• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Image is what trumps here and be a blow if Watson only got 6-8 games then next off season he lose one or more suits. Why would the NFL risk that when they can give an indefinite suspension at no risk.
Risk what? They can say they wanted a year suspension or indefinite but thought it would look bad if they overruled the federal judge they had a hand in appointing.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Risk what? They can say they wanted a year suspension or indefinite but thought it would look bad if they overruled the federal judge they had a hand in appointing.
Risk having Watson getting off light, then having one or more of the suits becoming big news if Watson loses any of them In 2023.Why wouldn’t the NFL give a indefinite suspension? I doubt the NFL is worried about over ruling the arbiter and not sure the arbiter doesn’t rule indefinite suspension either.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Risk having Watson getting off light, then having one or more of the suits becoming big news if Watson loses any of them In 2023.Why wouldn’t the NFL give a indefinite suspension? I doubt the NFL is worried about over ruling the arbiter and not sure the arbiter doesn’t rule indefinite suspension either.
She could but if the NFL cares what the public thinks and they likely do it would be a bad look to overrule someone who is probably better than they are at making unbiased decisions based evidence/facts in the first case she ever had for the league.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She could but if the NFL cares what the public thinks and they likely do it would be a bad look to overrule someone who is probably better than they are at making unbiased decisions based evidence/facts in the first case she ever had for the league.
Over ruling a arbiter who may not care as much about the NFL image or the hit to the NFL image should Watson lose one or more suits after a light sentence. Which would the NFL choice IYO?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over ruling a arbiter who may not care as much about the NFL image or the hit to the NFL image should Watson lose one or more suits after a light sentence. Which would the NFL choice IYO?
Unless hiring this person was a farce they should listen to the judge and not make decisions based on their own biases.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless hiring this person was a farce they should listen to the judge and not make decisions based on their own biases.
Hiring this person was a bone for the NFLPA I doubt the NFL has any qualms about over ruling the decision if they feel it doesn’t protect the NFL image adequately. We should know by the end of the month.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hiring this person was a bone for the NFLPA I doubt the NFL has any qualms about over ruling the decision if they feel it doesn’t protect the NFL image adequately. We should know by the end of the month.
But the NFLPA and the player might have qualms about it and he could file a lawsuit. thinking the owners - especially the Texans - might not want that.

I think it will be more toward end of month, too, as opposed to soon as some have speculated.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the NFLPA and the player might have qualms about it and he could file a lawsuit. thinking the owners - especially the Texans - might not want that.

I think it will be more toward end of month, too, as opposed to soon as some have speculated.
The CBA the NFLPA signed gives the NFL this power to over rule a decision. So on what basis would the NFLPA sue for?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CBA the NFLPA signed gives the NFL this power to over rule a decision. So on what basis would the NFLPA sue for?
Watson might sue if a biased commissioner overrules a federal judge with no evidence/facts to overturn her ruling. I mean, if the NFL was just going to rule how they wanted why would they even be trying to negotiate a settlement with him and the NFLPA?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson might sue if a biased commissioner overrules a federal judge with no evidence/facts to overturn her ruling. I mean, if the NFL was just going to rule how they wanted why would they even be trying to negotiate a settlement with him and the NFLPA?
She isn’t a federal judge, she’s a arbiter and the process was laid out in the CBA. The NFL was never relinquishing the final word when protecting the NFL. Watson will have to accept the consequences of his actions and I honestly think that’s best for him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She isn’t a federal judge, she’s a arbiter and the process was laid out in the CBA. The NFL was never relinquishing the final word when protecting the NFL. Watson will have to accept the consequences of his actions and I honestly think that’s best for him.
NFL has relinquished final word if she comes back with no suspension in any ruling so your comment is factually incorrect.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL has relinquished final word if she comes back with no suspension in any ruling so your comment is factually incorrect.
Yes I have mentioned that if no penalty is given then that’s that. Highly unlikely don’t you think?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I have mentioned that if no penalty is given then that’s that. Highly unlikely don’t you think?
Yet you just said this, making you factually incorrect - "The NFL was never relinquishing the final word when protecting the NFL."

Yes, I do think it's unlikely Watson gets off with no suspension but seems more likely than it was a few weeks ago. In addition, they didn't bring her on for just 1 case. There could be others so the NFL did, in fact, agree to relinquish final word.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:susp: We are talking about the NFL & more importantly Goodell.
They will always go by his bias.
Only thing she is really gonna say is yes or no he deserves punishment.
Then Goodell is gonna be Goodell.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am thinking DTgold is either a family member of Watson &/or a teenager based on the way he argues.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet you just said this, making you factually incorrect - "The NFL was never relinquishing the final word when protecting the NFL."

Yes, I do think it's unlikely Watson gets off with no suspension but seems more likely than it was a few weeks ago. In addition, they didn't bring her on for just 1 case. There could be others so the NFL did, in fact, agree to relinquish final word.
Well excuse me. Of course if Watson is innocent then there is nothing to be done. Thought we all understood this.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am thinking DTgold is either a family member of Watson &/or a teenager based on the way he argues.

Logic, facts, objectivity and reason not your thing I guess? You prefer bias, agenda and contradiction.

In many matters I agree with your last comment about Goodell. Just not so sure on the first case this judge has they will overrule her. He certainly might though.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well excuse me. Of course if Watson is innocent then there is nothing to be done. Thought we all understood this.
Clearly you didn't if you made this comment as Robinson could have the final word - "The NFL was never relinquishing the final word when protecting the NFL."