• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh the NFL is very emotional, kind of like you.

The NFL wants no discredit to come to the shield.

Good PR is their number one priority.
Yep...which is why they continue to say they want a year or longer when they really might not even care if he gets that long.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL wants a indefinite suspension I hear, so that’s the likely punishment at the end.
I mean, you think they are going to try and discredit the federal judge they had a hand in appointing if she rules for a lot less games?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL leaked an indefinite suspension, with a minimum of a year. I suspect that it will be indefinite, with Watson able to apply for reinstatement next spring if he has fulfilled certain requirements.

i.e. I don't think a definitive return date will be coming this year, but it's possible he plays all of 2023.

And remember, if there's any punishment at all, Goodell can impose any conditions he wants. Vick for example had to agree to psychiatric testing and then continued counseling.
Yes, he can change the ruling but if the NFL is about optics (and I think they are) is Goodell going to essentially try and discredit a federal judge the league had a hand in appointing for his own self interests?

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, you think they are going to try and discredit the federal judge they had a hand in appointing if she rules for a lot less games?
You think she might want to listen to the nfl if she likes being the judge for them?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think she might want to listen to the nfl if she likes being the judge for them?
I think she'll do what a judge is supposed to do and rule based on the evidence presented to her. You think she can essentially be bought and that's cool if that is your opinion.

NFLPA also had a hand in hiring her.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about discredit but I do feel they will over rule it if they feel it’s best for the NFL. If you watched the y tube video they talk about the effects if Watson loses one of the four civil suits or loses more then one. They also mentioned the possibility of more suits being filed. A indefinite suspension is the best course for the league.
However the judge may give a indefinite suspension, we have no way of knowing.

Last edited:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about discredit but I do feel they will over rule it if they feel it’s best for the NFL. If you watched the y tube video they talk about the effects if Watson loses one of the four civil suits or loses more then one. They also mentioned the possibility of more suits being filed. A indefinite suspension is the best course for the league.
However the judge may give a indefinite suspension, we have no way of knowing.
changing her ruling is discrediting her.

But, sure, still cannot know what her ruling will be. Hell, could still be no games in which case NFL is powerless.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
changing her ruling is discrediting her.

But, sure, still cannot know what her ruling will be. Hell, could still be no games in which case NFL is powerless.
Courts regularly over turn lower court decisions. Think your being over dramatic here.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he can change the ruling but if the NFL is about optics (and I think they are) is Goodell going to essentially try and discredit a federal judge the league had a hand in appointing for his own self interests?
That’s a factor, among other factors. Goodell is responsible for a product and has to be concerned about image, which is something judges normally discard.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, judges overturn judges. Goodell's on the level of a federal judge?
He has the final word in the world of the NFL, over ruling Sue Robinson would be no surprise if it happens. The NFL is the golden goose that lays golden eggs for everyone benefit. With 4 cases that may get adjudicated next off season and the possibility of more suits being filed it's in the NFL interest ( so in everyone best interest except Watson and Browns) that a indefinite suspension happens so as not to damage the league image and allows for rulings of the lawsuits to still be part of the consideration on a suspension.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, judges overturn judges. Goodell's on the level of a federal judge?
Here? Of course. The question will be how much of a stink the NFLPA raises if there’s a massive increase by Goodell (especially if it’s financial).

If Goodell adds, say, a counseling requirement, NFLPA grumbling will probably be minimal.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here? Of course. The question will be how much of a stink the NFLPA raises if there’s a massive increase by Goodell (especially if it’s financial).

If Goodell adds, say, a counseling requirement, NFLPA grumbling will probably be minimal.
I feel requiring counseling or therapy is a real good idea, think Watson needs it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CBA gives Goodell that power. You might want to research the powers CBA's give to leadership.
I'm aware Goodell has the power to overturn the decision as I've said more than once (as mentioned, if struggling with comprehension just ask), but she's a federal judge which carries a bit more prestige when it comes to making fair decisions.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has the final word in the world of the NFL, over ruling Sue Robinson would be no surprise if it happens. The NFL is the golden goose that lays golden eggs for everyone benefit. With 4 cases that may get adjudicated next off season and the possibility of more suits being filed it's in the NFL interest ( so in everyone best interest except Watson and Browns) that a indefinite suspension happens so as not to damage the league image and allows for rulings of the lawsuits to still be part of the consideration on a suspension.
a surprise? No, but if concerned about optics it would be bad optics.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's on me as I did not word this correctly. Yes, Goodell has the same role as a judge in this case when it comes to who makes the final decision (even moreso unless she gives him no suspension).

But as you kind of alluded earlier the judge is a bit better at being a judge as she likely wont be concerned with image and instead will focus on facts/evidence.

agree I doubt the NFL fights mandatory counseling...hopefully they are suggesting it regardless.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a surprise? No, but if concerned about optics it would be bad optics.
Bad optics would be giving Watson a moderate suspension then having Watson lose the lawsuits against him and having more cases filed.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think where people struggle on this debate is that some people are still working under the assumption that the league cares if Watson is guilty

I can assure you they do not

They care about bad PR, loss of sponsors and loss of money

That's it

They're going to error on the side of overkill and deal with the very very minimal pushback they'd receive for it as opposed to the monster backlash they'd get from going soft on Watson

That's just the reality and they've proven it time and time and time again.