• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be against it. Since it only helps Watson he is the one that is supposed to being punished. He voluntarily sat out last season. & the money he made in 2021 (that he would give back) is less than he would lose in 2023. That would be catering to the guilty.

Now if I am the Texans. I would be all for it. They would get his salary back for the next cap & maybe even be able to go after part of his signing bonus he never deserved.

On the plus side though. Would love to watch thousands of women protesting Goodells house & office everyday.
doubt the NFL cares what any of us thinks and sure doesn't seem like his suspension will be spilling into 2023 right now. But who knows?

Texans would likely like it to go away as they are also named in the suit. also maybe a reason the league wants it to go away?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doubt the NFL cares what any of us thinks and sure doesn't seem like his suspension will be spilling into 2023 right now. But who knows?

Texans would likely like it to go away as they are also named in the suit. also maybe a reason the league wants it to go away?
well if they use 2021 it definitely wouldnt go into 2023.
the example used was if he got a 25 game suspension (17 in 2021) & 8 this season. Imagine the 25 would be for optics.
without using the 2021 season that suspension would go into 2023.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but if it was agreed upon prostitution, we most likely never hear of it.
That is why I said most women would drop out. I bet most women agreed to have sex or do what he wanted, in most instances. However, taking money for a sexual act is illegal, even in Texas. So both the woman and Watson are liable for that. Watson is looking at 24 to 26 counts of solicitation which also falls under coercion, the women are each looking at at least one count of prostitution if they took money for the act.

Is paying for sex coercion?

If you pay money for sex, it's coercion. If you offer food to a starving person in exchange for sex, it's coercion. If you pay rent for or give a home to a homeless runaway in exchange for sex, it's coercion. If you threaten harm to someone or their family unless that person has sex with you, it's coercion.

Supposedly,

A judge can sentence you to up to 60 days in jail for a third-degree misdemeanor. They can also fine you up to $500. Felony convictions for solicitation carry the possibility of more severe penalties. A fifth-degree felony can result in six months to a year of jail time and a fine of up to $2,500.

Now what about 24 to 26 accounts of this? Where would this fall?

The way I see it, should the NFL suspend Watson for his acts? Probably, but in reality, it should be dealing with that after Watson goes to prison for a couple years. However, he is rich and famous and will get a slap on the wrist. He will probably see little to no suspension time. The commissioner is saving face by saying he wants a stricter punishment and he gets to throw the punishment back on a impartial judge who happens to be a woman. So now his hands are clean, Watson gets little to nothing as far as punishment. The women get a payday, and only a few that he probably did coerce or threaten don't get justice.

It is a shitty world, and the rich and famous keep getting away with whatever they want.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well if they use 2021 it definitely wouldnt go into 2023.
the example used was if he got a 25 game suspension (17 in 2021) & 8 this season. Imagine the 25 would be for optics.
without using the 2021 season that suspension would go into 2023.
correct. the 25 for optics only. Looking less and less likely his suspension goes beyond 2022.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool....but if the NFL is not emotional like the fans they may not want a year and saying they do is just posturing.
Oh the NFL is very emotional, kind of like you.

The NFL wants no discredit to come to the shield.

Good PR is their number one priority.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All your facts do not equal a year long suspension or maybe not even any suspension.
Sullivan may hand down separate suspensions - one game for this case, four games for that, three games for #3, no games for #4, etc.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prostitution. If he paid or tipped beyond a reasonable amount, this act can be seen as prostitution and with it violate the league conduct policy. However, at that point, the women should be looked at as well and charges be brought against them for prostitution, which could mean jail time for them. At that point, I bet nearly every woman drops out of this, which is probably why they wanted to settle as quickly as they could so they could get their payday and avoid any of these issues.
Offering to get someone off in exchange for money is prostitution, but somebody getting off and then overpaying for a different service is not.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offering to get someone off in exchange for money is prostitution, but somebody getting off and then overpaying for a different service is not.
So are you saying paying for a Happy Ending isn't prostitution?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL wants a indefinite suspension I hear, so that’s the likely punishment at the end.
Nope, if you paid any attention to the case. It’s now likely less than a year. Indefinite is extremely unlikely. In fact, Florio says he wouldn’t be surprised if he gets no suspension. Yes, the guy that has been on the opposite side of the spectrum the entire time. Now I doubt it’s zero but I have said from the start 6-10, I still believe it

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Florio has a hard on for Baker, this has been going on for awhile now. I just don't value his opinion at all bc of track record, it's awful

Florio is a click whore,everyone know this.
I'll stand by my statement that Florio is a click whore. Literally you can't believe a word he says and I say that regardless of what side he's taking up.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, if you paid any attention to the case. It’s now likely less than a year. Indefinite is extremely unlikely. In fact, Florio says he wouldn’t be surprised if he gets no suspension. Yes, the guy that has been on the opposite side of the spectrum the entire time. Now I doubt it’s zero but I have said from the start 6-10, I still believe it
Good luck with all that

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for US legislation but that argument has been tried in UK courts and it was thrown out. For reference at 1 time Sunday trading was illegal in the UK except for certain services such as gas and some foods. A DIY store opened on Sunday and sold members of the public a piece of fruit for the same price as the items in their shopping cart and 'gave' those customers their shopping cart 'for free'. The police stepped in and successfully prosecuted. Within a year the law was changed to allow Sunday trading. Easter Sunday and Christmas day are the only days on which the old law still applies in the UK. Even Supermarkets can't open on those days.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for US legislation but that argument has been tried in UK courts and it was thrown out. For reference at 1 time Sunday trading was illegal in the UK except for certain services such as gas and some foods. A DIY store opened on Sunday and sold members of the public a piece of fruit for the same price as the items in their shopping cart and 'gave' those customers their shopping cart 'for free'. The police stepped in and successfully prosecuted. Within a year the law was changed to allow Sunday trading. Easter Sunday and Christmas day are the only days on which the old law still applies in the UK. Even Supermarkets can't open on those days.
That case was systematic. This is a single event on the part of each woman.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct. the 25 for optics only. Looking less and less likely his suspension goes beyond 2022.
The NFL leaked an indefinite suspension, with a minimum of a year. I suspect that it will be indefinite, with Watson able to apply for reinstatement next spring if he has fulfilled certain requirements.

i.e. I don't think a definitive return date will be coming this year, but it's possible he plays all of 2023.

And remember, if there's any punishment at all, Goodell can impose any conditions he wants. Vick for example had to agree to psychiatric testing and then continued counseling.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NFL insisted on an indefinite suspension while Deshaun Watson’s legal team argued there’s no basis for that punishment as both sides presented their cases in front of a retired judge in Delaware on Tuesday, two people in attendance told The Associated Press.

“The NFL is pushing for an indefinite suspension that would last no shorter than one year for Watson,” Beaton wrote. “… That would mean he would be out for one season, at least, before he could apply to be reinstated.”

The NFL insisted on an indefinite suspension while Deshaun Watson’s legal team argued there’s no basis for that punishment as both sides presented their cases in front of a retired judge in Delaware on Tuesday, two people in attendance told The Associated Press.

This is the first hearing for Robinson, who was the first woman Chief Judge for the District of Delaware. Previously, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell had the authority to impose discipline for violations of the personal conduct policy.

Still, Goodell holds considerable power. If either the union or league appeals Robinson’s decision, Goodell or his designee “will issue a written decision that will constitute full, final and complete disposition of the dispute,” per terms of Article 46 in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.