• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No big move from the Cavs?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously.

"Oh well, we're not trying to say Durant replacing Barnes isn't an upgrade. It's just that the Warriors gave up a lot of depth to get him."

Only meaningful bench player they lost is Barbosa, and maybe Ezeli. And the latter was just a big body, which West could probably duplicate his production.

Durant is the 3rd best FA signing of all time if one is assuming James was 1 and 2.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starters improved (Lost Barnes & Bogut, Gained Durant & Pachulia).

Bench worsened (Lost Barbosa, Speights, Ezeli, & Rush, Gained West & 2 rookies).

I think its more than fair to argue that the Warriors lost depth.

They lost bench depth, sure, but everyone they lost was easily replaceable. Their starting unit got a lot better, they kept their 2 most important bench players and added a 3rd who is better than anybody they lost.

They are only marginally more susceptible to injuries than they were before, because Barbosa is the only rotational bench player they did not replace with someone better.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we want to talk about how the Dubs lost depth, why don't we take a look at how the Cavs lost depth off an already thin bench.

We can and we have. Just because I think the Warriors lost depth... doesn't mean I'm saying the Cavs haven't.

Sometimes I think we frame comments on here too much by the logos under each other's names.

Everything I say isn't some grand defense of the Cavs.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They lost bench depth, sure, but everyone they lost was easily replaceable. Their starting unit got a lot better, they kept their 2 most important bench players and added a 3rd who is better than anybody they lost.

They are only marginally more susceptible to injuries than they were before, because Barbosa is the only rotational bench player they did not replace with someone better.
I might push back on your assessment of West a little bit... but I generally agree. Well said.

The other concern in addition to injury would be chemistry. Turning over almost half of a roster from a 73-win team sounds crazy until you hear why they did it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think it is a "BS made up injury", in order to get him off the books, then YES you are an idiot.

IF the Heat knew he would stay healthy, then OF COURSE you would want him to play, but from what I have read, Bosh wants to basically come off of the blood thinners hours before games start, which I would imagine would be a no go by ANY TEAM doctor.
Blood clots are SERIOUS SHIT.

This isn't some court case where you can hire an 'expert' to say anything.
that is certainly possible that no doctor would clear him- who knows

all i am saying is that if the Heat go through with that process--- and Bosh eventually can and does get cleared- even if he signs for someone- say the Cavs- for the minimum- if he plays 25 games every single red cent goes back on the Heats cap.

hmmmm.....this is gonna be VERY VERY interesting to see how it plays out....

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

all i am saying is that if the Heat go through with that process--- and Bosh eventually can and does get cleared- even if he signs for someone- say the Cavs- for the minimum- if he plays 25 games every single red cent goes back on the Heats cap.

I understand that, and Im also sure the Heat does.
Hypothetically, if that happened, would his new contract
void his old?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that, and Im also sure the Heat does.
Hypothetically, if that happened, would his new contract
void his old?
there might be offset language but he would get all the money...

like say Bosh signed for 1 year 10M.....i am assuming that 10M would offset what the Heat are paying him--- but in that scenario- there is no incentive for Bosh to get anything over the minimum because Miami picks up the balance anyway- you know what i mean?

its a screwed up situation because its a totally different conversation paying him 25 million or 1 million- you will take the risk for 1 million...with 25M it cripples your planning....but thems is the rules.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq to LA is EASILY better than Durant...not even close.

Possibly maybe.
Easily? No way.
You, rightfully so, has said the game has changed.
Durant is one of the deadliest shooter is the league, joining 2 others.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunleavy's who a very good role player....with a bad back. If we want to talk about how the Dubs lost depth, why don't we take a look at how the Cavs lost depth off an already thin bench.
what depth did the Cavs lose?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly maybe.
Easily? No way.
You, rightfully so, has said the game has changed.
Durant is one of the deadliest shooter is the league, joining 2 others.
he won 3 titles and 2 mvps! lol

maybe in 5 years it will be an argument- but as of now its not even close.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there might be offset language but he would get all the money...

like say Bosh signed for 1 year 10M.....i am assuming that 10M would offset what the Heat are paying him--- but in that scenario- there is no incentive for Bosh to get anything over the minimum because Miami picks up the balance anyway- you know what i mean?

its a screwed up situation because its a totally different conversation paying him 25 million or 1 million- you will take the risk for 1 million...with 25M it cripples your planning....but thems is the rules.

Plus, if someone signed him to big bucks, then that team becomes the Heat moving forward
Its just not happening.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, if someone signed him to big bucks, then that team becomes the Heat moving forward
Its just not happening.
yah no one would give him any kind of cash....he could basically pick his destination- sign a min. deal and get paid 25M a year....

that sounds pretty attractive if you are CB.....

This is a very very complicated situation for Miami....if CB wants to play and can get someone to clear him- i dont see how this does not become a big mess all around....i honestly love watching this stuff and how it plays out--- all the rules and stuff...its fascinating to me.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a hypothetical situation that will probably never arise. It probably would go on the same spectrum as, well Lebron could retire tomorrow, than what do the Cavs do?

Bosh is not going to get clear. He has re-occurring blood clots. He's bringing up that he can be on a special medication type blood thinner that he could allow to leave his body 8-12 hours before a game. No doctor is going to clear him to play in the NBA, particularly if there's not a significant use case study and wide analysis of its effects.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a hypothetical situation that will probably never arise. It probably would go on the same spectrum as, well Lebron could retire tomorrow, than what do the Cavs do?

Bosh is not going to get clear. He has re-occurring blood clots. He's bringing up that he can be on a special medication type blood thinner that he could allow to leave his body 8-12 hours before a game. No doctor is going to clear him to play in the NBA, particularly if there's not a significant use case study and wide analysis of its effects.
you really dont think a guy making millions can get a doctor to clear him?

cynically - unfortunately- i just dont think thats how the world works.....we shall see though...I am only saying its a possibility because of how contentious this is getting between the parties.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you really dont think a guy making millions can get a doctor to clear him?

cynically - unfortunately- i just dont think thats how the world works.....we shall see though...I am only saying its a possibility because of how contentious this is getting between the parties.

A doctor has already cleared Bosh. And guess what? Bosh still didn't play. And if it gets to its ugliest state - who do you think the NBA will side with - the Heat? or Bosh? You being a lawyer, you should know that answer. A team of physicians employed by the NBA would not even give a second look to Bosh playing.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,131.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will probably add someone before the trade deadline...why rush tho, they are the champs, and prob should be the 2 time champs...no need to rush changes
i agree with you one hundred percent. and i think like it took the heat big 3 a few years to get some chemistry going. im sure it will take these guys a few years to get some chemistry developed