• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NLDS: San Francisco Giants vs. Chicago Cubs

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to repeat anything, you are wrong and don't know it.

If the runner gets a great jump the throw goes to first.

If the second baseman isn't in position the throw is to first, these are things I have already said.

Everyone in and around the game agrees with me.

These guys are the best of the best, this isn't pee wee's finding the bag it is something they could do in their sleep.

Which is more likely to happen an error on a throw from 20 feet or an error on a throw from 110 feet?
IS is not an argument against SHOULD.

THEY USED TO NOT SHIFT. NOW THEY DO. One is better. But if we used your IS argument, both would be right because it IS what they did.

It isn't pee wee. So a throw to first is routine, not an adventure.

An 18" step is THREE TIMES as long as a 6" step. Guess what? Both are routine for a person to take.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am kind of surprised someone is legitimately arguing a throw to 2nd is more likely to be an error than a throw to first as a shortstop...
That's not the argument. All those variables i mentioned aren't under 'error' , right?

Lots of things can happen that are not ERRORS to foul up that play. I wrote them down twice for you.

So it's not error vs error. It's getting the out vs not getting it

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IS is not an argument against SHOULD.

THEY USED TO NOT SHIFT. NOW THEY DO. One is better. But if we used your IS argument, both would be right because it IS what they did.

It isn't pee wee. So a throw to first is routine, not an adventure.

An 18" step is THREE TIMES as long as a 6" step. Guess what? Both are routine for a person to take.

Okay you win, you should probably call managers around the world and tell them they are doing it wrong. :suds:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is amazing how fast you go from popping bottles in the locker room to the brink of elimination in the MLB playoffs.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although he hits lots of grounders to 2b, it's amazing how many times heyward hits a ball hard for an out

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I like Rondon pitching here.
EDIT: didn't know lefty was up

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the argument. All those variables i mentioned aren't under 'error' , right?

Lots of things can happen that are not ERRORS to foul up that play. I wrote them down twice for you.

So it's not error vs error. It's getting the out vs not getting it
Okie dokie, ElTexan. Just expand the obviously limited scorecard definition of an error and your point fairly quickly turns into a nonpoint. Any even semi-generic situation and the shorter path is to 2nd, and therefore an easier out in most situations. If not, go to 1st assuming nothing wacky is going on. Seems like a ghost ship argument to me.

Yes we know there are variables, lots of them. Doesn't change that throwing to 2nd is usually the easier play.

30 feet vs 100 feet.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okie dokie, ElTexan. Just expand the obviously limited scorecard definition of an error and your point fairly quickly turns into a nonpoint. Any even semi-generic situation and the shorter path is to 2nd, and therefore an easier out in most situations. If not, go to 1st assuming nothing wacky is going on. Seems like a ghost ship argument to me.

Yes we know there are variables, lots of them. Doesn't change that throwing to 2nd is usually the easier play.

30 feet vs 100 feet.
You keep claiming that with no argument except it's a shorter throw.
But a throw to first is routine for an MLB player.
And you get to take out allll those other variables we've discussed.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
091516_cubs_flag_med_3_fqqoz3ho.gif

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The point your missing is it's also ROUTINE for a MLB shortstop to make the throw to second. The variables you keep mentioning aren't variables for guys that have done it 100,000 times, if you look at both options again for the like 7th time you are more likely to make an error throwing the ball to first than the easier throw to second no matter the variables, the shortstop doesn't have to throw the ball between his legs to second, the second baseman doesn't have to catch the ball with his teeth, the entire baseball world disagrees with you and has for 145 years. Let it go already, you are wrong...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A throw to virtually any base is routine for anyone in the infield at the MLB level. What on Earth are you getting at? There's a reason fielding percentages are around 99%. They don't miss the balls they get to very often; and the context you mention definitely isn't about a SS rolling into the hole while torquing left or something like that which would be a pocketball probably. If there's something unusual about the play, the human mind processes that information incredibly quickly (like on the order of nanoseconds in some cases) then by all means go to first.

It should be fairly obvious that accuracy decreases with increased distance. I dislike making football analogies when it comes to baseball, but look up how completion percentage goes down as air yards increase. This isn't rocket science.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you guys wasting your time arguing with that guy? Lol.

It's pretty widely known he's clueless 100% of the time.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be tough going up against Arrieta. The Cubs starting rotation is so freaking deep
Better believe the Cubs will throw the kitchen sink at the Giants if they get a lead too in an elimination game for the Giants. Bullpen specialization is brutal in the playoffs.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better believe the Cubs will throw the kitchen sink at the Giants if they get a lead too in an elimination game for the Giants. Bullpen specialization is brutal in the playoffs.

And if Bum defeats Arrieta then the Cubs throw Lackey out there in game 4

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if Bum defeats Arrieta then the Cubs throw Lackey out there in game 4
Yeah, there's little reason for Maddon to not go for a killshot in game 3 if they're up 2-3 runs with the bullpen after 5-6 innings. Lackey would probably just go 6-7 the next game. Bum is going to have to be on his game, or else.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you guys wasting your time arguing with that guy? Lol.

It's pretty widely known he's clueless 100% of the time.

It can't be that widely known, me and Moose obviously didn't know... lolzzz

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there's little reason for Maddon to not go for a killshot in game 3 if they're up 2-3 runs with the bullpen after 5-6 innings. Lackey would probably just got 6-7 the next game. Bum is going to have to be on his game, or else.

Yep Giants dropped the ball when they wasted the gem by Cueto last night.