• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NLDS: Dodgers vs Giants

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brainstorming here…. Not sure I even like this idea. I just want to see what you guys think about it…

WC game remains as-is.

LDS gets reseeded, but the WC team still loses HFA to whatever team it plays in the LDS.

So this year, instead of…

LAD @ SF
Atl @ Mil

it would have been…

Atl @ SF
LAD @ Mil

And if the WC team wins in the LDS, the still lose HFA against whatever team they play in the LCS.

#1 seed still gets the benefit of the “easiest” team and the WC team still gets “punished” by not having HFA until, potentially, the WS.

Yup this is what i was proposing when we talked about it.

It’s the best possible way to get everyone what they deserve.

Dodgers didn’t win a division so they shouldn’t get homefield. That’s how sports have always worked.

But they shoulda played Milwaukee

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that sucked. I hate seeing that happen to any team. Getting the call right probably just delays the inevitable considering Flores was 0-17 vs. Scherzer. But you still have to get that call right and give the guy a chance. I mean, Bellinger struggled all season, was 2-48 against the Giants going into the series and ended up getting the series winning hit.
Yeah, as much as I hate the Dodgers, if one guy deserved to be the hero after all that he's been through this year, (shoulder surgery, broken leg, fractured ribs) its Bellinger.
You don't know what would have happened with Flores, odds are he'd have been retired by Sherzer. What really killed the Giants was the two ball fours to Bryant in the third that the umpire missed. If he gets the walk he earned, Crawford is on second, goes to third on that wild pitch instead of second and scores on the ground ball to second base for a 1-nothing lead. Instead he died at third base.
Crazy how a season can come down to one pitch. but so many Giant hitters were completely overmatched in this game from Flores to Longoria to Yastrzemski to Slater. Those guys had no chance up there

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brainstorming here…. Not sure I even like this idea. I just want to see what you guys think about it…

WC game remains as-is.

LDS gets reseeded, but the WC team still loses HFA to whatever team it plays in the LDS.

So this year, instead of…

LAD @ SF
Atl @ Mil

it would have been…

Atl @ SF
LAD @ Mil

And if the WC team wins in the LDS, the still lose HFA against whatever team they play in the LCS.

#1 seed still gets the benefit of the “easiest” team and the WC team still gets “punished” by not having HFA until, potentially, the WS.
Spilt milk.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't have a problem with the Dodgers having to play a wild card game. So I wouldn't necessarily want to change that. But they should then re-seed for the divisional series. Otherwise, you risk the LCS being anti-climactic.

Having said that, the Braves took the Dodgers to 7 games last year (even went up 3-1)...so what do I know? lol
I suspect it will be. The Braves are little more than a .500 club. I really have no interest in watching it. Now, the ALCS, that is going to be a good one.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not talking about this year. I have been vocal that I like the current system, and our losing does not change that. Live by/die by and all that stuff…
Still a big disappointment but I think the better, more playoff-experienced team won unfortunately. The weaknesses of several of our hitters was really exposed in this series by good Dodger pitching. That said, they provided a lot of excitement and joy this year and were by far the most interesting team in baseball this season.
I'm not sure I like the one-game play in between the wild card teams. Baseball is too crazy and in one game anything can happen. That sudden death is to quick and too little a reward for a 162-game grind. I'd like to see it be best of three. The Dodgers did not deserve to be in a one and done situation after the season they had.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still a big disappointment but I think the better, more playoff-experienced team won unfortunately. The weaknesses of several of our hitters was really exposed in this series by good Dodger pitching. That said, they provided a lot of excitement and joy this year and were by far the most interesting team in baseball this season.

I think their over/under on wins was something like 74.5 going into the season. The question for them, imo, is whether or not what they did is sustainable. Seems like some guys had some career years at the same time.

I'm not sure I like the one-game play in between the wild card teams. Baseball is too crazy and in one game anything can happen. That sudden death is to quick and too little a reward for a 162-game grind. I'd like to see it be best of three. The Dodgers did not deserve to be in a one and done situation after the season they had.

I'm on the fence about it. On the one hand, the sudden death aspect of it ramps up the pressure and excitement. But, as you point out, baseball can be crazy at times and as much fun as upsets can be...ultimately folks want to see the best teams advancing.

One proposal that I heard and liked was in the wild card game, the team with the worse record has to win twice and the team with the better record, only once to advance.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the Dodgers even though they haven't announced a starter for game 1.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think their over/under on wins was something like 74.5 going into the season. The question for them, imo, is whether or not what they did is sustainable. Seems like some guys had some career years at the same time.

I'm on the fence about it. On the one hand, the sudden death aspect of it ramps up the pressure and excitement. But, as you point out, baseball can be crazy at times and as much fun as upsets can be...ultimately folks want to see the best teams advancing.

One proposal that I heard and liked was in the wild card game, the team with the worse record has to win twice and the team with the better record, only once to advance.
That's a good idea, like the new NBA idea with the 9th and 10th seeds having to win twice...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the Dodgers even though they haven't announced a starter for game 1.
You like the Dodgers? Stop the presses.

Is this a must win game?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's game 1, you bitter and butthurt loser.
I mean, you were right about game 5 being must win, just trying to get more of your always insightful commentary

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think its sustainable. This was the year for them to do it. Lots of guys had career years and everything that could go right, went right for the Giants. Seemed like every decision Kaplar made turned out well. I could got for the proposal you suggested for the Wild Card format; anything is better than the current win or go home. Could you imagine if St Louis knocked out L.A. Could have easily happened.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Braves fans....

Gotta get some sleep.....we leave for Nashville in the AM.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect it will be. The Braves are little more than a .500 club. I really have no interest in watching it. Now, the ALCS, that is going to be a good one.
Another all-timer from Monty LOL

You're such a fuckin' retard.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves were only one of the winningest teams in the 2nd half...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another all-timer from Monty LOL

You're such a fuckin' retard.
Get over it already. We lost to a better team that out-played us. Stop your childish whining.