• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL ball for two with the Dodgers.....8/28-29th

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but why not play 2019 as a long spring training for the kids
No problem here. Thinking that is what we'll see. A continuation of evaluation.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem here. Thinking that is what we'll see. A continuation of evaluation.
hope so. and don't spend money on medical retreads or level 4 or 5 starters. sign that one starter that you build a rotation around. tell him: look we want you to be our #1 and sign with us for 3 or 4 years. we will build the rest of the rotation from our young guys with you as the focal point and the leader. we will probably suck for the first couple of years until they get their feet under them but you will be the anchor that allows us to build a franchise

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
King Felix to the bull pen. Only death and taxes are forever.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't speak for the Rangers and JD but absolutely none on my part. take the $22m and sign a quality #1 or 2 and stop wasting money on dregs

Big difference between can and should.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too many if's, maybe's etc in that way of thinking. and expecting some of them to be ready by 2021 maybe over evaluating them. TJ surgery could mean 2 or 3 won't make the bigs before 2022
There are a lot of "ifs" and "maybes" any way you go about it. That is why you continue to add prospects to the system. You can't add more free agents than you need hoping some will work out. We have also shown that you can't make a lot of trades hoping guys like Lucroy and Beltran will work out, not to mention Hamels.

You can, however, stockpile prospects hoping enough can work out so you only have to fill in with free agents.

Every way you attempt to go about it carries risks and potential disappointments.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hope so. and don't spend money on medical retreads or level 4 or 5 starters. sign that one starter that you build a rotation around. tell him: look we want you to be our #1 and sign with us for 3 or 4 years. we will build the rest of the rotation from our young guys with you as the focal point and the leader. we will probably suck for the first couple of years until they get their feet under them but you will be the anchor that allows us to build a franchise
I think you might be able to sell that idea a lot easier a couple of years from now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another really good outing from Alexy.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember a time when we were this deep in starting pitching in our system.

I don't think it is overly optimistic at all to think this system could produce four-fifths of a rotation for a team with WS aspirations. Now, which four of the five spots is the question.

This is a lot different than when we were hoping that all three of the DVD group had to make an impact.

Following this group of pitchers over the next couple of seasons is going to be a lot of fun.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you might be able to sell that idea a lot easier a couple of years from now.

Mentioned this before but I predict a SP FA significant signing 2019 offseason to help sell tickets to new ballpark. Just good for business

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost in the great success that DeMarcus Evans has had out of the bullpen in Hickory is what Joe Barlow has done out of that same bullpen. His ERA for the season stands at 1.71 through 59 innings. He has walked way too many batters, but he has turned that around in his last 13 outings.

In his 59 innings for the year he has struck out 91. He has also walked 41, but only allowed 21 hits.

However, in his last 13 outings he has only walked 6 in 21 innings while allowing only 6 hits. In those 21 innings he has struck out 35.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mentioned this before but I predict a SP FA significant signing 2019 offseason to help sell tickets to new ballpark. Just good for business
At one point they thought signing Chan Ho Park would be good to sell tickets.

Finding a fit in the offseason just prior to opening up the new ballpark may be as hard as finding a fit last year when we were trying to trade Darvish or this year when seeking to trade Beltre or Choo.

When they signed Chan HO they forced a fit. We don't need that to tie up finances that may be needed in the future.

I guess I am trying to say that just because we have a new stadium coming doesn't mean there will be a prudent fit to be found.

Can you remember any big starting pitching free agent signings the winter before the Ballpark opened? Me neither. I had to look it up. The biggest one was Bruce Hurst who was coming off of surgery and retired mid-season in 1994. Our biggest hitter that we signed that offseason was Will Clark and he was a fallback option because we couldn't afford Palmeiro.

I just don't think we should expect a big signing just because of the new ballpark. I think our team rebuilding timeline and the timeline for the building of the new ballpark are separate and have nothing to do with each other. We should have started a couple of years earlier with our rebuilding timeline if we wanted those two to influence each other.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Backdating it shows their hope he can pitch one more time this year.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At one point they thought signing Chan Ho Park would be good to sell tickets.

Finding a fit in the offseason just prior to opening up the new ballpark may be as hard as finding a fit last year when we were trying to trade Darvish or this year when seeking to trade Beltre or Choo.

When they signed Chan HO they forced a fit. We don't need that to tie up finances that may be needed in the future.

I just don't think we should expect a big signing just because of the new ballpark. I think our team rebuilding timeline and the timeline for the building of the new ballpark are separate and have nothing to do with each other. We should have started a couple of years earlier with our rebuilding timeline if we wanted those two to influence each other.

Is it not obvious that signings like Moore, Fister and Colon are stopgaps. Unless we can fill in from within I would expect the same this offseason. But the following season you would hope we would sign someone good who would perform a bit more better than Chan Ho Park. Of course it should be based on need and a desire to compete in 2020. Hopefully players have progressed such that not too many pieces are needed.

I just think attendance will be down quite a bit this coming year. Perhaps some ticket packages that include incentive for 2020 will help

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is overly optimistic at all to think this system could produce four-fifths of a rotation for a team with WS aspirations. Now, which four of the five spots is the question.

We haven't produced 4 decent starters in the past 20 years, yet we're going to do this all in a few seasons?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ARLINGTON - Martin Perez's time as a starter for the Rangers is done. And it sounds like in a month, his Rangers career will be, too.

In a brief postgame meeting following the Rangers' 3-2 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers Wednesday, the club informed Perez he had been moved from the rotation to the bullpen for the remainder of the season.

Also, in a frank evaluation, Jon Daniels told him that "as of today," the club probably wouldn't pick up his $7.5 million option for 2019. But the team left open the possibility of re-evaluating the decision based on how he looks as a short-stint reliever for the next month. If the Rangers don't pick up the option, they would owe Perez a $750,000 buyout.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ARLINGTON - Martin Perez's time as a starter for the Rangers is done. And it sounds like in a month, his Rangers career will be, too.

In a brief postgame meeting following the Rangers' 3-2 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers Wednesday, the club informed Perez he had been moved from the rotation to the bullpen for the remainder of the season.

Also, in a frank evaluation, Jon Daniels told him that "as of today," the club probably wouldn't pick up his $7.5 million option for 2019. But the team left open the possibility of re-evaluating the decision based on how he looks as a short-stint reliever for the next month. If the Rangers don't pick up the option, they would owe Perez a $750,000 buyout.

Personally, I hope they move on from him.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it should be this off-season not a couple of years from now. the longer you delay the longer it will take for the rebuild to reach the desired result

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

about what he's worth