• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL refs still suck

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today branch got flagged for helmet to helmet hit when he was tackling with head up, Bijon drops his head spears crown of it into Branch's facemask and Branch gets called for the foul,

Yup. Retarded call. He was below chest level too.

This is biggest reason why fans think NFL refs aren't very good.

That is an OBVIOUS helmet to helmet hit that should be called every time yet you have people come in here and complain about it. A defender leading with a crown of his helmet to make a tackle who creates helmet to helmet contact. EXACTLY the play that refs this year have been told by the league to pay special attention to it.

Fans are wrong WAY more often than NFL officials are. Way more. And NFL officials have to make the call in a split second while NFL fans get the benefit of replay and time. And NFL officials still get right more often than most fans.

NFL referees are fantastic. It's unbelievable how many plays they get right the first time in real time. Most fans need to go volunteer to ref a high school game and then come back here and see what they have to say about NFL refs. And then to make it even more interesting, they should get a replay of each call that they made slowed down to frame by frame and taken from nearly each conceivable angle and then get to talk to a biased fans who only see what they want to see.

Are NFL officials perfect? Of course not. But they really are unbelievably good at what they do 99.9% of the time.

NFL refs dont miss more calls than they used to.....NFL fans have just become a lot bigger bitches.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is biggest reason why fans think NFL refs aren't very good.

That is an OBVIOUS helmet to helmet hit that should be called every time yet you have people come in here and complain about it. A defender leading with a crown of his helmet to make a tackle. EXACTLY the play that refs this year have been told by the league to pay special attention to it.

Fans are wrong WAY more often than NFL officials are. Way more. And NFL officials have to make the call in a split second while NFL fans get the benefit of replay and time. And NFL officials still get right more often than most fans.

NFL referees are fantastic. It's unbelievable how many plays they get right the first time in real time. Most fans need to go volunteer to ref a high school game and then come back here and see what they have to say about NFL refs. And then to make it even more interesting, they should get a replay of each call that they made slowed down to frame by frame and taken from nearly each conceivable angle and then get to talk to a biased fans who only see what they want to see.

Are NFL officials perfect? Of course not. But they really are unbelievably good at what they do 99.9% of the time. NFL refs dont miss more calls than they used to.....NFL fans have just become a lot bigger bitches.
why? the runner lowered his head not the defender, the runner lead with crown, not defender. You letting hate for lions override rational thinking, even announcers and their ref expert agreed this was ticky tack at best.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe the game is just to fast

maybe we need two additional refs.

maybe winners are predetermined.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why? the runner lowered his head not the defender, the runner lead with crown, not defender. You letting hate for lions override rational thinking, even announcers and their ref expert agreed this was ticky tack at best.
Nope. Branch uses the crown as a weapon. And who hates the Lions? They’re historically epic dog shit. Nobody hates irrelevant teams.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont hate the Lions. Hell I probably will be rooting for them once my team is officially eliminated (which the way they are playing will be in about 6 weeks from now).

The defender is responsible for the hit. Fair or not that is the way it is. And there are way too many secondary players like Branch did there that are still spear tackling where they are leading with their heads. It is going to get called every single time. They are trying to legislate that exact technique he is using out of the game. And they will.

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you ne
Nope. Branch uses the crown as a weapon. And who hates the Lions? They’re historically epic dog shit. Nobody hates irrelevant teams.
ed glasses, tell me this is the crown of his helmet, and it was a viking fan i was talking to, you are philly, you hate everyone. go sit down and wait to be called on
1695659514389.png

1695659475766.png

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you ne

ed glasses, tell me this is the crown of his helmet, and it was a viking fan i was talking to, you are philly, you hate everyone. go sit down and wait to be called on
View attachment 341421

View attachment 341420
Slide the head left or right in picture 1 and he isn’t attacking with the crown. Are you special or something Corky Thatcher? Why would you help my argument by including a picture like that that proves what I said?!?!?!?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns won easily too but this can’t happen. Refs blew his whistle and he won’t get any punishment.

I feel like 99% of calls that people complain about have a grey area. As fans we can complain about things but you can kinda see how it could go both ways.

This ref needs to be suspended.

elguapo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slide the head left or right in picture 1 and he isn’t attacking with the crown. Are you special or something Corky Thatcher? Why would you help my argument by including a picture like that that proves what I said?!?!?!?
are you drunk? bijans crown hits branch in the facemask, you must be a dumb ass troll, you can be that dumb

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you drunk? bijans crown hits branch in the facemask, you must be a dumb ass troll, you can be that dumb
Bijan drops his head and stops his feet. A very poor and dangerous decision but he doesn’t lead with the crown of the helmet. Stick to soccer. You don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As BB says, you should be able to challenge anything.

But you should only get the 2 and a third if you win the first 2.

Just open it up so everything can be challenged.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Academy Award goes to Jimmy on this...

This league is soft AF

It absolutely was a penalty and it is, because just like the other play, the defender launches and leads with his helmet.

You can debate how hard of a hit it was on Jimmy but there is zero question Minkah makes contact with his helmet to Jimmy's helmet first. Yes Jimmy's natural reaction to try and turtle makes it not a very violent hit.....but in real speed you cant tell that is what was happening. That is a call that is going to and should get called every single time.

Again. It is a tackling technique that will get legislated out of the game of football. Just like the whole sack and land on the QB basically has been. A defender needs to attack with the shoulder not helmet. It's as simple as picking a side of the ball carrier to attack.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It absolutely was a penalty and it is, because just like the other play, the defender launches and leads with his helmet.

Again. It is a tackling technique that will get legislated out of the game of football. Just like the whole sack and land on the QB basically has been. A defender needs to attack with the shoulder not helmet. It's as simple as picking a side of the ball carrier to attack.
Bang bang in my opinion. Jimmy is rearing and ready to throw. Most QBs' average time to release is less than a half second. On the reverse angle Minkah's helmet contacts the shoulder pad first. He could have gone for the chest for a more textbook hit within the rules, but considering the potential for a throw I think he was right to stay high.

He spent the entire damn week with people calling him dirty for going low on Chubb... Now he goes high and people want to call him dirty again.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bang bang in my opinion. Jimmy is rearing and ready to throw. Most QBs' average time to release is less than a half second. On the reverse angle Minkah's helmet contacts the shoulder pad first. He could have gone for the chest for a more textbook hit within the rules, but considering the potential for a throw I think he was right to stay high.

He spent the entire damn week with people calling him dirty for going low on Chubb... Now he goes high and people want to call him dirty again.

But there is also no debating that his helmet hit Jimmy's helmet.

And the first thing Jimmy's helmet does after that contact is fly back away from the hit. You can see in super slow motion that the reason his head snaps like that is Jimmy starting to turtle. But in real time you cant see that.

It wasn't a dirty hit. But it was poor technique in the modern NFL.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But there is also no debating that his helmet hit Jimmy's helmet.

And the first thing Jimmy's helmet does after that contact is fly back away from the hit. You can see in super slow motion that the reason his head snaps like that is Jimmy starting to turtle. But in real time you cant see that.

It wasn't a dirty hit. But it was poor technique in the modern NFL.
I thought it mattered about initial contact being lower than the neck. Had to look up the rule... but by this sub-definition you're right. The part about "...even if the initial contact of the defender's helmet or facemask is lower than the passer's neck..."

Still don't like it lol
c. In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary roughness rules covering these subjects). A defensive player must not use his helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture—for example, (1) forcibly hitting the passer’s head or neck area with the helmet or facemask, even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet or facemask is lower than the passer’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the passer by encircling or grasping him; or (2) lowering the head and making forcible contact with any part of the helmet against any part of the passer’s body. This rule does not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or non-crown parts of the helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on a passer.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think roughing the passer calls should be reviewable. Too often they a huge swing moments.

No one knows what it is or isn't. So inconsistently called for sure!

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it mattered about initial contact being lower than the neck. Had to look up the rule... but by this sub-definition you're right. The part about "...even if the initial contact of the defender's helmet or facemask is lower than the passer's neck..."

Still don't like it lol

Dont get me wrong. It is the right call. Doesnt mean it is a good rule.

I would love to go back to the days when a defender can punish the QB too. But it isnt going to happen.