• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL refs still suck

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Glenn still has not figured out to rush a guy up the middle against running QBs. Hopefully they tear him a new asshole this week cause it is not that hard to figure out.

I was going to send a copy of football for dummies down to the sideline for him but thought it would be over his head.
He is a conundrum. I thought this off season that the Lions did a great job adding personnel to that D but felt like Glenn would fuck it up. Some of the shit he runs is just not sound.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT's have always had a slight early jump. I agree that it seems a bit more noticeable this year. I'm going to guess a large part of that is because of how blatant it was to start the season for KC's right tackle that took about 10 false starts for him to finally get flagged. I think that kind of put a spotlight on it for a lot of fans, and while it probably isn't any worse than any other year, I think that highlighted it in a way that most hadn't really paid attention to in the past.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a conundrum. I thought this off season that the Lions did a great job adding personnel to that D but felt like Glenn would fuck it up. Some of the shit he runs is just not sound.
Sometimes he gets it right but not yet with running QBs. We are always vulnerable until that problem is fixed.

Our D also did a terrible job executing. Way out of sync so there might not have been any difference if we had the right scheme.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes he gets it right but not yet with running QBs. We are always vulnerable until that problem is fixed.

Our D also did a terrible job executing. Way out of sync so there might not have been any difference if we had the right scheme.
And with 17 games…sometimes you’re just gonna have a clunker every so often.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The early jump stuff by tackles is allowed per some technicality in the rules. One of their legs can start moving back a bit right as the ball is snapped (or something like that, I forget the exact wording).

What they aren't calling is the tackles lining up a full body length behind the center. That is definitely not allowed.

1698098357925.png

1698098365419.png

My theory is that they're getting more and more loose with this call so that more and more teams end up lining up like this. That way every team is technically doing something illegal on these big play passing downs. If that's the case, the refs can call back any big play they want in this sort of situation. It makes the game easier to control and manipulate.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the people badmouthing the refs have any taken into consideration if you ignore all the bad/missed calls the refs are pretty darn good?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the people badmouthing the refs have any taken into consideration if you ignore all the bad/missed calls the refs are pretty darn good?
I think for the most part, they do pretty well but the really egregious bad calls tend to get magnified, especially the ones at or near the end of games that swing a game into someone's favor. Part of the problem too is some of the rules that leave the refs in a bad situation where whatever they do, it comes into question. One of those is the illegal contact penalty on DBs. A savvy WR can basically run into the DB just enough to where contact is virtually unavoidable and it looks like the DB is hampering the receivers ability to run his route. Can't really fault the receiver for being smart and using the rule to his advantage but the rule is very flawed. Personally, I would like that rule scrapped completely and only leave in the defensive holding that is blatant and obvious. Another one that has gotten way out of line is the roughing the passer penalty. The 15 yards is an absolute killer. They changed the punter one several years ago to allow for incidental minor contact so I can't see why they can't do the same for the passer. They use the excuse about protecting the star players but it has never really changed how much QBs get hurt and never will.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I... can't tell if this is serious.

If you replace all of my bad shots on the golf course with my best shots, I might be on tour.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what I really came here to post is this:

This article SHOULD also include the same analysis for missed calls that hurt Philly, but this is the type of thing the NFL should be doing for every single game, and just let the league and the refs own that they aren't perfect, use the analysis as a means for training to improve.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than an obvious facemask/DPI that the refs ignored on a key 4th down...

...the refs had a good game on SNF. The holding call that negated the Dolphins TD against the Eagles was a bit ticky-tack, but other than that the game was either called evenly or possibly slightly in the Dolphins favour.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than an obvious facemask/DPI that the refs ignored on a key 4th down...

...the refs had a good game on SNF. The holding call that negated the Dolphins TD against the Eagles was a bit ticky-tack, but other than that the game was either called evenly or possibly slightly in the Dolphins favour.
Not sure how a game that had 0 Philly penalties could have been "slightly in the Dolphins favour"

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how a game that had 0 Philly penalties could have been "slightly in the Dolphins favour"
There was a 'both sides offside call' on a 4th & 1 where only the Dolphins were offside. There were also multiple plays where the Dolphins lined up offside and weren't flagged for it. (The last Dolphins possession had 2 plays where WRs were offside - 1 with the WR slightly ahead of the ball). I think there were 3 other offsides.

Bottom line: the Eagles were disciplined and the Dolphins weren't.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest beef with officiating is the inconsistencies of calls from crew to crew and the league is like, "oh well, it happens" because they don't want to make changes to the system. The illegal contact on the Colts player when Cooper blatantly ran into him and pushed off at the same time cancelled out what would have been a strip sack that ended that game. Then they compound it by throwing a PI flag on a pass well above the guys head that short hops the wall of the bleachers. The league admits they fucked up that one but they don't seem to care.
Then the Bucs WRs are getting grabbed and mauled but because it's a game ending hail mary and Josh Allen is the leagues golden child, it's naw, that's not PI. Just guys fighting for position. I know on those hail mary's, there's all kinds of contact that goes uncalled but there has to be some balance.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I... can't tell if this is serious.

If you replace all of my bad shots on the golf course with my best shots, I might be on tour.

I was joking around.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn’t need it. The Dolphins can’t compete on the line of scrimmage.

I’ve seen a face mask that should have been called against the Eagles (very next play was the tipped ball INT TD; made no impact) and I saw an uncalled hold on Jason Kelce that would have erased a 3 yard Swift gain. That’s about it. The Eagles played a pretty clean game minus Hurts ball security issues (a mounting problem).

Hey while I have you…have you been able to remove Lamar Jackson’s foot from your rectum? How do you give up 350+ in the air to a glorified RB?!?!?

Easy. Give him 7-8 seconds to throw the ball while making sure that he doesn't beat you with his legs... and he's a much better passer than you're suggesting.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today the refs were just brutal against the Seahawks, some seriously tick tack calls, it was maddening… We found a way to sneak out the win but the calls were skeptical for sure and kept the game close… The rules just favor the offense too much in today’s NFL, so many 1st downs just handed over