• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Quarterback Scramble

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance reminds me a Kapernick
Maybe Colin haa better arm but both played at the small school with crazy physical skills

Denver actually traded the pick to SF to select Kapernick.

Lance intrigues me cause in hindsight Colin at #9 would be worth it. Led his team to the SB and was very good . I don’t expect Lance to be blackballed .

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the odds are still in Lock's favor to be the guy starting this upcoming season. And those things I reported on yes they are upset with him about it, but there are still some believers in that organization that think Lock can turn into something. The tools are there to be a top-10 QB. We have seen lately that the top guys to come out of the draft fit two areas...1) They have some great tools. Not all the same tools but something athletically that sets them apart and 2) High character traits in leadership/work ethic.

It is why for me Trey Lance is quickly moving up my board. No other top QB in this draft have I heard more about when it comes to work ethic and character than him. Throw in then the insane tools and it sets up well for him to be a strong player in the NFL if he goes to the right situation.
Carl, I’m a big fan of Lance, and I think he brings a dynamic energy with him. I would be very happy if we somehow landed him!

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard that Trey Lance will need time to develop, but has a really high ceiling, but a pretty low floor. I don't feel I am skilled at evaluating any position on the football field, especially from college to NFL, so I would like your guys' opinion.

I am not opposed to drafting a QB early, but if we draft a QB at 9 we need to trade Lock. 2 young QBs that are trying to develop at the same time, there are only so many reps.

If Vic has a playoff mandate (I have heard that, and support that) and Paton is going to support him, then I don't think we will see a QB at 9. A trade back and pick a guy like JC Horn pick seems like a reasonable out come for round 1. Build the war chest that Paton said he wanted and still get a CB that should be pretty good from what I have heard.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My big issue with this is the 2022 QB class looks very meh to me. Howell looks decent but his tools don't jump off the page like the top-4 guys of this upcoming draft. Rattler is being talked about in the Johnny Manziel when it comes to personality type. Those are the top-2 guys on most boards and neither of them would crack my top-4 of this draft. Now someone can come out of nowhere but then we are also talking about needing to be in the top-5 of the draft. Lock isn't a guy that I like all that much but he is good enough for this team to win enough and hover in that 6 to 9 type win season meaning not usually a top-10 pick.
I haven't looked too carefully at the 2022 class but the way I see the Broncos now, I think the 2021 draft shakes out quite well in terms of you guys being in a position to solidify your defense for years to come. I do also think there is a good chance that most QBs in the 2021, 2022 or FA class will give you a better chance to win than Lock.

The 2021 offseason will shape the identity of the Broncos. Will they draft a defense and become one of the top Ds while rolling the dice with Lock or a Bridgewater level FA? Will they go all-in on Watson and have the opportunity to be a better version of the Texans?

I'm kinda surprised you guys are even talking about Lance. He only has 17 starts most of which he had at the age of 19 against fairly weak competition. He could be one of the three best players in the draft but he'd almost certainly want to sit for at least 5 or 6 games and if Denver gets another slow start then you're probably losing your coach.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From PFF website:

9. HOUSTON TEXANS (TRADE WITH DEN): QB TREY LANCE, NORTH DAKOTA STATE

TRADE! Houston trades quarterback Deshaun Watson to Denver for the ninth overall pick, a 2021 second-rounder, 2022 first-rounder, 2022 second-rounder, 2023 first-rounder

The Texans' brass may keep insisting that they are not going to trade the star quarterback, but Watson looks as good as gone at this point. In fact, FanDuel now has the Broncos as the favorites to land Watson ahead of the 2021 NFL season.

If Denver were to acquire the star quarterback, it’s going to take a stupid amount of picks despite the quarterback having a no-trade clause getting in the way. And the Broncos reportedly are willing to do just that. After all, Watson was a top-three graded quarterback of the 2020 season and is on the path to Hall of Fame status, according to the research done by PFF’s Kevin Cole.

The Broncos acquiring Watson would have the same impact we saw this past season when Tom Brady signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They’d be Super Bowl contenders right away.

As for Houston, they’d be focusing on a full rebuild, and it all starts at the quarterback position. Lance is a high-risk but high-reward prospect to commence that rebuild with. Put simply, Lance’s physical tools are bananas. He’s got a rocket for an arm and has elite athleticism that adds a lot of value to the ground game. But at the same time, he is glaringly inaccurate.

Lance played in just one game this year, as COVID-19 caused the FCS to postpone its season. In that showcase game, we saw exactly the same traits from 2019: incredible mobility but glaring inaccuracy. He carried the ball 15 times (13 designed, two scrambles) and put up six explosive runs of 10-plus yards, forcing nine broken tackles along the way. However, just 28.6% of Lance's passes were deemed accurate in the outing.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting QBs is a crap shoot - that works out about 1 in 10 times - that is with top of the 1st round guys. No person alive can pick a sure fire QB out of the draft. Even if you could - they could be injured and out of the picture well before the pick pays out. There is nothing drearier to me than to listen to QB analysis for the draft - Ba Humbug!

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting QBs is a crap shoot - that works out about 1 in 10 times - that is with top of the 1st round guys. No person alive can pick a sure fire QB out of the draft. Even if you could - they could be injured and out of the picture well before the pick pays out. There is nothing drearier to me than to listen to QB analysis for the draft - Ba Humbug!
this righere is why you are aggressive in the pursuit of Watson and why Houston will probly keep him and let him sit out.

I have a hard time when to me it’s simple. Just look at draft history to realize most 1st round picks have very little impact on a team.

IMO You pay whatever it costs to get a franchise QB. The team rotates players every 2-3 years so I don’t see a build the team concept.

you need 3 cornerstones . Those are your long term players. QB , LT and Edge rusher

Every other player is a 2-4 year rental and drafting becomes the key. The art and science is hard to come by.

yes even CBs are hired . Especially in Vic defense he can draft his prototypical CB in any round

if the cornerstones are there the other pieces can come an go with good drafts and you will be in the playoff hunt more often than not.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this righere is why you are aggressive in the pursuit of Watson and why Houston will probly keep him and let him sit out.

I have a hard time when to me it’s simple. Just look at draft history to realize most 1st round picks have very little impact on a team.

IMO You pay whatever it costs to get a franchise QB. The team rotates players every 2-3 years so I don’t see a build the team concept.

you need 3 cornerstones . Those are your long term players. QB , LT and Edge rusher

Every other player is a 2-4 year rental and drafting becomes the key. The art and science is hard to come by.

yes even CBs are hired . Especially in Vic defense he can draft his prototypical CB in any round

if the cornerstones are there the other pieces can come an go with good drafts and you will be in the playoff hunt more often than not.

The only thing I disagree with you on - is that the Texans will have no choice, but to trade Watson. Of course, they will act like they will not trade him, but imagine actually going through the draft and having your franchise QB sit out the next season - that is what they are facing. The Texans will trade him - and Watson will be able to dictate which team he will go to. Watson has all the leverage here - because he will not go hungry by not playing.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I disagree with you on - is that the Texans will have no choice, but to trade Watson. Of course, they will act like they will not trade him, but imagine actually going through the draft and having your franchise QB sit out the next season - that is what they are facing. The Texans will trade him - and Watson will be able to dictate which team he will go to. Watson has all the leverage here - because he will not go hungry by not playing.
You could be right.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson and the Texans are playing a game of chicken. We will see if either side blinks.

I honestly think that Watson could sit out the whole year. The Texans don’t have a lot of incentive to trade him once the draft is over. The main compensation will be draft picks, so why would they trade him post draft to wait another year? If they wait they will know which team is picking in the up coming draft. They trade him post draft and they are decreasing the return as Watson will make the receiving team better.

Oh and if he sits out the whole year they can roll his salary into 2022 to increase their cap number.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson and the Texans are playing a game of chicken. We will see if either side blinks.

I honestly think that Watson could sit out the whole year. The Texans don’t have a lot of incentive to trade him once the draft is over. The main compensation will be draft picks, so why would they trade him post draft to wait another year? If they wait they will know which team is picking in the up coming draft. They trade him post draft and they are decreasing the return as Watson will make the receiving team better.

Oh and if he sits out the whole year they can roll his salary into 2022 to increase their cap number.
This is exactly why he will be traded prior to the Texans drafting. Trading Watson is not hard to explain to Texan fans - by asking for a trade - Watson is telling Texan fans to take a flying F**k. He will be traded - I don't see another choice - and since they have to trade him - he will be able to pick who he wants to go to, or he sits back on his no trade contract.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be righ
I cannot imagine someone turning their back on a multitude of millions because his feelings are hurt. Your feelings can only be so hurt.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot imagine someone turning their back on a multitude of millions because his feelings are hurt. Your feelings can only be so hurt.
Pump - it is much more than hurt feelings - it is he doesn't have any faith the Texans are going to get it together as an organization - they traded his top WR for goodness sake. If you want to win - you don't stay a Texan.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pump - it is much more than hurt feelings - it is he doesn't have any faith the Texans are going to get it together as an organization - they traded his top WR for goodness sake. If you want to win - you don't stay a Texan.
You don't have faith in the Texans because they traded Hopkins and others, but he will have faith not force him to sit out a year? I think the Texans are dysfunctional enough to force the issue.

The Texans don't have to trade Watson. They can make him sit out until he retires. There is nothing forcing them to do anything. Now I think one of the 2 sides will cave, and if Watson holds his ground long enough the Texans will end up trading him, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is no trade this year, as I think both sides thinks the other is bluffing and they are dug in.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have faith in the Texans because they traded Hopkins and others, but he will have faith not force him to sit out a year? I think the Texans are dysfunctional enough to force the issue.

The Texans don't have to trade Watson. They can make him sit out until he retires. There is nothing forcing them to do anything. Now I think one of the 2 sides will cave, and if Watson holds his ground long enough the Texans will end up trading him, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is no trade this year, as I think both sides thinks the other is bluffing and they are dug in.
It seems to me John Elway forced a trade from the Colts and he didn't have nearly the leverage. The difference here is fan pressure - think how you would feel as a Bronco's fan and your top QB was performing like this - fans will say - screw him. There's no downside to trading Watson - in the current state of affairs, but if they don't trade him and he sits - the Texans and their fans lose, but Watson still has plenty of money in the bank - and will be worth probably more next year.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me John Elway forced a trade from the Colts and he didn't have nearly the leverage. The difference here is fan pressure - think how you would feel as a Bronco's fan and your top QB was performing like this - fans will say - screw him. There's no downside to trading Watson - in the current state of affairs, but if they don't trade him and he sits - the Texans and their fans lose, but Watson still has plenty of money in the bank - and will be worth probably more next year.

The Colts did right by the player based on their desire. Another difference is Elway was not an established player, and as we have discussed draft QBs are a crapshoot.

If I had faith the Texans were wanting to do right by the player they would trade him, but I don’t think they are concerned about Watson’s desires, or not yet. If Watson sits and his value increases, wouldn’t that help the Texans get more in return? Watson’s contract will not change if he sits out this season, so he will still be scheduled to make the $15 million he is currently Schulte’s to make in 2021, as his contract will toll if he doesn’t play the minimum games to count as a season of service.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Colts did right by the player based on their desire. Another difference is Elway was not an established player, and as we have discussed draft QBs are a crapshoot.

If I had faith the Texans were wanting to do right by the player they would trade him, but I don’t think they are concerned about Watson’s desires, or not yet. If Watson sits and his value increases, wouldn’t that help the Texans get more in return? Watson’s contract will not change if he sits out this season, so he will still be scheduled to make the $15 million he is currently Schulte’s to make in 2021, as his contract will toll if he doesn’t play the minimum games to count as a season of service.
I'm just saying the Texans have to act like they are being hard about not trading him - that is the only way to maintain the value of the trade. You and I are seeing the same thing, but reading it differently. Watson has the leverage - Watson holds the cards - your theory is basically the Texans are too dumb to realize they should trade Watson. They may be that way for a day, a week or even for a full month, but they will not botch this - Watson will be traded - trust me.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree there is no real benefit for them to be open to trading Watson. The Texans are trying to resolve their differences but so far I have seen nothing to indicate Watson is going to change his mind anytime soon.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans have no 1st this year, and have no extra picks. They are in rebuild mode, and the NFL knows it.

The value of Watson diminishes after every QB trade, after every FA signing, and after the draft. They know it. We know it. The idiots at the DPO know it.

All they're doing right now is stoking the fire to keep it burning long enough to get a crazy deal.

Of course, given how they've handled trades and players the past few seasons, who the hell knows what's going on in those offices. They might just let him sit. lol...

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw an interesting article that brought up a possibility that would be a killer for the Texans in their tug of war to keep Watson. If the NFLPA negotiates an opt out again this year - and if there are not full stadiums that is a good possibility - Watson could choose to opt out and the Texans would have to pay him $150,000 for the year, yet they would still carry the burden of his contract.

I’m starting to think Mingo is a genius. :)