• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Quarterback Scramble

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports from the Senior Bowl Denver had to dumb down the playbook for Lock who is slower than most picking up a new offense.

I hope he's just "slow" and not really "slow" . PC approved.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in Houston, so all the "insider" stuff here is mind numbing. But he's all but said to people who would know that he's either getting traded to a team he approves of (no trade clause), or he's sitting out.

From the Texans stand point is there a down side if Watson sits out? With or without Watson, they are going to be a bad team. In 2022 they will have a 1st round pick, and it likely will be high.

From a salary cap perspective they can recoup his entire salary through fines for not reporting.

I do not know how Watson manages his money, but can he go with out a pay check? If he is not playing, I would think his sponsorship opportunities would be slim to none.

If a team decides to offer a franchise altering trade, then the Texans may opt to not trade him.

This feels like an ultimate game of financial chicken, and I am not sure there is any winners.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports from the Senior Bowl Denver had to dumb down the playbook for Lock who is slower than most picking up a new offense.

I hope he's just "slow" and not really "slow" . PC approved.

This doesn’t shock me considering the Lock’s history. His most productive season in college was when he had the same OC on back to back seasons. Watch his first 2 seasons he finishes strong, but starts slow.

Does this sound like any other players on the Broncos??? Garrett Bolles comes to my mind.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Dak if he was available for us? Does his play and improvement over what we have warrant what we’d have to pay him.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Dak if he was available for us? Does his play and improvement over what we have warrant what we’d have to pay him.
I’d pay Dak for sure

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dak is available I would be willing to go there, but as a free agent signing over a trade. I think it is more likely that he becomes available as a FA next year.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Lombardi said Denver had a trade in place for a QB last week. Out there were all the Wentz rumors but nothing else.

Paton is turning over every stone.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Lombardi said Denver had a trade in place for a QB last week. Out there were all the Wentz rumors but nothing else.

Paton is turning over every stone.

Yeah, apparently we were hot and heavy after Wentz, but didn't want to give up our 1st rounder.

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Texans stand point is there a down side if Watson sits out? With or without Watson, they are going to be a bad team. In 2022 they will have a 1st round pick, and it likely will be high.

From a salary cap perspective they can recoup his entire salary through fines for not reporting.

I do not know how Watson manages his money, but can he go with out a pay check? If he is not playing, I would think his sponsorship opportunities would be slim to none.

If a team decides to offer a franchise altering trade, then the Texans may opt to not trade him.

This feels like an ultimate game of financial chicken, and I am not sure there is any winners.

Watson has a ton of sponsors from local grocery stores to national brands. I doubt he's hurting for money, doesn't seem to be the flashy type of guy down here in Houston. They fine him all they want, but it'll all be water under the bridge when he signs or gets traded. Teams rarely collect on fines.
Ultimately Watson is in the driver's seat. He can hold out and then have them franchise tag him (that's gonna be expensive AF), or trade him. Frankly, the fact that they didn't try to trade Watt tells me this team doesn't have a clue what they're doing. Didn't even attempt to trade him, just outright cut him. Stupid.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 QB's who only played for one team, must be retired.

Terry Bradshaw
Roger Staubach
Troy Aikman
Otto Graham
Bart Starr
Eli Manning
John Brodie
Don Meredith
Tony Romo
Andrew Luck

Technically John Unitas never really played for the Steelers, he was cut or was it traded before given that chance.

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 QB's who only played for one team, must be retired.

Terry Bradshaw
Roger Staubach
Troy Aikman
Otto Graham
Bart Starr
Eli Manning
John Brodie
Don Meredith
Tony Romo
Andrew Luck

Technically John Unitas never really played for the Steelers, he was cut or was it traded before given that chance.

I love a good troll.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson has a ton of sponsors from local grocery stores to national brands. I doubt he's hurting for money, doesn't seem to be the flashy type of guy down here in Houston. They fine him all they want, but it'll all be water under the bridge when he signs or gets traded. Teams rarely collect on fines.
Ultimately Watson is in the driver's seat. He can hold out and then have them franchise tag him (that's gonna be expensive AF), or trade him. Frankly, the fact that they didn't try to trade Watt tells me this team doesn't have a clue what they're doing. Didn't even attempt to trade him, just outright cut him. Stupid.

Watson is signed through 2025, and there is a minimum number of games he has to play in order for it to count as a season. Lets say he sites out all of 2021, he is under contract through 2026. If he sits out all the 2021 I think the Texans get to roll all of his contract for 2021 over into the following year, so it actually helps the Texans from a cap perspective.

In case you want see Watson's contract the link below will provide the details:

Benjamin Albright did say the Texans tried to trade Watt, but there were no takers with the $17.5 salary for next year. I don't know if it is true or now, but it is what Ben had to say.

Last edited:

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson to Denver for 3 1st , any two defensive players, and Lock.

Make it happen George.

And I present the SF 49ers as a case study in not needing 1st round picks for 3 years to build a team. In 2017 they had 2 first round picks that added zero value and still managed to build a team and make the SB. Problem was they didn't have a QB who could hit an open WR for a TD from 35 yards out. Jimmy G did nothing during their playoff run.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson to Denver for 3 1st , any two defensive players, and Lock.

Make it happen George.

And I present the SF 49ers as a case study in not needing 1st round picks for 3 years to build a team. In 2017 they had 2 first round picks that added zero value and still managed to build a team and make the SB. Problem was they didn't have a QB who could hit an open WR for a TD from 35 yards out. Jimmy G did nothing during their playoff run.

So 3 firsts, Bradley Chubb, DreMonte Jones, and Lock is good by you?

Hard to win without a Defense, just ask the Texans.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone assume denver will not have draft pciks

Malik reed and Shaq Barrett had more sacks than Chubb. Where were they drafted?

We are not losing our 2nd and 3rd round picks
Where was Jones drafted?

answer this question about how SF was able to field a team blowing two first round picks??

why can anyone look at the history of 1st round picks at or around pick 20 and deduce the impact is minimal

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s a exercise

Take the last 15 drafts for Denver where they selected outside top 5 , I assume Watson makes this team worst case 8-8 but most likely 10-6 , and pick any two players you would rather have as a combo than Watson. The 3rd first round pick would be for a a QB in the first round .

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have ~$30 Million in cap space. Watson will cost about ~$10 million more then the Chubb, Jones, and Lock. Cutting Casey will free up ~$11. Probably need $6 Million for draft picks. That gives you ~$21 Million left. We can not pick up Von's option. and free up ~$17 Million to have $38 Million. Let's say that Simmons and Shelby cost ~$20 million next year to resign, you have ~$18 million left. You have not addressed the CB position yet or tendered players. I have heard that we are planning to tender Alexander Johnson, Philip Lindsay, and Tim Patrick to 2nd round tenders which is about $2 Million each, leaving $12 Million, meaning you are done with known commodities in free agency.

With about ~$12 million left you would have a starting Defense of:
DLine: Shelby Harris, Mike Purcell, and DeShawn Williams
LB: Malik Reed, Josey Jewell, Alexander Johnson, Derek Tuszka
CBs: Bryce Callahan, MIchael Ojemudia, Essang Bassey
Ss: Justin Simons, Kareem Jackson

In my opinion you have now put yourself into a position to have to out score teams. I would prefer not.

2 holes in this though process is:
  • You are assuming the other 16+ teams that might be interested are not willing to give up more.
  • That Houston decides to make him available.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have ~$30 Million in cap space. Watson will cost about ~$10 million more then the Chubb, Jones, and Lock. Cutting Casey will free up ~$11. Probably need $6 Million for draft picks. That gives you ~$21 Million left. We can not pick up Von's option. and free up ~$17 Million to have $38 Million. Let's say that Simmons and Shelby cost ~$20 million next year to resign, you have ~$18 million left. You have not addressed the CB position yet or tendered players. I have heard that we are planning to tender Alexander Johnson, Philip Lindsay, and Tim Patrick to 2nd round tenders which is about $2 Million each, leaving $12 Million, meaning you are done with known commodities in free agency.

With about ~$12 million left you would have a starting Defense of:
DLine: Shelby Harris, Mike Purcell, and DeShawn Williams
LB: Malik Reed, Josey Jewell, Alexander Johnson, Derek Tuszka
CBs: Bryce Callahan, MIchael Ojemudia, Essang Bassey
Ss: Justin Simons, Kareem Jackson

In my opinion you have now put yourself into a position to have to out score teams. I would prefer not.

2 holes in this though process is:
  • You are assuming the other 16+ teams that might be interested are not willing to give up more.
  • That Houston decides to make him available.
Outscore teams because Denver does not have draft picks?

What draft pick was Shelby? How about Simmons? How about OJM?