• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a 'can't miss prospect' tag that he's getting, nobody should be upset if Garrett is the pick. I don't think I've ever seen him play but I've got no issues with taking a supposed talent like that.

In other news.....and no surprises....the seemingly overspending has begun. $35M extension for Vance McDonald. Hopefully, he can show us something if and when SF gets an accurate QB who has some touch on his throws. Still needs to work on actually catching the ball as well. Overall, I don't mind the move.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JFC...forget about your question, as I've already stated how ridiculous it was......what 'name' did I call you, and what am I 'wrong' about?

Ricky - forget about it, sometimes these message boards make it seem worse than it is. We're all good.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's forgotten. We're good.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ready to fire chip Kelly. He is bad. Game calling is so bad in the 2nd half. Now in OT he just made a bone head call

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm ready to fire chip Kelly. He is bad. Game calling is so bad in the 2nd half. Now in OT he just made a bone head call

didn't watch the game nor read any articles, but geez, we just find ways to lose?!

why do we start well in some games, then can't do chit in the 2nd halves? I believe this is the 4th game we started ok, but could do much after halftime?!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't watch the game nor read any articles, but geez, we just find ways to lose?!

why do we start well in some games, then can't do chit in the 2nd halves? I believe this is the 4th game we started ok, but could do much after halftime?!
It's because we run the same plays as the first half and chip gets conservative. Even in his presser he admitted to screwing up.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Combination of factors. Part of it might have been play calling. The offense in general started playing poorly in the 2nd quarter. NY Jets defense started getting more aggressive with blitzing. Kap started struggling and he did not play well after the 1st quarter. In the 2nd half he missed some key throws that would have kept drives alive.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it looks like Garrett might go to Cleveland, though I don't know it matter really this team will be picking in the top 2 again next year and they can't fix this mess in one draft probably not even two.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So it looks like Garrett might go to Cleveland, though I don't know it matter really this team will be picking in the top 2 again next year and they can't fix this mess in one draft probably not even two.

Nope, can't fix it in one off-season because there are just too many spots to upgrade. But get the right QB in and that'll make a big difference. That will stop the bleeding and even start the upswing on offense. Won't be a big upswing, but i'll take anything 'up'. The offensive line isn't that bad, so the foundation is almost there.

Change the DC and that should stop the bleeding on defense. Don't feel the talent level is THIS bad individually, but you need someone else to get them coordinated. Again, not saying this will make our D one of the best, but it'll get us going in the positive direction.

IMO two good consecutive drafts can get us going, granted this assumes we get the right QB in next year. "Get us going" meaning we can get a wildcard in two years. Things can change fast in the NFL.

Don't think Kelly has enough adjustments in him? So while we can't fire him so soon, just don't see him leading a SB contending team? The running plays are too simple and lack 'counters'.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great rumor news today. All 3 might be done. York, baalke and Kelly all might get fired . Yessss

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, are you saying Mom fires son? If so, who then hires Jed's replacement, Denise?
Word is they will force him to step down from football operations. Still work with in by won't make any football moves

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is they will force him to step down from football operations. Still work with in by won't make any football moves

If it's a matter of John coming back, I think I'd rather stick with Jed. But if Denise is truly her brother's sister, then hopefully she'll be smart enough, and ruthless enough, to realize that to save her business she has to hire a heavyweight from outside the organization to come in and run things. Maybe it's someone older who just comes on board for the short-term until a successor could be groomed. Unfortunately, the names that pop into my head are probably TOO old (Parcells, Polian). I think I saw the name Shanahan somewhere but I'd be worried about that. IMHO, Shanahan's success in Denver was largely due to his coaching; when he took charge of the front office and personnel, he wasn't particularly good at it and it led to his eventual downfall.

On the other hand, just about ANYONE would have to be better than the current arrangement.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a matter of John coming back, I think I'd rather stick with Jed. But if Denise is truly her brother's sister, then hopefully she'll be smart enough, and ruthless enough, to realize that to save her business she has to hire a heavyweight from outside the organization to come in and run things. Maybe it's someone older who just comes on board for the short-term until a successor could be groomed. Unfortunately, the names that pop into my head are probably TOO old (Parcells, Polian). I think I saw the name Shanahan somewhere but I'd be worried about that. IMHO, Shanahan's success in Denver was largely due to his coaching; when he took charge of the front office and personnel, he wasn't particularly good at it and it led to his eventual downfall.

On the other hand, just about ANYONE would have to be better than the current arrangement.
Just throwing an idea out there why not reach out to Steve Young. THe guy is a very smart man. Went to BYU and got a law degree, 49ers Alum, super bowl champ, and knows his football. Im actually shocked they havent reached out to him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alot of mock drafts have us taking Garrett with the #2 pick. This would be my pick but most stated that this would be Baalke pick and it might change if a New GM is in place. Most have browns taking QB from UNC or Allen from Bama.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just throwing an idea out there why not reach out to Steve Young. THe guy is a very smart man. Went to BYU and got a law degree, 49ers Alum, super bowl champ, and knows his football. Im actually shocked they havent reached out to him.

I sort of recall Steve expressing interest in the past about taking on front office responsibilities with the Niners, or maybe even being part of a consortium that would purchase the team. Of course, the York's claim they'll never sell. But Steve as a GM...? Would at least be worth exploring, I would think. I mean, bringing back an all-time team great, a former Super Bowl champion, a hall of famer...if you're the York's what's not to like? It would certainly be a PR coup.

But realistically...yeah, you're right. He's super smart, articulate, etc., BUT none of that necessarily means that he would know how to run a personnel department. Lots of smart people, former coaches, etc. end up sucking at trying to evaluate personnel, running a draft, shaping a roster. Bill Walsh hand-picked Terry Donahue and he was bright, great college coach, and all that but he was a DISASTER.

So yeah, Steve might be a good choice, someone to at least interview. But he'd have to be as carefully interviewed as anyone, and probe to see how he would structure his operations, how he approaches the draft, how much input does he give his coach in shaping his staff* and roster, and so forth.

*This one is one that just sort of annoys me about Baalke. I read somewhere that Chip wanted someone for his DC, and Baalke vetoed the choice. WTF??? Maybe this is common, but when I read that I thought, jeez, a coach should AT LEAST be given free reign to pick his own staff. But instead, Baalke wouldn't even allow that.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sort of recall Steve expressing interest in the past about taking on front office responsibilities with the Niners, or maybe even being part of a consortium that would purchase the team. Of course, the York's claim they'll never sell. But Steve as a GM...? Would at least be worth exploring, I would think. I mean, bringing back an all-time team great, a former Super Bowl champion, a hall of famer...if you're the York's what's not to like? It would certainly be a PR coup.

But realistically...yeah, you're right. He's super smart, articulate, etc., BUT none of that necessarily means that he would know how to run a personnel department. Lots of smart people, former coaches, etc. end up sucking at trying to evaluate personnel, running a draft, shaping a roster. Bill Walsh hand-picked Terry Donahue and he was bright, great college coach, and all that but he was a DISASTER.

So yeah, Steve might be a good choice, someone to at least interview. But he'd have to be as carefully interviewed as anyone, and probe to see how he would structure his operations, how he approaches the draft, how much input does he give his coach in shaping his staff* and roster, and so forth.

*This one is one that just sort of annoys me about Baalke. I read somewhere that Chip wanted someone for his DC, and Baalke vetoed the choice. WTF??? Maybe this is common, but when I read that I thought, jeez, a coach should AT LEAST be given free reign to pick his own staff. But instead, Baalke wouldn't even allow that.
It would kind of be like what Denver did with Elway and we know that worked out well for them. Even if we bring him in as an adviser. I think a combo of Gamble and Young would be good. I think Fans would appreciate Young and would back the move.