• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the Impact of the 49ers 2018 Rookie Class

The 2018 class is looking good so far, but at the same time last year so did the 2017 class. Despite Soloman Thomas, we still thought we had the makings of a good class. So while we're all glad now, we shouldn't extrapolate either. :-)

This class has a different feel. No Fosters with the he played well but will be be able to stay on the field.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers had hits but also misses in recent drafts

It is common sense to lean way over to the Best Player Avaialable side. Granted, you can't "blindly" go BPA, but lean way over. The intent of any draft is to add the maximum amount of talent you can.

It is also common sense you don't draft a position in Round 1, to convert him to another position. You might consider this later in the draft, but certanly not in Round 1. For myself, i wouldn't even do this in Rounds 2 and 3. Granted, it could get a LITTLE gray, when you're looking at versatility? A LITTLE versatility is ok, but i think this where we went wrong the Thomas, thinking he can play two spots equally.

I doubt we draft Josh Allen, but what if we end up with QW? We would get BPA but then have to move him to another position? I think BPA trumps 'moving him to another position'. Yes, he wouldn't fill a Need spot, but that is only immediately. Things change fast in the NFL.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The below came from an article about 49er scouts but the part in bold made me think just MAYBE, Shannahan shouldn't get TOO involved with drafting? Obviously, he needs to input but MAYBE he's influence is keeping us from maximum value? Definitely input prior to the draft but Lynch (and staff) should make the decisions on draft day.

Beathard is the other example along with Williams, and we'll see this year about Hurd which seems like Shannahan written all over him.

The lengthy story about the 49ers from Tyler Dunne of BleacherReport.com suggests that the scouting staff feels “marginalized” by the decisions being made, with Shanahan’s influence on personnel seeming to ruffle some feathers.

One former staffer told Dunne that “to see your work not valued as highly is demoralizing” and added, “Voices are being heard, but they’re not the right voices.”

As an example, the 49ers took Solomon Thomas with the third overall pick in the 2017 draft, and that hasn’t worked out particularly well. Among the next 10 players off the board were two franchise quarterbacks, Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson, and two Pro Bowl defensive backs, Jamal Adams and Marshon Lattimore. According to the report, multiple 49ers scouts who watched Thomas in person came away with it thinking he should not have been a Top 5 pick.

The 49ers’ scouts also disliked running back Joe Williams so much that he wasn’t even on the 49ers’ draft board. But Shanahan insisted on drafting him in the fourth round. He never played a game and is now out of the league.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Rams have a top-heavy roster, which is the natural fallout from trading away high picks and paying huge money to Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Matthew Stafford and the ghost of Jared Goff. That approach can work, as evidenced by the Rams ranking in the top four in total wins since 2017. They may be more vulnerable to injuries than most teams, but the starting 22 looks ready to return to the playoffs.

OOOOOOkay.

Every team suffers injuries, just depends on how serious and to whom?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Cardinals could use a draft hit in second-round slot receiver Rondale Moore. He could all but replace 2019 second-rounder Andy Isabella and provide some stability at a wide receiver position where Christian Kirk is entering a contract year and signee A.J. Green feels destined to be one-and-done.

Their offense will be improved right off with Moore.