• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Pats have a lot of picks so even if they don't get a 2nd round pick they should end up with enough to either move up or back into the 2nd round should they choose to.

NE has 2 twos (1 being the Jimmy G trade) and a third....then nothing till the 6th round. As Outlaw said, I think we'd have to throw in a mid/lower pick to possibly get back our 2nd. SF also has 2 threes to bargain with from the start.

A lot of good talent tonight....I hope we can capitalize.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well a lot of picks in the upper rounds

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Rams didn't have a 1st nor 2nd round pick. Are they still missing picks from the Goff trade? Based on this, I really hope we gained some ground.

Arizona now has a rookie QB, so we have to take advantage THIS season. Seattle doesn't have their top D anymore, nor an O-line. Again, we have to take advantage THIS season.

Our offense should be good enough to win, it'll be the consistency in our defense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Overview: Roquan Smith would have been a preferred selection at No. 8 overall, but the Bears weren’t going to let him slip, and McGlinchey filled a need when the Niners dealt RT Trent Brown to New England. Coach Kyle Shanahan clearly fell in love with Pettis; the 49ers traded up from 59 to 44 to land him. Pettis profiles as a slot-flanker receiver and was one of the top return men in this draft. Warner has a chance to fill the K.J. Wright role in DC Robert Saleh’s Seahawks-style defense, and Moore is a superb athlete with true centerfield safety skills. Street and Harris came at injury discounts. Reed is a slot corner only with kickoff-return value. Among draft-eligible defensive tackles, only Taven Bryan logged better SPARQ results than Taylor. As the 49ers acquired Jimmy Garoppolo for the 43rd overall pick, he must be included in this haul and provides a significant boost to San Francisco’s draft grade.

Wow, interesting for a 7th round pick, Julian Taylor. Not that we expect Taylor to 'start' or even make it, but no wonder we drafted him.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't as bad a class as people are trying to make it out to be. I would say the worst thing was not improving at the guard positions. None of the guys currently slated as starters have much upside at least some of the pass rusher do.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It isn't as bad a class as people are trying to make it out to be. I would say the worst thing was not improving at the guard positions. None of the guys currently slated as starters have much upside at least some of the pass rusher do.

Yeah, while i did express some comments, it isn't bad overall. As long as these players pan out to their draft status, we're fine. We seemed to have improved overall including depth. 'Improved' means adding more players that fit the 49er schemes.

The offensive line must play well AND stay healthy. There's no quality depth at LT and Center.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, while i did express some comments, it isn't bad overall. As long as these players pan out to their draft status, we're fine. We seemed to have improved overall including depth. 'Improved' means adding more players that fit the 49er schemes.

The offensive line must play well AND stay healthy. There's no quality depth at LT and Center.

I'm guessing they will bring in at least one udfa at tackle and guard. I will say McGlinchey was durable at Notre Dame.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/commentary/1934-news-49ers-first-round-mcglinchey-playing-elite-level/

So encouraging to read. If he keeps at this 'trajectory', obviously a huge plus.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oops, here's part of it:

We are now six games into 2018 and it appears that the 49ers have hit a grand slam on McGlinchey. McGlinchey's name isn't one that's been mentioned a lot on game day and for good reason. He is doing his job and he's doing it very well.

When it comes to offensive lineman, no news is good news. When linemen's names start to come up it's generally because of what they have been doing wrong. They give up sacks, miss key blocks in the run game, excess penalties, etc. Rarely are they talked about when they are doing what they are supposed to.

McGlinchey has already established himself as a top tackle in the NFL. Pro Football Focus has graded McGlinchey as the 10th best tackle in overall grades and as the best run blocking tackle in football as of Week 5.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, here's part of it:

We are now six games into 2018 and it appears that the 49ers have hit a grand slam on McGlinchey. McGlinchey's name isn't one that's been mentioned a lot on game day and for good reason. He is doing his job and he's doing it very well.

When it comes to offensive lineman, no news is good news. When linemen's names start to come up it's generally because of what they have been doing wrong. They give up sacks, miss key blocks in the run game, excess penalties, etc. Rarely are they talked about when they are doing what they are supposed to.

McGlinchey has already established himself as a top tackle in the NFL. Pro Football Focus has graded McGlinchey as the 10th best tackle in overall grades and as the best run blocking tackle in football as of Week 5.

He was always a strong run blocker at Notre Dame, he and Nelson use to open up Mack Truck sized holes for Adams to run through. I was never worried about the guy to be honest I knew he would be a very good player I thought it was a little high but the guy is a football player.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was always a strong run blocker at Notre Dame, he and Nelson use to open up Mack Truck sized holes for Adams to run through. I was never worried about the guy to be honest I knew he would be a very good player I thought it was a little high but the guy is a football player.

He had issues as a pass blocker especially against good edge rushers in college. So far he is been doing okay as a pass blocker in the NFL. Would make a mistake every once in awhile but he seems to be getting better and overall is impressive doing this as a rookie. I don't think the pick is a stretch. Good tackles are hard to find these days. The Raiders took Kolton Miller who is struggling as a rookie.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had issues as a pass blocker especially against good edge rushers in college. So far he is been doing okay as a pass blocker in the NFL. Would make a mistake every once in awhile but he seems to be getting better and overall is impressive doing this as a rookie. I don't think the pick is a stretch. Good tackles are hard to find these days. The Raiders took Kolton Miller who is struggling as a rookie.

The biggest issue I had with him in college was penalties he'd usually be trying to get a jump on the edge rusher like you mentioned but he improved in that area each year. Overall you aren't going to win against these edge rushers ever time.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest issue I had with him in college was penalties he'd usually be trying to get a jump on the edge rusher like you mentioned but he improved in that area each year. Overall you aren't going to win against these edge rushers ever time.

Nelson was the generational talent coming out of college at the guard position. Through six games Nelson has a PFF rating of 68 while McGlinchey is at 80. So there is that

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nelson was the generational talent coming out of college at the guard position. Through six games Nelson has a PFF rating of 68 while McGlinchey is at 80. So there is that

They were both highly rated coming out of high school.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm guessing they will bring in at least one udfa at tackle and guard. I will say McGlinchey was durable at Notre Dame.

To me, UDFA is too dangerous?

i would think our higher picks go D, but then use 4th or 5th on an OC/G if value there? I'd even spend a 3rd on a better prospect for OT, again if value is there? Guess i'm saying once we go to the O side, fine with linemen before skill guys. The offensive line right NOW is fine, but you have to prepare ahead.

Give JG time and our offense can function, and our run game can be effective.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas is not really a LEO he should be playing the other DE position or a DT. I expected Foster to struggle with everything that happened. I'm also not surprised that Thomas has struggled after losing his sister. The one guy that to me has under performed with no real reason for said struggles is Witherspoon.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas is not really a LEO he should be playing the other DE position or a DT. I expected Foster to struggle with everything that happened. I'm also not surprised that Thomas has struggled after losing his sister. The one guy that to me has under performed with no real reason for said struggles is Witherspoon.

Thomas may never realize his 3rd pick selection, but he is playing out of position. I was surprised to see he is playing something like 70% to 80% of his snaps at LEO. He just doesn't have it as an edge rusher. He would be much better playing at Armstead's position. They should probably move on from one of them at year end. Witherspoon has struggled as has pretty much everyone in the secondary other than Sherman.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thomas may never realize his 3rd pick selection, but he is playing out of position. I was surprised to see he is playing something like 70% to 80% of his snaps at LEO. He just doesn't have it as an edge rusher. He would be much better playing at Armstead's position. They should probably move on from one of them at year end. Witherspoon has struggled as has pretty much everyone in the secondary other than Sherman.

They'll have to with the intent of drafting a LEO. Armstead will likely be the one gone, because you can't admit your mistake (Thomas) this early.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll have to with the intent of drafting a LEO. Armstead will likely be the one gone, because you can't admit your mistake (Thomas) this early.
Yes. Problem is thomas and armstead are best suited at the same position. Armstead supposedly will cost $9 million next season.