• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Cutdown day!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't a player have to accounted for in the 53 prior to moving to the IR?

That is why they are placing him on IR tomorrow. If he goes on IR today he is out for the season. If he goes on IR the day after cutdown day then he is eligible to return in 3 weeks.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing official until tomorrow. These guys still have to clear waivers and all that but guys who are largely expected to be back on the PS assuming they clear waivers which is a big "if" on some of them.

S Trey Marshall
OG Drew Himmelman
TE Shaun Beyer
LB Barrington Wade
WR Tyrie Cleveland
WR Seth Williams
CB Mac McClain
OLB Derrek Tuszka
QB Brett Rypien

Still have 13 to cut- Would assume Crockett will be cut and signed back to the PS., probably Andre Mintze as well. Stevie Scott seems possible but would mean two similar RB's on the PS with Scott and Crockett.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Others I would expect to be released and probably back to the PS if possible. Most of these guys should clear waivers fine.

Damarea Crockett
Quinn Bailey
Marquiss Spencer
Andre Mintze
Jonathan Harris

After that it gets a little tricky
Nate Haiston, Kary Vincent, PJ Locke, Jamar Johnson will be interesting. I'd rather keep Locke and Johnson and keep 5 S's and 5 CB's oppose to 4 S's and 6 CB's. I think the better development prospect is say a Johnson then Vincent or Hairston who doesn't do much for me. Locke probably earned Trey Marshall's roster spot and Johnson has so much upside that it would be hard to stash him on the PS.

Cameron Fleming could be cut, IMO... But with Schlotman cut it probably means Fleming stays otherwise we only have 3 OT's with Himmelman on the PS.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Others I would expect to be released and probably back to the PS if possible. Most of these guys should clear waivers fine.

Damarea Crockett
Quinn Bailey
Marquiss Spencer
Andre Mintze
Jonathan Harris

After that it gets a little tricky
Nate Haiston, Kary Vincent, PJ Locke, Jamar Johnson will be interesting. I'd rather keep Locke and Johnson and keep 5 S's and 5 CB's oppose to 4 S's and 6 CB's. I think the better development prospect is say a Johnson then Vincent or Hairston who doesn't do much for me. Locke probably earned Trey Marshall's roster spot and Johnson has so much upside that it would be hard to stash him on the PS.

Cameron Fleming could be cut, IMO... But with Schlotman cut it probably means Fleming stays otherwise we only have 3 OT's with Himmelman on the PS.
I suspect the Broncos might want to look at the waiver wire for OT before cutting Fleming. Also - Vincent and Hairston are being held in case Paton gets an offer he can't refuse at CB. I think Johnson makes the team if Marshall is already canned.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect the Broncos might want to look at the waiver wire for OT before cutting Fleming. Also - Vincent and Hairston are being held in case Paton gets an offer he can't refuse at CB. I think Johnson makes the team if Marshall is already canned.

Agree with most of this. Could easily see an OT being claimed and Fleming getting the boot. Hoping their are better options then him out there after cuts.

I don't think we will trade any CB's to be honest.

I think Johnson makes the team... I think he gets the 1 year to develop free tag as long as he wasn't a major mess in camp which he wasn't. I think we keep 5 S's. Some Bronco writers thought he would be left off. I do not. I think Johnson was making the roster as the 5th S and Locke/Marshall were really competing for a depth spot here. Sterns has looked good and Johnson we knew when he slipped to Round 5 it was because while he has great tools he needs more time to develop. So we stay patient with him and let him grow this year, IMO. We have the room and would much rather see us keep him as a 5th S then Hairston or Vincent as a 6th CB. The one downfall is with OJ injury we technically only have 4 CB's if you don't count Hairston or Vincent but with Boone going to IR we may have enough room for 6 CB's (5 with OJ injured but if we don't place him on IR) and 5 S's to start the season. Could also place OJ on IR to save a roster spot and keep Hairston or Vincent (or even sign another CB) There will be better options then Hairston but he knows our D so if its a short term deal which it appears he may get to stick and Vincent is more of a developmental guy.. It comes down to if we think he can make it back to PS which I think he would but it is a risk if we like him well enough. He hasn't done enough to make the team but again another developmental guy. I really expect him to be on the PS.

Bassey and Dawson as expected will start on the PUP.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget that Simmons can help provide some CB depth if needed.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we want to count on Simmons at CB, taking our best S and depending on him at CB isn't ideal. But yes, if we needed him in a pinch sure, but if we have to count on him at CB then we are greatly taking a hit to our S position and what Simmons does best.

Kareem Jackson played the first 10 years of his career at CB but we don't want to count on that either. In a pinch, sure. But don't go cutting more CB's just to think Simmons or Jackson can be your 4th CB or whatever then take a huge hit at S... Not what I would expect.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys expected to pursue Cam Newton.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we want to count on Simmons at CB, taking our best S and depending on him at CB isn't ideal. But yes, if we needed him in a pinch sure, but if we have to count on him at CB then we are greatly taking a hit to our S position and what Simmons does best.

Kareem Jackson played the first 10 years of his career at CB but we don't want to count on that either. In a pinch, sure. But don't go cutting more CB's just to think Simmons or Jackson can be your 4th CB or whatever then take a huge hit at S... Not what I would expect.
Agree, but with the flexibility it gives you some options to keep your best 53, and not keeping someone for depth purposes while Michael Ojemudia finishes getting healthy.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really can't play the what if game. Based on what I have heard the Broncos didn't have a franchise QB grade on Jones or Fields. I would prefer to wait for a guy that we think will be that franchise QB then to take one to take one.
True on "what if" but what will materialize sooner than expected is did Paton evaluate the available QBs are 9 correctly? Were fixin to find out. Mac Jones starts for NE and our #1 pick is not a starter at the moment. I believe New ownership will also be interested in seeing how the evaluations turns out.

If I'm passing on QB at 9 then my plan would be to play Lock unless TB blew him away during preseason. That was not the case. Now I'm not privy to how close Rodgers came to being a Broncos. Seems like decisions may have been made with that end result in mind.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True on "what if" but what will materialize sooner than expected is did Paton evaluate the available QBs are 9 correctly? Were fixin to find out. Mac Jones starts for NE and our #1 pick is not a starter at the moment. I believe New ownership will also be interested in seeing how the evaluations turns out.

If I'm passing on QB at 9 then my plan would be to play Lock unless TB blew him away during preseason. That was not the case. Now I'm not privy to how close Rodgers came to being a Broncos. Seems like decisions may have been made with that end result in mind.
Speculation is always fun.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you. To me we should have started Lock and Anderson and used the vets as the safety net, but we are going with the vets and using the young guys as the safety net. Based on comments made Lock may get a chance again next year. The whole "he can be a quality NFL starter" could be just lip service, but opens the door to repeat this offseason next year.

One thing I will say is I look that things with the long term lens while Fangio and Shurmur are trying to be here next year, so our perspectives are different.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, but with the flexibility it gives you some options to keep your best 53, and not keeping someone for depth purposes while Michael Ojemudia finishes getting healthy.

Yeah- I get what you are saying.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think part of being a fan is always talking about the "what ifs", it is only natural. As a person in the NFL making decisions it will HAUNT you if you think that way. But I am sure they think that way too. :)

Lots of cuts coming in now. Not going to post them all on here because not sure which ones people care about. You can check those on your own, but if there are any big ones or former Broncos I will try to remember to add them on here.

So far one surprise to me was the Bears cutting WR Riley Ridley. I thought he was well on his way to getting more PT for the Bears this year with them trading away Anthony Miller and cutting Javon Wims.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos released our least exciting pick of the draft Marquiss Spencer.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. To me we should have started Lock and Anderson and used the vets as the safety net, but we are going with the vets and using the young guys as the safety net. Based on comments made Lock may get a chance again next year. The whole "he can be a quality NFL starter" could be just lip service, but opens the door to repeat this offseason next year.

One thing I will say is I look that things with the long term lens while Fangio and Shurmur are trying to be here next year, so our perspectives are different.

I don't look at young guys as "safety nets", I think we want to win now because this coaching staff has no choice. Their job is on the line. While I was hoping Lock would win the starting job I also get going with the guy who the coaching staff thinks can help us win the most right now. The young guys are developing if we feel they are ready to contribute they will. We are 0-0 right now so we have go go with what we feel gives us the best chance to win now.... We= Coaching Staff. You and I don't get to make that decision. ;)

I think there is a good chance Lock gets another chance this year. If he doesn't get another chance this year I think he will be playing elsewhere next year.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate Hairstom cut. We can sign him to the Os with the new rules.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early indication is that Andre Mintze made roster.