• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL cracking down on iilegal holding and defensive holding.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yay another fucked up rule so teams can score 100 points per game

I agree, also watching all the flags fly and slowing down the game sucks.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to not think that this is pointed at the Seahawks defense, after hearing all the moaning and groaning by opposing fans about the Hawks DBs (not that I felt the Hawks held/got away with holding any more than any other team). Depending on how they set up the enforcement of this rule, this could really hurt the back end pass defense of teams like Seattle and San Francisco.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs like Rodgers, Brady, and Manning are all over the commercials during the season. The NFL has to make sure their golden calfs can run up the score.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs like Rodgers, Brady, and Manning are all over the commercials during the season. The NFL has to make sure their golden calfs can run up the score.

thats exactly what it is the league makes money from all these flashy players then want RG3 coming back and tearing up the league, they want Johnny Manziel to succeed and bring crazy revenue, they want bortles to turn the jags around, defensive games that end up 9-3 is boring and wont bring ratings

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats exactly what it is the league makes money from all these flashy players then want RG3 coming back and tearing up the league, they want Johnny Manziel to succeed and bring crazy revenue, they want bortles to turn the jags around, defensive games that end up 9-3 is boring and wont bring ratings

Shootouts are just as boring IMO.

I love a good D battle but that's just me.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL does not give a flying fuck about us NFL fans. They already have us. So, they make these sissy rules to create the opportunity to score more points in a game to draw in new/bandwagon fans.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be interested to see how much it gets enforced. I know what they're going for with this, but they have to be careful not to over-enforce it. Fans may want to see more offense, but if they're anything like me, they want to see fewer flags thrown unless a penalty is blatant and absolutely has to be called. If the old football adage, that there's holding on every play, is true and the officials started calling it as if there was, games would take all day. Flag fests aren't entertaining.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GTFO NFL... Why are you so hell bent on having offense dominate the league...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every few years they put out precursors of something along these lines when they see the DEF catching up or somehow gaining an advantage.

Very doubtful they will ever call it to the letter of the rule (imo that goes for OFC holding as well) because they need to appease TV with the length of these games...if every holding call (OFC or DEF) was called, the games would last 4 hours easy.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every few years they put out precursors of something along these lines when they see the DEF catching up or somehow gaining an advantage.

Very doubtful they will ever call it to the letter of the rule (imo that goes for OFC holding as well) because they need to appease TV with the length of these games...if every holding call (OFC or DEF) was called, the games would last 4 hours easy.

True... But man it's just asking the impossible from a DB ... Some of these receivers are the fasted men on the planet and there running right at you so to expect no contact is almost ridiculous... I get it if you blatantly grab the jersey or totally impede the route by hooking big time but otherwise just let um play and expect some contact... Remember the no contact rule the league implemented years back that massively increased offensive production ? It was bad for the game and slowly they backed off on it so hopefully this is another case of that... I mean common this is not a concussion issue or anything of the sort so just leave it alone NFL for god sake... Defense is the coolest thing about the game of football not touchdown after fricking touchdown ... Why these sports think offense sell's annoy's the hell outta me...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GTFO NFL... Why are you so hell bent on having offense dominate the league...

$$$$$. Cause Payton Manning throwing 6 TDs against a high school quality D is better for ratings and thus commercial advertising revenue, than games where the score ends up like 13-10 cause the teams play good defense.

The NFL has already been at war with the safety position for years now to help boost offensive yds and scoring. This is just the next level where they do the same thing to the entire defensive backfield.

They are simply doing the samething Stern did with his pro-wrestling refs and the Jordan rule. It's all about the $$$$$$$.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are screwed! No way you don't lead the league in penalties.....Wait a second....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True... But man it's just asking the impossible from a DB ... Some of these receivers are the fasted men on the planet and there running right at you so to expect no contact is almost ridiculous... I get it if you blatantly grab the jersey or totally impede the route by hooking big time but otherwise just let um play and expect some contact... Remember the no contact rule the league implemented years back that massively increased offensive production ? It was bad for the game and slowly they backed off on it so hopefully this is another case of that... I mean common this is not a concussion issue or anything of the sort so just leave it alone NFL for god sake... Defense is the coolest thing about the game of football not touchdown after fricking touchdown ... Why these sports think offense sell's annoy's the hell outta me...

Exactly...past 5 yds or whatever, as a DB, if you don't alter the route of the WR with contact the refs aren't going to call it, especially if the ball is not going to that route. Sometimes the WR initiates the contact themselves...I grew up in the era of head hunting and the middle of the field "belonged" to the DEF...I agree with and have changed my thinking on blows above the shoulders, but now you can't go too low either unless the player sees you coming and has time to order coffee before contact...it's made superstars out of players like Jimmy Graham who would've have survived the NFL 15-20 yrs ago.

DEF...well I can handle a 9-6 game as well as a 38-35 game, but I understand...OFC sells tickets...but an extremely good DEF can sell tickets too (especially @ home).

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly...past 5 yds or whatever, as a DB, if you don't alter the route of the WR with contact the refs aren't going to call it, especially if the ball is not going to that route. Sometimes the WR initiates the contact themselves...I grew up in the era of head hunting and the middle of the field "belonged" to the DEF...I agree with and have changed my thinking on blows above the shoulders, but now you can't go too low either unless the player sees you coming and has time to order coffee before contact...it's made superstars out of players like Jimmy Graham who would've have survived the NFL 15-20 yrs ago.

DEF...well I can handle a 9-6 game as well as a 38-35 game, but I understand...OFC sells tickets...but an extremely good DEF can sell tickets too (especially @ home).

:agree:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was just saying how they've been making it easier and easier to play defense lately. This should be a nice change.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahvya.jpg

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guy's think about the NFL implementing College rules on PI call's ?? I"m all for it... I hate seeing bad PI call's result in a 50 yard gain... The argument is players will just grab and maul when there beat but that doesn't seem to be a problem in college football...