• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gilmore Holding Out?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots' Stephon Gilmore absent from mandatory minicamp amid injury rehab and contract rift, per report

As mandatory minicamp begins for the New England Patriots, it does so absent a cornerstone player in defensive back Stephon Gilmore. The two-time All-Pro is not in attendance on Monday, per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, and he's not expected to report to three-day minicamp at all -- opening him up to $93,000 in team fines. It's easy to point at his rehabilitation from a partially torn quad as one reason, but it's not illogical to also consider the ongoing contract rift between Gilmore and the club.

The 30-year-old wants a new contract but hasn't been rewarded one yet, and trade speculation continues to swirl. In 2020, the Patriots gave Gilmore a pay boost of $5 million, but that seems more of a Band-Aid than surgical repair of a very noticeable fracture.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots' Stephon Gilmore absent from mandatory minicamp amid injury rehab and contract rift, per report

As mandatory minicamp begins for the New England Patriots, it does so absent a cornerstone player in defensive back Stephon Gilmore. The two-time All-Pro is not in attendance on Monday, per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, and he's not expected to report to three-day minicamp at all -- opening him up to $93,000 in team fines. It's easy to point at his rehabilitation from a partially torn quad as one reason, but it's not illogical to also consider the ongoing contract rift between Gilmore and the club.

The 30-year-old wants a new contract but hasn't been rewarded one yet, and trade speculation continues to swirl. In 2020, the Patriots gave Gilmore a pay boost of $5 million, but that seems more of a Band-Aid than surgical repair of a very noticeable fracture.
Can he hold a clipboard and pass out Gatorade?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contract dispute? I thought he was under contract?

The next collective bargaining agreement should add terms that make it difficult to hold out. I'm not against free trade, but the collective bargaining agreement is supposed to benefit all and players being allowed to violate it undermines the vast amount of players it is designed to protect.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contract dispute? I thought he was under contract?

The next collective bargaining agreement should add terms that make it difficult to hold out. I'm not against free trade, but the collective bargaining agreement is supposed to benefit all and players being allowed to violate it undermines the vast amount of players it is designed to protect.

Thought it will end after this season... But who knows

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read in several articles is Gilmore is vastly underpaid for his skill level at his position. Apparently BB attempted to address it last year by giving him a bump in salary they're back to the drawing board for this season.

If that is in fact the reason for his absence I would expect the Pats to pay him either by another bump or an extension(if those are possible?).

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding was he was healing from an injury received last December

Thought it will end after this season... But who knows

From what I've read in several articles is Gilmore is vastly underpaid for his skill level at his position. Apparently BB attempted to address it last year by giving him a bump in salary they're back to the drawing board for this season.

If that is in fact the reason for his absence I would expect the Pats to pay him either by another bump or an extension(if those are possible?).
He is due to get 8 mil this year on a contract he signed, agreed to, it was top loaded, now he wants to play hard ball. Fuck him and his bitch ass tactics trade the mother fucker if this is true.

If he is recovering as indicated by my post then give him time

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is due to get 8 mil this year on a contract he signed, agreed to, it was top loaded, now he wants to play hard ball. Fuck him and his bitch ass tactics trade the mother fucker if this is true.

If he is recovering as indicated by my post then give him time

Typical of players these days. Sign a contract and then get pissed they signed it and hold out

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My understanding is his base pay is low because he already pocketed bonus money tied to that base pay. He's pointing to his base pay and crying foul instead of base + current year allocation of the bonus.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a better narrative than "the money I already agreed to is too low", but do you hold out for an extension?

Again, this undermines others with "less bargaining power" under the collective bargaining agreement because each team has a set number of dollars and if those at the top of the pay scale demand more, there's less available to everyone else.

Last edited:

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical of players these days. Sign a contract and then get pissed they signed it and hold out
Especially a top loaded contract, you know you got you pay early no man up and do what's right.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Renegotiating contracts is a way of life in America. Not just sports.
His salary was bumped last year with some of this years pay.
Typically, it is expected that an extension would be agree upon next (now this) year.
This has been complicated by Gilmore underperforming last year and his injuries.
These complications are delay not preventing negotiations.
He'll need to get healthy 1st.
Showing up at minicamp and not being able to perform does nothing for the team nor Gilmore.
We'll have to be patient and wait to see when real camp comes, if he is ready and motivated.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Renegotiating contracts is a way of life in America. Not just sports.
His salary was bumped last year with some of this years pay.
Typically, it is expected that an extension would be agree upon next (now this) year.
This has been complicated by Gilmore underperforming last year and his injuries.
These complications are delay not preventing negotiations.
He'll need to get healthy 1st.
Showing up at minicamp and not being able to perform does nothing for the team nor Gilmore.
We'll have to be patient and wait to see when real camp comes, if he is ready and motivated.
Okay let's try this.....

You decide you are more valued to your employer and ask to renegotiate your contract, until it's done you claim you will not be returning to work.

As your employer you know what I am doing?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay let's try this.....

You decide you are more valued to your employer and ask to renegotiate your contract, until it's done you claim you will not be returning to work.

As your employer you know what I am doing?
I have renegotiated contracts for myself and my employer.
I would definitely not holdout as a course of action unless there was a really good reason.
A good reason for Gilmore to hold out (at this time) is to not risk injury while trying to get an extension.
He'd be screwed if he sustained furthur injury prior to getting a new contract.....

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have renegotiated contracts for myself and my employer.
I would definitely not holdout as a course of action unless there was a really good reason.
A good reason for Gilmore to hold out (at this time) is to not risk injury while trying to get an extension.
He'd be screwed if he sustained furthur injury prior to getting a new contract.....
So you are still rationalizing him reneging on his contract, there is no way that is right IMO. I feel they should look at the sum of his monies do this year, divide that by the number of days from the start of camp to the end of the season (ie Superbowl Sunday). Then take that much money from his salary daily.

Would he allow the Pats to renegotiate if he had a shitty year? And he had one pick last year I think?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are still rationalizing him reneging on his contract, there is no way that is right IMO. I feel they should look at the sum of his monies do this year, divide that by the number of days from the start of camp to the end of the season (ie Superbowl Sunday). Then take that much money from his salary daily.
I'm not defending him. We just don't know enough about the situation and won't know until he's healthy - or camp starts - or both.
I also don't care if the take the $90,000+ fines from him.
Don't shit a brick if they negotiate a new contract and pay him back the fines.....

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's in a good position.

Patriots need him if they feel they have playoff aspirations.