• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kolb's last stand?
1:45PM ET
Kevin Kolb | Cardinals

Earlier this week, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter passed along word from a source inside the Arizona Cardinals organization, who said that John Skelton is the favorite to win the starting job over Kevin Kolb. We pondered what this mean for Kolb regarding his continued employment by the club beyond 2012.

Friday, Kolb will be the first QB in the game as the Cards take on the Oakland Raiders, and HC Ken Whisenhunt has indicated that his starters will play until they get it right. There is also considerable pressure on Kolb in the contest, as he gets the extended opportunity to make something happen with the first team. If he fails, this could have a devastating effect on his chances to win the job. Nevertheless, Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com doesn't foresee the team cutting Kolb, nor does he lend much credence to the idea of trading for one of the QBs rumored to be available:

"I've already been asked a bunch of times if the Cards will trade for another QB if Kolb doesn't play well, or if they will cut him. I say the same I have been: I expect whoever isn't starting to be the backup this season. But never say never. (I will say that I can't see trading for the contract of Tarvaris Jackson, for instance, at $4M when he's not necessarily an improvement. Same with Colt McCoy. How do they make you better? Especially when they'll be coming in cold? Makes no sense to me.)"

Kolb is not the only one under pressure, of course. If Skelton comes in -- whenever he comes in -- and lays an egg (figuratively, of course), the coaches probably won't feel any more comfortable with him in the pocket.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Owens' roster spot
7:32AM ET
Terrell Owens | Seahawks

Earlier this week, a report indicated that the Seattle Seahawks would either keep one or neither of Terrell Owens or Braylon Edwards, but not both of them. Though they line up at different positions within the realm of WRs, neither one of them would likely offer to work on special teams, which is generally a requirement of wideouts lower on the depth chart.

Edwards got off to a fine start, leading the Seahawks in reception yardage in the preseason opener (as well as a TD catch), but Owens will get a chance to show what he's got during this week's event. "I'm not going to tell you how many plays it will be," Seahawks HC Pete Carroll indicated, per the Seattle Times. "We'll see how it goes, but he's going to play pretty early in the game."

The Seahawks have a large group of players competing at WR this preseason, and many of the others would seem to be more willing than Owens (or Edwards, for that matter) to contribute on special teams as well. Owens will have to really make his mark over the next few weeks in order to retain his spot on the team.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owens' roster spot
7:32AM ET
Terrell Owens | Seahawks

Earlier this week, a report indicated that the Seattle Seahawks would either keep one or neither of Terrell Owens or Braylon Edwards, but not both of them. Though they line up at different positions within the realm of WRs, neither one of them would likely offer to work on special teams, which is generally a requirement of wideouts lower on the depth chart.

Edwards got off to a fine start, leading the Seahawks in reception yardage in the preseason opener (as well as a TD catch), but Owens will get a chance to show what he's got during this week's event. "I'm not going to tell you how many plays it will be," Seahawks HC Pete Carroll indicated, per the Seattle Times. "We'll see how it goes, but he's going to play pretty early in the game."

The Seahawks have a large group of players competing at WR this preseason, and many of the others would seem to be more willing than Owens (or Edwards, for that matter) to contribute on special teams as well. Owens will have to really make his mark over the next few weeks in order to retain his spot on the team.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Pete Carroll is a dolt - you keep your best players Pete - it's pretty simple, but apparently not simple enough.