• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beanie's return
11:11AM ET
Beanie Wells | Cardinals

Beanie Wells is not ready to hit the field -- he recently indicated that he'd proceed deliberately in his recovery in order to get back to 100 percent before a return -- but the general feeling is that he'll be taken off the PUP list at some time before the end of the preseason. And that could happen quite soon, actually.

"He will probably start doing some work next week," Cardinals HC Ken Whisenhunt said Monday, per AZCardinals.com. "We'd like to get him involved in preseason games, probably a little bit later. We'll see how it goes."

Fellow RB Ryan Williams is recovering from a severe knee injury in 2011, and is not a certainty to be on the field for the club's preseason opener on Sunday. With Wells and Williams potentially both out, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Alfonso Smith and William Powell will handle the RB duties.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bridges vs. Massie
10:04AM ET
Jeremy Bridges | Cardinals

The Arizona Cardinals and New Orleans Saints get a head-start on seeing their teams in live action, as they'll kick off their slate of preseason games on Sunday. As a result, we've gotten some early hints as to position battles for the clubs, and one of those battles for Arizona is occurring at RT between veteran Jeremy Bridges and 2012 fourth-round pick Bobby Massie. And, perhaps surprisingly to some, it's been a convivial experience thus far.

"He's been showing me things every day and a lot more stuff since we got up here," Massie said this week, according to the Arizona Republic. "That's not what I expected coming in, but he's proven me wrong. I thought for sure he'd be the other way, but he's a cool dude. He's been helping me with my technique, showing me some tricks, and he's been way cool to me."

"I'm a veteran, man. I have no ill will toward that young man," Bridges explained. "This is a business, first and foremost. It's no secret they brought him in for the future and whether it's next year or the year after that, the kid's eventually going to start. Hopefully, I'll be around when he is starting. I've found a home here and I want to be here until I retire. If the kid needs help, I'm going to help him out. I just want him to be ready."

As for this week, Bridges, the incumbent, is listed in the No. 1 slot at RT. Whether that changes by Week 1 remains to be seen.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Injured Cardinals getting closer
3:55PM ET
Arizona Cardinals

Per Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com, running back Ryan Williams will be a game-time decision for the Hall of Fame Game on Sunday when the Arizona Cardinals square off against the New Orleans Saints. Trainer Tom Reed likely will make the call as to whether Williams is ready to return from the ruptured patella tendon that cost him all of the 2012 season.

"I'd like for him to get in for a couple of plays, but he may not feel that way," coach Ken Whisenhunt said.

Williams is ahead of fellow RB Beanie Wells in getting up to full speed, as Wells remains on the active/PUP list while recovering from his own knee injury. Whisenhunt said that both Wells and tight end Jeff King (quad) could begin practicing next week.

All three of the aforementioned players will need to avoid setbacks in order to be ready for the regular-season opener versus the Seattle Seahawks.

- Tom Carpenter​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bradford feeling good: The Rams official team website reports that as quarterback Sam Bradford enters his third season in the NFL, he’s feeling as good as ever. “My arm feels probably as strong as it’s ever felt," he said. "I think a big thing for me is maintaining that. Obviously during camp you take a lot of reps, you make a lot of throws, so staying on top of my shoulder and my body, making sure that it stays in shape is something that I am going to be really aware of this year.” Bradford remains aware of the ankle injury he suffered last year and says he’s constantly taking the steps necessary to ensure a full recovery. So far, though, Bradford hasn’t been bothered by the ankle and has impressed his teammates and coaches with his grasp of the offense as well as the way he’s been throwing it on the field.
(Updated 08/01/2012)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
T.O.'s fit for Seattle
3:45PM ET
Terrell Owens | Bengals

There were some legitimate concerns raised when the news made the rounds that the Seattle Seahawks were hosting free agent WR Terrell Owens for a workout on Monday. But, it appears as though those worries have been coaxed away... at least enough for him to get a shot with Pete Carroll's team during training camp.

A league source has revealed to ESPN's Ed Werder that T.O. had an impressive workout for Seattle on Monday -- including a sub-4.5 40-yard dash, per ESPN.com's Mike Sando -- and the Seahawks are expected to sign the WR.

It remains to be seen just how T.O. will fit in for a team that has Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Ricardo Lockette, Braylon Edwards and a slew of others already on the roster. But his effort on Monday at least solves the riddle of whether he's still in good physical shape at age 38.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
This is a calculated risk

"Owens' reputation as a high-maintenance, somewhat unstable force precedes him. It raises legitimate questions about the wisdom of adding him to a locker room filled with quite a few young players and no established starting quarterback. But if Owens can play at a high level -- and he should be motivated after encountering financial difficulties -- he can help a team."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Skelton with the upper hand?
10:08AM ET
John Skelton | Cardinals

There was significant pressure on Kevin Kolb leading up to Sunday night's Hall of Fame game against the New Orleans Saints. And after completing just two of his four passes thrown -- one to a teammate and one to Saints S Malcolm Jenkins -- he was knocked out of the game with what was initially called a rib contusion but was later identified as a bruised chest muscle. After John Skelton led the Cards to their lone score of the contest, we're left to ask: Does the Fordham product now have the upper hand?

"I don't think it?s a character flaw that Kevin Kolb gets hurt," Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com wrote after the contest. "Does it hurt when he's not on the field? Of course. Dave McGinnis used to say 'Availability is more important than ability,' and in many ways, that's true. If you can't stay healthy, the rest doesn't matter. But you're never going to convince me Kolb is less of a person because he won't 'tough out' an injury. Especially in a freaking preseason game. The first one, in fact. I would give tonight to John Skelton, obviously. But this isn't over, no matter how much everyone wants it to be. We'll see how Kolb reacts this week. Only a couple days of practice before the Chiefs game."

ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando isn't ready to write Kolb off, either, but notes that if he's going to be getting hurt so often, he's got to deliver the goods when he is on the field:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
Kolb needs to show them something

"Player safety is a legitimate concern, but some hard NFL truths remain. Players cannot earn their peers' respect from the sideline. They must prove they can play through injuries. Quarterbacks especially must do this if they're going to win over a locker room. We saw Tarvaris Jackson do that last season in Seattle by playing through a torn pectoral muscle. We saw Sam Bradford do that for the St. Louis Rams, limping through a Monday night game at Seattle despite a high-ankle sprain that easily could have sidelined him. It's impossible to know whether Kolb could have played through the toe injury that sidelined him last season. It would be irresponsible to suggest Kolb should have returned more quickly from the concussion that kept him off the field for the final three games. There was obviously no sense in Kolb gutting it out in a meaningless preseason game Sunday night, of course. We just know this: Kolb keeps getting hurt, and he hasn't fared well enough when healthy."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is Michael Crabtree a bust? A Look at his time with the 49ers so far. - ************.com

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quick starting as a rookie?
10:26AM ET
Brian Quick | Rams

The St. Louis Rams have invested quite a bit at the QB position -- first-round pick Sam Bradford -- and at OT, with a first- and second-rounder at the bookend spots on the O-line (Rodger Saffold and Jason Smith). There's just one problem: they've yet to land themselves a top-flight WR, a trend that continued this offseason as they traded out of the Top 10, instead opting for DT Michael Brockers after moving down to No. 14. In fact, Bradford's top returning target is former UDFA Danny Amendola.

The team has drafted several WRs in recent seasons, though none of them has seemed to pan out. They hope this trend will be reversed with 2012 second-rounder Brian Quick, and on Monday, the Appalachian St. product was working with the first-team offense, according to Nick Wagoner of StLouisRams.com.

This doesn't necessarily mean that Quick will step into a starting role right away this year, but it is a sign that the Rams haven't yet ruled out that possibility.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Latest Cards QB buzz
2:06PM ET
Kevin Kolb | Cardinals

The fact that Kevin Kolb was knocked out of Sunday's preseason opener with a rib injury has been viewed by some as a negative reflection on his chances for winning the Arizona Cardinals' starting QB battle, but in reality, the decision for John Skelton to be the starter for the second game of the preseason was made before the injury. And according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic, both Kolb and Cards HC Ken Whisenhunt are confident that the Houston product will play.

The argument for playing is that Kolb wants to do more in his battle against Skelton, and it's hard to do that from the sidelines; playing through an injury will also inspire confidence from his teammates. The argument against playing is that he could suffer a setback, which could decide the QB debate then and there.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
Sitting out would be a mistake

"If Kolb is as prone to injuries as it appears, he'll have to play through various ailments when the games start counting. The preseason games count quite a bit as long as there's competition for the starting job."