• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the argument over signing bonus and roster bonus and the addition of your post (to the other thread), I wanted to add the following link. It doesn't change anything anyone's said so I'm not arguing with anyone here. This has nothing to do with protections teams put in contracts, because if they could reclaim it, what's the point of lowering a contract to punish bad bed making in college? If something happens, just reclaim it. (Of course, the contract has to allow that, but isn't that standard?)

Q: Please explain what is meant by the term "guaranteed." Does guaranteed mean unconditionally guaranteed, conditionally guaranteed, or a combination of both conditions? (Mark Walsh)

In my world, guaranteed means guaranteed. But in recent years, that meaning has become a lot more hazy when it comes to NFL contracts.

Each contract can be different. Typically, a signing bonus is fully guaranteed (unless the player does something out of the ordinary to prompt the team to reclaim a portion of it). And when a high-profile player signs a multi-year deal, the first year or two of base salaries might also be guaranteed.

Most contracts now can contain guarantees for skill, cap, or injury. Some of these deals use the term "total guarantee" even though some of that money is not guaranteed at all.

49ers Mailbag: Who's in line for extension?

Under the terms of the old CBA claw-backs fell somewhere between difficult to nearly impossible - (see Michael Vick). How the new CBA is set-up to deal with claw-backs would be interesting to know since the Vick ordeal did ruffle some feathers and was considered a wedge issue between the league and the NFLPA.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok let me summarize:

1. you start off sincere ($341), but then you start talking down pretty quickly, being condenscening in #345.
2. i tell you "talking down" isn't necessary, cause it makes you lose respect. [btw - you've already done it to others]
3. you flat out say you weren't condescending, even accusing me of being the 9 year old.
4. i re-post the clear evidence where YOU were condenscending. it was very clear in numurous sentences.
5. you're not able to re-post where i acted like a 9 year old, so you harshly accuse me of something, but have absolutely no evidence. you flat out lied by saying i acted immaturely, like a 9 year old.
6. above you start off by saying its #341, as though #345 can now be erased, as though #345 never happened.
7. above you're answering to your own post......in detail??!! i guess talking to yourself justifies your actions....in YOUR own mind. who is the one thats insane answering his own post? think about it a little bit, why did you do it to begin with? just remember answering your own post is you talking, not me.
8. above, you're still being condenscending all the while saying you're not.
9. you keep talking about a roster bonus and signing bonus when it wasn't even mentioned in the original article. ie you made it up but worse, you keep insisting i don't understand it? a signing bonus doesn't include a roster bonus, so who's not understanding 'signing bonus' in the first place?
10. you avoid my question which is the real issue at hand? because you already know you can't answer the question, at least not honestly. my answer has been clear from post 1, so why the ploy to throw it back at me?

you're always trying to use fancy talk to make you look smart. but most people here look past the fancy words, fancy grammer, tough talk, etc.. in the end, your own posting speaks for itself.

expressing an opinion isn't "telling the truth", whereas i posted clear evidence you're condescending. so who's REALLY telling the truth?

the ironic thing is........i think you had good things to say.....until you get into this "placing yourself up on a pedestal" mode......too bad. anyways, it ends here, cause you've already convinced yourself what you said on my behalf is what i said too.

Fancy words & Fancy grammar? That was painful! I am just ever so thankful you didn't add "Fancy pants" as that would have been unbarable.

Look, Deep, I'm not your enemy so stop trying to make me your enemy and stop trying to insult people, that is never going to work out well for you.

I'm not going to address this dreck beyond item #9 as I feel that may help to clear up some things up.

9. you keep talking about a roster bonus and signing bonus when it wasn't even mentioned in the original article. ie you made it up but worse, you keep insisting i don't understand it? a signing bonus doesn't include a roster bonus, so who's not understanding 'signing bonus' in the first place?

The following quotes were taken from the ORGINAL ARTICLE.

"Hernandez, the 15th pick in the fourth round that year, received a four-year deal that included a signing bonus of only $200,000."

"What the Patriots did with Hernandez was give him better payouts on roster bonuses…"

Do you see the phrases "roster bonus[es]" and "signing bonus", because I sort of do.

I will make mistakes in my posting from time to time, but lying and making shit up? Not going to happen. You can call me a ruthless, prickass, POS, motherfucking asshole all you want. I'll wear those appellations like badges of honor, but accusing me of just making shit up or outright lying? Nah, save those titles for the little people - that's not my style Brother.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn impressive that someone from England remained a 49ers fan through all that crap and only 3 good years up until last year. Most young fans would have bailed in 99 when the wheels came off.

Damn impressive article for someone across the pond as well - This kid is better than many of the hacks we have right here in the Bay Area!

Favorite quote:

"Now the head is Harbaugh. Without doubt, the man has his quirks (if Crabtree really does have the best hands in the NFL, then I’m Dutch)"

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found what I think you were referencing. I don't believe in the conclusion, so ignore the title in the link but the stats are interesting. Picking a certain timeframe to me is ok if it is last xxxx games/snaps. If someone were to say the numbers 6-12, not 12-15 (and we were currently on 15) it wouldn't mean anything. But from 6-15 (again, currently on 15) would mean something to me.

Inside the Numbers: Alex Smith

I think these stats are veriably correct.

QB RATING (past 665 attempts)

1. Aaron Rodgers, Packers, 114.88

2. Drew Brees, Saints, 106.21

3. Tom Brady, Patriots, 102.85

4. Tony Romo, Cowboys, 101.45

5. Matthew Stafford, Lions, 96.32

6. Eli Manning, Giants, 94.23

7. Alex Smith, 49ers, 92.81

8. Peyton Manning, Broncos, 92.74

9. Matt Schaub, Texans, 91.93

10. Matt Ryan, Falcons, 90.79

11. Philip Rivers, Chargers, 88.98

12. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers, 88.25

13. Michael Vick, Eagles, 86.35

14. Jay Cutler, Bears, 83.69

15. Joe Flacco, Ravens, 83.12

YARDS (past 665 attempts)

1. Rodgers, 5,822

2. Brees, 5,519

3. Brady, 5,503

4. E. Manning, 5,407

5. Rivers, 5,363

6. Romo, 5,339

7. Roethlisberger, 5,212

8. Vick, 5,189

9. Stafford, 5,060

10. Schaub, 4,940

11. Cutler, 4,824

12. Alex Smith, 4,780

13. Ryan, 4,777

14. P. Manning, 4,690

15. Flacco, 4,433

TOUCHDOWNS (past 665 attempts)

1. Rodgers, 53

2. Brees, 46

3. Brady, 42

4. Romo, 41

5. Stafford, 40

6. P. Manning, 33

T7. Cutler, 32

T7. E. Manning, 32

T7. Ryan, 32

T10. Schaub, 30

T10. Alex Smith, 30

T12. Rivers, 29

T. 12 Vick, 29

T14. Flacco, 27

T. 14 Roethlisberger, 27

INTERCEPTIONS (past 665 attempts)

1. Alex Smith, 6

2. Rodgers, 9

3. Schaub, 13

T4. Ryan, 14

T4. Flacco, 14

T6. Brees, 15

T6. Brady, 15

T6. E. Manning, 15

9. Stafford, 16

T10. Romo, 17

T10. P. Manning, 17

12. Roethlisberger, 19

T13. Cutler, 21

T13. Vick, 21

15. Rivers, 22

COMPLETION PERCENTAGE (past 665 attempts)

1. Brees, 70.1

2. Romo, 67.2

T3. P. Manning, 66.5

T3. Rodgers, 66.5

5. Brady, 65.6

T6. Rivers, 63.0

T6. Stafford, 63.0

8. Schaub, 62.4

9. Rothlisberger, 62.3

10. E. Manning, 62.0

11. Ryan, 61.8

12. Vick, 60.5

13. Alex Smith, 59.4

T14. Cutler, 58.2

T14. Flacco, 58.2

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Braylon drawing interest
2:32PM ET
Braylon Edwards | 49ers

It's taken a while, but some of the league's more recognizable free agents are finally getting some notice. Earlier on Thursday, we learned that WR Roy Williams got a tryout with the Houston Texans, and now comes word from Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports that fellow pass-catcher Braylon Edwards is working out for the Seattle Seahawks.

The Seahawks have some uncertainty at WR, and an opening there following the release of Mike Williams. Edwards did not offer too much during his tenure as a San Francisco 49er in 2011, but if healthy, could be an asset. Earlier speculation that Edwards was on the radar of the Bengals and Jets has since been debunked.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Prognosis for Wells, Williams
1:39PM ET
Beanie Wells | Cardinals

Looking beyond the Arizona Cardinals' QB competition, there are some interesting questions on offense: How quickly will rookie WR Michael Floyd get up to speed and earn a starting role? Will the offensive line perform any better? And how will the team deal with the fact that both of their top two RBs are banged up as training camp gets underway?

On Wednesday, Beanie Wells confirmed that he'd had surgery on his knee -- Wells begins camp on the PUP list -- though he did not reveal exactly what was done. "I had a scope and we did some things in there. Kind of let some things settle down and get right," Wells explained, according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic. "I'm going to take my time," he said, regarding his rehabilitation. "I don't think anybody wants to see a 75 percent Beanie Wells. Everybody wants to see a 100 percent Beanie Wells and that's what I want to give."

Sticking with mathematics, Wells' understudy Ryan Williams -- who missed the entire 2011 season with a knee injury -- estimated that he is at 85 percent. At least one of the two should be good to go by the season opener; if not, it wouldn't be surprising to see the Cards have a look at some of the veteran FAs on the market, such as Cedric Benson, Ryan Grant or Joseph Addai.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braylon drawing interest
2:32PM ET
Braylon Edwards | 49ers

It's taken a while, but some of the league's more recognizable free agents are finally getting some notice. Earlier on Thursday, we learned that WR Roy Williams got a tryout with the Houston Texans, and now comes word from Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports that fellow pass-catcher Braylon Edwards is working out for the Seattle Seahawks.

The Seahawks have some uncertainty at WR, and an opening there following the release of Mike Williams. Edwards did not offer too much during his tenure as a San Francisco 49er in 2011, but if healthy, could be an asset. Earlier speculation that Edwards was on the radar of the Bengals and Jets has since been debunked.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Man, did this guys career fall off the table or what? I had completely forgot about BE. I like Braylon but would rather see him resurrect his career somewhere other than an NFC West team - unless of course he plays like he did in SF.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, did this guys career fall off the table or what? I had completely forgot about BE. I like Braylon but would rather see him resurrect his career somewhere other than an NFC West team - unless of course he plays like he did in SF.

Considering how much the team could have used a healthy Braylon Edwards last year, that'd be a punch in the gut if he stayed healthy and gave the Seahawks what the 49ers hoped to get from him.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how much the team could have used a healthy Braylon Edwards last year, that'd be a punch in the gut if he stayed healthy and gave the Seahawks what the 49ers hoped to get from him.

Exactly!!! I could not have hit that nail any better myself, Three.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will Carpenter play in 2012?
11:55AM ET
James Carpenter | Seahawks

The Seattle Seahawks surprised some observers when they used their first-round draft pick in 2011 on Alabama OT James Carpenter. They'd invested a first-round pick on Russell Okung in 2010, and it seemed like overkill to get another OT so early in the next year's draft; furthermore, he did not carry a first-round grade from most draft analysts. Even so, Carpenter made nine starts for Pete Carroll's team in 2011 before tearing his ACL during a practice session last November.

Initially, it was thought that Carpenter would open training camp on the PUP list, and possibly start the season there, too. However, he was expected to return to the starting lineup at some point. As we get closer to those important dates on the calendar, it appears less likely that Carpenter will be a contributor at all this season, in the opinion of ESPN's John Clayton.

"That knee was bad," Clayton said during an appearance on 710 AM ESPN Radio. "It hasn't really had a full time to heal. I think he's slow in healing. If they get four games out of him they're lucky. I don't think they're going to get any games out of him."

The Seahawks have Breno Giacomini -- who replaced Carpenter in the starting lineup last season -- as well as Paul McQuistan, Frank Omiyale and Alex Barron on the roster. With Carpenter out, this becomes a key training camp battle for Seattle.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What Bryant can do for Seattle
7:26AM ET
Antonio Bryant | Bengals

The Seattle Seahawks took a gander at veteran FA WR Braylon Edwards on Thursday, and they've elected to pass on signing him. One of the reasons why is that they've chosen to sign fellow veteran WR Antonio Bryant, according to the Seattle Times. Bryant has been out of football since being released by the Cincinnati Bengals prior to the start of the 2010 season, but they saw enough Thursday (and earlier, at a tryout during minicamp) to ink him.

It's hard to project what exactly Bryant can do for Seattle -- given that gap on his resume -- but ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando writes that the club does have some prior success with reclamation projects:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
This should be fun to watch

"The Seahawks, having improbably revived Mike Williams' career in 2010, have experience giving long-forgotten wideouts a look (Reggie Williams was another one the team checked out two years ago). Bryant finished the 2008 season with 83 receptions for 1,248 yards and seven touchdowns for Tampa Bay. Those were career-best numbers across the board. Bryant's conditioning wasn't up to NFL standards a month ago. He has presumably improved in that area. His progress will be another storyline to follow when Seattle opens camp Saturday."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
T-Jack on the roster bubble?
3:22PM ET
Tarvaris Jackson | Seahawks

There are some who believe that Tarvaris Jackson may have an edge in the Seattle Seahawks' QB battle, owing to his experience level both as a member of the team and in Darrell Bevell's offense. Others believe that Matt Flynn -- the key offseason acquisition -- or Russell Wilson -- the third-round draft pick -- will eventually win the job.

ESPN's John Clayton believes that Jackson is deficient in a particularly important aspect of the game; furthermore, he believes there's a chance that he could be released before the 2012 season even kicks off:

- Tim Kavanagh​

John Clayton
He'll need to take a pay cut if he's the backup
"Jackson plateaued as a quarterback in Minnesota and hasn't gotten much better. Sure, he's a good leader. Sure, he has a good arm. But he's not very good in fourth quarters. He had an all-star team for years in Minnesota and couldn't get them to 10 wins, which is why he lost starting jobs to Gus Frerotte and Brett Favre. I still believe Matt Flynn will win the starting job in Seattle. The team will cut Jackson if he doesn't take a paycut from his $4 million salary."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kolb the favorite?
1:39PM ET
Kevin Kolb | Cardinals

There was some controversy last week regarding the Arizona Cardinals' QB battle, as NFL Network analyst Willie McGinest revealed that he had spoken with some members of the team, and those players indicated that they preferred John Skelton over Kevin Kolb. Cards HC Ken Whisenhunt was quick to dispel those rumors, though there is still considerable pressure on Kolb to perform after what the team went through to acquire (and pay) him.

That pressure continues this week, as the Cardinals have released their depth chart for their opening preseason game (this upcoming Sunday!) and it lists Kolb in the QB1 slot, according to ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando.

This is not an unexpected development, as Sando explains:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
It's time for Kolb to prove that he's the No. 1
"Designating the highly paid Kolb as the backup, even on paper, would subtly undercut him heading into the preseason. Reading such a sentence would probably make coach Ken Whisenhunt cringe; he's never worried much about quarterbacks' feelings on these matters. But there's no sense in rubbing Kolb's nose in the fact that John Skelton is being given a chance to compete for the job. The job should be Kolb's to lose until he loses it, which he clearly has not done to this point in the process. Kolb's contract will force the team to make a decision on his status after the 2012 season. It's important for the team to finds out for sure whether Kolb can be the quarterback Arizona thought it was getting by trade last offseason."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Turbin ready if Lynch is out?
10:40AM ET
Seattle Seahawks

After the news of Marshawn Lynch's latest off-field troubles, there was a mad dash to check on the Seattle Seahawks' depth chart to assess who'd be the man to step in should Lynch be suspended by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. That man is rookie Robert Turbin, a fourth-round pick out of Utah State, and Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com checked in with an update on Turbin's development this weekend.

Thus far, the focus of Turbin's work has been adopting the one-cut running style demanded by assistant HC/O-line coach Tom Cable. "He kind of went in there and pity-pattered. Kind of stomping snakes, you know," Cable said of Turbin's early runs in camp. "You can't do that in this system -- and in this league -- because you're going to get hit about 18 times."

Nevertheless, Cable has seen some improvement in the young RB, and the expectation is that Turbin will have a fairly extensive role whether Lynch is suspended or not; the team wants to keep their lead back fresh, and having a reliable understudy will be vital in that endeavor.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kolb OK, will start Sunday
3:53PM ET
Kevin Kolb | Cardinals

There was some good news and some, well, news about Kevin Kolb on Tuesday. After exiting Monday's practice early it was determined that the quarterback sustained only a thigh contusion. Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said Kolb may not practice Tuesday afternoon, but he is expected to get back in the mix for Wednesday's session, according to Darren Urban of the team's official website.

Whisenhunt also noted that Kolb will start over John Skelton when they kick off the preseason in the Hall of Fame game Sunday versus the New Orleans Saints. However, Urban cautions to not read too much into Kolb getting the initial nod.

"Starting Sunday doesn't mean much; I'd expect that John Skelton will get a start or two in the preseason as well as the two continue to compete for the permanent starting job," said Urban.

If the Cards want to have success this season, they'll have to keep their QBs healthy:

- Tom Carpenter​

Mike Sando
Welcome injury news for Cards, 49ers
"Injuries ruined Kolb's first season with the Cardinals. He needs to remain on the field to hold off John Skelton for the starting job this season. Further, the Cardinals need both quarterbacks healthy to maximize their chances for getting the best quarterback on the field. So much is at stake for Kolb and the organization, including coach Ken Whisenhunt."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Braylon signs, Lockette impresses
12:53PM ET
Seattle Seahawks

The Seattle Seahawks signed free-agent wide receiver Braylon Edwards to a one-year contract Tuesday, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Edwards couldn't get healthy last season and was released by the San Francisco 49ers in December. If he can stay healthy this season, he could start opposite Sidney Rice, with Doug Baldwin manning the slot.

The arrival of Edwards will make things tougher on guys like Golden Tate and Ben Obomanu, especially if Ricardo Lockette continues to impress. Per Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times, Lockette has had "a very strong start to training camp." WRs coach Kippy Brown likes what he's seen from the second-year receiver.

"Making progress," Brown said of Lockette's camp. "Making progress. Again, he's a guy who can sit there and tell you what everybody does now where he couldn't before. But we don't want to move him a lot because he performs better when we kind of keep him in one spot. But we could, and there will be times that we will."

- Tom Carpenter​