• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seahawks/Rams/Cardinals:whip:(49ers)

Scout's take: 2012 NFC West QB situations
March, 26, 2012 1:59PM ET
By Mike Sando

Three-fourths of the NFC West wanted a shot at Peyton Manning this offseason.

The Seattle Seahawks' Pete Carroll and John Schneider flew to Denver in a failed attempt to catch Manning before the quarterback departed for Arizona.

The Cardinals met with Manning at their facility.

The San Francisco 49ers then emerged as a surprise finalist for Manning, with Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh flying to watch Manning work out in North Carolina.

Manning was a special case, to be sure, but those teams' interest also reflected on relatively weak quarterback situations in Seattle, Arizona and San Francisco. The position has stabilized within the division since Manning signed with Denver, providing an opportunity to bring in Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. for thoughts on where teams stand.

Mike Sando: Let's begin with the Seahawks, the only team in the division to bring in a new likely starter from the outside. Does Matt Flynn improve the situation?

Matt Flynn provides an upgrade for the Seahawks, but isn't a franchise QB, according to Matt Williamson.

Matt Williamson: Yes, and that is the best word. When free agency hit, I wasn't huge on Flynn. I thought people would be beating down his doors, and he worried me. I think he's good, not great. I would not use the term 'franchise quarterback' for him. But he improves them and I can't be critical of any team that gets better at QB.

Sando: What limits your enthusiasm on him?

Williamson: His overall talent, his ability to throw the football, his size and strength -- they're all just a little above average. He was a seventh-round draft choice for a reason. You have to keep him ahead of the chains, you need the running game. He doesn't take the team on its shoulders if things fall apart around him. If you manufacture offense, know what he is capable of doing, minimize turnovers, I think you can win a lot of games that way. In the end, he is an upgrade. And they did not spend a fortune for him.

I look at Seattle like the arrow is going up, they are getting better in all areas and they are young. This is a nice signing. Tarvaris Jackson played well and he was injured, and he exceeded my expectations, but that is as good as he is going to play. He is still a liability more than an asset. Flynn can get to a point where he can be more of an asset than a liability.

Sando: You said we've seen the best from Jackson. A lot of people think we've seen the best from the 49ers' Alex Smith as well.

Williamson: I agree. I really think it's going to be Colin Kaepernick's job not far down the line. They are going out and getting vertical guys, guys who can really run. That doesn't fit Alex Smith. Yes, it will open up room for Frank Gore and Vernon Davis, but after a while, people are going to realize they don't have to take away the deep ball. I think Harbaugh wants Kaepernick out there. He wants a guy to use the whole field.

Sando: The contract Smith signed was for three seasons and can max out at $33 million, but the 49ers can easily exit the deal after one or two years and a lot less money.

The 49ers brought back Alex Smith, but Colin Kaepernick, left, is San Francisco's future at QB.

Williamson: Everyone realized that offense was easy to play against last year because they had no weapons on the outside to scare you deep. Harbaugh knew that, so he was really creative with his big-body personnel, using a lot of six-man line sets, double tights, heavy formations. They did a lot of odd things and had to coach up points. I think he wants more explosiveness for sure and more verticality, and Kaepernick has those traits much more than Smith. They traded up to get Kaepernick for a reason. You don’t use a second-round pick for a quarterback who is very toolsy without looking at him as the starter.

Sando: Smith did go 13-3 last season. He did make the winning plays against New Orleans in the wild-card round. Is the trajectory pointing up on him?

Williamson: Smith minimized the negative plays and will never be any better than he was doing that. He may get more confident, may make a few more throws, but what we saw in that one playoff game will be few and far between. He is an OK player, but has a real low ceiling.

Sando: Cardinals fans are hoping that comment doesn't apply to Kevin Kolb as well. Kolb had trouble staying on the field last season, missing extended period with toe and head injuries. He struggled when he was on the field as well.

Williamson: I look at Kolb like I look at the rookies last year. The lockout, those guys got thrown into the fire in an unfair manner. Any quarterback changing teams, especially a QB with limited experience, never got the minicamps or the things they needed. But man, I didn't like anything I saw from Kolb. I think their quarterback situation is the worst in the league right now, right there with the Browns and the Dolphins and a few other teams.

Sando: Arizona saw enough to pay a $7 million bonus to Kolb, keeping him on the roster. The alternative was heading toward the draft with John Skelton as the only starting prospect. That would have been rough. What about Kolb bothered you the most last season?

Williamson: I just didn’t see anything to get excited about. Didn’t see tools or the willingness to hang in the pocket. Maybe he was just uncomfortable. A couple guys who floundered last season could step up big after having a regular offseason. I just did not see anything. Kolb does not stand as firm in the pocket as I would like. I'd like to see him more willing to take hits to deliver the football.

Sando: Kolb did that well on a deep pass to Larry Fitzgerald at Washington early in the season, absorbing a crushing hit to complete a game-changing pass. But that play was an exception. Kolb did bail from pressure too frequently, and he could not stay on the field.

Williamson: Ken Whisenhunt was used to Ben Roethlisberger, who is the opposite. Kurt Warner is the opposite, too. He would take a hit, let it go at the absolute last second.

Sando: Any discussion about quarterbacks getting hit should include the St. Louis Rams' Sam Bradford. He took 36 sacks in 10 games last season. Bradford has a new offensive coordinator, Brian Schotteneheimer, and a new head coach promising to protect him.

Rams WRs: Career Totals
WR Rec. TD
Steve Smith 231 12
Danny Amendola 133 4
Brandon Gibson 123 4
Danario Alexander 46 3
Greg Salas 27 0
Austin Pettis 27 0
Dominique Curry 0 0

Williamson: I am a Bradford guy who had no problem with their decision not to take Robert Griffin III. The Rams have had as good an offseason as anyone. The more I look at last season -- mix in Bradford's injuries, the bad line, having no weapons -- it was an impossible endeaver. Throw that away. Jeff Fisher is smart and has a history of bringing along guys slowly, of running Eddie George and playing defense. Schottenheimer did a ton of that with the Jets, maybe even too much, but he had to.

Sando: Right. Schottenheimer was trying to take off pressure from Mark Sanchez, at least until last season.

Williamson: Sanchez isn't close to Bradford. My concern with the Rams would be two years from now, if Bradford still does look like the first overall pick, will they take the reins off? Harnessing him back now, I have no problem with that. Win some games, lean on others. But will they allow him to be great when he is ready? They are conservative by nature.

Sando: Shorter term, the Rams haven't done anything to help Bradford in the playmaker department. They've actually gotten worse in that area after losing Brandon Lloyd to free agency.

Williamson: They will end up with Trent Richardson or Justin Blackmon in the draft, but it would have been nice to add some kind of veteran. Maybe Mario Manningham. At least a No. 2 type. They do have a lot of young guys from last year and maybe someone steps up, but it's not real exciting. I would not have paid what Pierre Garcon got, though. Robert Meachem got good money too. St. Louis is not the most attractive free-agent landing spot for a receiver right now. But the team is set up for the long term, at least. They will get a top-10-type stud wideout in the next year or two.

Sando: Thanks for the conversation, Matt. I'll be on the lookout for you next Football Today podcast, which posts right here each week. The next one goes live Monday.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Around the NFC West: Flynn's NFL path
March, 26, 2012 8:00AM ET
By Mike Sando

High hopes for Sam Bradford and Kevin Kolb gave way to a largely unanticipated development in 2011: Alex Smith was the best quarterback in the NFC West.

How will Matt Flynn affect the division's quarterback dynamics in 2012?

Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times profiles the Seahawks' recently signed prospect, revealing Flynn to be determined and possessing a strong work ethic. O'Neil: "For all the hope and expectation that has been bundled into his acquisition, Flynn has been a starting quarterback for exactly one of the previous nine seasons he has played football. At the age of 26, he has started just 16 games since high school, going 13-3 in those games." Noted: Former Seahawks starter Matt Hasselbeck followed a similar path. He was a backup heading into six of his eight previous seasons when Seattle acquired him in 2001.

Brady Henderson of 710ESPN Seattle notes that an increasing number of mock drafts are sending linebacker Luke Kuechly to the Seahawks in the first round. Noted: Linebacker is a position of need, and Seattle will not have big money invested in the position, even if Leroy Hill and David Hawthorne re-sign.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic says William Gay, signed by the Cardinals after Richard Marshall signed with Miami, could challenge for a starting job. Somers: "Marshall played a valuable role for the Cardinals last season as a part-time starter and as a cornerback and safety in nickel packages. Gay could make similar contributions and should challenge for a starting spot opposite Patrick Peterson. That position is open. Greg Toler and A.J. Jefferson are among other contenders." Noted: Peterson should take a fairly significant step forward. Gay adds welcome experience.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says the Rams re-signed one of their top special-teams players, Brit Miller, while losing another, Chris Chamberlain. Thomas: "In varying degrees, the Rams remain in conversation with several free agents who have visited Rams Park recently: offensive guards Chilo Rachal (San Francisco) and Robert Turner (New York Jets), offensive tackle Barry Richardson (Kansas City), outside linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar (New Orleans) and wide receiver Steve Smith (Philadelphia)." Noted: Richardson played every offensive snap for the Chiefs last season.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com offers this regarding 49ers quarterbacks Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick and Josh Johnson: "I don't see the move to add Johnson as a sign that the 49ers are looking at demoting Smith or Kaepernick. I see it as a move designed to strengthen the position as a whole. The practice and play of the four quarterbacks will determine the order in which the depth chart is stacked at the beginning of the season." Noted: Johnson's ties to Harbaugh make him an intriguing candidate for more than the No. 3 role if Smith departs in another season or two, but those ties do not amount to a free pass. Johnson must prove he belongs.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee notes that the 49ers' Aldon Smith was sporting a bandaged left hand/wrist during a recent team function. No word yet on the severity of any injury.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle gets thoughts on Kaepernick and Johnson from one of their former coaches, Roger Theder. Theder: "I think what Jim is looking for is that work ethic, and I think Josh lost that a little bit at Tampa. He's got it back now because he knows what Harbaugh expects. And Colin’s always had that great work ethic. So I think that’s going to be the deciding factor as far as which guy is the better quarterback."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What the Cardinals want in their corners
March, 25, 2012 12:01PM ET
By Mike Sando

As Darren Urban pointed out, former Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback William Gay has suggested he'll be signing with the Arizona Cardinals.

The Cardinals needed help at the position after losing Richard Marshall to Miami. Gay, who visited Arizona in free agency, would fit the team quite well because Arizona's defensive coordinator, Ray Horton, coached him in Pittsburgh.

This signing would be a telling one for the Cardinals. Gay is about as different from Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie as a cornerback could be. Rodgers-Cromartie, a first-round pick for Arizona in 2008, stands 6-foot-2 and has blazing speed, but he did not provide much of a physical presence.

Gay is 5-10, 190 pounds and not as gifted athletically, but he's tenacious and a willing tackler -- and Horton, like the Steelers, insists that his corners support against the run. That is why the Cardinals were OK trading Rodgers-Cromartie to Philadelphia once Horton became their defensive coordinator before the 2011 season.

Gay did not contribute on special teams to the degree Marshall did for Arizona last season. He did play 95 percent of the Steelers' defensive snaps. He started 15 games. He would give the Cardinals additional flexibility at the position heading into the draft, and instant familiarity with their scheme.

"He has average size and strength with deceptive quickness and agility," the Scouts Inc. report on Gay reads, in part. "He is a physical, reliable tackler and is very aggressive for a perimeter defender. ... He wins with toughness, technique and instincts."

Update: The Cardinals have announced a contract agreement with Gay.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The big shift as NFL free agency advances
March, 25, 2012 9:00AM ET
By Mike Sando

Leverage shifts from players to teams as NFL free agency moves along.

Contract values provide the most persuasive evidence.

As time passes, players with stratospheric expectations must lower their sights to find deals.

Team-issued statements from San Francisco 49ers general manager Trent Baalke have marked the changing landscape with unintended humor.

2012 Unrestricted Free Agents
UFA ARI SF SEA STL
Added 1 3 2 4
Re-signed 3 4 4 0
Lost 2 3 3 2
Unsigned 9 5 8 19

"We are extremely pleased to re-sign an All-Pro player like Carlos," Baalke said when the 49ers re-signed Carlos Rogers on March 16.

Notice the shift when quarterback Alex Smith returned to the team five days later, much deeper into free agency.

"We are pleased that Alex has chosen to continue his career as a 49er," Baalke said then.

The 49ers brought back Rogers. They waited out Smith. Big difference.

More of the same awaited Ted Ginn Jr.'s re-signing a day later.

"We are glad that Ted has decided to return to the 49ers in 2012," Baalke said.

Teams are more proactive in re-signing players early in free agency. Players come back to teams later in the process.

Forty-one unrestricted free agents from NFC West teams remained without contract agreements through Saturday. Eleven of them are at least 33 years old. Another 17 are at least 29.

As the chart shows, St. Louis saw little value in rushing out to secure players from a team that finished 2-14 last season. Nineteen of the 21 original UFAs from the Rams remain unsigned. Two, Brandon Lloyd and Chris Chamberlain, signed elsewhere.

Overall, only seven of the remaining 41 UFAs without contracts were players I listed as starters late in the season: Clark Haggans and Brandon Keith from Arizona; Tony Wragge, Brady Poppinga and Jacob Bell from St. Louis; and two Seattle linebackers, Leroy Hill and David Hawthorne.

Hawthorne stands out as a relatively young starter (26) with an established record of consistent production. He visited Detroit, only to have the Lions re-sign Stephen Tulloch. He visited New Orleans, only to have the Saints reach agreement with Curtis Lofton.

The Seahawks would be better with Hawthorne and Hill back on their roster. Like a lot of teams at this stage, however, they aren't facing a great deal of pressure.

That helps explain why it's been a quiet weekend around here so far.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think it's going to be Colin Kaepernick's job not far down the line. They are going out and getting vertical guys, guys who can really run. That doesn't fit Alex Smith. Yes, it will open up room for Frank Gore and Vernon Davis, but after a while, people are going to realize they don't have to take away the deep ball. I think Harbaugh wants Kaepernick out there. He wants a guy to use the whole field.

They did a lot of odd things and had to coach up points. I think he wants more explosiveness for sure and more verticality, and Kaepernick has those traits much more than Smith. They traded up to get Kaepernick for a reason. You don’t use a second-round pick for a quarterback who is very toolsy without looking at him as the starter.

Smith minimized the negative plays and will never be any better than he was doing that. He may get more confident, may make a few more throws, but what we saw in that one playoff game will be few and far between. He is an OK player, but has a real low ceiling.

All things I've been saying for a while.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sando: A lot of people think we've seen the best from the 49ers' Alex Smith as well.

Williamson: I agree. I really think it's going to be Colin Kaepernick's job not far down the line. They are going out and getting vertical guys, guys who can really run. That doesn't fit Alex Smith. Yes, it will open up room for Frank Gore and Vernon Davis, but after a while, people are going to realize they don't have to take away the deep ball. I think Harbaugh wants Kaepernick out there. He wants a guy to use the whole field.

Smith didn't have vertical guys before, guys who can really run (and catch, eliminating Ginn here), so it's not going to look like a fit. I don't like scouts because they make their money talking about what someone can't do. Don't blame them, just don't like them. Even if they said Kaep was limited in absolutes, I wouldn't like them. They're like those experts who are wrong often but still will make their next statement as absolute. I can't say Smith will do well, but I don't see this as being evidence that he can't or that Kaep is the inevitable starter that all these moves are being made for. If we didn't have Kaep, or Smith for that matter, we'd still need to get "vertical guys, guys who can really run". I see these moves as being football, Niner moves and trust that if Smith proves better Harbaugh will stick with him. He'll also pull the rug if he falters.

Sando: Smith did go 13-3 last season. He did make the winning plays against New Orleans in the wild-card round. Is the trajectory pointing up on him?

Williamson: Smith minimized the negative plays and will never be any better than he was doing that. He may get more confident, may make a few more throws, but what we saw in that one playoff game will be few and far between. He is an OK player, but has a real low ceiling.

Didn't feel he needed to add the "real" there. It's like when people add the "very" to Alex's good season. Don't agree that we know his ceiling until the end of this year, but I can't say that it's high. We'll have continuity in a good system with great coaches, high confidence, positive pressure, etc. Smith knows what he needs to do and he'll push for it. Whether he succeeds or fails is up to him and nobody else - not the oline, not the coaches, and not the receivers. None of us know how he'll do - not me, not him, not you, and not the scouts. (They're paid to make statements, so again, I don't blame them and recognize they could be right. No one would pay anyone to say, "I don't know.")

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williamson: I am a Bradford guy who had no problem with their decision not to take Robert Griffin III. The Rams have had as good an offseason as anyone. The more I look at last season -- mix in Bradford's injuries, the bad line, having no weapons -- it was an impossible endeaver. Throw that away. Jeff Fisher is smart and has a history of bringing along guys slowly, of running Eddie George and playing defense. Schottenheimer did a ton of that with the Jets, maybe even too much, but he had to.

For a few years, they could say this of Smith, but only saw it said by "homers." And no one said, "throw that away, they've got Harbaugh and Baalke now." Last year, they used our relatively few established targets well and we added more. Now that we have a full offseason and more target, we can officially throw all the garbage excuses and see what Smith can do. We saw what he could do in last year's context and roster and we'll see what e can do with 2012 context and roster. From there, I only see it getting better with Smith or Kaep. Key word: Smith (because it seems Kaep being a success is a foregone conclusion by most here.)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things I've been saying for a while.

consistency is smith's major problem. a 2nd year in the system should help and if he doesn't take the steps that i think he will, guess what?

we cut his ass

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
consistency is smith's major problem. a 2nd year in the system should help and if he doesn't take the steps that i think he will, guess what?

we cut his ass

Consistency is every mediocre and sub-par QB's problem. Even guys like JaMarcus Russell and David Carr had some good games and threw pretty deep passes. They just couldn't do it consistently enough to be starters in the league.

And no, I'm not saying Alex is on those guys' level.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consistency is every mediocre and sub-par QB's problem. Even guys like JaMarcus Russell and David Carr had some good games and threw pretty deep passes. They just couldn't do it consistently enough to be starters in the league.

And no, I'm not saying Alex is on those guys' level.

well smith did lead 7 comebacks including one against some dude named brees. gotta give credit where credit is due.

one comment i seen on an espn article said, can we hypnotize smith into thinking we're always down by 14 points? smith would prolly win mvp if we could!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well smith did lead 7 comebacks including one against some dude named brees. gotta give credit where credit is due.

one comment i seen on an espn article said, can we hypnotize smith into thinking we're always down by 14 points? smith would prolly win mvp if we could!

So did Tebow. That doesn't mean he's a franchise QB.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Teams interested in Bradford?
8:28AM ET
Sam Bradford | Rams

The coaches' breakfasts on Tuesday and Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings have unleashed hell on Twitter feeds everywhere, with small tidbits of information coming in rapid-fire fashion. But occasionally, there's something that peaks our attention. Like this tweet, from Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

"Rams HC Jeff Fisher said teams inquired about trading for Sam Bradford. He wouldn't say if #Browns were one, but Shurmur loved him."

Shurmur, of course, is Browns HC Pat Shurmur, who was Bradford's OC during the Oklahoma product's successful rookie campaign. Before anyone gets too carried away, let's remember this quote from Fisher at the scouting combine regarding a possible trade of Bradford: "That wouldn't be an option."

So while it's fun to think about which teams may have called the Rams with interest in Bradford, the chances that he's playing for anyone but Fisher's team this fall are remote.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mailbag: No draft panic from this Rams fan
March, 27, 2012 10:43PM ET
By Mike Sando

Ed from Lake Arrowhead, Calif., thinks the St. Louis Rams have sufficient draft needs to stand pat at No. 6 and select a player that falls to them. He thinks there's no reason to panic if Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon is not available.

"There are two first-rounders to use for the next two years, and free agency might be kinder to the Rams next season," Ed writes. "This will take some time to get right."

2012 Rams Draft Choices
Round Overall
First 6
Second 33
Second 39
Third 65
Fourth 96
Sixth 171
Seventh 209
Seventh 252

Mike Sando: Offensive players currently on the Rams' roster combined for 10 touchdowns last season. Marshawn Lynch (13) and Beanie Wells (10) had at least that many for division rivals. Finding players to score touchdowns has to be the Rams' top priority as they help Sam Bradford and, of course, win games.

Quite a few projections suggest that Blackmon and Alabama running back Trent Richardson will not last past the fifth pick. In that case, we're seeing LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne listed as a logical Rams choice based more on value than need.

Adding Claiborne would not help Bradford directly. But the draft does go beyond the sixth overall pick. The Rams also hold the 33rd and 39th choices. They could use those second-round choices to trade up into the first round for a shot at a wide receiver. They could even trade one of the second-rounders for a 2013 first, giving them three next year.

Teams have drafted eight receivers from 30th through 42nd since 2008, a range that approximates where the Rams are scheduled to pick. The eight: Arrelious Benn, Kenny Britt, Brian Robiskie, Donnie Avery, Devin Thomas, Jordy Nelson, James Hardy and Eddie Royal.

Blackmon would not be a sure bet at No. 6, but the list of receivers drafted in that slot shows the potential value. James Lofton (1978), Tim Brown (1988) and Torry Holt (1999) were the last three receivers taken sixth until the Atlanta Falcons, led in part by new Rams general manager Les Snead, selected Julio Jones in that slot last year.

Charles from Atascadero, Calif., wants to know which pick the San Francisco 49ers received for safety Taylor Mays, who was traded during training camp last offseason.

Mike Sando: The 49ers will receive a 2013 seventh-round choice. That is why there was no additional pick for San Francisco when the 2012 draft order came out.

Jeff from Las Vegas thinks the Seattle Seahawks should have been ranked higher than 22nd in ESPN's NFL Power Rankings. He points to their defense, running game and an upgraded quarterback situation in suggesting the Seahawks can challenge the 49ers for the NFC West title and possibly earn a wild-card playoff berth.

Mike Sando: I ranked Seattle higher than 22nd, but the Seahawks have quite a bit to prove. Matt Flynn offers hope, but no guarantees. Can he produce over a full season? Is he durable? Will offensive linemen Russell Okung, John Moffitt and/or James Carpenter be healthy enough to contribute? What about Sidney Rice?

These are subjects we can discuss in greater detail Wednesday when following up the item soliciting opinions on which team is best positioned to overtake the 49ers.

I'm expecting to hear from Arizona Cardinals fans then as well, if not in the mailbag (been quiet on the Cardinals front recently, but I know you're out there).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What Cowboys-Giants means to NFC West
March, 27, 2012 4:38PM ET
By Mike Sando

The Dallas Cowboys visit the New York Giants to open the 2012 NFL regular season Sept. 5, a Wednesday.

This will be the first regular-season game of the upcoming season.

The NFL generally waits until closer to mid-April before announcing its full schedule. The defending Super Bowl champion has kicked off the schedule with a home game since 2002. The league usually announces the matchup from the NFL owners meetings, which are ongoing in West Palm Beach, Fla.

A few things to know in relation to the Cowboys-Giants announcement:

•The San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks are the only NFC West teams with games against the Giants or Cowboys this season.

•The Giants' home opponents beyond the Cowboys -- Philadelphia, Washington, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Cleveland and Pittsburgh -- will not have to face the defending champs in a road opener.

•The 49ers were not a consideration for the opening game. Their game against the Giants, a rematch of the NFC Championship, is scheduled for San Francisco. That ruled out the 49ers.

•The Seattle Seahawks are scheduled to play at home against the Cowboys this season. We now know the Cowboys-Seahawks game will not fall in Week 1. The Seahawks have opened their last three seasons against division opponents, including their last two against the 49ers, most recently in San Francisco.

We should have the full NFL schedule in the next couple weeks.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Which team positioned to challenge 49ers?
March, 27, 2012 12:56PM ET
By Mike Sando

The NFL Power Rankings published late last week treated NFC West teams the way they finished last season.

The San Francisco 49ers were well ahead of the pack. The Arizona Cardinals and Seattle Seahawks were some distance back and tied, with Arizona holding a tiebreaking edge. The St. Louis Rams trailed their NFC West rivals by a considerable margin.

Nothing that has happened since the 2011 season ended should lead to wholesale reevaluation of where these teams stand. I do think Matt Flynn's addition makes the Seahawks different at quarterback, and quite possibly better. That is why Seattle ranked just ahead of Arizona when I cast my ballot for the power rankings (see chart).

I'm interested in your thoughts on which team is best positioned to overtake the 49ers in the division. I'll draw from the comments for a piece I'll put together for Wednesday.

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc., who shared thoughts on NFC West quarterback situations Monday, took this view of the teams in general:

"I give San Francisco all the credit in the world for getting involved in Peyton Manning. They brought back the NFL's best defense. Worst-case scenario, you miss on Manning and bring back the same team.

"Seattle, the arrow is going up heavy on this team. The Seahawks could be a wild-card team or if San Francisco stumbles, they could overtake them.

"I don't feel the same about he Cardinals. I like how their defense came on last year, but this offseason wasn't friendly to them. Their offensive line is no better, the passing game has only one guy. I cannot get behind the offense and am not sure the defense will be as good.

"In St. Louis, Fisher has job security. I love how they're set up. Let's see where they are at in a year or two."

That should get us going. Who's going to lead off the discussion? And, yes, I realize the offseason remains ongoing, to be shaped further by the draft and free agency.

Note: The chart shows how colleagues John Clayton, Paul Kuharsky, James Walker, Ashley Fox and I voted for NFC West teams.

2012 NFL Power Rankings: March Outlook
Rank Team Sando Clayton Kuharsky Walker Fox
4 49ers 4 4 4 5 4
21 Cardinals 19 23 17 27 17
22 Seahawks 17 21 25 20 20
29 Rams 31 31 28 30 29

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Around the NFC West: Catching up to 49ers
March, 27, 2012 9:40AM ET
By Mike Sando

Changing coaching staffs heading into a lockout was supposed to set back the San Francisco 49ers last season.

Instead, the team won nine of its first 10 games, finished 13-3 and came within an overtime defeat of reaching the Super Bowl.

Having a full offseason should help the 49ers prepare even better for 2012, but opponents should also have a better idea what to expect from coach Jim Harbaugh and staff.

We might have seen this taking place as the 2011 season progressed. The 49ers' division opponents fared considerably better in rematches against the 49ers than when facing them for the first time. But with all three rematches played away from Candlestick Park, venue also came into play as a key factor. The New York Giants were the only other team to face San Francisco twice last season, losing the first meeting before winning the second one. Both were close games at Candlestick.

This will be a storyline to monitor for the upcoming season.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com expects general improvement from the 49ers on offense, except at running back, where he expects a "slight dip, based on another year of wear and tear on Frank Gore, who turns 29 in May and has been the team's every-down back for six seasons."

Also from Maiocco: setting expectations for the 49ers on defense. Maiocco on the cornerback situation: "Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown are back as the starters, with Chris Culliver and Tramaine Brock as the backups. It's difficult to believe that Rogers, as an eighth-year player, can be much better than he was a year ago. But Brown, Culliver and Brock should improve with a full offseason of work."

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that the 49ers have 20 starters under contract beyond the 2012 season. Branch: "NaVorro Bowman will be a free agent after the 2013 season. I’m guessing the 49ers, as they did with Patrick Willis and Vernon Davis, will attempt to work out a long-term deal with Bowman before he hits free agency. Bowman will earn base salaries of $540,000 and $570,000 in 2012 and 2013, respectively."

Nick Eaton of seattlepi.com says Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch has a role in an upcoming movie featuring Lee Majors, Gary Busey, Margot Kidder and Edward Furlong. Eaton: "Lynch will be playing 'mob security guard' -- officially credited as a 'goon' -- in a film called 'Matt’s Chance' from local production house Mirror Images. Lynch will be in Seattle this week for a three-day shoot at the iMusic club in Lower Queen Anne, said Nate Riley, producer and marketing director for Mirror Images."

Eric D. Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune had this to say during a recent chat: "I believe Pete Carroll when he says there will be open competition, but I think it will be structured in such a way that Matt Flynn has the upper hand, both in practice and in games. They will do their best to make sure that Flynn looks good. You can't pay him $8 million in guaranteed salary this season and let him hold a clipboard. That makes no sense. They have two years to figure out if he's the franchise quarterback of the future, and the only way that happens is to see how he plays on the field."

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic says the Cardinals have met expectations for a mostly quiet offseason. Coach Ken Whisenhunt, speaking right after the season: "You don't anticipate a lot of changes. We have a lot of young players and you're going to be together."

Brian McIntyre of Mac's Football Blog spells out details of Daryn Colledge's contract restructuring. The team converted base salary to signing bonus, pushing some of the cap charge into future years.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated shares contents from a letter NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent to St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams regarding reinstatement from a bounty-related suspension that will last at least one season. King: "Sounds like if Williams makes some come-clean speeches to high school and college football teams around the country at the NFL's behest, he'll be back in the game in 2013 -- assuming the Rams will still employ him. That's likely, but not certain."

Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch asks whether Williams can effectively transition away from what has been his identity in the NFL. Miklasz: "Williams has built his career on cultivating an aggressive, attacking and violent mindset within his defense. ... Having been domesticated and deprogrammed, will Williams be able to motivate players the same as he did before? Can a formerly hard-edged coach still get the same results if he dramatically softens those edges? Legit questions." Noted: Williams has never done contrition well. This transition would seem to be problematic.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch provides the latest on Rams owner Stan Kroenke's attempt to purchase the Los Angeles Dodgers. Thomas: "Owning the Los Angeles Dodgers and the St. Louis Rams would violate cross-ownership rules. But if Kroenke should move the Rams to LA, he would be in compliance with cross-ownership rules because the Dodgers and the Rams would be in the same market. And this, obviously makes Rams fans even more antsy about the future of the team in St. Louis given the current stadium lease situation at the Edward Jones Dome."