• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bradford has nice preseason debut: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford got his preseason off to a nice start on Sunday in the opener in Indianapolis. Matching up against rookie QB Andrew Luck, Bradford only missed on two passes during his short time in the game. Bradford finished 7 for 9 for 57 yards without a touchdown or interception. He had a quarterback rating of 93.1 on the afternoon before being replaced by Kellen Clemens.
(Updated 08/12/2012)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Q: Adam, how good do you think the Seattle Seahawks' defense can be this season? I think they have the potential to be one of the elite defenses in the NFL and rival San Francisco's. Do you?

-- Liam (Texas)​

A: San Francisco's defense is pretty good, Liam. I like Seattle's defense -- but not as much. The Seahawks have a core of young standout players that few people know. It's one underrated player after another -- left end Red Bryant, right end Chris Clemons and the best young and unknown secondary in the league (cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner and safeties Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor). The Seahawks might just have the most underrated defense in the league. But at this time, it's not as good as San Francisco's.

--Adam Schefter​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
T.O. or Braylon?
1:17PM ET
Terrell Owens | Seahawks

After cutting ties with Mike Williams this offseason, the Seattle Seahawks signed not one but two veteran WRs in an attempt to fill that void in the WR corps. The club is locked in to having Sidney Rice and Golden Tate on the field, but Braylon Edwards and Terrell Owens are looking to carve out a niche for Pete Carroll's club. In the opinion of Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times, only one of the two vets is expected to make the final 53-man roster:

"They're playing different positions with Owens at flanker, Edwards at split end, and both have looked good in practice. But the reality is that if what started as a search for a big, physical wide receiver to fill the role Mike Williams ends up landing two veterans, it puts a crimp on special-teams personnel. Neither Owens nor Edwards will play special teams. Nor will Sidney Rice, and are you really going to ask Golden Tate -- who very well might start at split end -- to play on coverage units? Probably not."

Edwards led all Seahawks WRs in Saturday's preseason opener with 51 yards on two receptions (including a TD), while Owens did not suit up. Early advantage: Braylon.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Latest on Skelton vs. Kolb
12:59PM ET
John Skelton | Cardinals

The tagline for "Alien vs. Predator" was "Whoever wins... we lose." Can the same be said for the Arizona Cardinals' chances this season based on the two combatants for the title of starting QB?

"The situation is unsettled for the worst possible reason: Neither player has distinguished himself," Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic writes of Kevin Kolb and John Skelton. "An entire off-season and three weeks of practice have passed, yet no order has been brought to the position."

Amongst the issues for both QBs, per Somers, is the inability to hit open receivers, a problem that has carried over from 2011; Cardinals HC Ken Whisenhunt specifically alluded to that issue after the team's second preseason contest. So while Whisenhunt is not letting us in on who he believes is ahead in the contest, this accuracy issue could be the fulcrum upon which the competition rotates in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando believes the improving health of other players on the offensive side of the ball could help both Kolb and Skelton in their quest for glory:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
Helps to have a strong ground attack

"Running backs Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams are practicing and should begin contributing in games before much longer. Both could make their 2012 preseason debuts this week if they make it through practices without any setbacks. Tight end Jeff King, a reliable contributor on early downs last season, has been activated from the physically unable to perform list, the team announced. King became an immediate and somewhat surprisingly productive target for Kevin Kolb in particular last season. Getting the running backs into the offensive flow figures to make the biggest impact for Kolb and John Skelton. LaRod Stephens-Howling broke free for a 15-yard run early in the opener, but the Cardinals netted three yards on their first four carries against Kansas City. That included one carry for negative yardage on third-and-1."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Latest buzz on Owens
10:17AM ET
Terrell Owens | Seahawks

Though some had significant reservations about the Seattle Seahawks signing WR Terrell Owens, it's been so far, so good for him as a member of Pete Carroll's team.

"No. 10 had another productive day catching the football," Bill Swarz of 710 ESPN Radio wrote regarding Thursday's session. "Late in the 11-on-11 drills, T.O. out-jumped Marcus Trufant and Jeron Johnson, tipped the ball to himself and tip-toed the boundary for a touchdown."

The usual disclaimers about preseason practice efforts apply here, and there's the fact that Owens did not dress for the preseason opener against the Titans. Nevertheless, given the amount of time Owens spent out of the NFL -- and given his recent history of knee problems -- it's quite encouraging that he was able to make such an acrobatic play in one of this first days back on the field. If this continues, the Seahawks will have gotten quite a bargain.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
St. Louis' WR picture
11:20AM ET
St. Louis Rams

Earlier this week, we learned that the St. Louis Rams may trot out rookie WR Brian Quick as one of their starters. While this is a reflection of his talent, it's also an indication that the team is somewhat lacking in the pass-catcher department, despite all of their investment on a QB and an offensive line to protect him. Danny Amendola -- who bounced around a couple practice squads before landing in St. Louis for good -- is probably going to be Sam Bradford's top target, but he is clearly not a player that will have opposing DCs shaking in their boots. For his part, Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer doesn't believe that having a dominant No. 1 WR is necessary for success in the NFL.

"I've been other places where you have a so-called No. 1 receiver and it's easy to double that guy," Schottenheimer said, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "We're looking for a bunch of weapons. They're hard to find. We put 'em in different spots all over the field. That way, we can take advantage of matchups."

Then again, as ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando argues, the Rams would more likely than not prefer having aCalvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald type in their WR corps:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
I'm not buying this one

"Having a dominant receiver could only help the Rams or any team, all else being equal. Attracting double coverage would leave fewer defenders to cover the remaining receivers."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how long Kolb can maintain his "0" passer rating. I'm sure at some point he'll muck it up with a TD or something. I wonder what the lowest passer rating anyone has ever had in 5 games (albeit only 9 passes in two games so far). Vinny Testaverde's 1988 season was awful (48.8 passer rating, 13/35 TD/INT ration, 47.6% completion percentage, under 7 YPA).

Oh, and how can Weisenhunt give the two QBs only 21 passes total for two games and expect to get real improvement or data? (Four sacks could have been pass plays, but 25 isn't a lot either.) I mean, I know that if you're good, you're good. But if you're not good, how can you expect to see anything on 21 throws split into two games by two players? This is based on a two man race for the starting job, not based on our four man rotation with the starter set. I suppose someone could always get injured.

IMO, KW should have done what Seattle did and give Kolb the first half and Skelton the second. When Kolb went down, give Skelton the rest of the half and the first two drives of the third. Unless of course KW has a starter in mind. Or if Lindley is a viable option.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T.O. or Braylon?
1:17PM ET
Terrell Owens | Seahawks

After cutting ties with Mike Williams this offseason, the Seattle Seahawks signed not one but two veteran WRs in an attempt to fill that void in the WR corps. The club is locked in to having Sidney Rice and Golden Tate on the field, but Braylon Edwards and Terrell Owens are looking to carve out a niche for Pete Carroll's club. In the opinion of Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times, only one of the two vets is expected to make the final 53-man roster:

"They're playing different positions with Owens at flanker, Edwards at split end, and both have looked good in practice. But the reality is that if what started as a search for a big, physical wide receiver to fill the role Mike Williams ends up landing two veterans, it puts a crimp on special-teams personnel. Neither Owens nor Edwards will play special teams. Nor will Sidney Rice, and are you really going to ask Golden Tate -- who very well might start at split end -- to play on coverage units? Probably not."

Edwards led all Seahawks WRs in Saturday's preseason opener with 51 yards on two receptions (including a TD), while Owens did not suit up. Early advantage: Braylon.

- Tim Kavanagh​

I'm surprised he didn't even mention Baldwin, who is probably the Seahawks best WR.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Seahawks' QB derby
4:26PM ET
Seattle Seahawks

Email UPDATE: Well, so much for that idea. Seahawks HC Pete Carroll has informed the galaxy -- by way of the media, including Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times -- that Flynn will start Saturday's game, with Wilson taking over for the second half. "This is where they sit right now," Carroll revealed.

ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando liked what he saw from both Flynn and Wilson based on the first preseason contest (see below), so there's no ruling out either of them just yet.

---

The Seattle Seahawks' three-man QB competition continues as we throttle ahead to the second game of the preseason, and Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com has an interesting idea for Saturday's contest against the Denver Broncos: Start rookie Russell Wilson, and see what he can do against another club's first-team defense.

"While he did complete 12 of 16 passes for 124 yards, including a 39-yard TD pass to Braylon Edwards; and run for another 59 yards, with 32 coming on his scoring play; it was against the Titans' second- and third-defensive units.

"So why not see how the rookie from Wisconsin fares against the Denver defense that features the pass-rush tandem of Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil and a secondary that features 11-time Pro Bowl selection Champ Bailey?"

It's not a terrible idea, especially if the competition between Wilson, Matt Flynn and (in theory) Tarvaris Jackson is as open as HC Pete Carroll claims it to be. We'll see if the coaching staff takes a suggestion from the main reporter covering the team for its official website.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
The early signs on Flynn and Wilson have been encouraging

"Flynn was generally efficient working with the first-team offense against the Titans. He got rid of the ball quickly most of the time and appeared comfortable. Wilson played with greater flair, dazzling with a 32-yard touchdown run. He moved with purpose, threw with velocity and also appeared comfortable."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was good from the bad for Bradford
NFC West Blog
Mike Sando

One of the most painful games for Sam Bradford and the 2011 St. Louis Rams produced some good, after all.

Safety Atari Bigby hammered Bradford, forcing a penalty for intentional grounding when the quarterback tried to unload the football at the last moment.

What good could come from that Monday night defeat in Seattle?

"Sam definitely showed me something that night," Pro Bowl running back Steven Jackson said from Rams camp recently.

Bradford was hardly able to move, and the Rams' season had long since lost meaning. Sitting out would have been a smart move from a purely practical standpoint. Bradford's decision to play anyway made a statement that resonated with Jackson, the Rams' undisputed leader.

"At that point, I knew that regardless of the situation, he wanted to lead the team," Jackson said.

Bradford is coming off a rough second season. It's fair to question how he'll handle adjusting to a third offensive system in as many years, or if he'll develop as once expected from a skills standpoint.

The Rams don't have to worry about Bradford's leadership credentials. A stamp of approval from Jackson stands as the highest honor in St. Louis' locker room.

When Alex had his shoulder injury in 2007 and still played, this should have been the narrative. Instead Nolan kept telling the lockerroom that Alex was fine because he cleared minimal requirements from the doctor. But it's all water under the bridge, I'm sure the players knew then or know now the toughness it took to play through that. Alex lacks some things, hard work and desire to play is not one of them.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still Matt Flynn's job to lose in Seattle
NFC West Blog
Mike Sando

Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll divided practice reps evenly when Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson opened camp in a three-man quarterback competition.

Subsequent evidence suggests the team is positioning Flynn to win the starting job.

Flynn, who started the exhibition opener against Tennessee on Saturday night, will remain the starter when the team visits Denver this weekend, Carroll told reporters Tuesday. Wilson, who played the second half against the Titans, will play the same role against the Broncos.

"This is where they sit right now," Carroll said.

I had wondered whether Wilson might get a chance to work with the starters in this second exhibition game. That approach seemingly would have made sense strictly on the merits, given that Wilson has performed well to this point. He has arguably earned a chance with the starters. But there's big-picture logic in giving Flynn the best chance to win the starting job heading into the regular season. Wilson, as a rookie, has time on his side.

Carroll hasn't ruled out Jackson as the starter, but it's tough to win a job without playing. Jackson will need Flynn or Wilson to lose the job for a realistic shot at remaining in this race, it appears.

The early signs on Flynn and Wilson have been encouraging. Flynn was generally efficient working with the first-team offense against the Titans. He got rid of the ball quickly most of the time and appeared comfortable. Wilson played with greater flair, dazzling with a 32-yard touchdown run. He moved with purpose, threw with velocity and also appeared comfortable.

I'd hate it if I were Jackson (other than being paid and telling women I'm in the NFL). I don't feel bad that he didn't prove it last year and that he didn't prove it in mini-camps/training camp. But I would see if he was mad that he didn't get to prove it in at least the first preseason game. I know he can't get the third preseason without showing something, but the first would have been something. At least fourth quarter.

But I understand Seattle's logic, assuming they would be happy if Flynn wins it or a young Wilson. No sense in wasting valuable time on TJ. I, in fact, think that's what Arizona should do unless Lindley or Bartel actually have a chance to win the starting job.