• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wilson has No. 1 job in sight
9:02AM ET
Russell Wilson | Seahawks

The quarterback controversy in Seattle is in full swing, with a surprise switch at the starting position for this week's preseason game. Russell Wilson will get the start instead of Matt Flynn. Typically, the third preseason game is the one where teams do a practice run for their Week 1 starters, so making a switch under center now is a huge sign that Pete Carroll may be leaning Wilson's way for the regular season top spot.

So far, Wilson has been far more impressive than Flynn, outpassing him 279 yards to 102, throwing for three touchdowns and rushing for one while Flynn has not yet found the end zone. Still, he's done all of this damage against second-string defenses. If he can continue to outshine Flynn while battling the first-stringers and Flynn shows no improvement against the backups, Carroll's decision will be an easy one.

- AJ Mass​

Chris Mortensen
Russell Wilson to start Friday

"While Flynn has been steady, Wilson has provided the Seahawks with more dynamic plays between the two quarterbacks, albeit against opposing team's second-string defenders. But a team source also noted that Wilson has played with second-teamers, for the most part, and has produced several big plays despite shoddy pass protection. He also has converted 54 percent of third-down possessions, a source noted."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, make a wrong decision on a BIG free agent, and it sets you back a few years. but when you don't have a very good QB.........

Yeah, when they didn't have a very good QB, they had to go to a big free agent since they didn't draft one and wasn't guaranteed to have a shot at one. I don't know how bad they are at drafting but even that takes a long time. If our QB pans out, Nolan would feel the QB he picked didn't ripen in time. So Nolan would have wanted to get that big free agent because his pick wouldn't get better before he left. (Note: this is with Nolan not knowing how bad he was with QBs.)

I understand the urgency. I don't know why, other than they could have cut him anytime, to sign him immediately upon trading for him, for so much. Giving up a lot of draft picks showed the lockerroom they believed in him. I know they needed to sign him so that it wasn't a bunch of draft picks for one year rental. Kolb had the leverage and the potential. I wonder how this changes things for future big free agents or whether it'll be the same. You'll always have the unknown and players with leverage when dealing with big trades.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, when they didn't have a very good QB, they had to go to a big free agent since they didn't draft one and wasn't guaranteed to have a shot at one. I don't know how bad they are at drafting but even that takes a long time. If our QB pans out, Nolan would feel the QB he picked didn't ripen in time. So Nolan would have wanted to get that big free agent because his pick wouldn't get better before he left. (Note: this is with Nolan not knowing how bad he was with QBs.)

I understand the urgency. I don't know why, other than they could have cut him anytime, to sign him immediately upon trading for him, for so much. Giving up a lot of draft picks showed the lockerroom they believed in him. I know they needed to sign him so that it wasn't a bunch of draft picks for one year rental. Kolb had the leverage and the potential. I wonder how this changes things for future big free agents or whether it'll be the same. You'll always have the unknown and players with leverage when dealing with big trades.

its hard to draft a solid QB prospect, you need to be drafting very high.

for free agency.........as long as the NFL is a QB driven league, this problem will continue for the have nots. these teams know they're extending/reaching for a free agent QB, but when you don't have one..........

to reduce this problem, you need to improve your talent evaluation. else get really lucky.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Braylon in, T.O. out?
4:53PM ET
Braylon Edwards | Seahawks

During this preseason, the Seattle Seahawks have been looking for answers at the WR position, and have brought in Braylon Edwards, Antonio Bryant and Terrell Owens as potential additions to their corps of promising youngsters. Bryant has already been cut, and there is some talk that either Edwards or Owens will make the team, but not both (and maybe neither). The reports on Edwards have been a bit more promising in terms of landing a permanent gig with Pete Carroll's club, and that continued in advance of the team's third preseason contest in the words of Eric D. Williams of the News Tribune.

Williams separated the players involved in training camp battles into two groups: "Helping themselves," and "Still work to do." Edwards made the former category, while Owens was in the latter.

"Every day during practice Edwards makes at least one eye-opening play," Williams beams. "Right now, Edwards is the most consistent of the big receivers who can make explosive plays down the field. I find it hard to believe he will not be on Seattle's roster when the season begins."

"He has a lot to overcome," Williams acknowledges regarding Owens. "And the fact that he finished without a catch and a bad drop against Denver is just scratching the surface. He still appears to be the same T.O. who complains when things are not going his way. And Pete Carroll will not put up with that from a fifth or six receiver -- see T.J. Houshmandzadeh."

Seems that there will have to be a significant reversal of trends within the next several days in order for Owens to make the team -- and for Braylon to miss the cut.

- Tim Kavanagh​

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched the game, but given that I assume the Cardinals want to start Kolb, I think today's 9-12, 95 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT game will be enough for them to exaggerate to the point of justification for starting Kolb. Don't know though, or course.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I haven't watched the game, but given that I assume the Cardinals want to start Kolb, I think today's 9-12, 95 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT game will be enough for them to exaggerate to the point of justification for starting Kolb. Don't know though, or course.

Ha......I was just coming on here to say how bad he looked tonight. Granted he did put it together a bit toward the end, but a huge chunk of his numbers came off a broken play where Fitz was open by 30 yards and Kolb underthrew him by 20. The INT was really bad and he generally looked rough. Cardinals look like they could even be worse than the Rams.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spoke too soon, I didn't know how much in the second half he'd play. it will probably still be up in the air for awhile due to his second pick. 17-22 is a great percentage (but I don't know the distances of the throws), 7.1 ypa is average, 156 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs. If Skelton didn't have the INT, it would be closer. I would call this one for Kolb, but don't think it's conclusive for the competition.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha......I was just coming on here to say how bad he looked tonight. Granted he did put it together a bit toward the end, but a huge chunk of his numbers came off a broken play where Fitz was open by 30 yards and Kolb underthrew him by 20. The INT was really bad and he generally looked rough. Cardinals look like they could even be worse than the Rams.

Well, you saw the game, so I defer to you. Bad game, it's a shame for Skelton that Skelton didn't have a great game.

Made the above comment the same time as you you made yours. I made my first comment at the half, having not seen any of it, and before the pick six. Box scores are bad to watch. I thought he might play but not much. I thought it was unfair that Skelton got fewer reps than Kolb, but what do I care? I know they wanted Kolb in with the 1's.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three things revisited: Cardinals-Titans - NFC West Blog - ESPN

1. Skelton's rhythm. Horrible pass protection from the starting offensive line, notably left tackle D.J. Young, made it tough for John Skelton to find a rhythm early. Skelton did show an ability to throw on rhythm when given time, including when he found tight end Jeff King over the middle. But he also overthrew his target for an interception on the Cardinals' second play. Skelton faced too many third-and-long situations thanks to sacks, a poor running game and a holding penalty. Rookie receiver Michael Floyd dropped a slightly off-target pass on third-and-3 to kill another drive. Skelton completed 4 of 10 passes for 41 yards and the one pick. He did not make a strong case for the starting job.

Kevin Kolb took over and had no chance on his first possession. The pass protection was that bad. Arizona changed out its tackles from that point forward. Kolb responded by showing immediate improvement. He did a good job staying in the pocket initially. That had been a problem for him. Bad habits die hard, however, and Kolb hurt his cause by rolling right and throwing back toward the middle of the field for an interception.

Kolb didn't let the mistake rattle him, however -- he played freely after the pick. Going to a two-minute offense probably helped. Kolb went out and played without thinking so much, it appeared. Kolb bailed from the pocket a couple times, but he made it work -- especially when finding Larry Fitzgerald with an across-the-body deep ball while rolling left. That play gained 53 yards. Kolb capped the drive with a touchdown pass to Andre Roberts. He completed 9 of 12 passes for 95 yards in the first half.

Was that drive to end the half enough to boost Kolb into the lead in his race against Skelton? It had to help, but ...

Kolb opened the second half with the starters and promptly threw a pick for a Tennessee touchdown. Arizona gave Kolb another chance, continuing with the no-huddle attack. The approach seemed to keep the Titans' pass rush in check, but this was also a case of Arizona starters working against Titans backups. Kolb's pass to Todd Heap converted a fourth-and-1, but the drive ended after officials incorrectly administered offsetting penalties instead of penalizing only Tennessee for having 12 defenders on the field.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rams also traded Josh Gordy to the Colts for an undisclosed draft pick.