• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next Head Coach Thread:

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously easier for us to find a good DC..just look how hard it was for a supposed offensive guy like Harbaugh to find us a good DC. Looks like we have 3 guys now in house who most feel OK with. Fangio,Tomasula, Donnatelli...and many more from other teams just waiting in line. Only reason we are even looking for a DC for HC is to keep continuity at something we are good at. Looks le DCs are a dime a dozen and easier to find. Offense is harder to run and harder to build...just so much more complex..that's why great/ good QBS make all the money...harder to find and harder to develope.

Fangio isn't a good DC, he's either the best out there or 1B. Harbaugh and Roman were supposed great on offense and our offense was never the threat our defense was the entire Harbaugh era. We had a very good running game, but our running game was strong before Harbaugh showed up.

We've seen this season and the playoffs that if your defense melts down it doesn't matter if you have Peyton Manning or a great offense (Cowboys). With Seattle in our division if our defense can't keep games close we will be second or worst place the entire Pete Carrol era.

It's been said in numerous articles that Fangio would bring Kyle Shanahan as his OC. The unspoken implication that Kyle takes over for Fangio when Fangio retires or gets fired.

Offense is harder to build, but is no more complex than a defense. QB's get paid the most because of the throws they have to make, but as we see every year an arm and athletic ability doesn't mean anything in the long run. The mental side and being able to read the complex defenses are more important. Especially in an era where the rules favor the offense more than ever. The multitude of 3,000 yard QB's and 4,000 yard QB's prove that. Based on stats people would think Matt Stafford might be on par or better than Joe Montana, but even the most ardent 49er hater would bust out laughing at that.

If Fangio would stay on board with Mike Shanhan as HC, then I say lets sign the deal, but if that's a deal breaker for Fangio then I say to hell with Mike. Never mind that every 49er defender is going to compare their new DC to Fangio. God help that guy if the defense struggles and he wasn't part of the old staff.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fangio isn't a good DC, he's either the best out there or 1B. Harbaugh and Roman were supposed great on offense and our offense was never the threat our defense was the entire Harbaugh era. We had a very good running game, but our running game was strong before Harbaugh showed up.

We've seen this season and the playoffs that if your defense melts down it doesn't matter if you have Peyton Manning or a great offense (Cowboys). With Seattle in our division if our defense can't keep games close we will be second or worst place the entire Pete Carrol era.

It's been said in numerous articles that Fangio would bring Kyle Shanahan as his OC. The unspoken implication that Kyle takes over for Fangio when Fangio retires or gets fired. Offense is harder to build, but is no more complex than a defense. QB's get paid the most because of the throws they have to make, but as we see every year an arm and athletic ability doesn't mean anything in the long run. The mental side and being able to read the complex defenses are more important. Especially in an era where the rules favor the offense more than ever. The multitude of 3,000 yard QB's and 4,000 yard QB's prove that. Based on stats people would think Matt Stafford might be on par or better than Joe Montana, but even the most ardent 49er hater would bust out laughing at that.

If Fangio would stay on board with Mike Shanhan as HC, then I say lets sign the deal, but if that's a deal breaker for Fangio then I say to hell with Mike. Never mind that every 49er defender is going to compare their new DC to Fangio. God help that guy if the defense struggles and he wasn't part of the old staff.

First off,while you claim Fangio is either the best or 1b the fact is we did not have the best or 1b defense this year or last year or the year before that. We had a damn good Defense but not the best. We are not quite as good as Seattle...not quite as good as the Ravens and not quite as good as the Giants the years we lost to them. We do not show up for 4 qtrs of play..we do not finish period...and that goes for the defense as well. In the SB, we did. Not show up to play in the whole 1 st half and if the lights didn't go out changing the momentum it would probably been a total blow out. Kap had some fine moments in the 2nd half but alas was 1 play away from getting it done but the Defense gave up way too many points almost making a rout of it...and that was a Fangio Defense at that. Last year,I thought we would win after the 1 st half and really felt good the the defense didn't show upto play in the 2nd half with 5/6 Seattle drives went for scores and Kap came up short once again going to Crabs in the clutch. This year defense was key to keeping us close in every game except Denver....good for Fangio given the circumstances of the injury list but at times they did give up plays as all defenses do and it was not enough. Right now we need continuity and Fangio should stay but I believe it will be easier to keep up the defense than train Kap with just Shanny Jr. As OC which is not a done deal in any way since no announcements have been made. The proposition is to have Shanny Sr+ Shanny Jr. To teach the offense to become a real WCO + the best avail. DC to hold that side together as best as possible. Remember if Fangio is HC he is no longer the DC so in either case Fangio is not the new DC. Secondly, there always was a question whether Harbs and Roman style of offense was ready for the pro level or was it just a good college scheme. Well we see that there is a lot to be desired of both Romans faux WCO and it not ready for prime time in the NFL status. Why other teams want to hire Roman is beyond me..probably looking at the overall record which is still good in terms of W/L but stat wise is suffering otherwise. Hence, my statement give Fangio a raise to give credit where it is due...he is a good DC..but we absolutely need an Experienced Offensive mind trust right now or Kap regresses...changingQB right now will set us back a decade so that is not an option. The need to develop Kap is tantamount right now. The defense will weather this change as a DC can be found from our own ranks alone...remember if Fangio is HC either Tomusula or Donnatelli goes to DC.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is what Jed should have done if I were CEO..tell Harbs to stay but the CEo was firing the OC Roman to go in a different direction. if Harbs didn't like it well too bad..If Harbs then left at least it was out an action of his accord. The excuse of not getting along just is so so weak..But if Harbs then stays find a new OC and all would be in p,ace with the DC staying since a HC spot would then not be available...just a new Oc like possibly Shanny Jr.. Not considering lateral moves by Kubiac, Gase, or the NE guy as the jobs they have as equivalent . Bot The real appeal of the Shanny package is the 2 for 1 deal with 2 coaches to work on Kap , the scheme, the real WCO, and still have e main pieces together. Shanny squared!,,, get it done already Jed..get it done!,

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what Jed should have done if I were CEO..tell Harbs to stay but the CEo was firing the OC Roman to go in a different direction. if Harbs didn't like it well too bad..If Harbs then left at least it was out an action of his accord. The excuse of not getting along just is so so weak..But if Harbs then stays find a new OC and all would be in p,ace with the DC staying since a HC spot would then not be available...just a new Oc like possibly Shanny Jr.. Not considering lateral moves by Kubiac, Gase, or the NE guy as the jobs they have as equivalent . Bot The real appeal of the Shanny package is the 2 for 1 deal with 2 coaches to work on Kap , the scheme, the real WCO, and still have e main pieces together. Shanny squared!,,, get it done already Jed..get it done!,

Shanahan is more power hungry than Harbs was. Not gonna work. and if it does, it will be for only a little while. I really wish we took a stance like Pitt does. Hire a freakin coach and stick with him for the long haul. Kap can't afford to be getting a new HC and OC every other year like A smith did.

I honestly don't know what direction they will go toward. my thinking is Fangio, but we'll see

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shanahan is more power hungry than Harbs was. Not gonna work. and if it does, it will be for only a little while. I really wish we took a stance like Pitt does. Hire a freakin coach and stick with him for the long haul. Kap can't afford to be getting a new HC and OC every other year like A smith did.

I honestly don't know what direction they will go toward. my thinking is Fangio, but we'll see

Agreed I absolutely hated the dismissal of Harbs By senior mgmt. namely Jed the junior and Trent the sneaky. As far as power hungry..all coaches seak power over player personnel and try to keep mgmt. out of player playing time decisions. Looks like the big hang up on Harba is he was for backing his players and not throwing them under the bus without due process. I actually believe due process is a right and the whole morality clause direction of theNFL is wrought with problems. The keep it classy is just so vague when dealing with NFL modern athletes. have to just deal with best as possible. Certainly don't let it get between coaches and player or coaches and senior mgmt. Classiness is just a cat hall that is impractical...nice phrase in theory but total BS in practice...much rather have someone have my back and be supportive in times of trouble and screwups. Yes, pro players do screw up but it's about managing those screwups that delineate coaches,managers,and owners...parents also.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to take a guess its Quinn or McDaniels. Fangio would of be named already. Hope we find out soon.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off,while you claim Fangio is either the best or 1b the fact is we did not have the best or 1b defense this year or last year or the year before that. We had a damn good Defense but not the best. We are not quite as good as Seattle...not quite as good as the Ravens and not quite as good as the Giants the years we lost to them. We do not show up for 4 qtrs of play..we do not finish period...and that goes for the defense as well. In the SB, we did. Not show up to play in the whole 1 st half and if the lights didn't go out changing the momentum it would probably been a total blow out. Kap had some fine moments in the 2nd half but alas was 1 play away from getting it done but the Defense gave up way too many points almost making a rout of it...and that was a Fangio Defense at that. Last year,I thought we would win after the 1 st half and really felt good the the defense didn't show upto play in the 2nd half with 5/6 Seattle drives went for scores and Kap came up short once again going to Crabs in the clutch. This year defense was key to keeping us close in every game except Denver....good for Fangio given the circumstances of the injury list but at times they did give up plays as all defenses do and it was not enough. Right now we need continuity and Fangio should stay but I believe it will be easier to keep up the defense than train Kap with just Shanny Jr. As OC which is not a done deal in any way since no announcements have been made. The proposition is to have Shanny Sr+ Shanny Jr. To teach the offense to become a real WCO + the best avail. DC to hold that side together as best as possible. Remember if Fangio is HC he is no longer the DC so in either case Fangio is not the new DC. Secondly, there always was a question whether Harbs and Roman style of offense was ready for the pro level or was it just a good college scheme. Well we see that there is a lot to be desired of both Romans faux WCO and it not ready for prime time in the NFL status. Why other teams want to hire Roman is beyond me..probably looking at the overall record which is still good in terms of W/L but stat wise is suffering otherwise. Hence, my statement give Fangio a raise to give credit where it is due...he is a good DC..but we absolutely need an Experienced Offensive mind trust right now or Kap regresses...changingQB right now will set us back a decade so that is not an option. The need to develop Kap is tantamount right now. The defense will weather this change as a DC can be found from our own ranks alone...remember if Fangio is HC either Tomusula or Donnatelli goes to DC.

With Fangio, what impresses me is that he has a great scheme and puts players in position to make plays. If our players don't make the plays how can we blame the coaches? It happens on O and D, but lets talk about the Superbowl loss. On the first Ravens TD, the defense holds on third down and would have forced Baltimore to go for a FG, instead Ahmad Brooks is undisciplined and goes offsides which gave the Ravens more chances to score TD's which they convert, Offense didn't come to play either in the first half and they had multiple turnovers. The deep ball burns against the D is because our safeties were looking to come up and lay the big hits instead of playing deep like they were supposed to. The issues with the O on the last series is what it is.

As for the Seattle NFC championship, the D gave the O a point blank chance to score a TD after Aldon forces the fumble and again the O can't convert. The O also had a few turnovers again. Aldon also lays an egg on the Jermain Kearse deep TD since he jumped offsides which allowed Russel Wilson to throw a deep ball into coverage. I argue that he never throws that ball if he hadn't seen Aldon allow the free play. The D also has huge plays on the goalline with first Bowman making an amazing play that got negated, but it didn't matter since the defense held anyway with the Lynch fumble. The D did it's part in keeping the game close in Seattle despite the loss of Bowman and the O turnovers.

As for Fangio not being DC if he's HC, it wouldn't matter since as HC the system would still be his in place and he could still be calling the plays as an offensive HC can still call offensive plays. It still wouldn't matter if he didn't just as Pete Carrol's system is why Seattle's D is so good despite losing Gus Bradley their DC to Jax. Let's be real, Seattle's a great team, but are not the #1 seed or the feared team they are without that defense of theirs.

You also say we're not as good as Ravens, Seattle, and the Giants (2011). For Giants no one even argues the fact that without the Kyle Williams fumbles gifting the Giants 10 points we win that game and the Superbowl. Bowman again made a huge play coming up with a fumble that is negated by the BS forward progress stopped, but whatever. The O sucked that day. I still think our D was better. I also still think our D is better than the Ravens. As for Seattle I believe our front 7 (when healthy) is better than Seattle's, but the secondary is hands down Seattle.

BOB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Vangio to leave now and I can't blame him. Getting pasted over for is DL coach is pathetic.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say hello to Mike Singletary 2.0!

5m5 minutes ago Some around the league continue to believe Jim Tomsula, despite no report of a formal interview, is the front-runner for the 49ers’ job.
I hope not really but the longer it takes for the 9ers to pick a HC the more we will see 'around the league' comments on who it might be. Buckle up!It could be quite the ride!

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I expect Vangio to leave now and I can't blame him. Getting pasted over for is DL coach is pathetic.

yes, Fangio will leave under this scenario no doubt. It'll hurt but having the right HC is more important than having the right DC. So IF Tomsula is really the guy for HC, secure him.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, Fangio will leave under this scenario no doubt. It'll hurt but having the right HC is more important than having the right DC. So IF Tomsula is really the guy for HC, secure him.

If he is the guy, hope he hires an OC who can help this pathetic offense. I would rather have the Niners hire someone who has an offensive background.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a question here. Do you think that Tomsula is the right choice for the 9ers as HC moving forward? I do not.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just a question here. Do you think that Tomsula is the right choice for the 9ers as HC moving forward? I do not.

Just re-directing your question... Why is he NOT the right choice?.. I am asking because I think it's the lack of known things about him that make people dismiss his qualifications...

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just re-directing your question... Why is he NOT the right choice?.. I am asking because I think it's the lack of known things about him that make people dismiss his qualifications...
I'm not dismissing him so much as I am looking toward this defense without Fangio on the team. Will Tomsula be able to find a DC that these players will embrace? Will he be able to keep some of the players who are waiting to see who might be the HC or walk? How long is this window of reloading to rebuilding if Tomsula is the HC?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not dismissing him so much as I am looking toward this defense without Fangio on the team. Will Tomsula be able to find a DC that these players will embrace? Will he be able to keep some of the players who are waiting to see who might be the HC or walk? How long is this window of reloading to rebuilding if Tomsula is the HC?

How come everyone is assuming that Fanggio will not be willing to work under Tomsula? Besides, the saqme question can be said to any other HC candidates even Fanggio...

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come everyone is assuming that Fanggio will not be willing to work under Tomsula? Besides, the saqme question can be said to any other HC candidates even Fanggio...
Fangio wants be a HC. If not with the 9ers he will move on. Not just my opinion there. If Fangio is willing to stay as the 9ers DC when another DC or other defensive mind gets the nod as HC for the 9ers I will be shocked.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangio wants be a HC. If not with the 9ers he will move on. Not just my opinion there. If Fangio is willing to stay as the 9ers DC when another DC or other defensive mind gets the nod as HC for the 9ers I will be shocked.

I read the same thing as if it came from Fangio itself. If I was Fangio I would feel slighted. I don't want Tomsula. A position coach with no NFL coordinator experience (NFL Europe doesn't count)