• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Newton's reply to SB Interview Exit

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll have to disagree on that one. To me what he said was basically "The people who don't like me are racist".

Just so I'm clear. You get that from this:

"I'm an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven't seen nothing that they can compare me to."

Or from something else he said?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so I'm clear. You get that from this:

"I'm an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven't seen nothing that they can compare me to."

Or from something else he said?

To me, if you're saying someone is afraid of a black quarterback you are calling that person a racist. Why would anyone be afraid of a black qb?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand Newton being upset with losing but come on you got to have more dignity than what he has shown.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, if you're saying someone is afraid of a black quarterback you are calling that person a racist. Why would anyone be afraid of a black qb?

You are certainly entitled to your perception. I just don't jump to the same thing. The notion that people are afraid of what they don't understand is a widely used notion (and it's accurate more often than not).

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are certainly entitled to your perception. I just don't jump to the same thing. The notion that people are afraid of what they don't understand is a widely used notion (and it's accurate more often than not).

The perception was far from mine alone. Loads of people have accused him of playing the race card in that instance. What is there not to understand about a black QB? The Broncos certainly weren't afraid.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The perception was far from mine alone. Loads of people have accused him of playing the race card in that instance. What is there not to understand about a black QB? The Broncos certainly weren't afraid.

It's about his behavior, cockiness, celebrations, etc. That's where it's a "black thing" that many non-blacks don't understand (my perception). What he said certainly has an air of cockiness to it (like if they don't get me...screw them), but I think it falls well short of accusing people of being racist.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flamboyant black QB.

my old man always called Ali, Clay....

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about his behavior, cockiness, celebrations, etc. That's where it's a "black thing" that many non-blacks don't understand (my perception). What he said certainly has an air of cockiness to it (like if they don't get me...screw them), but I think it falls well short of accusing people of being racist.

We'll have to disagree on that. I guess that's why these threads have more legs than the Manziel ones.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He just needs to shut the F up. Granted he earned it, but he is living the life. Making tons of money & having the world as his stage. OK - he lost the SB - great - get over it & yourself already. Lots of folks have bigger problems - you will live. Stop acting like you are such a victim.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flamboyant black QB.

Side note about Ali. The other night I was lucky enough to catch a documentary called "Facing Ali" that came out in 2009. It's a history of Ali but told by guys he fought (Holmes, Frazier, Spinks, Shavers, Lyle, Terrell and others). Absolutely great.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flamboyant black QB.

I think a lot of people don't like flamboyant QB's of any color. Lots of people didn't like Namath for that reason.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just needs to shut the F up. Granted he earned it, but he is living the life. Making tons of money & having the world as his stage. OK - he lost the SB - great - get over it & yourself already. Lots of folks have bigger problems - you will live. Stop acting like you are such a victim.

He definitely makes things harder on himself, but then again, he doesn't seem to really care (so I guess neither should I).

:suds:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam fire your agent! He obviously hasn't given you shit for advice!

You have gone from face of the NFL to entitled spoil athlete in the span of 3 days.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a few people did. I guess that's one of the things giving this thread legs

Agreed...Not sure about this thread specifically, but Cam has been a topic.

In all honesty...whatever criticism Cam has gotten through his SB experience...most of it he brought on himself...the dancing, antics, etc. was already there

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...Not sure about this thread specifically, but Cam has been a topic.

In all honesty...whatever criticism Cam has gotten through his SB experience...most of it he brought on himself...the dancing, antics, etc. was already there

I think he brought it all on himself. If you're going to dress up like superman, emboss MVP on your shoes and then not jump on a fumble and then walk out of the presser like a petulant child you're going to get killed. I don't expect him to be happy during the interviews but man up and do your job.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're not...that's been my point here.

This is my take...he was trying to say he's a black QB walking to the beat of his own drummer and some people don't like it or are uncomfortable with it.

I wasn't comfortable seeing him wear those damn tights to the presser, but that's a me thing I guess.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he brought it all on himself. If you're going to dress up like superman, emboss MVP on your shoes and then not jump on a fumble and then walk out of the presser like a petulant child you're going to get killed. I don't expect him to be happy during the interviews but man up and do your job.

Deservedly so.

He did...he came to the presser and he answered a few questions and he left...abruptly...I've seen more than one player do that and several HCs.

Does that make it okay, or make it right...of course not, but we have people acting as if this was a first or something.

I know that I sound like a Cam apologist and nothing could be further from the truth. I just don't see him as this big polarizing figure.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not...that's been my point here.

This is my take...he was trying to say he's a black QB walking to the beat of his own drummer and some people don't like it or are uncomfortable with it.

I wasn't comfortable seeing him wear those damn tights to the presser, but that's a me thing I guess.

I'm with ya on the tights thing. The young man certainly has his own fashion sense

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deservedly so.

He did...he came to the presser and he answered a few questions and he left...abruptly...I've seen more than one player do that and several HCs.

Does that make it okay, or make it right...of course not, but we have people acting as if this was a first or something.

I know that I sound like a Cam apologist and nothing could be further from the truth. I just don't see him as this big polarizing figure.
And those players are usually called out and criticized for it as well.

But the thing about Cam is, when you act like he does, with the dabbing and celebrating and all that, you put a target on yourself. People wait to see how you react when things don't go your way. And Cam handled it extremely poorly.

You ever know someone who liked to make fun of others, but then gets all upset when he gets made fun of? That's Cam. He's the kind of person who can dish it out, but can't take it.