• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New method for selecting officiating crews

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the past, the officiating crews that worked the playoffs were the same crews that worked together during the regular season. This season, however, the postseason crews will be made up based on a rating system, comprised of the highest-rated individual officials. The lower-ranked officials will work Wild Card Weekend.

Just revisiting this, and too lazy to go find the original thread from before the season started. I'm interested in how this plays out. Hopefully this does away with the clear bias that some crews display in favor of certain teams in the past.

I'm also curious if the NFL is going to just sit back and let the team's play again. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that last year with the Saints game where I believe they finished with zero penalties accepted because the only time they threw a flag against the Saints was when the 49ers had picked up a 1st down anyway.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just revisiting this, and too lazy to go find the original thread from before the season started. I'm interested in how this plays out. Hopefully this does away with the clear bias that some crews display in favor of certain teams in the past.

I'm also curious if the NFL is going to just sit back and let the team's play again. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that last year with the Saints game where I believe they finished with zero penalties accepted because the only time they threw a flag against the Saints was when the 49ers had picked up a 1st down anyway.

For the longest time I rejected the notion of ref favoritism, but not so much anymore. I don't think this format of selecting officials will do away with any of the favoritism simply because that emanates from the top. The secondary's just do what the ref tells them to; they go through their pre-game dressing just as coaches & players do.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the longest time I rejected the notion of ref favoritism, but not so much anymore. I don't think this format of selecting officials will do away with any of the favoritism simply because that emanates from the top. The secondary's just do what the ref tells them to; they go through their pre-game dressing just as coaches & players do.

Unfortunately you're probably right. Although I'm still hopeful that the new guys won't listen and will make the correct calls, probably just wishful thinking on my part.