• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet MSU and LSU were better after he left?

No doubt the guy has done an exceptional job there and been able to get a number of the best players.....and he gets the credit in turning that program around as if he never won that first one he wouldn't be where he is today.

Different programs recruit at different levels, even with really good coaches. No doubt, the Alabama brand helps, especially in his first couple of seasons. But look at where Alabama was under Mike Shula before Saban replaced him.

Certain programs will always have a lot of talent, even in down years, just because they are the top football school in their area. For those schools, there are players who will go because that is who they grew up dreaming about playing for and/or they want friends and family to be able to go to their games.

Look at USC...under Carroll it was top 10 recruiting classes every year, but if memory serves, even under Helton, they only finished out of the top 20 recruiting rankings once. In fact, I believe his first couple of recruiting classes were top 10. But then USC started getting destroyed every time they played other top teams like Bama and tOSU and word started getting out that USC players weren't performing as well as expected in the NFL because they hadn't been prepared for it. When that happens, players like Bryce Young, who went to a school that had been a qb pipeline for USC, end up choosing Alabama and USC gets 3 star guys like Slovis, that no other big school looked at, let alone offered. Thats not even to say that Slovis is a bad qb, he isn't. But he also isn't Bryce Young.

Obviously, recruiting is most important, but without the coaching to develop the talent...it ends up being a waste of that talent.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember that correctly the Dolphins had concerns about Drew's durability after a surgery. That turned out to be a major mistake on Miami's part.

And what the Dolphins could have been with him. Tough question to answer. But look what he did for the Saints. He was a true franchise QB that turned out to be very durable. I enjoyed watching him going back to his days at Purdue.

The worst of it is that Culpepper was coming off of a knee injury that he never fully recovered from and ended up getting benched.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't believe they let Chase just light 'em up like that...

The 3rd and 27 play was an absolutely awful defensive call.

Cincy has been lighting them up all day with deep passes and what do they do?

All out blitz with 1 on 1 coverage.

Just a really stupid coverage call.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's turned Bama into an NFL player factory. What he's done in Tuscaloosa really is legendary.

He looked at what Pete Carroll did at USC and said "Hold my beer''. lol

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of meltdowns...anyone else catch Antonio Browns antics today...apparently he is no longer a part of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers franchise.

That is wild.

Not exactly a shocker considering his antics over the last couple years, but still.

That has to be his last NFL game.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is wild.

Not exactly a shocker considering his antics over the last couple years, but still.

That has to be his last NFL game.

Yeah, they were saying the same thing on FOX. They doubt any other team will give him a shot. You go to the defending Super Bowl champs because Tom Freakin Brady basically vouched for you and you do that...

If thats not a career ender...I dont know what is.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can say this.....we may disagree but you're about the most meltdown-less poster on here.

Appreciate the compliment!

I never understand why some people assume that someone is angry just because they write a post that disagrees with theirs.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different programs recruit at different levels, even with really good coaches. No doubt, the Alabama brand helps, especially in his first couple of seasons. But look at where Alabama was under Mike Shula before Saban replaced him.

Certain programs will always have a lot of talent, even in down years, just because they are the top football school in their area. For those schools, there are players who will go because that is who they grew up dreaming about playing for and/or they want friends and family to be able to go to their games.

Look at USC...under Carroll it was top 10 recruiting classes every year, but if memory serves, even under Helton, they only finished out of the top 20 recruiting rankings once. In fact, I believe his first couple of recruiting classes were top 10. But then USC started getting destroyed every time they played other top teams like Bama and tOSU and word started getting out that USC players weren't performing as well as expected in the NFL because they hadn't been prepared for it. When that happens, players like Bryce Young, who went to a school that had been a qb pipeline for USC, end up choosing Alabama and USC gets 3 star guys like Slovis, that no other big school looked at, let alone offered. Thats not even to say that Slovis is a bad qb, he isn't. But he also isn't Bryce Young.

Obviously, recruiting is most important, but without the coaching to develop the talent...it ends up being a waste of that talent.
as I said....he is elite of elite at Bama and deserves major props...not just for all the titles, but adding in where they were before he got there (as you kind of alluded).

Not sure I'm buying he gets guys because of what his guys do in the NFL. Many of these kids think they are going to the NFL no matter where they play. For the most part his QBs have been disasters in the NFL (if they even get there) yet QBs still go to Bama, don't they? Kind of ruins that narrative. Want to tell me they go because they will be seen, have a good chance to win titles...and that is largely because of Saban? Wont get a disagreement from me.

you'd think I'm saying he is a bad coach or overrated when far from the case. My opinion is simply that most of his success is because of his elite recruiting. I also said recruiting more than half the battle IMO, as well, so that's hardly a putdown.

Meyer is the only guy who could really even sniff the success he has (OK...maybe Dabo, but not quite as long) and, yes, he coached my alma mater. I'd say the same of him.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe the Bengals won that division