• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 152,121.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was the 8th guy on the team and he brought the gun to a teammate that was used in a capital murder he would have been ushered off the team as well. But this dude is a lottery pick and a one seed. That’s the only reason he wasn’t dismissed from the team as well. I think this is pretty obvious to all that the big variable here is the player in question is really good and that bodes well for Alabama. I’m going to enjoy rooting against them in the SEC tournament and the NCAA tournament for sure and hope they fall short of their goals. Alabama has every right to do what they want to do just as I have every right to wish they lose in agonizing fashion.
My team has a losing record and kicked them by 30 a few weeks ago, that was a good start.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that side of it. It’s pretty obvious there is more to this story, Alabama is doing it how they want, the SEC isn’t stepping in, my team is part of that now, there are things more important than sports. This should be one of those times.

I disagree. It sucks that someone died, but the kid shouldn't be suspended unless and until he is at least charged with something.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 152,121.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. It sucks that someone died, but the kid shouldn't be suspended unless and until he is at least charged with something.
Well as you know sometimes things get buried in cases like this, read that article, it doesn’t pass the smell test, not close even.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you a good teammate if you get a text or call from a friend on the team to bring his gun to him and you go bring him the gun? The burden of proof in criminal court and the responsibility you have to your team are entirely different columns.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as you know sometimes things get buried in cases like this, read that article, it doesn’t pass the smell test, not close even.
I don’t know enough to be able to say what went down but I will point out that the story does have a convenient way to explain why Miller’s prints were on the gun. At the same time, you would think law enforcement would have checked for gun residue on Miller’s hands or clothes. I would imagine that would have ruled him out as being the actual shooter.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 152,121.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know enough to be able to say what went down but I will point out that the story does have a convenient way to explain why Miller’s prints were on the gun. At the same time, you would think law enforcement would have checked for gun residue on Miller’s hands or clothes. I would imagine that would have ruled him out as being the actual shooter.
This will follow this kid, and there is a good chance he will pay a civil judgement at some point. That’s the problem when there is the appearance of things being swept away.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to the article, the Miles kid who apparently owned the gun and handed it to Davis has been removed from the team and according to police testimony, Davis was the one who shot Harris.

The chief assistant district attorney has said there's nothing to charge Miller with.

Miles and Davis are both being charged with capital murder. So, it seems that the ones responsible are being dealt with. Unless they find some evidence that Miller did something he can be charged for, he shouldn't be suspended.

Although, I will say that the pat down thing during warmups was pretty tasteless and I'd sit him for a game or 2 for that of I were his coach.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you a good teammate if you get a text or call from a friend on the team to bring his gun to him and you go bring him the gun? The burden of proof in criminal court and the responsibility you have to your team are entirely different columns.

What does being a good teammate have to do with anything? They were teammates and probably friends. The guy who owned the gun asked Miller to bring it to him and he did. What happened after that had nothing to do with Miller unless there is evidence that says otherwise.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will follow this kid, and there is a good chance he will pay a civil judgement at some point. That’s the problem when there is the appearance of things being swept away.

Appearance of being swept away? The article seems pretty straightforward as to what happened.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 152,121.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appearance of being swept away? The article seems pretty straightforward as to what happened.
At first they said the other kid was off the team due to injury. At a minimum Milker delivered the murder weapon, I’m not as quick to dismiss that I guess.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does being a good teammate have to do with anything? They were teammates and probably friends. The guy who owned the gun asked Miller to bring it to him and he did. What happened after that had nothing to do with Miller unless there is evidence that says otherwise.
I’m saying that Alabama doesn’t need a charge or a conviction to dismiss a player from the team for the actions Miller took that night. If he isn’t a lottery pick and the engine that drives a high ranked team, I think he gets dismissed from the team. I especially am in this court as a coach after watching everything that spiraled with Baylor basketball a few years back. I don’t want this element anywhere near my team and I personally root out anyone involved. Alabama made a different choice and they have that right. What I was saying in my post is that you don’t need violations in the criminal code to act if you’re Alabama.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first they said the other kid was off the team due to injury. At a minimum Milker delivered the murder weapon, I’m not as quick to dismiss that I guess.

Is there evidence that Miller knew the gun was going to be used in a crime?

If you and I are friends meeting up somewhere and you ask me to stop by your house and bring you one of your guns and you shoot someone with it, that's not my fault unless I somehow know you're going to use it to shoot someone.

Again, I get it. It's tragic that someone died, but suspending a kid who doesn't appear to have committed a crime because what happened was sad isn't how punishment should be determined.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 152,121.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there evidence that Miller knew the gun was going to be used in a crime?

If you and I are friends meeting up somewhere and you ask me to stop by your house and bring you one of your guns and you shoot someone with it, that's not my fault unless I somehow know you're going to use it to shoot someone.

Again, I get it. It's tragic that someone died, but suspending a kid who doesn't appear to have committed a crime because what happened was sad isn't how punishment should be determined.
Let the games go on I guess

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m saying that Alabama doesn’t need a charge or a conviction to dismiss a player from the team for the actions Miller took that night. If he isn’t a lottery pick and the engine that drives a high ranked team, I think he gets dismissed from the team. I especially am in this court as a coach after watching everything that spiraled with Baylor basketball a few years back. I don’t want this element anywhere near my team and I personally root out anyone involved. Alabama made a different choice and they have that right. What I was saying in my post is that you don’t need violations in the criminal code to act if you’re Alabama.

Technically, Alabama doesn't have to have a reason to remove any player from the team.

What happened at Baylor has nothing to do with this.

You haven't given any legitimate reason for Miller to be suspended. All you're saying is that if Miller wasn't a top player he would be gone, but that's nothing but speculation and isn't a reason to suspend Miller.

Perhaps the only reason folks are saying he should be suspended is because of how good he is.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let the games go on I guess

So we have a kid who hasn't been arrested, charged or convicted...who the chief assistant district attorney has said there's nothing to charge him with but he should be punished anyway?

Can you give 1 legit, legal and non-emotion based reason why?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 152,121.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we have a kid who hasn't been arrested, charged or convicted...who the chief assistant district attorney has said there's nothing to charge him with but he should be punished anyway?

Can you give 1 legit, legal and non-emotion based reason why?
Everything I do is non emotional. Unlike Stephen A, who thinks it’s wrong as well by the way. I think when a person dies discretion should be extreme. This called for cancelling games honestly until the smoke cleared, not saying a murderer was out for an injury at first. As you said, at a minimum a couple games for poking fun at a horrible situation should have been a no brainer.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,747.11
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most recent article indicates he never touched the gun involved in the murder.