• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm discussing it, isn't that theme we're going with? Maybe I'll start spamming the thread with every tweet and minor league report about my teams to show my acceptance?
That would be going way overboard but do what ya gotta do.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough baseball...!!

Y'all KNOW it's FOOTBALL season, right?! Did y'all NOT get that memo?! Let the testosterone flow, dammit...!!:D

Kansas City Chiefs Football GIF by Nickelodeon

1st appearance of the Grim Reaper, Money Mahomes this Saturday, muthafuckas...:thumb:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally agree with your take that coaches, especially in pro sports don't make quite as much difference as folks often want to give them.

But I disagree a bit when it comes to baseball. In baseball, things like pulling a pitcher an inning too early or too late (or heck, even a batter too early or too late) can cost a team a game or even a series.
I think it's kind of the opposite when it comes to baseball but coaches matter more in other sports (for sure in the NFL). Those sports have systems, if you will. Not really a system in baseball. I mean, when a ball is hit you learn in little league what to do in the field and it doesn't really change at the ML level.

Sure, Blame the Coach/Manager guy will blame the coach/manager if you take out a pitcher and the guy you put in messes up.....whole rarely crediting the manager if it works (not saying that is you).

I'm fairly certain if Tito and the entire staff did not show up for the game today the Tribe would have a reasonable chance to win (less, though, because it's Plesac pitching).

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so glad the Dodgers hired Roberts; he's been a godsend, especially combined with their front office roster decisions for the most part (coughBauercough).

Even with him, I really haven't liked when he pulls pitchers from games. He's cost them some games, including in the playoffs because he'll pull a younger pitcher who's throwing a good game...then turn around and leave Kershaw in when, for the last few years, he has struggled the 3rd time through a lineup.

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,091.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with him, I really haven't liked when he pulls pitchers from games. He's cost them some games, including in the playoffs because he'll pull a younger pitcher who's throwing a good game...then turn around and leave Kershaw in when, for the last few years, he has struggled the 3rd time through a lineup.
Upgrade over Mattingly but he's far from the perfect manager.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upgrade over Mattingly but he's far from the perfect manager.

I think every manager/coach has at least 1 ''blind spot'' and that seems to be his.

But, can't complain too much considering all of the winning they've done.

I kind of get it, he worries about the inexperience of the younger pitchers and trusts Kershaw's experience. But at his age and with the innings he's pitched, expecting him to go past 5 or 6 innings is like expecting Lebron at his age, to play all 48 minutes of a game and still have something left for overtime.

Reactions: DJ

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That has been the one negative though, and he seems to have the full support of his players and they truly act as a team under him. The bigger issue IMO has been the predicable pitch calls that third time through the lineup (or the pitches being tipped/stolen). How much of that black eye is from the Astros series?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's kind of the opposite when it comes to baseball but coaches matter more in other sports (for sure in the NFL). Those sports have systems, if you will. Not really a system in baseball. I mean, when a ball is hit you learn in little league what to do in the field and it doesn't really change at the ML level.

Sure, Blame the Coach/Manager guy will blame the coach/manager if you take out a pitcher and the guy you put in messes up.....whole rarely crediting the manager if it works (not saying that is you).

I'm fairly certain if Tito and the entire staff did not show up for the game today the Tribe would have a reasonable chance to win (less, though, because it's Plesac pitching).

In baseball it's truly a manager and not a coach, managing the egos and personalities that make up the team. More about keeping the team together and pulling in one direction than actual x's and o's coaching and fundamentals, at least game to game.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough baseball...!!

Y'all KNOW it's FOOTBALL season, right?! Did y'all NOT get that memo?! Let the testosterone flow, dammit...!!:D

Kansas City Chiefs Football GIF by Nickelodeon

1st appearance of the Grim Reaper, Money Mahomes this Saturday, muthafuckas...:thumb:

I think T. Hill's gonna find out pretty quick Tua is Patrick. Still don't get Hill's trash-talk of Mahomes though. I thought it was rather petty.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think T. Hill's gonna find out pretty quick Tua is Patrick. Still don't get Hill's trash-talk of Mahomes though. I thought it was rather petty.

Hill's trying to convince himself that he made the right decision IMO, trying to speak it into reality. He's obviously got doubts deep down.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hill's trying to convince himself that he made the right decision IMO, trying to speak it into reality. He's obviously got doubts deep down.

Financially he made a great decision. And I don't blame him for that. He gotta nice contract that he probably wouldn't have gotten in KC.

But he left a championship caliber team with a HOF coach for a team that isn't nearly as good. Add in the problems Dolphins owner S. Ross recently got into and TH joined a franchise with some serious ownership issues. When there's problems at the very top it always filters through the entire team.

Wish him the best of luck. He's talented and I like watching him play. But I didn't like what he said about Mahomes.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a few underthrows oughta straighten out his narrative. I get hyping his QB, but only within bounds of reason. Tua AIN'T Mahomes...

Steve Austin Wrestling GIF by WWE

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Financially he made a great decision. And I don't blame him for that. He gotta nice contract that he probably wouldn't have gotten in KC.

But he left a championship caliber team with a HOF coach for a team that isn't nearly as good. Add in the problems Dolphins owner S. Ross recently got into and TH joined a franchise with some serious ownership issues. When there's problems at the very top it always filters through the entire team.

Wish him the best of luck. He's talented and I like watching him play. But I didn't like what he said about Mahomes.
I'm with you. An NFL career don't last very long. So your window for making as much money as you can is only so wide. I'd hate to be in that sitch really. You wanna get as much as you can, but you can't overrate yourself. You also gotta be aware of your standing with whatever team you're on. Should you stay, should you go. I can see where it'd get a tad nuts. And don't even bring things up like conduct and such...

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,091.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson is going to start in the preseason opener?