• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Finals: Cleveland Cavs VS Golden State Warriors

NBA Finals: Cleveland Cavs vs. Golden State Warriors

• Warriors Sweep

• Warriors in 5

• Warriors in 6 or 7

• Cavs Sweep

• Cavs in 5

• Cavs in 6 or 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure @gordontrue will call this an "overreaction" but here's my take anyway.

In order to win the series, the Cavs have to win at least 1 game on the Warriors floor. Last night, Klay and Steph scored 20 points on 8 for 27 shooting. That was a great opportunity for the Cavs to take game 1 and get that needed road win out of the way. As well as put a tremendous amount of pressure on the Warriors. Instead, they lost by 15 because the Warriors bench stepped up big time.

Are we likely to see the Warriors bench play that well again? No. But we are also not likely to see Steph and Klay play that badly again, especially at home, so it kind of evens out and doesn't speak well for the Cavs chances.

Having said the above, this series is far from over and if the poor showing by Steph and Klay was more about the Cavs defense than about them just having an off game, the Cavs can come back and win the series.

My guess is though, the Warriors end up winning the series and the Cavs end up looking back at game 1 as a missed opportunity.

I agree. Thing is, the Cavs defense was rather mediocre last night. The bench players for the most part were getting to the rim, or rather, guys not named Curry or Thompson. Livingston has looked pretty well throughout the playoffs sans a game or two. I don't see the Dubs' bench scoring 45 either. The thing that's not an overreaction, but is a legitimate concern is that the Warriors' two best players had their worse combined game and still managed to win by 15.

I'm also of the mindset that Cleveland will have to win 2 games in Oracle as I'm sure the Dubs will win one in Cleveland. So far they already missed out on one golden opportunity. And as we've all said from the very beginning that Warriors defense is far better than anything the Cavs have ever been accustomed to playing against in the playoffs. We all said that reality would hit the Cavs in game 1 as this isn't the Hawks or Raptors.

Still though....Cavs have Lebron James. He alone gives you a chance. Game 2 is pretty critical.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Thing is, the Cavs defense was rather mediocre last night. The bench players for the most part were getting to the rim, or rather, guys not named Curry or Thompson. Livingston has looked pretty well throughout the playoffs sans a game or two. I don't see the Dubs' bench scoring 45 either. The thing that's not an overreaction, but is a legitimate concern is that the Warriors' two best players had their worse combined game and still managed to win by 15.

I'm also of the mindset that Cleveland will have to win 2 games in Oracle as I'm sure the Dubs will win one in Cleveland. So far they already missed out on one golden opportunity. And as we've all said from the very beginning that Warriors defense is far better than anything the Cavs have ever been accustomed to playing against in the playoffs. We all said that reality would hit the Cavs in game 1 as this isn't the Hawks or Raptors.

Still though....Cavs have Lebron James. He alone gives you a chance. Game 2 is pretty critical.
Here is the thing - neither Klay Thompson nor Stephan Curry had a good game in the first game and they still beat the Cavaliers thanks to Livingston. I just don't think that bode wells for the Cavaliers

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as we've all said from the very beginning that Warriors defense is far better than anything the Cavs have ever been accustomed to playing against in the playoffs.

To me, this is the key difference. The Warriors can pretty much switch everything defensively, 1-5, and the Cavs can't.

I heard an interesting take on the Dan Patrick show this morning. He was interviewing Chris Mannix from the The Vertical. Mannix said that everyone was lamenting the Cavs not moving the ball and playing a lot of "hero ball" (the Cavs had 17 assists compared to 29 for GSW). He said that because of the Warriors ability to switch everything defensively, "hero ball" may actually be the Cavs safest option on offense.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guess MY thing here is how on God's green Earth is this a hard game to judge...?:scratch:

Bc of the Warriors bench going off and Steph and Klay didn't also the fact the Cavs shot poorly. It was an unusual game honestly.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ahhhh... Yeah, Delly was just playing an old traditional Australian game called How's Yer Knob.

I think @LAD misunderstood when I said the Warriors were going to get dick slapped. What Delly did was more of a "nut check" than a "dick slap."

A dick slap looks more like this, but a little harder and, well, with a dick:

megan.gif

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well coincidentally the shots they were taking are the same shots they've been taking all year- so not so sure you can give all the credit to the Cavs' defense. GS made them because they didn't have to do anything special to score.

Second, I told you this Cavs team wasn't used to a team that plays solid defense. It's not by coincidence that Kyrie shot 7/22 & LBJ shot 9/21. All those open 3's they were getting in those first 3 rounds will not be there in this series.

Yes, they missed some shots but the Cavs were doing a good job of denying Klay the ball as well as Curry at times, hence the reason the role players had the ball at times but they stepped up and had the best game all season. LBJ missed some easy shots as well, Kyrie got off to a bad start and that usually isn't a good sign. The open looks they were getting, they weren't making except Love.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No coincidence, can't shut everyone down.

Yeah but Livingston had the game of his career and most of the shots were contested. When bench players beat you, you just have to swallow it and move on. It does bother me they couldn't win with Steph or Klay playing poorly, but it bothers me more how the offense looked and didn't move without the ball. If they could have played better on offense I think they have a chance to take that game. Now if Curry and Klay get hot with the bench going off they are impossible to beat. First step is the Cavs offense to look like the offense when they are at their best.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well coincidentally the shots they were taking are the same shots they've been taking all year- so not so sure you can give all the credit to the Cavs' defense. GS made them because they didn't have to do anything special to score.

Second, I told you this Cavs team wasn't used to a team that plays solid defense. It's not by coincidence that Kyrie shot 7/22 & LBJ shot 9/21. All those open 3's they were getting in those first 3 rounds will not be there in this series.

Curry had like 4 uncontested 3s that he didn't make shockingly. Klay missed a few easy ones too.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real question should be, is JR Smith hurt??
He went 1 for 3, scoring just 3 points, w/ 1 Asst & 1 RB in 36 min.

That is NOT getting it done.

Does James really trust JR enough to possibly shoot them out of a game?
Missed 3's turn into easy points at the other end quite often.

I think down 0-1, James is going to be more determined to make sure that if they lose it will be on his terms.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they missed some shots but the Cavs were doing a good job of denying Klay the ball as well as Curry at times, hence the reason the role players had the ball at times but they stepped up and had the best game all season. LBJ missed some easy shots as well, Kyrie got off to a bad start and that usually isn't a good sign. The open looks they were getting, they weren't making except Love.

The only problem with denying klay and steph the ball like that is they're doing it at the expense of giving up a wide open dunk or layup. Which is why this makes steph and klay great players.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does James really trust JR enough to possibly shoot them out of a game?
Missed 3's turn into easy points at the other end quite often.

I think down 0-1, James is going to be more determined to make sure that if they lose it will be on his terms.

Meanwhile...in 9 of the Cavs possessions over the course of the game, Kyrie Irving brought the ball up the floor and didn't pass the ball once....just opting to go into iso mode instead.
He/Cavs went 1 of 9 in those possessions.

Also: NOT getting it done.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bc of the Warriors bench going off and Steph and Klay didn't also the fact the Cavs shot poorly. It was an unusual game honestly.

well, in um, MY humble estimation...

this game was an ass-whoopin, and if Klay and Steph were on it'd've been a state-of-the-art ass-whoopin'...

ALSO...once AGAIN in my humble estimation...you simply aren't giving enough credit to the Warriors defense. you don't think there's a REASON the Cavs shot poorly...?

imo NOT a hard game to judge...

Status
Not open for further replies.