• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My college football previews 2014

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin

Preview segment: The Wisconsin Badgers

Last season: Since 2001, Wisconsin football has been the model of efficiency. Bowl games, Big 10 titles, and 3 straight trips to the Rose Bowl have all come to Madison during this span, and 2013... wasn't really more of the same. Oh it was good (9-4), but Penn State ruined any chances at the BCS, and then South Carolina made it worse at the Capital One Bowl. Now in the new Big 10 West division, what will happen next?

Bad news: The front seven of the Badger defense will be pretty young, and the QB position is up for grabs. Plus, I can't name a Badger player off the top of my head...

Good news: ...but that's how Wisconsin likes it: A bunch of people you've never heard of working for the betterment of the team, not seeking any individual prizes. Well, there IS a exception: both Melvin Gordon and Corey Clement are prime candidates for the Doak Walker Award (for best RB of the year), and they're perfect for the Badger offense.

Key games: 8/30 vs. LSU [in Houston] (Many people see this as an awesome Week 1 matchup of power teams. I see it as "SEC school ready to humiliate another big-time football program"... unless Wisconsin finds a QB in time).
11/15 vs. Nebraska (Props to the Big 10; all of the big games in the Big 10 West will take place in the month of November. And this MAY be the biggest as the Badgers seek to embarrass Bo Pelini and the Huskers again).
11/22 @ Iowa (The "Battle for the Heartland Trophy" puts the top 2 West division teams together in Iowa City).
11/29 vs. Minnesota (What rivalry game? Wisconsin hasn't lost in the "Paul Bunyan's Axe" game since 2003).

Bottom line: This team will be known as "Gordon, Clement, and 71 other dudes"... which I think will make Wisconsin a sneaky team in 2014. With quiet efficiency, they'll develop well under Gary Andersen and get their shot to take back the Big 10 title come December.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, this and Facebook are the only places I share my thoughts on this great sport. Why, do you know any good ones?

Not really. They are all good considering the amount of research required to put something like this together.

Hat's off to ya man.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preview segment: The Maryland Terrapins

Last season: After 60+ years in the ACC that includes a national title in 1953, Maryland played it's final season there (thanks to the conference realignment mess that Nebraska started) and ended with a 7-6 record. Now they're in the Big 10 with (ironically) Nebraska, and the talent's there to do something in Year 1. Sadly, the good luck is not.

Good news: Despite their injuries, Stefon Diggs, C.J. Brown, and Deon Long can still make plays on offense. The defense has a lot of starters returning from 2013, and Randy Edsall now has control of the program after some tense moments early on.

Bad news: After so many injuries to his team over the last 2 years, I bet Randy was screaming to the sky "WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO MUCH, GOD?! WHAT DID I DO TO YOUUUU?!"
But in all seriousness, Maryland absolutely must stay healthy if they want to do something in their 1st year in the Big 10. That, and improving their special teams.

Key games: 9/13 vs. West Virginia (To some people, it's a battle for recruiting rights in the Midwest. For others, I'll bet it's something bigger).
9/27 @ Indiana (The Terps's grand debut in the Big 10, and I got a feeling it's gonna be a Wild-West-type shootout game).
10/4 vs. Ohio State (This is the game the Maryland fans have circled on their calendars; their Big 10 home opener where they can surprise the Buckeyes).
11/1 @ Penn State (Remember my Penn State preview? Well, somebody nailed this rivalry game with this:

Maryland is not a rivalry. You said it yourself. 1 win.

Yikes. Here's hoping Maryland wakes up the series with a upset win.
11/22 @ Michigan (As much as Maryland fans will line up for the Ohio St. game, I think a few of them will join the team for their first Big 10 in Ann Arbor).

Bottom line: This is the wild card of the Big 10; the talent's there, but nobody can trust them to be healthy for a full 12 games. So unless they show us something in their new home, pencil them in the middle of the conference.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdue

Preview segment: The Purdue Boilermakers

Last season: For the benefit of Purdue fans, I'll sum it up with this: 1-11, no wins over FBS schools, they were awful, now let's move on.

Good news: One thing's for sure, Purdue won't finish 119th in total offense like last year thanks to some playmakers on the offensive front. That goes also for the defense (104th in total defense in 2013); the secondary looks good.

Bad news: There's only so far up you can climb from 1-11, and the offensive line may hamper those playmakers on offense. Plus, they don't get either of the Big 10 newbies on the schedule.

Key games: 9/13 vs. Notre Dame [in Indianapolis] (No matter how bad they might be, Purdue will bring it against their in-state rivals from South Bend. They proved that last year).
9/27 vs. Iowa (The Boilermakers has a easier start to 2014 than 2013, so we'll see how well coach Hazell has his system going in this one).
10/4 @ Illinois (This game, combined with the Iowa one, will tell if you can ignore Purdue this year).

Bottom line: Ever since Kyle Orton left Purdue, the Boilermakers haven't done much of anything. Will they finish 1-11 like last year? Hell no.
Can they do something in the 2014 season? Sadly, hell no.
Will they finish last in their new division? Thankfully, that's a hell no, too.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, this and Facebook are the only places I share my thoughts on this great sport. Why, do you know any good ones?

I don't have a "good one" because I don't write. But I have a blog to my website and you can write stuff on it if you want. I have another guy who writes on it occasionally during the season, I rarely do. Wouldn't mind more things being written.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois

Preview segment: The Illinois Fighting Illini

Last season: Well, at least it was better than 2012's 2-10; the Illini finished 4-8 and FINALLY snapped their 21-game Big 10 losing streak. This year, coach Tim Beckman is hoping Year 3 will at least finish in a bowl game, but I think too much will work against him and Illinois.

Good news: Illinois has a veteran offensive line to help their big playmaker Josh Ferguson and whoever wins the QB job (Most are betting on former O.K. State QB Wes Lunt).

Bad news: But QB battles in fall camp are almost never good, and losing their top 3 receivers from a year ago doesn't help matters. And when will the Illini defense finally make an appearance? It all depends on whenever or not they can get some speed going.

Key games: 9/6 vs. Western Kentucky (Hey Illini, your conference doesn't have that good a reputation amongst your fellow "Big 5" conferences. So let's not make it worse and lose to the Hilltoppers, all right?)
10/4 vs. Purdue (Sandwiched between road games to Nebraska and Wisconsin is this "Battle for the Purdue Cannon" match-up. And remember: This was the game that Illinois used to snap that long conference losing streak last year).
11/1 @ Ohio State (In the "Battle for Illbuck", it could be Illinois's biggest loss.... or maybe a chance to show their improvements to the nation).
11/29 @ Northwestern (By this time, Northwestern could be having their own issues in the Big 10. Perfect chance, then, for Illinois to pull a surprise).

Bottom line: Sorry Beckman, but the schedule and your team's defense works against you. We'll see what happens if the offense gets going, but until then you'll be stuck in last place in the new Big 10 West.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota

Preview segment: The Minnesota Gophers

Last season: Despite Jerry Kill's condition, he still led the Golden Gophers to their best season in a decade (Major props to him!), but losing their final 3 games (including their bowl game) almost ruined it. Now in the new Big 10 West, can Minnesota take the next step and compete for a division crown?

Bad news: The passing game absolutely STUNK in 2013, and I don't know how that will change this year. Oh, Mitch Ledner will be fine, but who'll catch his passes?

Good news: If the Gophers find answers at WR, the offense will be rolling; the O-line looks solid and all of their RB's can gather yards and TD's. And yes Ra'Shede Hageman left for the NFL, but Minnesota's crop of LB's will help fill the void.

2014 X-factor: YOU! The Minnesota fans! Despite his epilepsy, Jerry's doing a great job coaching your team. Just donate some money to the Epilepsy Foundation of Minnesota and let him get his health back, OK?

Key games: 9/13 @ TCU (For TCU, this will be just a little diversion from the Big 12; for the Gophers it's a chance to make a statement).
9/27 @ Michigan (Minnesota wants to challenge for the Big 10 title very soon. Defeating Michigan and getting a rare chance to hold the Little Brown Jug would be a great start to that goal).
11/8 vs. Iowa (One of the most iconic trophy's in college football [the Floyd of Rosedale] is on the line again as both teams will jockey for Big 10 West honors. But afterwards...)
11/22 @ Nebraska (...the Gophers must play Ohio State, the Huskers, and Wisconsin in their last 3 games. And I think this one will be the hardest for Minnesota to win).

Bottom line: Jerry's got the Gophers on the right track, and now the fans are looking for a shot at the Big 10... that is, if a passing game is found. At the very least, Minnesota should aim for NOT playing their bowl game in Houston (like they've done the last 3 years). That would be a good start for Minnesota's return to glory.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northwestern

Preview segment: The Northwestern University Wildcats

Last season: Man, did God REALLY hate Northwestern in 2013 or what? The Wildcats started 4-0 and almost beat Ohio State, and then the wheels came off as they lost nearly everyone to injuries and finished 5-7 as a result.
No wait... Maybe it's karma that got Northwestern in 2013. Their season imploded, but during the spring the football team won the right to form a union, kick-starting the NCAA actually HELPING student-athletics.:clap: But what will 2014 bring? More of the same, unfortunately for the NCAA.

Good news: All those injuries means a lot of guys from 2012's 10-win season return to action, and the offensive line looks awesome. Plus, let's not discredit coach Pat Fitzgerald; when nobody expects Northwestern to win, he can prove them wrong every time.

Bad news: All anybody in college football talked about during the spring was Northwestern's union forming. But this issue is FAR from over, and it could distract the team not just in 2014, but several years to come. Oh, and nobody knows what the Wildcat defense will do this season.

Key games: 8/30 vs. California (This is the Wildcats's first game since this whole student union/helping students mess began. Guaranteed that this'll be a circus in Evanston).
10/4 vs. Wisconsin (The Badgers have taken a tire-iron to the Wildcats over the last few years. At the least, I'm expecting a closer game between the two).
10/18 vs. Nebraska (I guarantee you that this scene took place in Evanston during last year's game: Picture a dude crowd-surfing and saying "WHOO! Our team's back in the winner circle! I love you all!!" And then Nebraska completed that Hail-Mary pass, and the crowd dropped the dude causing him to say "Ow, my hip!")
11/8 vs. Michigan (When it's not injuries that hurt the Wildcats, it was plain bad luck: They almost sank the Wolverines, but failed in 3 OT's last year).

Bottom line: Pat's still there, and Northwestern's got talent, so a bowl berth is in the works. But it won't be a big one, mainly because of health concerns and of course, the union story that'll rage throughout this season... and many more after.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska

Preview segment: The Nebraska Huskers

Last season: If you're a Nebraska Cornhusker hater, then you must have been LOVING their 2013 season! A tape of Bo Pelini swearing his ----ing head off in 2011 surfaced, then they blew most of their big games in finishing 7-5. But the most hilarious part of Nebraska's 2013 season came after Iowa beat them in Lincoln: Pelini actually told the school to fire him!! So why is he still in Lincoln? Well, beating a SEC team in the Gator Bowl tends to do the trick.
Now entering 2014 and with a new contract extension in Pelini's pocket, the fans are hoping that the product on the field will be loads better... and that Pelini behaves himself.

Good news: Pelini's fake Twitter account helped him win back some favoritism with the fans, so therefore RB Ameer Abdullah and QB Tommy Armstrong Jr. can focus on getting better on offense. The defense returns quite a bit of experience.

Bad news: Sorry Huskers, I just don't trust your coach. Something tells me he'll blow a gasket and ruin his new-found goodwill, and that might happen with a shaky offensive line. Plus, they GOTTA start winning some of the big games: Nebraska people are proud people, and they won't stand any more "second-tier" bowls.

Key games: 9/13 @ Fresno State (A rare trip to the West coast for the Huskers).
9/20 vs. Miami (Miami sees this game as a nostalgia piece. Problem is, Nebraska will not; they NEED to win some big non-conference games).
10/4 @ Michigan State (Like I said earlier, the Huskers need to start winning big games again. Stunning the Spartans in East Lansing would fit the bill beautifully).
11/15 @ Wisconsin (Another fun game in the middle of November. Trust me, this is gonna be a ugly one).
11/28 @ Iowa (Of all the new conference rivalry games, this has become the best of the lot. But I think the Husker fans will be ready to crush Pelini when he loses this one).

Bottom line: Sometimes it's the little intangibles that can mean the difference between 7-5 and a conference title. And sadly for Nebraska, I don't think they have ANY of them. However, talent wins out most of the time, and the Huskers have some of the Big 10's best players.
So will Nebraska get the Big 10 West crown and a shot at the title? To quote Vince McMahon: "It's not just a no, it's a OH HELLLLLL NO!"

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last season: If you're a Nebraska Cornhusker hater, then you must have been LOVING their 2013 season! A tape of Bo Pelini swearing his ----ing head off in 2011 surfaced, then they blew most of their big games in finishing 7-5.

Nebraska didn't finish 7-5

They finished 9-4.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated Nebraska preview

Last season: If you're a Nebraska Cornhusker hater, then you must have been LOVING their 2013 season! A tape of Bo Pelini swearing his ----ing head off in 2011 surfaced, then they blew most of their big games in finishing 9-3 in the regular season (And thanks to Red_Alert for pointing my little misstep earier). But the most hilarious part of Nebraska's 2013 season came after Iowa beat them in Lincoln: Pelini actually told the school to fire him!!
So why is he still here? Well, beating a SEC team in the Gator Bowl tends to do the trick. Now entering 2014 and with a new contract extension in Pelini's pocket, the fans are hoping that the product on the field will be loads better... and that Pelini behaves himself.

Good news: Pelini's fake Twitter account helped him win back some favoritism with the fans, so therefore RB Ameer Abdullah and QB Tommy Armstrong Jr. can focus on getting better on offense. The defense returns quite a bit of experience.

Bad news: Sorry Huskers, I just don't trust your coach. Something tells me he'll blow a gasket and ruin his new-found goodwill, and that might happen with a shaky offensive line. Plus, they GOTTA start winning some of the big games: Nebraska people are proud people, and they won't stand any more "second-tier" bowls.

9/20 vs. Miami (Miami sees this game as a nostalgia piece. Problem is, Nebraska will not; they NEED to win some big non-conference games).
10/4 @ Michigan State (Like I said earlier, the Huskers need to start winning big games again. Stunning the Spartans in East Lansing would fit the bill beautifully).
11/15 @ Wisconsin (Another fun game in the middle of November. Trust me, this is gonna be a ugly one).
11/28 @ Iowa (Of all the new conference rivalry games, this has become the best of the lot. But I think the Husker fans will be ready to crush Pelini when he loses this one).

Bottom line: Sometimes it's the little intangibles that can mean the difference between 7-5 and a conference title. And sadly for Nebraska, I don't think they have ANY of them. However, talent wins out most of the time, and the Huskers have some of the Big 10's best players.
So will Nebraska get the Big 10 West crown and a shot at the title? To quote Vince McMahon: "It's not just a no, it's a OH HELLLLLL NO!"

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season: If you're a Nebraska Cornhusker hater, then you must have been LOVING their 2013 season! A tape of Bo Pelini swearing his ----ing head off in 2011 surfaced, then they blew most of their big games in finishing 9-3 in the regular season

Shoot, Nebraska went 8-4 in the regular season.:doh: Sorry folks, today's not my day.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa

Preview segment: The Iowa Hawkeyes

Last season: After going through a couple of years of growing pains, Iowa returned to the national scene with a 8-4 regular season. And despite losing some people, they can challenge for the new Big 10 West crown.

Good news: I honestly thought Iowa was going to beat LSU in last season's Outback Bowl, mostly because of their Top-10 defense. Quite a few starters return from that unit, and the offense should be fine; the RB position over there is VERY deep.

Bad news: As I mentioned earlier, Iowa's defense will be good. It'll just take time to get going as they must replace starters in the secondary and the D-line. And Iowa must find some explosiveness on offense to break through in the Big 10...

More good news: ...but this year (at least) Iowa won't have to deal with Ohio St. or Michigan St.

Key games: 9/13 vs. Iowa State (See my Iowa St. preview).
9/20 @ Pittsburgh (Like some of the Big 10 teams I already mentioned, Iowa must win big games out-of-conference).
10/18 @ Maryland (Iowa vs. Maryland doesn't sound all that exciting, doesn't it? And that's why I think Iowa will be in big trouble in College Park).
11/22 vs. Wisconsin (Like Wisconsin, Iowa will thrive on no-names working for the good of the team... and that's why this game will ultimately decide the division).
11/28 vs. Nebraska (Um, Hawkeyes? I've kinda angered the Huskers yesterday, so if you can could you beat them like you did last year and make them shut up? Thanks so much).

Bottom line: The casual fan cannot name a Iowa Hawkeyes player off the top of their heads... which is why they'll stay with Wisconsin in the Big 10 West race until the bitter end.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana

Preview segment: The Indiana Hoosiers

Last season: There was loads of promise with last year's team, but unfortunately Indiana finished 5-7 as they couldn't win the big one; Michigan, Michigan St., and Minnesota all clipped them in close games. Mark my words: One of these days, this outfit is gonna hurt somebody and make their first bowl game since 2007. Is this the year they do it?

Bad news: When you're behind even Purdue in total defense, you've failed at your job as defensive coordinator. Everyone in Bloomington is hoping that a change in defensive schemes will help, but there's questions at the WR position too.

Good news: Other than that, the Hoosiers have the offense needed to push for Big 10 contention. Dynamic players at QB, RB, and the O-line makes for one scary-looking unit.

Key games: 9/20 @ Missouri (Indiana's excited to get another shot at a fellow Midwest school. Problem is, Missouri will already be battle-tested by the time this game comes).
10/18 vs. Michigan State (Hmmmm... the Big 10's best offense vs. one of the Big 10's best defenses in Indiana. And it's a rivalry game... Hmmmm).
11/1 @ Michigan (Recently, this series has become a points-fest. Last year, Michigan and Indiana combined for 110 points... and it wasn't even the high-octane game between the two! Look it up).
11/15 @ Rutgers (Before Indiana finishes with Ohio State and rival Purdue, they must get past this look-ahead game. If they don't, it could mean bye-bye to a bowl berth... again).

Bottom line: Right now the Hoosiers are shooting for the stars, but first things first, you guys. Find SOME competency on defense and get that elusive bowl berth, and THEN you can talk about winning the Big 10.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously I'm not a big fan of your conclusions, but we have to prove on the field that things will be different so I understand where you're coming from. As to the bolded, I'd guess Nebraska has played on the West coast more than most midwest teams the past few years...we've played at UCLA and at Washington, as well as playing in a few California bowl games. To me, the more intriguing (read: scary) factor in that game is that it is a 7:30 PM local start time (9:30 PM Central).

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State

Preview segment: The Ohio State Buckeyes

Last season: Okay, let me get this straight: Ohio State had their 2nd straight 12-0 regular season under Urban Meyer (who proved to me last year he can coach up almost anybody), yet people DIDN'T want them to fight Florida State in the BCS title game?!
Well, those cynics got their wish: Ohio St. got bushwhacked by Michigan State, and then the Buckeyes lost in the Orange Bowl. But to all those cynics: When Ohio St has a lovely 2014 and gets into the 4-team playoff, you'll have only yourselves to blame.

Good news: Let me check... Yep, Braxton Miller is still here, and as usual he'll have loads of helpers at the skill positions. The defensive line may be the best in the nation, and rest assured that the pass defense will do better this year than in 2013, where they finished 110th overall.

Bad news: The secondary may need to fill some holes, but the O-line is the big early concern; some youngsters will need to fill the gaps quickly. And until that happens, Braxton should be careful; he's had some injury concerns.

Key games: 9/6 vs. Virginia Tech (The Hokies will be ready to put up a fight, so this [and the Navy game the previous week] will be a perfect early test for the O-line of Ohio St.).
10/4 @ Maryland (Maryland will have almost nothing to lose in this match, and that could be Ohio State's #1 problem: If a middle-of-the-road team trips them up, their playoff chances could go splat).
11/8 @ Michigan State (I checked on Stubhub for tickets to this game in East Lansing, and the cheap ones are already going for $152 [The good ones are going for over $1,100]:omg:. So a little suggestion: Book your tickets now).
11/29 vs. Michigan (Now you didn't think I'd forget this marquee match-up, did you?)

Bottom line: I think that not making the national title game last year will only fuel the Buckeyes, and they got the names to outclass a lot of teams. If Urban keeps everyone focused (especially the O-line), we can all pencil the Buckeyes in the new 4-team playoff.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers

Preview segment: The Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Last season: From 1976 to 2004, the Rutgers football team had done almost nothing worth noting. 10 years later, here we are: the Scarlet Knights are now in the Big 10, aching to keep the good times rolling. And by good times, I mean a season that didn't end 6-7 with some rough losses ... like last year.

Bad news: It's never easy starting life in a new conference, and Rutgers must play ALL of the Big 10 monsters in Year 1 (Ohio St., Michigan St. Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Penn State). And it gets even harder as the secondary and the O-line are big question marks.

Good news: Coach Kyle Flood is ready to take on the challenge with a strong coaching staff and a fine crop of RB's. The defensive line will be the strongest part of the team, and a senior QB will lead the...

More bad news:... Wait wait wait, Gary Nova's the starting QB? Uh... excuse me.

(Ladies and gentlemen, be patient. Dolgevillefootballfan is currently laughing his head off in the next room. Please wait 15 seconds).

Heh... heh heh... Okay, sorry about that. Let's continue.

Key games: 8/28 vs. Washington State [in Seattle] (Not a bad way to test your team early on: Sending them out to Qwest Field to face a bowl team form last year).
9/13 vs. Penn State (Let the madness begin. This will be the first conference game in the new-look Big 10, and it's on prime time TV).
10/4 vs. Michigan (The Big 10 grind truly begins here with a Big 10 staple coming to New Jersey).
10/25 @ Nebraska (Not the ideal game for Rutgers after going to Ohio St. the previous week).
11/29 @ Maryland (Not the ideal game for Rutgers to close out the season after going to Michigan St. the previous week).

Bottom line: I actually think this was a grand move by Rutgers; now they can all the fun they want in the Northeast and Midwest. 2014 will be a exciting year for the Scarlet Knights... it just will end in November rather in a bowl game in December. Sorry.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoot, Nebraska went 8-4 in the regular season.:doh: Sorry folks, today's not my day.

No problem.

The rest of your stuff is pretty well spot on when looking at the patterns of the Pelini era. He's struggled to put all the pieces together like good head coaches do. Basic player fundamentals and discipline of the game seem to escape his preparation routine. For a couple of years now I've felt he's better suited as a follower as opposed to a leader. He reached his apex as a defensive coordinator relying on his bosses to put together a complete game plan.

Your statement "9/20 vs. Miami (Miami sees this game as a nostalgia piece. Problem is, Nebraska will not; they NEED to win some big non-conference games).".... is the scary part.

Those are the very games Pelini loses. It's his 4 losses a year. The one's where Nebraska has to take it to the next level. Unfortunately the players come out of the locker room looking like they're lost, like they haven't practiced all week. To me that's either a sign of over preparation, conflicting preparation, or lack of player confidence in the game plan.
The vast majority of their other games they play flat and down to the opponents level. They can't get out of their own way.

Your point about them having talent is correct. They do. The problem is that talent not being where they're supposed to be on the field.

Nebraska also hasn't been very good up front on either side of the ball. You're not gonna beat many 9+ win Power 5 teams like that.

We shall see if Pelini has learned how to be an elite head coach after 6 full years on the job. My money says no, because I don't think those traits are learned. I believe they are inherent.
Anybody can tell people what to do and have expectations for them. To get the finest out of those people you're leading is something entirely different.

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preview segment: The Maryland Terrapins

Last season: After 60+ years in the ACC that includes a national title in 1953, Maryland played it's final season there (thanks to the conference realignment mess that Nebraska started) and ended with a 7-6 record. Now they're in the Big 10 with (ironically) Nebraska, and the talent's there to do something in Year 1. Sadly, the good luck is not.

Good news: Despite their injuries, Stefon Diggs, C.J. Brown, and Deon Long can still make plays on offense. The defense has a lot of starters returning from 2013, and Randy Edsall now has control of the program after some tense moments early on.

Bad news: After so many injuries to his team over the last 2 years, I bet Randy was screaming to the sky "WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO MUCH, GOD?! WHAT DID I DO TO YOUUUU?!"
But in all seriousness, Maryland absolutely must stay healthy if they want to do something in their 1st year in the Big 10. That, and improving their special teams.

Key games: 9/13 vs. West Virginia (To some people, it's a battle for recruiting rights in the Midwest. For others, I'll bet it's something bigger).
9/27 @ Indiana (The Terps's grand debut in the Big 10, and I got a feeling it's gonna be a Wild-West-type shootout game).
10/4 vs. Ohio State (This is the game the Maryland fans have circled on their calendars; their Big 10 home opener where they can surprise the Buckeyes).
11/1 @ Penn State (Remember my Penn State preview? Well, somebody nailed this rivalry game with this:

Yikes. Here's hoping Maryland wakes up the series with a upset win.
11/22 @ Michigan (As much as Maryland fans will line up for the Ohio St. game, I think a few of them will join the team for their first Big 10 in Ann Arbor).

Bottom line: This is the wild card of the Big 10; the talent's there, but nobody can trust them to be healthy for a full 12 games. So unless they show us something in their new home, pencil them in the middle of the conference.
Improved special teams? I don't get this one. The Terps are very good all around on special teams.