• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My college football previews 2014

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona

Preview segment: The Arizona Wildcats

Last season: Rich Rodriguez has squeezed 2 straight 8-win seasons from the boys in Tucson from a depleted roster, and now with new facilities and better players he hopes to contend in the very-crowded PAC-12 South.

Bad news: A QB won't be found until the beginning of the season... or maybe a couple of games into the season. The defensive line is still lacking size, and Ka'Deem Carey is gone.

Good news: But let's not panic about the running game; there are lots of options for R-rod to use. And whoever wins the QB job will work with one of the nation's best receiving corps and a good O-line. The secondary returns almost everybody.

Key games: 9/4 @ UTSA (Hey R-rod! Hopefully you will find a QB when you visit San Antonio, 'cause they'll be 38 seniors ready to come after you).
10/11 vs. USC (After dealing with the vengeful Ducks Arizona will have 9 days to pick themselves up, 'cause I think they got a shot to beat the Trojans if things come together).
11/1 @ UCLA (Like the above game with USC and the game at Oregon, it would be big for Arizona if they beat a team they shouldn't beat).
11/28 vs. Arizona State (The "Duel in the Desert" was where the Wildcats was at it's worse [They lost 58-21], so you know damn well R-rod wants payback).

Bottom line: I'll be honest here; before I did this preview I knew very little about the CFB teams in Arizona. In fact, the biggest guy I know right now in Tucson is Mr. Rodriguez. However with the talent improving over there, that will soon change: They'll get another bowl berth, and watch for them in 2015.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mamba, I watch a ton of Oregon football, such an exciting team and so fun to watch. It seems to me that people are expecting a bust out year from Marshall and for him to get pretty much the majority of the carries. I personally think Tyner's a better tailback. Am I crazy? That kid is damn good. What are your thoughts on that?

I think Tyner has a higher ceiling. But I also believe Marshall is going to have a monster year.

The thing I like B4L. They are both good sized kids that can take a pop. They could both go over 1,000. Tyner has Unbelievable speed. He will have some eye popping plays.

I also think we will see one of the true Freshman Royce Freeman and or Tony James will get some carries and impress. Maybe even Kani Benoit. Last year the Ducks were thin at RB. This year they are loaded. And with the return of the entire OL they are in for some big numbers as a unit.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona State

Preview segment: The Arizona State Sun Devils

Last season: See, Todd Graham? That's what happens when you stay at a school for more than one year. The Sun Devils got 10 regular season wins, but most importantly won the PAC-12 South title.
Problem is Stanford ruined the experience for them 38-14, and then Texas Tech made them look lost in the Holiday Bowl. But at least the Sun Devils can have something to shoot for in 2014.

Good news: Taylor Kelly is back for one more fun year manning a strong offense (He's thrown 57 TD's the last two years), and the skill positions are also strong.

Bad news: Is there ANYBODY left on defense in Tempe? Only 2 starters return on that end, and Will Sutton is not one of them. But the biggest issue is the defensive line; mainly can the new kids keep up the high expectations that Todd has created?

Key games: 9/25 vs. UCLA (The Sun Devils should be 3-0 entering this Thursday night clash. 2 things are sure to happen: UCLA will remember how the Devils costed them the South division in Pasadena last year, and a ton of points will be scored.
10/4 @ USC (Southern Cal send Lane Kiffin to the unemployment line after Arizona State hung 62 on them).
10/18 vs. Stanford (Todd Graham and his team will be all-in for this one; losing to the Cardinal twice last year can do that to people).
11/15 @ Oregon State (I actually think the Sun Devils will beat Notre Dame on November 8th. The trick is to avoid the let-down and not blow the season in Corvallis).
11/28 @ Arizona (See my Arizona preview).

Bottom line: Sorry Tempe, you may score a hell of a lot of points, but that rebuilding defense means no PAC-12 South repeat for you. At least with Taylor leading the offense, you won't be boring and you'll get a pretty good bowl invite.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA

Preview segment: The UCLA Bruins

Last season: With Brett Hundley leading the offense and Jim Mora getting a firm grip on the program, UCLA went 10-3 and took the Sun Bowl. But this was just a precursor to what will happen in 2014. With USC and Stanford a little down this year, all of the talent in Pasadena can aim for the grand prize of the 4-team playoff.

Good news: Hundley's a great place to start, but the defense needs more publicity; the defensive backfield and the secondary is crawling with talent. And yes UCLA lost some receivers from 2013, but Mora's good at plugging in new guys to great effect.

Bad news: I don't want to jinx it, but what'll happen if Hundley goes down? A Plan B must be in Mora's cards in case the unthinkable happens, mainly because the schedule isn't easy by a long shot.

Key games: 9/13 vs. Texas [at Arlington] (Starting at Virginia? Not easy for the Bruins. Playing an unpredictable Longhorn team in "Jerry World"? Also not easy).
9/25 @ Arizona State (It's in Tempe, but the Bruins will be ready for war against the team that costed them the South in 2013).
10/11 vs. Oregon (Trust me, this is the first of 2 big games between the Ducks and the Bruins this year... and I see UCLA winning both of them).
11/22 vs. USC (The lucky Bruins get to host not only their cross-town rivals...)
11/28 vs. Stanford (...but the Cardinal as well! Granted, it'll take a grand effort for UCLA to beat both of them).:hope:

Bottom line: The schedule's hard, but the Bruins has the talent and the coaches to clear any hurdle standing in it's way. And with the new 4-team playoff format, UCLA can drop a game and still make it into the playoff with their first conference title since 1998.
But a little word of advice to Jim Mora and the Bruins: Southern Cal and Stanford won't be down for long, so if you want to win the PAC-12 and a national title, you gotta strike the iron while it's hot and do it NOW!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah

Preview segment: The Utah Utes

Last season: In 2004, a school from Salt Lake City became media darlings when they became the first "mid-major" conference to make a BCS game. After doing it again in 2008, they took that goodwill and joined the PAC-12. And so far, it's been a mixed success; Utah spent the last 2 years at home during bowl season.

Good news: After another 5-7 season, Kyle Whittingham brought in some new people to coach up the team. Hopefully this gives the running game a boost (the passing game will be good, so don't worry about that). Brian Blechen should help out the Utes secondary...

Bad news: ...and boy, do they need it; the secondary has to stop giving up the big play. The biggest worry is at the defensive line; injuries during the spring has made that spot dangerously thin.

Key games: 9/6 vs. Fresno State (I'm not fooled; the Utes will be looking to defend the shield of the PAC-12 in this one).
10/16 @ Oregon State (People are starting to get a little cynical about the Utes's chances in the PAC-12 [including me]. The first step in solving this problem? Winning nationally televised games like this).
10/25 vs. USC (The second step? Defeating a team you should not beat).
11/29 @ Colorado (Oh by the way Utes, there's another step: Don't lose to teams like Colorado. If you do, Whittingham will be in major trouble).

Bottom line: Yawn... Oh, pardon me, but I can't see much for Utah in 2014. And that's the key: They NEED to make people care again, and any big win in conference would be a good start.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford

Preview segment: The Stanford Cardinal

Last season: When things are good in college football at Stanford, they are REALLY good. This stretch of good fortune for Stanford led to Jim Harbaugh's breakout coaching role, Andrew Luck, BCS bowls, and most recently 2 straight PAC-12 titles.
2013 was more of the same with a 11-win season and a PAC-12 crown, but I bet that losses to USC and Michigan State kinda dampened the mood in Palo Alto. Well guess what Stanford haters: If you want to beat them, you got a chance to do it... a SMALL chance, but still a chance.

Bad news: Look at their schedule; all of their big games are on the road. And the offensive line has 4 new starters, which will not help whoever is the Cardinal's starter at running back. Some explosiveness on the offense will be needed to keep success going in Palo Alto.

Good news: However, David Shaw and his proud coaching staff can still use a pro-style attack to great results. Kevin Hogan and Ty Montgomery are ready to put up points, and Stanford has stockpiled talented players that can easily fill in any holes the team has.

Key games: 9/6 vs. USC (Guarantee you this will be on ABC prime-time TV come September 6th. And on Stanford's front, it's about redemption after the junk-food filled Trojans ruined their national title shot last year).
10/4 @ Notre Dame (After a trip to Washington, Stanford visits a place where they feel they got hosed 2 years ago. But I'm warning you Stanford; the Irish will beat you again if you dwell on the past).
11/1 @ Oregon (See my Oregon preview).
11/15 vs. Utah (A revenge game for Stanford. No more, no less).
11/28 @ UCLA (Oh lord... I can just envision these teams spilling blood in this match).

Bottom line: David Shaw is still there at Stanford, so the Cardinal will be fine. They have the talent to shoot for a "Big 6" bowl... but the schedule works against them, so pencil Oregon in for the North division.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern California

The final preview segment for the PAC-12 Conference: The USC Trojans

Last season: Like Texas, USC has been under a LOT of turmoil over the last few years. First it was that mess with Reggie Bush, then the team went from 2012 preseason #1 to a 7-6 finish, then Lane Kiffin was shown the door, then everyone wanted to have Ed Orgeron give them In n' Out Burgers, and finally Steve Sarkisian left Washington to return to L.A.
What's that? The Trojans had 10 wins last year? Well, that's the problem: Because of all this turmoil, nobody's paying attention to the team anymore, and that must change quickly.

Good news: Most of 2013's team returns, including a proud defense and Cody Kessler. Plus the fans will give Sarkisian a grace period; in their mind anyone's better than Kiffin. It's also the final year of those NCAA sanctions...

Bad news: ...but until then the Trojans must play smartly to avoid depth issues. Cody must do more to help USC win the big games, but he needs help from the O-line... which may be a very young unit this year.

Key games: 9/6 @ Stanford (As I mentioned earlier, Stanford will look for payback here. But as for USC, they'll look to retake control of the state of California here).
10/11 @ Arizona (The Trojans play Arizona State a week earlier, but in my opinion USC should be more worried about this one than the Sun Devils).
11/13 vs. California (Simply because I haven't mentioned this rivalry game once during my PAC-12 previews).
11/22 @ UCLA (Losing the last 2 against their most hated rivals is absolutely NOT sitting well with the Trojan faithful).
11/29 vs. Notre Dame (See above game).

Bottom line: I'm not fooled; Southern Cal is one of the biggest names in college football history. They'll get their act together, but they'll have to take a backseat in the national title race to UCLA...at least for 2014. But a fair warning to you: if Sarkisian gets the team rolling this year, the other teams in the PAC-12 South will be shaking in their boots come 2015.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction for the PAC-12

My predictions for the PAC-12 Conference:

PAC-12 North:
1. Oregon ("Big 6" bowl game)
2. Stanford (Maybe "Big 6" bowl game)
3. Washington (via tiebreaker)
4. Oregon State
5. Washington State
6. California

PAC-12 South:
1. UCLA (Conference champs, Playoff)
2. USC
3. Arizona State
4. Arizona
5. Utah
6. Colorado

And for the SEC fans in the audience, your long wait ends tomorrow! My SEC previews begins then, with Texas A&M going first.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Nike doesnt give Oregon money. Oregon has a contract with Nike that is not even the biggest in college sports( I think they are 3rd) Knight gives his money.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas A&M

The first preview segment for the Southeastern Conference: The Texas A&M Aggies

Last season: After playing with other Texas teams in the Southwest and Big 12 Conference, the Aggies took a gamble and went to the riches of the SEC. And so far for them, it's been glorious! They birthed the legacy of Johnny Manziel, they beat #1 Alabama in 2012, and continued to have fun in 2013.
But now Johnny is gone (he's now making everyone pee their knickers in Cleveland), and Kevin Sumlin and the school had a rough offseason. Will this be the year the Aggies pay the piper and get their tail kicked in by the other SEC teams?

Good news: Well, all of that incoming 5-star talent in College Station says no. Yes, the Aggies are still looking for a QB, but every other position on offense is ready to light up the scoreboard again. The special teams looks great as well.

Bad news: Of course we know about Manziel, but he wasn't the only dude to leave College Station. Jake Matthews also left for the NFL, and Sumlin kicked out a few players in the offseason citing legal issues. Also, the defense for A&M in 2013 was the worse in the SEC...

More good news: ...but it seeks to be much better; 9 starters return from that side of the ball.

Key games: 8/28 @ South Carolina (This is the reason why my mother's excited about Time Warner carrying the SEC Network: To see if the Aggies can surprise a SEC team right off the bat).
10/4 @ Mississippi State (This starts a hard October for the Aggies; they host Ole Miss the following week. But there's a chance that the Bulldogs can clip A&M before that happens).
10/18 @ Alabama (Let's just say that Nick Saban will remember all of those headaches Johnny Football gave him and his vaunted defense).
11/8 @ Auburn (Auburn fans started to get loud again after knocking A&M out of the national title race last year).
11/27 vs. LSU (This will air opposite Texas vs. TCU, which could make this the best Thanksgiving in Texas history [even if the Cowboys stink up the joint]).

Bottom line: I honestly don't know what's gonna happen to the Aggies this year. They'll either ride all of their new 5-star players to more wins in the SEC, or they'll self-destruct all over College Station, making Sumlin wish he'd had taken the USC job. One thing's for sure: We'll all be watching, 'cause this will be a fun ride one way or the other.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vanderbilt

Preview segment: The Vanderbilt Commodores

Last season: Confession time again, folks. I have NCAA Football '09 for the Wii (to tide me over until EA revives the franchise for the Wii U [We're still waiting, EA!]), and one of the teams I usually pick for Dynasty Mode is Vanderbilt. To me, it's way more satisfying to take a bottom-feeder school and turn it into a monster program. And I bet most of you did the same thing on your NCAA Football game.
So when Vanderbilt started to get success in real life, I bet they were ecstatic. Over the last 2 years they've won bowl games and beaten good teams (Vandy stunned Georgia and Florida last year), and even better, finished in the final Top 25 polls. But the architect of all this (James Franklin) is gone, off to Penn State. So what's next for this private school from Nashville?

Bad news: It wasn't just Franklin who left; do-everything WR Jordan Matthews is gone as well as people in the secondary. Only 1 wide receiver on the team has experience (the QB position has the same issue), and their non-conference slate has to be the weakest of any "Power 5" school in 2014.

Good news: However, this means that if the 'Dores swipe 2 SEC games they'll be bowling for the 4th straight year (which they have NEVER done). A strong O-line will help that young offense immensely, and the defensive front will punish anybody who underestimates them.

Key games: 9/6 vs. Ole Miss [in LP Field] (Pretty sneaky way to get a second straight home game against the Rebels, 'Dores. You rented LP Field, made Ole Miss the home team, and you get 8 home games in 2014 out of it).
10/4 @ Georgia (Oh no... I just know Georgia will beat the snot out of Vandy for last year's upset loss).
11/8 vs. Florida (This one's in Nashville, but like Georgia the Gators will want to slaughter Vandy for screwing up their season last year).
11/29 vs. Tennessee (Vandy's won 2 in a row in this rivalry. Go for it, Commodores! Go for the 3-peat and make those spoiled Volunteer fans cry into their peach cocktails!)

Bottom line: With Franklin gone (and taking most of his recruits with him), it's up to new coach Derek Mason to try to keep the good times going in Nashville. The relatively easy schedule and enough returning players will carry Vanderbilt in 2014, but watch them in 2015. That's when we'll see if Derek really is the man, and if Vandy really can sustain itself in football.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mississippi State

Preview segment: The Mississippi State University Bulldogs

Last season: Man, was Miss. St. lucky in 2013: They won their last 4 regular season wins (including the Egg Bowl over Ole Miss) by a TD or less. That led them to 6-6 and a Liberty Bowl win over Rice, and people in Starkville hope their team will make a bowl much earlier this year.

Good news: The defense was good in 2013, and a LOT of players return on that side (especially the D-line). And lookie lookie, folks! The offense looks good as well with Dak Prescott leading an experienced unit.

Bad news: With that much talent on offense, hopefully someone can help with special teams. In the SEC there's little room for error, and Evan Sobiesk really needs to either step up his game or let someone else get a turn at kicker. Oh, and the O-line needs to fill some holes.

Key games: 9/20 @ LSU (The Bulldogs should be 3-0 entering this game in Baton Rouge).
10/4 vs. Texas A&M (Don't give up on beating A&M, Bulldogs! You almost had them last year in College Station, and you'll have 2 weeks to prep for this).
10/11 vs. Auburn (But watch yourself, 'cause Nick Marshall and his Tigers are right afterwards).
11/15 @ Alabama (Don't be surprised if this has at least some bearing on the SEC West race).
11/29 @ Ole Miss (Last year's Egg Bowl was an awesome dramatic affair. Let's hope we'll get the same thing in Oxford in 2014).

Bottom line: With LSU rebuilding and Texas A&M an unknown commodity, Miss. State will be a team I'll be buying in 2014. They'll definitely be in a bowl, but how good of a bowl it will be will hinge on Miss St.'s ability to hang in maybe the hardest division in college sports... the SEC West.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Carolina

Preview segment: The South Carolina Gamecocks
Now before I begin, I'll warn you ahead of time: My mom is a BIG fan of the Gamecocks (I'm guessing it's because of coach Spurrier). But again, I'll try to remain unbiased. Now then...

Last season: Gamecock football had been hit or miss. They had Heisman winner George Rodgers and Top 20 finishes in the 1980's, but mostly it's been bad. So I bet they're ecstatic about former Florida coach Steve Spurrier still having some magic in the tank.
Last year it was a VERY rare 11-win season, including a Capital One bowl win. Now that South Carolina's flying first-class, it's time to take the final step: Compete for a national championship.

Good news: 8 starters return from the best offensive team the school has ever had, with Dylan Thompson still leading the charge. RB Mike Davis looks primed for a breakthrough season, the O-line is very strong, and the linebackers on the team are young but good.

Bad news: If something goes wrong with the secondary, it'll have to rely on true freshman to fill the holes. And maybe Spurrier should ask my mom about how he can replace Bruce Ellington, because I don't think anyone currently at the WR position can do it.

Key games: 8/28 vs. Texas A&M (See my Texas A&M preview).
9/13 vs. Georgia (This series has overtaken Florida/Tennessee as the best early SEC rivalry game. Expect more fireworks from a game that may decide the SEC East before October).
9/27 vs. Missouri (A little warning to Spurrier: You may be hosting Missouri, but they're gonna be red-hot for the heart-breaking you beat them last year).
10/25 @ Auburn (Maybe the most certain SEC loss for the Gamecocks this year... or maybe it could be their biggest win. Either way, they better focus on this and not the following game against Tennessee).
11/15 @ Florida (Always a hoot when Spurrier faces his former school).
11/29 @ Clemson (One of these days, Clemson's gonna beat the Gamecocks and retake the state. This may be their best chance to do it).

Bottom line: There are less questions about South Carolina than Georgia this season, so I can understand why everyone thinks they're gonna win the SEC East. And they host Georgia this year... ah, why not? Count me in on the Gamecocks getting to Atlanta.
But will they win their first-ever SEC crown? Hey, Spurrier got them to the title game once before, so don't be surprised if he finishes the job this time.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama

Preview segment: The University of Alabama Crimson Tide

Last season: A dark part of me wanted to see #1 Alabama go down so badly, but A.J McCarron, T.J. Yeldon, a usually tough defense, and Saban just didn't care. In fact, EVERYBODY had Bama penciled in for their 3rd straight BCS title game.

And then the Iron Bowl happened, where just a few little missteps on Bama's part ruined everything for them. Now in 2014 they're on a rare losing streak and forced to break in a untested quarterback.
Waitttttt a minute... Didn't Alabama go through the same thing in 2008 (losses to Florida and Utah ended that season)? And didn't Bama bounce back in 2009 to win that year's national championship? Uh oh...

Bad news: The O-line could be an issue at the beginning of the year for Bama, and so could the secondary (they must replace 3 starters). And my money's on Jacob Coker to be Bama's starting QB, but can the former Florida State QB fill the shoes of McCarron?

Good news: But all of that was just nitpicking. Come on, people! Saban's still there, and for the 4th year in a row he's bringing in the best talent in the nation. Expect a lot of youngsters to step up in ALL of those positions of concern. Also last time I checked, T.J. Yeldon and Amari Cooper are sill there. And doubt the defense at your own risk.

2014 X-factor: :omg:! Auburn and the rest of the SEC, you've made Nick Saban mad! The last 2 times Saban didn't win a national title at Bama (2008 and 2010), his teams ran roughshod the following year in reclaiming the throne. So if Saban gets his new players rolling, you've better duck.

Key games: 8/30 vs. West Virginia [in Atlanta] (West Virginia might not do much this year, but that's not the point to Saban. To him, it's about starting off the year with a win over a big name school).
9/20 vs. Florida (A little warning to Saban: The 2014 Gators will be better than 2013's 4-8. Just saying).
10/4 @ Ole Miss (Alabama has 2 weeks to prep for this, but the Rebels will be dying for a breakthrough win in the SEC West).
11/8 @ LSU (LSU has been the most consistent challenger to the Crimson Tide since Nick Saban came to Tuscaloosa. If this game isn't good this year, we'll all be disappointed).
11/29 vs. Auburn (It's the Iron Bowl. Duh.)

Bottom line: Well, with the QB problems, questions with the secondary, and uh... uhhhhh... :gaah:
OH, I CAN'T DO IT! I JUST CAN'T DO IT! I can't go against the Crimson Tide this year! They'll be on a revenge-filled crusade to reclaim the title, and those names on offense plus always-hard Kirby Smart-led defense and a WAY easier schedule than Auburn means they're my pick to win the whole thing in 2014.

Sorry, but in my opinion you just don't say no to an angry Nick Saban.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn

Preview segment: The Auburn Tigers

Last season: This was what Auburn fans were thinking after LSU defeated them: "Darn it. Well, we ARE in a rebuilding year, with Malzahn getting everything back together."

After Auburn won at Texas A&M: "All right! Malzahn's got something here! This may be a fun year after all!"

After Auburn won the Iron Bowl over Alabama: "OMG OMG OMG WE'RE THE GREATEST TEAM IN THE WHOLE OF HUMAN HISTORY!!! WE'RE NAMING OUR NEXT SONS GUS OR TRE!! PARTY IN THE DORMS, OMG!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!

Okay, that last one was uncalled for. But you can't blame Auburn fans for being so insufferable near the end of 2013. Picked to finish near the bottom of the SEC West, they instead cranked up their running game and got a few miracle wins on route to the SEC title. And they were only mere seconds away from giving the SEC it's 8th straight national title.
Now here's the million-dollar question: What the *bleep* are these guys gonna do for an encore?

Good news: One of the architects of 2013's grand run Nick Marshall is back, along with a strong O-line and tailbacks that can break loose at any time. The defense looks to be more vicious (they were 86th in total defense last year), especially the D-line.

Bad news: Thanks to their miracle run, everyone will take Auburn seriously again. And thanks to their schedule, that's gonna be a BAD thing; Auburn may have more talent, but Bama's got talent AND a easier slate. The secondary must get WAY better, and the O-line's strong but will miss Jay Prosch (who helped them immensely last year).
Oh, and did I mention they have to visit both Bama AND Georgia in November? Good luck with that.

Key games: 9/18 @ Kansas State ( :omg:! A SEC team having a big non-conference game ON THE ROAD! THAT'S an innovative concept!)
10/4 vs. LSU (The annual "Battle of the SEC Tigers" has Auburn ready to smite a rebuilding LSU team. But the Tigers better save some energy, 'cause a trip to Miss St. is right afterwards...)
10/25 vs. South Carolina (...then the Gamecocks [but to be fair, the Tigers get 2 weeks to prep for it], and then a trip to Ole Miss).
11/15 @ Georgia (Georgia will be REALLY angry in this installment of a fantastic rivalry series. Because not only did they lose to Auburn on a tipped Hail Mary last year, but thanks to the Iron Bowl finish NOBODY even remembered it!)
11/29 @ Alabama (Trust me on this: If Nick Marshall and Gus Malzahn pulls a Cam Newton and win in Bryant-Denny, at least one more street in Auburn will be renamed in their honor... Maybe even an entire city block).

Bottom line:The playoff committee can now pick as many SEC teams for "Big 6" bowls as they want, and with the talent and the momentum in Auburn right now, count on Auburn getting one of those 12 spots. But the lack of a accommodating schedule, combined with both an angry Nick Saban and a unhappy Georgia squad, means we can wave bye-bye to Auburn getting a return shot at the title this year.
But the Auburn Tigers made us college football prognosticators look like morons once before, so you never know...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky

Preview segment: The Kentucky Wildcats

Last season: Appalling. The Wildcats went 2-10, had no SEC wins, and their only FBS win was to 0-12 Miami-Ohio.

Good news: The defense looks to be much better than last year's, especially with a versatile secondary ready to go. Coach Mike Stoops wants better play at the D-line, and looks to get it with a couple of returning starters.

Bad news: But all of that won't mean squat if they can't score, and a QB battle that's still going on (between 3 QB's that have never started a game) can make the "Air Raid" attack go splat. Plus, have you SEEN the other SEC teams? I have no idea how Kentucky is gonna keep up with them.

Key games: 9/13 @ Florida (The first major test for Kentucky's 2014 offense... and whoever's leading the attack).
10/4 vs. South Carolina (After playing Vandy, the Cats deal with Spurrier. And he needs to be careful; Kentucky nearly beat his team last year in Columbia).
11/15 @ Tennessee (Wait a minute... this game may not be a total loss for Kentucky. After all, they actually won the last time they played in Knoxville).
11/29 @ Louisville (Louisville's move to the ACC has had a little benefit on this rivalry. Now it can be a part of the ACC vs. SEC end-of-season challenge that happens every year).

Bottom line: Stoops is trying his hardest to get the Wildcats SOME momentum in the SEC, so let's leave him to his work. But I'm just reminding him of this; if he doesn't give Lexington something to cheer for early on, everyone will just leave Commonwealth Stadium to camp out for their true religion at the school: John Calipari.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arkansas

Preview segment: The Arkansas Razorbacks

Last season: Things seemed okay for Arkansas in 2013; they started 3-0 and Alex Collins was starting to become a young force in the running game. But then they lost to Rutgers for the second year in a row, and they cried like a baby for the rest of the year... all the way to no SEC wins and a 3-9 record.
Now that the weeping is over, can the Razorbacks reverse 2 season of having the worst luck of all the teams in the FBS?

Good news: In terms of individual talent, Arkansas's got it. 3 running backs that can run like hell, a not-bad offensive line, a QB in Brandon Allen, and the defensive end position looks rock-solid.

Bad news: Brandon must prove he can play well in the big games, and the rest of the defense is still under construction. But the biggest problem is the attitude in Fayetteville; coach Bielema has to get everyone on the same page after things went bats--t crazy in 2012.

Key games: 8/30 @ Auburn (This is absolutely NOT the way Arkansas wanted to start the season: Getting their tails kicked by a fully-loaded Auburn squad).
9/27 vs. Texas A&M [in Arlington] (A&M's arrival in the SEC not only has given the conference inroads in the state of Texas, but has also revived this old-school rivalry game).
10/11 vs. Alabama (The Hogs get 2 weeks to steel themselves for the Crimson Tide. But facing the Tide isn't the problem...)
10/18 vs. Georgia [in Little Rock] (it's this game right afterwards. And let's not fool ourselves here; Georgia will be good this year).
11/15 vs. LSU (The "Battle for the Golden Boot" has always been a crowd-pleaser over the years. And despite their awfulness, Arkansas nearly stunned the Bayou Bengals last year).

Bottom line: In the monster-eat-monster world of the present-day SEC, Bielema HAS to improve Arkansas's mood if they want to get anywhere. But unlike Kentucky, Arkansas's struggles in 2014 won't be because of lack of talent or lack of coaching. It'll just be trying to fit round pegs (their improvement) into square holes (their hard schedule).

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisiana State

Preview segment: The LSU Tigers

Last season: 10-3, but something just didn't seem right with these set of Tigers. At least they didn't lose any of their games at home.

Good news: It sounds like the Baton Rouge fans have finally laid off the greatest crazy football coach working the sidelines today. Les Miles may be absolutely bonkers, but he can coach; the defense is strong as always. Plus, the offensive line will be hard as a rock...

Bad news: ...which is good for a team with uncertainty all over the place. Not only did 6 players get drafted, but the all-important QB job is still up for grabs.

Key games: 8/30 vs. Wisconsin [in Houston] (I'm not fooled, LSU. You'll be ready to beat up another big-league team right off the bat).
10/4 @ Auburn (Once again, "this battle of the SEC Tigers" should be good. But be careful LSU, because... well, you know why).
10/11 @ Florida (Ah, life in the SEC! One week you're in Auburn, then BAM! You're in Gainesville dealing with a desperate Gators team seeking redemption).
10/25 vs. Ole Miss (The rivalry now known as "The Battle on Magnolia Lane" WILL have casualties... like last year's game in Oxford).
11/8 vs. Alabama (Again, LSU has been Alabama's #1 problem in recent years... which means the fans will be on Miles to give the Tigers their first win over the Tide in 3 years).

Bottom line: If only LSU was someplace other than the SEC West... then they would dominate. But the team's good enough to reload year after year, so they'll be fine... just not fine enough to win the division.