• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My college football previews 2014

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missouri

Preview segment: Missouri Tigers football

Last season: Before I begin with this team, let me ask you guys something. I want you to raise your hand if you had the Missouri Tigers making it to the SEC Championship game last season. Seriously guys, raise your hands... that's right, raise your hands if you did.

Okay, now stay like that until the werewolves in my basement comes over and tears your lying @$$ limb from limb.
But seriously, after going 5-7 in their first SEC season, NOBODY had Missouri winning the East division and finishing 12-2... nobody except the space aliens that also had Auburn in that same title game.

Bad news: Of course, with a surprise season comes a unwanted side effect: Everybody will now take you seriously. Missouri lost a couple of studs on defense and lost experience at the O-line, and even though it was the right thing to do (because of his assault charges), kicking Dorial Green-Beckham off the team will not help the passing game.

Good news: However, new QB Maty Mauk can. He's already well versed in the Missouri offense, and he's got a lot of help with a strong running game. Even better, they don't have to face either Alabama OR Auburn on their schedule.

Key games: 9/13 vs. UCF (A strong opponent for the Tigers to test themselves, or a game that looks good on paper but will be totally one-sided? The Knights will make the call in their visit to Columbia).
9/27 @ South Carolina (Speaking of Columbia, this game will be jam-packed with emotion as Missouri starts conference play with a chance to avenge last year's heart-breaker. Wait... I smell a brand-new SEC rivalry game!)
10/18 @ Florida (After dealing with Georgia 7 days earlier, the Tigers play another game that may enhance their SEC chances... or ruin it if the Gators extract revenge).
11/15 @ Texas A&M (Last year's win over Johnny Football pushed Missouri into the SEC title game. And I really don't know what A&M will do this year, but I DO know they'll want to repay the favor).

Bottom line: Missouri should calm down; yes they lost some players, but there's still a lot to cheer for here. I don't think they can repeat in the East (thanks to Georgia and South Carolina), but another fine season and a New Year's Day game is in the works.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preview segment: The Iowa Hawkeyes

Last season: After going through a couple of years of growing pains, Iowa returned to the national scene with a 8-4 regular season. And despite losing some people, they can challenge for the new Big 10 West crown.

Good news: I honestly thought Iowa was going to beat LSU in last season's Outback Bowl, mostly because of their Top-10 defense. Quite a few starters return from that unit, and the offense should be fine; the RB position over there is VERY deep.

Bad news: As I mentioned earlier, Iowa's defense will be good. It'll just take time to get going as they must replace starters in the secondary and the D-line. And Iowa must find some explosiveness on offense to break through in the Big 10...

More good news: ...but this year (at least) Iowa won't have to deal with Ohio St. or Michigan St.

Key games: 9/13 vs. Iowa State (See my Iowa St. preview).
9/20 @ Pittsburgh (Like some of the Big 10 teams I already mentioned, Iowa must win big games out-of-conference).
10/18 @ Maryland (Iowa vs. Maryland doesn't sound all that exciting, doesn't it? And that's why I think Iowa will be in big trouble in College Park).
11/22 vs. Wisconsin (Like Wisconsin, Iowa will thrive on no-names working for the good of the team... and that's why this game will ultimately decide the division).
11/28 vs. Nebraska (Um, Hawkeyes? I've kinda angered the Huskers yesterday, so if you can could you beat them like you did last year and make them shut up? Thanks so much).

Bottom line: The casual fan cannot name a Iowa Hawkeyes player off the top of their heads... which is why they'll stay with Wisconsin in the Big 10 West race until the bitter end.

The only thing I disagree with is "The Bad" segment. Iowa's defense will hurt the most at LB position, as they are replacing 3 very good-great LBs.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee

Preview segment: The Tennessee Volunteers

Last season: Okay, listen. During my Vanderbilt preview I said something about football fans in Knoxville being spoiled and unreasonable, but I just found out that isn't true. That's because Tennessee isn't the only one; nearly EVERY southern city with a SEC school has been spoiled rotten recently.
And there's also the fact that I do understand why fans of the Vols are so crazy: They've haven't won anything big since 2007, and last year was the 3rd straight season they didn't play in a bowl AT ALL.

Good news: The secondary looks to be good, and the passing HAS to be better than last year's 109th overall finish.

Bad news: Well my god, where do you start? The QB position doesn't install confidence for me, the WR's are good but pretty young, and the Vols will be one of those teams that somehow misses their placekicker from last year. But maybe this should scare you away from the Vols in 2014: They must replace BOTH the entire O-line AND the entire D-line from last year.

Key games: 9/13 @ Oklahoma (On paper [at least], it looks like one of those games where fans everywhere will glue themselves to their couch to watch it).
9/27 @ Georgia (This rivalry has always, and I mean ALWAYS, given us great games).
10/4 vs. Florida (The Vols haven't beaten Florida since 2004. Combine that with Alabama beating them every year since 2006, and you have another reason why Knoxville fans are so irritable).
11/1 @ South Carolina (Speaking of Alabama, the Vols host them on Oct. 25... and then visit a Gamecock team seeking revenge right afterwards).
11/29 @ Vanderbilt (Maybe the biggest reason why the Vols are unhappy is Vandy beating them 2 straight times. If the 'Dores make it 3 straight, coach Butch Jones might not get fired, but he'll be in the doghouse all offseason).

Bottom line: Sorry Tennessee, but I call them like I see them, and all-new offensive and defensive lines in the mean and dirty SEC equals more struggles for you [and no bowl berth... again]. That said, I'm sorry for calling you spoiled, so I'll see you later...
...you bunch of sore losers.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mississippi

Preview segment: The Ole Miss Rebels

Last year: In 2013, I wanted to tell Ole Miss fans to slow down a little, mainly because they were thinking SEC West contention... when they had just snapped a 16-game conference losing streak the year before.
That being said, good for the Rebels for their 8-5 season in 2013. After a couple of awkward years, you seem to be back on solid ground. And now that you have momentum, NOW you can challenge for the SEC West crown.

Good news: After a couple of bad years, the Rebels are starting to look like an SEC team again. 9 starters return from 2013's team, including Robert Nkemdiche and a ton more players that filled in beautifully when injuries threaten to ruin 2013. Bo Wallace is back too, along with his top 2 rushers.

Bad news: Problem is, Bo may be in trouble early on because of a O-line that lost QUITE a few people. The receiving core must prove themselves after a couple of people left, and the schedule isn't the easiest in the world.

Key games: 8/28 vs. Boise State [in Atlanta] (A nationally-televised win can really help the upstart Rebels. Last year it was Texas, and now it's the Broncos's turn to get smoked).
10/4 vs. Alabama (Ole Miss hasn't beaten the Tide [at least without the NCAA's help] since 2004. If they're gonna beat them, now's the time to do it).
10/25 @ LSU (Uh Rebels... I hope you remember what you did to LSU last year, 'cause LSU will).
11/1 vs. Auburn (So lucky! Not only do Ole Miss host the Tide, they can clip Auburn in Oxford, too! So lucky...)
11/29 vs. Mississippi State (I'll be blunt here, Ole Miss blew a chance to send their in-state rivals home for the holidays last year. Good luck in this Egg Bowl, Bulldogs).

Bottom line: They've got the coach, they getting back the talent, and now it's time for the breakthrough. And since they host both 'Bama and Auburn, don't be surprised if Ole Miss beats at least one of them. I see at least a 3rd place finish in the crowded SEC West.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm almost done!

I can't believe it... I only have 2 teams left on my preview slate! And those 2 are the kids playing the Georgia/Florida game, so tune in tomorrow when I finally finish my preview of all 128 FBS teams.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preview segment: The Texas Longhorns

Last season: Some people thought that with the raw talent in Austin, the Longhorns had a chance to win the Big 12. And you know what? They almost did as they stunned the Sooners and only had 1 conference loss before Baylor took them out in the end.
But almost nobody cared about the product on the field; they were too busy throwing fire on Mack Brown and making him uncomfortable (and it worked as he retired after Oregon whacked Texas in the Holiday Bowl). Still, Mack deserves credit for bringing the Longhorns from the realms of mediocrity to a national title and in-state dominance, as well as getting the university it's own incredibly disreSPECTFUL TV NETWORK THAT IS SINGLEHANDLY RUINING COLLEGE ATHLETICS AS WE KNOW IT!! They were like, "Hey ESPN, we'll give you 300 million dollars to promote our university at the expense of ABSOLUTELY EVERY OTHER COLLEGE PROGRAM OUT THERE!" DAMN YOU, ESPN, FOR KOWTOWING TO THESE MISER...

Huh? What, what? Oh, sorry, I got carried away. You see, I have a little hatred for the Longhorns because of their "Longhorn Network" (and because they shouldn't have won the 2009 Big 12 title against Nebraska. "There's time for one more play, my @$$").
Huh? Oh, right right, 2014 for Texas.

Good news: Texas fans should calm down; there's still great talent in Austin like RB Malcolm Brown. Plus, 17 starters return from 2013 which will help with the the transition from Mack Brown to Charlie Strong...

Bad news: ...and David Ash. HA HA HA HA! Longhorn fans still think he can be a good QB? HA HA HA HA HA! Ahem, but in all seriousness Charlie should temper expectations for 2014 simply because of the uncertainty at the QB position; David could lose his job to a youngster very early in the season.

Key games: 9/13 vs. UCLA [in Arlington] (These 2 teams don't play often, but when they do it's always a hoot).
10/4 vs. Baylor (This will be Baylor's first real test of 2014, which may not work out in Texas's favor).
10/11 vs. Oklahoma (The Sooners were only 90% into last year's game, and it showed. Thankfully for 2014's game, BOTH teams will be 100% into this).
11/1 @ Texas Tech (This one's after a trip to Kansas State, and by this time we'll know what Charlie Strong has cooking in Austin).
11/8 vs. West Virginia (These 2 teams put on quite a show last year in Morgantown [that Texas won 47-40]. And it wouldn't have been possible had the Mountaineers not joined because the Big 12 almost self-destructed because Texas weRE BEING GREEDY SELF-INDULGENT MORONS! THEY WERE ALL LIKE "Hey Nebraska and the rest of the Big 12, ---K YOU! WE'RE NOT SHARING ANY OF OUR MONEY WITH YOU GUYS! HA HA!" That forced Nebraska to leave the Big 12, starting the conference carousel that almost RUINED FOOTBALL AS WE KNOW IT! YOU HAPPY NOW, TEXAS, YOU ARROGANT BAS...

Whoa whoa whoa... I let my dark side get the best of me again. :L Okay, where was I...
11/27 vs. TCU (The Longhorns are keeping Thanksgiving college football alive, and everyone's happier for it).

Bottom line: Texas is the ultimate wild card of the whole 2014 season. NOBODY knows what's gonna happen; the talent's still there, but Charlie Strong must prove he can lead this huge program (this isn't Louisville by a long shot, Mr. Strong) and get better play from the quarterbacks.
One thing's for sure: We'll all be watching, and so will 5-star recruits that'll want to be part of this mecca in Austin... as well as my dark side.

Well, I don't even know what to say to that.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia

Preview segment: The Georgia Bulldogs

Last season: Let me share with you guys one of college football's ultimate truths. I didn't make the rule, I just know it goes like this: If you're a coach in the SEC conference and you're not in the national title race, you're ALWAYS one mistake away from being fired.
And Georgia coach Mark Richt knows this all too well. Ever since his team started #1 in 2008 and didn't win it all, the fans in Athens have been watching him like a hawk, just waiting for him to screw things up. To be fair, losing in the Gator Bowl to an not-really-good Nebraska team didn't do Mark any favors.

Bad news: Aaron Murray's officially gone from Athens, and the offensive line must be rebuild.

Good news: However, there's still a good chance that Georgia can win the East. Aaron's replacement Hutson Mason has game experience, the depth at the offensive skill positions are second to none, and Georgia's doing everything to shake up a defense that underachieved last season.

Key games: 8/30 vs. Clemson (I think I mentioned earlier about how this game last year was the first great one of 2013, and that Clemson won on their home turf. Guess what Georgia wants to do here?)
9/13 @ South Carolina (See my South Carolina preview).
10/11 @ Missouri (Losing to Missouri in Athens REALLY must sting the Bulldogs, 'cause guess who won the East last year?)
11/1 vs. Florida [in Jacksonville] (More on this game when I preview the Gators).
11/15 vs. Auburn (Deep South's oldest rivalry game... and another beauty of a game beckons us, CFB faithful).
11/29 vs. Georgia Tech (Beating the Yellow Jackets over and over again is one of the reasons why Athens fans haven't ran Mark out of town yet).

Bottom line: That statement I made at the beginning of this preview isn't a knock on Richt, it's a knock on the impatient fans in Athens. Despite losing some big players, you guys will have another great team that'll push the Gamecocks in the SEC East. So leave that poor man Mark alone, PLEASE!

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, nicely done Dolgevillefootballfan! (except for rant against evil Texas, but that's okay)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida

The long-awaited, final preview segment of the 2014 college football season: The Florida Gators

Last season: Man oh man... I bet the Florida Gators made a LOT of people look really stupid at the end of the 2013 season (Almost as many as Auburn did). Expected to contend for another big-league bowl game, Will Muschamp instead saw his squad lose to Miami, Missouri, and Georgia F---ing Southern. But right next to Georgia Southern on the "embarrassment scale" is losing by 17 to Vanderbilt! AT HOME! And that's why Muschamp's on the hot seat right now.
But then again, injuries wiped out a lot of his players in 2013. And some of those players led Florida to the Sugar Bowl 2 years ago. So we'll see what Muschamp can do with all of his players back.

Bad news: As I just mentioned, Florida players made a lot of friends in the hospital, and those injured players will be question marks to me until they prove otherwise. That's not good for a coach now sweating bullets, and to make things worse he MAY have to rely on freshman in the secondary. The O-line's pretty young, too.

Good news: Driskel's back to lead the offense, and Vernon Hargreaves will really help that young secondary. The D-line looks solid as a rock, and the running game will absolutely be much better than last year's 87th overall finish.

Key games: 9/20 @ Alabama (The Gators should be 3-0 entering a game that everyone in the South will absolutely drool all over).
10/11 vs. LSU (The fans are hoping Florida takes care of Tennessee again, 'cause they want their team at 100% for this always bruising game).
10/18 vs. Missouri (Fans in Gainesville didn't really panic last year until Missouri took them out en-route to the SEC title game).
11/1 vs. Georgia [in Jacksonville] (Just like the "Iron Bowl", "Deep South Oldest's Rivalry", and LSU/Alabama, this rivalry ALWAYS delivers in drama. And with both teams desperate to reclaim the SEC East from South Carolina and Missouri, another classic looks to be coming).
11/15 vs. South Carolina (Emotions always run high when Spurrier returns to the stadium he himself nicknamed "The Swamp").
11/29 @ Florida State (Say what you will about last year's game, but it had drama and the #1 team in the land. This year's game may be in Tallahassee, but expect a closer game than 37-7).

Bottom line: So many things worked against Muschamp in 2013, but as a consequence the Gators will come into this season angry and determined. I don't think Muschamp will be fired after the season, but the Gamecocks and Bulldogs are too strong to overtake in the SEC East... at least right now.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction for the SEC

My predictions for the Southeastern Conference:

SEC East:
1. South Carolina ("Big 6" bowl game)
2. Georgia
3. Missouri (via tiebreaker)
4. Florida
5. Vanderbilt
6. Tennessee
7. Kentucky

SEC West:
1. Alabama (Conference and national champions)
2. Auburn ("Big 6" bowl game)
3. Ole Miss
4. LSU
5. Mississippi State
6. Texas A&M (due to all the uncertainty)
7. Arkansas

And tomorrow, it'll be time for my final round of predictions... and it's the ones you've been waiting for: My picks for the "Big 6" bowl games!
By the way, you guys can continue posting on this thread, but after tomorrow I'll be done. Don't worry though, I'll make new preview (and recap) threads every week from the first week of the season all the way to the championship game. So stay tuned for all that, okay?

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 6 bowl game predictions

And finally, it's time for my predictions on who makes the "Big 6" games:

Playoff: Florida State vs. UCLA (Rose Bowl)
Alabama vs. Ohio State (Sugar Bowl)
Alabama over Florida State in the championship game​

Peach Bowl: Marshall vs. Michigan State (The C-USA champions and the representative of the "Group of Five" gets it's shot at a brushing Spartans team).
Orange Bowl: South Carolina vs. Oklahoma (Spurrier FINALLY gets the Gamecocks into a big-league bowl, with the Sooners waiting for them).
Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs. Clemson (Clemson is my final team to get into a "Big 6" bowl. The Ducks have some history with big bowl games in the Southwest).
Cotton Bowl: Baylor vs. Auburn (2 high-octane offenses fighting each other in "Jerry World". You know the people in Arlington wants this before they host the title game).

Annnndddd, that's it! I'm done with the predictions. This will be the last post I do for this thread. You guys can go ahead and continue it if you want, but as for me, I'll start a new thread come August 27th when the FBS season officially begins! I'll see you then, but for now, Dolgevillefootballfan is going home...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoops, hold on folks!

Damn it, Braxton Miller! Thanks to your injury, I now have to switch around my playoff picks!

Ohio St.'s not gonna make the 4-team playoff now, but this isn't a slam on Braxton ('cause I feel terrible about his right shoulder injury). No, this is because there's now a much bigger chance Ohio State loses a big game in the somewhat weak Big-10 conference, and when that happens, it'll be all she wrote.

So, now what will happen? I need to sleep on it, but tomorrow I'll have my updated playoff predictions.

Oh, and if Braxton Miller sees this, let him know I wish him well in his recovery.​

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated playoff predictions

Okay. I slept on it, and it's time for my updated predictions on who makes the "Big 6" games:

Playoff: Florida State vs. Baylor (Rose Bowl)
Alabama vs. UCLA (Sugar Bowl)
Alabama over Florida State in the championship game​

Peach Bowl: Marshall vs. Michigan State (The C-USA champions and the representative of the "Group of Five" gets it's shot at a brushing Spartans team).
Orange Bowl: South Carolina vs. Ohio State (Spurrier FINALLY gets the Gamecocks into a big-league bowl. As for the Buckeyes, they got enough talent left to win the Big 10 and get a return trip to Miami).
Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs. Clemson (Clemson is my final team to get into a "Big 6" bowl. The Ducks have some history with big bowl games in the Southwest).
Cotton Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Auburn (I elevated Baylor to an unlikely playoff berth, mainly because I see them beating the Sooners and winning the Big 12. That means Oklahoma will fill in for the Bears against the battle-tested Tigers from Auburn).

Remember, these are only predictions. The only way we'll know who makes the 4-team playoff is to watch it all unfold. And throughout the season, I'll give you threads for every week of the season, starting next Wednesday!

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preview segment: The Utah Utes

Last season: In 2004, a school from Salt Lake City became media darlings when they became the first "mid-major" conference to make a BCS game. After doing it again in 2008, they took that goodwill and joined the PAC-12. And so far, it's been a mixed success; Utah spent the last 2 years at home during bowl season.

Good news: After another 5-7 season, Kyle Whittingham brought in some new people to coach up the team. Hopefully this gives the running game a boost (the passing game will be good, so don't worry about that). Brian Blechen should help out the Utes secondary...

Bad news: ...and boy, do they need it; the secondary has to stop giving up the big play. The biggest worry is at the defensive line; injuries during the spring has made that spot dangerously thin.

Key games: 9/6 vs. Fresno State (I'm not fooled; the Utes will be looking to defend the shield of the PAC-12 in this one).
10/16 @ Oregon State (People are starting to get a little cynical about the Utes's chances in the PAC-12 [including me]. The first step in solving this problem? Winning nationally televised games like this).
10/25 vs. USC (The second step? Defeating a team you should not beat).
11/29 @ Colorado (Oh by the way Utes, there's another step: Don't lose to teams like Colorado. If you do, Whittingham will be in major trouble).

Bottom line: Yawn... Oh, pardon me, but I can't see much for Utah in 2014. And that's the key: They NEED to make people care again, and any big win in conference would be a good start.

Well there were no injuries on the DL this spring. It was two of our LB's Hale & Paul.
I think the Key game is Michigan on the road. I agree with the Oregon State game. And theirs another one, we need to beat Oregon this year at home. People care here, we had a 98% return on our season ticket holders which is around 40,000 then the general public scooped up the last 3,000 and the other 2,000 goes to visiting team. :boss:

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. I slept on it, and it's time for my updated predictions on who makes the "Big 6" games:

Playoff: Florida State vs. Baylor (Rose Bowl)
Alabama vs. UCLA (Sugar Bowl)
Alabama over Florida State in the championship game

Orange Bowl: South Carolina vs. Ohio State (Spurrier FINALLY gets the Gamecocks into a big-league bowl. As for the Buckeyes, they got enough talent left to win the Big 10 and get a return trip to Miami).
Cotton Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Auburn (I elevated Baylor to an unlikely playoff berth, mainly because I see them beating the Sooners and winning the Big 12. That means Oklahoma will fill in for the Bears against the battle-tested Tigers from Auburn).

Remember, these are only predictions. The only way we'll know who makes the 4-team playoff is to watch it all unfold. And throughout the season, I'll give you threads for every week of the season, starting next Wednesday!

halfbaked-boo.gif

homer-flip-off.gif

:lol: