• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My college football previews 2014

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem.

The rest of your stuff is pretty well spot on when looking at the patterns of the Pelini era. He's struggled to put all the pieces together like good head coaches do. Basic player fundamentals and discipline of the game seem to escape his preparation routine. For a couple of years now I've felt he's better suited as a follower as opposed to a leader. He reached his apex as a defensive coordinator relying on his bosses to put together a complete game plan.

Your statement "9/20 vs. Miami (Miami sees this game as a nostalgia piece. Problem is, Nebraska will not; they NEED to win some big non-conference games).".... is the scary part.

Those are the very games Pelini loses. It's his 4 losses a year. The one's where Nebraska has to take it to the next level. Unfortunately the players come out of the locker room looking like they're lost, like they haven't practiced all week. To me that's either a sign of over preparation, conflicting preparation, or lack of player confidence in the game plan.
The vast majority of their other games they play flat and down to the opponents level. They can't get out of their own way.

Your point about them having talent is correct. They do. The problem is that talent not being where they're supposed to be on the field.

Nebraska also hasn't been very good up front on either side of the ball. You're not gonna beat many 9+ win Power 5 teams like that.

We shall see if Pelini has learned how to be an elite head coach after 6 full years on the job. My money says no, because I don't think those traits are learned. I believe they are inherent.
Anybody can tell people what to do and have expectations for them. To get the finest out of those people you're leading is something entirely different.

Dude, that was beautiful.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State

Preview segment: The Michigan State Spartans

Last season: Sometimes it takes just a spark to make something happen, and that's what happened to Michigan State. The MINUTE they found a hint of offense (Connor Cook at quarterback), they shoved Ohio State out of the BCS title game for their first stand-alone Big 10 title since the late 80's. Winning the Rose Bowl was just the cherry on the sundae for the Spartans in 2013, but now their fans are expecting another one.

Good news: The Spartans finished #3 in the final 2013 A.P poll, and the QB that gave them that (the aforementioned Cook) is back, and he's got a huge stockpile of weapons on offense. The defense has been brilliant the last few years, and looks to be good again with Shilique Calhoun leading the way...

Bad news: ...but coach Dantonio has to be careful as the defense must plug holes at linebacker and secondary. But the biggest issue might just be at offensive line; 3 of these unsung heroes of the Big 10 title game and the Rose Bowl are gone.

Key games: 9/6 @ Oregon (Maybe the most anticipated non-conference game of 2014 puts a high-flying Oregon squad against a quietly-confident Spartan team... and I'm scared that Oregon is gonna clean Mich St.'s clock here).
10/4 vs. Nebraska (I may have been a little mean to Nebraska, but they still got the talent to beat a powerful school and return to prominence. Hopefully Michigan State will remember that).
10/25 vs. Michigan (Hey Michael Hart, do you have a time machine? Ever since you've called the Spartans your "little brother", Michigan has beaten them only once since 2008).
11/8 vs. Ohio State (Like I said yesterday, get your tickets for this game NOW: Ohio State will be ready to extract revenge, and the Spartans want to repeat as Big 10 champs).
11/29 @ Penn State (The Land Grant Trophy match-up could be a deadly end-of-season trap for the Spartans if they're not ready).

Bottom line: The tools are there, but will Michigan State survive everyone's best shot... including Ohio St. and a trip to Oregon? A "Big 6" bowl could come to the Spartans if the defense rebuilds quickly... and the offense proves they can play a full 12 games.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan

The final preview segment for the Big 10 Conference: The Michigan Wolverines

Last season: One of the most iconic college football programs continues to have issues, as after starting 5-0 the Wolverines just imploded with a 2-6 finish. Chalk it up to bad luck (Iowa), not making the big play (Ohio St.), or just plain ineptitude (Kansas St. in their bowl game), but Ann Arbor is not hot right now... and that means Brady Hoke is in BIG trouble over there.

Good news: It took a while, but Hoke finally found a proud throwing QB in Devin Gardner. Devin will be a calming force on a very-young offense, and the defense has proud talent on the defensive front.

Bad news: Brady Hoke might not be on the hottest seat in the country (I'm looking at you, Muschamp), but he's VERY close; the fans in Ann Arbor are now very restless. And it may get worse for Brady; he's on his 3rd defensive coordinator, and the O-line is still in terrible disarray...

More good news: ...but if Brady survives, he could have a great 2015; only 10 seniors are on the 2014 squad.

Key games: 9/6 @ Notre Dame (As I mentioned 7 weeks ago, this will be the last time in a while the Wolverines play the Irish. Brady will get some breathing room with the fans if Michigan beats Notre Dame again).
9/20 vs. Utah (Michigan wants to exorcise some demons that ruined previous seasons; they play App. St in the opener (2007) and then the Utes (2008). Fine with me! If it'll make Michigan feel better, they should go for it).
10/11 vs. Michigan State (Hey Brady, remember what I said a couple of posts ago about the Paul Bunyan Trophy match? Here's hoping you do; otherwise the Spartans will whip your butt again).
11/8 @ Northwestern (For the 2nd year in a row, Michigan must deal with a circus in Everston, Illinois).
11/29 @ Ohio State (For Michigan fans, beating the Buckeyes will cure ALL of their ills... and they've haven't been doing that lately. Say... maybe THAT's the reason why they're so angry at Brady!)

Bottom line: In the new-look Big 10, Michigan still has the name and the talent to compete. And that's why the fans are so restless; it all must come together on the field. With only 10 seniors on the roster, Brady doesn't really HAVE to win the Big 10 this year, but a better record than 7-6 is a necessity for him to keep his job.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction for the Big 10

My predictions for the Big 10 Conference:

Big 10 East:
1. Ohio State (Conference champs, Playoff)
2. Michigan State (Maybe "Big 6" bowl game)
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Indiana
6. Maryland
7. Rutgers

Big 10 West:
1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Nebraska
4. Minnesota
5. Northwestern
6. Purdue
7. Illinois

For all the PAC-12 fans out there, your teams' previews start tomorrow!

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the MAC, just saw that EMU is gonna install gray turf.

52GmiKs.jpg

I9jZxmI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington

The first preview segment for the PAC-12 Conference: The Washington Huskies

Last season: A long, miserable road back from the pits of that 0-12 season of 2008 seems to be completely gone as the Huskies went 9-4 in Steve Sarkislan's final year with the team (and it was also the last year for their big QB Keith Price). Now that Steve hopped the fence to go to USC, Seattle pulled the biggest coup of the year: swiping away Mr. Petersen from Boise.

2014 X-factor: Since he took over Boise in 2006, Chris Petersen has been on everyone's short list of "coaches we'll pay an arm and a leg to get". Well my god where do you start with this guy? Undefeated regular seasons, Fiesta and Sugar bowl trophy's, Top 10 poll finishes, and maybe THE most prestigious honor any mid-major FBS school can have... being considered a national title contender.:10: And now he's over at Washington... Time to see if Petersen can learn some new tricks against stiffer competition.

Good news: Helping Petersen and the Huskies with the transition of coaching power are 9 starters returning from a pretty-good defense last year and a senior-laden offensive line. Also, expected starting QB Cyler Miles is back on the team after being forced to sit out the spring...

Bad news: ...but that means he'll be behind in preparation and job security, and that's not good in a already-foggy QB race. The defense isn't immune, with concerns on secondary that needs to be addressed.

Key games: 9/27 vs. Stanford (This may be the first REAL test the Huskies will get this season, and by then we'll know if Cyler is still the man in Seattle).
10/18 @ Oregon (They may not do it this year, but Washington REALLY needs to beat Oregon one of these days; they've haven't done it since 2003).
11/8 vs. UCLA (I'm thinking very highly about the Bruins in 2014, so hopefully Mr. Petersen has the Huskies moving on all cylinders here).
11/22 vs. Oregon State (Look Huskies, I know it'll be Senior Day and you'll all be confident here. But do you remember hanging 69 points on the poor Beavers... at Oregon State? The Beavers defintely will).
11/29 @ Washington State (This finale is the 13th game Washington plays in 2014 [thanks to Hawaii, no doubt]... which means there will be some team spirit for the Huskies to win the Apple Cup again [and make Mike Leach lose it in the process]).

Bottom line: Washington's the wild-card of the PAC-12; how quickly Chris Petersen adapts to his new home and how the offense will help out that strong defense of theirs will determine what happens. For the moment, I think they're behind Oregon and Stanford, but the Huskies will only go up from here.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
California

Preview segment: The California Golden Bears

Last season: Confession time again, folks: I'm a huge fan of the comic strip "Pearls Before Swine". The creator of the strip is a guy called Stephan Pastis, and he went to Cal. So why am I telling you this? Because maybe Cal could use Stephan's school spirit to lift them out of the doldrums; they went 1-11 in 2013, and that one win was to Portland State... and that was only by 7 points.
So for Cal, I think there's only 2 options: Right the ship in Berkeley, or allow Rat and Pig to crush you in their comic strip.

Good news: Despite the team's awfulness, Cal found a star QB in Jared Goff. With a year of experience under his belt and a good collection of WR's, expect Jared to help the offense out more this year.

Bad news: The O-line has experience, but it REALLY needs to hold itself together in order to lift the Cal running game. But that's nothing compered to the Cal defense; it's a complete, utter, Chernobyl-level disaster, and fixing it should be Sonny Dykes's #1 priority.

Key games: 8/30 @ Northwestern (With the Wildcats distracted by all of their union talk, Cal must take advantage of this to start 2014 on the right foot).
9/27 vs. Colorado (This may be the only sure conference win I can see for Cal this year).
10/24 vs. Oregon [in Santa Clara] (The new Levi's Stadium will play host to 49ers home games, WrestleMania 31, and the 2016 Super Bowl. And then the stadium begrudgingly agreed to let Cal host Oregon in Santa Clara, too).
11/22 vs. Stanford (One of the most well-known college football rivalry games is the "Big Game for the Stanford Ax", and Cal is looking to avenge last year's humiliating 63-13 beat-down in Stanford... or at least not to get clobbered again).

Bottom line: With Jared finding his groove, Cal fans are hoping that Sonny fixes their defense and gets them back to prominence. But it won't happen in 2014, and if the season turns into another disaster, expect Stephan to sic Guard Duck and his RPG's on the coaches office so that Rat and Pig can take over the program.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon

Preview segment: The University of Oregon Ducks

Last season: Riding the money given to them by Nike and their boss Phil Knight, the Oregon Ducks became the new hot program in college football. The achievements speak for themselves: PAC-12 titles, a whole lot of touchdowns for fans of offense, and vied for the national title in 2010.
But then Chip Kelly left for the Philadelphia Eagles, leaving assistant Mark Helfrich to take over. Things looked fine for Oregon in 2013, but then Stanford got them again, Arizona ruined their BCS chances, and they were only seconds away from Oregon State putting Helfrich in the doghouse. Now that the transition phrase is over, is this Oregon's year to win back the PAC-12... or is this year the beginning of the end of their little flashy empire?

Good news: I bet Helfrich breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when Marcus Mariota said he'll stay in Eugene for the 2014 season; his presence alone will bring fear in Oregon's opponents. But Oregon had made it's bread with their running game, and with almost the entire offensive line returning it'll be full speed ahead for guys like Keanon Lowe.

Bad news: Oregon's defense for 2013 wasn't too bad, but this year there'll be holes to fill on the D-line. Also for some reason, I have doubts about Helfrich as the head coach; was last November just an aberration, or signs of things to come?:scratch: When the chips are down in their big games, how Mark will respond will ultimately determine if the Ducks reach their potential.

Key games: 9/6 vs. Michigan State (This game's in Eugene, but the Ducks don't do so well in physical games. If the Spartans show up for this, Helfrich's coaching skills will be tested).
10/2 vs. Arizona (The Ducks will be seeking revenge on Arizona for last year...)
10/11 @ UCLA (...but the problem is the Bruins will be seeking the same thing the following week, and I see them doing good things in 2014).
11/1 vs. Stanford (Stanford has been Oregon's kryptonite for the last few years, making this THE premier game in the PAC-12 again).
11/29 @ Oregon State (By the time the Civil War comes around, Helfrich will either have his team ready to go, or ripe for the picking for a incensed Beavers team).

Bottom line: There is still a boatload of talent in Eugene, so the fans have every right to expect a spot in the 4-team playoff... or at least a "Big 6" bowl. Helfrich will at least lead Oregon to that "Big 6" bowl, but if he doesn't and Oregon struggles, he'll be in BIG trouble with the fans come 2015.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington State

Preview segment: The Washington State University Cougars

Last season: The maverick coach Mike Leach has done it again: He brought Washington State a win over USC and a bowl berth in 2013, which was huge for a team that has had no national honers since they were last ranked in 2006. Yet in the New Mexico Bowl they coughed up a sure-fire win to Colorado State.
So in 2014, the Cougars will either feel sorry about themselves, or pick themselves up and make a push for another bowl. Thanks to Leach, bet on the latter.

Good news: Connor Holiday leads a powerful offense in Pullman, and we saw at Texas Tech what a Leach-created offense can do. And don't panic about the secondary: It loses a few seniors, but the new kids may be better suited to help the team.

Bad news: However, you may want to panic about the Cougars's special teams; if the kicking game doesn't get better expect more 4th-down plays out of Leach. There's also a lot of youngsters on the O-line, and unlike the secondary it'll take time for it to get traction.

Key games: 9/20 vs. Oregon (Like USC a year ago, the Cougars need to beat a team they shouldn't beat. The Ducks visiting Pullman is the first big chance Leach and his boys will have).
10/10 @ Stanford (The game may be at Stanford, but the Cougars will catch the Cardinal after they play Notre Dame).
11/1 vs. USC (When Wash. St. stunned USC, everyone knew Lane Kiffin was leaving L.A. And I don't think USC will be too upset about it entering this game... which is trouble for the Cougars; they visit Oregon State and Arizona State afterwards).
11/29 vs. Washington (Thank goodness; the Apple Cup is now fun again thanks to both teams getting their act together. This year's game will be epic).

Bottom line: The talent's improving over in little ol' Pullman, so Washington State's definitely got a shot at another bowl game. But with so many strong teams now in the PAC-12, it'll be an uphill climb for the Cougars... at least this year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado

Preview segment: The Colorado Buffaloes

Last season: Since Colorado joined the PAC-12, it has become it's punching bag. Actually, the Buffaloes have been a punching bag since their last bowl game in 2007. Mike MacIntyre is trying his best to resuscitate the program, and he hopes this year will be better than 2013's 4-8.

Good news: The Buffaloes are starting to stockpile talent, which I think will motivate the starters: If they don't improve and get better, the coaches won't hesitate to bring in some new faces. This is true in the secondary, and really true in the RB and WR slots, which is all good for QB Sefo Liufau.

Bad news: Sadly that is NOT true at offensive line: If somebody gets injured there, there may be trouble. The biggest concern, however, is the pass rush. It MUST get better for Colorado to improve from 106th in total defense.

Key games: 9/13 vs. Arizona State (The Sun Devils won't be the same team that won the PAC-12 South, thanks to a lot of defensive players leaving. If the Buffaloes take advantage of this chance, they could get somewhere in their conference).
10/18 @ USC (This trip to L.A starts the really tough part of Colorado's schedule; they host UCLA and Washington afterwards).
11/29 vs. Utah (Did you know that this series between Colorado and Utah is called the "Rumble in the Rockies"? And that the series actually started in 1903 and wasn't played from 1963 until 2011? It's better to know).

Bottom line: In Year 4 of PAC-12 play, Colorado has an ambitious goal for themselves: To not finish last in their division! Well, if they want to reach that goal, they must get that breakthrough win in conference... and maybe beat Utah.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon State

Preview segment: The Oregon State University Beavers

Last season: Remember the beginning of 2013? Some people had Oregon State in their preseason Top 25 (including ESPN), and contention in the PAC-12 North seemed a certainty.
So maybe that's why Mike Riley is in a little trouble with the fans entering 2014. Oh sure the Beavers won a bowl game, but they couldn't slay any of the big monsters like Stanford and USC. And did I forget anything? Oh yeah, in Week 1 they lost to Eastern Washington!! No wonder everyone's antsy in Corvallis.

Good news: The middle of the defense is very strong, and the rest of the defense should be fine even with the loss of some key players. Sean Mannion returns to Corvallis for one more year, and with his talent and experience, opponents of the Beavers had better duck...

Bad news: ...or maybe just go after the receiving core; the WR position is the Beavers's biggest worry. Brandon Cooks is gone, and experience amongst the other receivers is lacking. And the running game might not help matters; the O-line must replace some starters.

Key games: 8/30 vs. Portland State (Teams from the Big Sky conference LOVES playing the Beavers: Eastern Washington humiliated them last year, and so did Sacramento State a few years ago. Now the Vikings look to join that fast-growing fraternity).
9/27 @ USC (People in Corvallis didn't panic when they lost to Stanford at home, but they sure did when the Trojans did the same thing).
10/25 @ Stanford (On paper it doesn't look good for the Beavers, does it? But remember this: Stanford must visit Oregon the following week. Imagine what could happen if the Beavers clip the Cardinal before that big game).
11/29 vs. Oregon (I felt so bad for the Beavers after last year's Civil War where the Ducks escaped by only 1 point. Hey Beavers, I hope you finish the job this year in Corvallis!)

Bottom line: The problems Oregon State has aren't something that good coaching can't fix. Another bowl trip is in the cards for the Beavers, but here's the million-dollar question: How good will the bowl be? It all depends on if the team gets back to shocking some of the PAC-12 heavyweights.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last season: Riding the money given to them by Nike and their boss Phil Knight, the Oregon Ducks became the new hot program in college football. The achievements speak for themselves: PAC-12 titles, a whole lot of touchdowns for fans of offense, and vied for the national title in 2010.
But then Chip Kelly left for the Philadelphia Eagles, leaving assistant Mark Helfrich to take over. Things looked fine for Oregon in 2013, but then Stanford got them again, Arizona ruined their BCS chances, and they were only seconds away from Oregon State putting Helfrich in the doghouse. Now that the transition phrase is over, is this Oregon's year to win back the PAC-12... or is this year the beginning of the end of their little flashy empire?

Good news: I bet Helfrich breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when Marcus Mariota said he'll stay in Eugene for the 2014 season; his presence alone will bring fear in Oregon's opponents. But Oregon had made it's bread with their running game, and with almost the entire offensive line returning it'll be full speed ahead for guys like Keanon Lowe.

Bad news: Oregon's defense for 2013 wasn't too bad, but this year there'll be holes to fill on the D-line. Also for some reason, I have doubts about Helfrich as the head coach; was last November just an aberration, or signs of things to come?:scratch: When the chips are down in their big games, how Mark will respond will ultimately determine if the Ducks reach their potential.

Key games: 9/6 vs. Michigan State (This game's in Eugene, but the Ducks don't do so well in physical games. If the Spartans show up for this, Helfrich's coaching skills will be tested).
10/2 vs. Arizona (The Ducks will be seeking revenge on Arizona for last year...)
10/11 @ UCLA (...but the problem is the Bruins will be seeking the same thing the following week, and I see them doing good things in 2014).
11/1 vs. Stanford (Stanford has been Oregon's kryptonite for the last few years, making this THE premier game in the PAC-12 again).
11/29 @ Oregon State (By the time the Civil War comes around, Helfrich will either have his team ready to go, or ripe for the picking for a incensed Beavers team).

Bottom line: There is still a boatload of talent in Eugene, so the fans have every right to expect a spot in the 4-team playoff... or at least a "Big 6" bowl. Helfrich will at least lead Oregon to that "Big 6" bowl, but if he doesn't and Oregon struggles, he'll be in BIG trouble with the fans come 2015.

Keanon Lowe is a WR. Maybe you meant Byron Marshall or Thomas Tyner.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keanon Lowe is a WR. Maybe you meant Byron Marshall or Thomas Tyner.

Mamba, I watch a ton of Oregon football, such an exciting team and so fun to watch. It seems to me that people are expecting a bust out year from Marshall and for him to get pretty much the majority of the carries. I personally think Tyner's a better tailback. Am I crazy? That kid is damn good. What are your thoughts on that?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its not that oregon doesn't do well in physical games, they have won some, it just happens that in most of their handful of losses those teams were physical. but not all the losses were.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mamba, I watch a ton of Oregon football, such an exciting team and so fun to watch. It seems to me that people are expecting a bust out year from Marshall and for him to get pretty much the majority of the carries. I personally think Tyner's a better tailback. Am I crazy? That kid is damn good. What are your thoughts on that?

They are both good. Marshall is underrated in my opinion. Everyone is enamored by Tyner and I think he will be a big star at some point but for right now I still like Marshall at 1 and Tyner at 2.