• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My college football previews 2014

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just a football fan, looking to share my thoughts on this upcoming season with all of you. Over the next few months, I'll be your guide for the craziness of this college football season. And starting tonight, I'll be previewing the teams in the FBS... all 128 of them. Stay tuned, because the party will start right now!:yahoo:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame

As you probably guessed, the first team I look at is Notre Dame, a team that ALWAYS attracts attention to the college game.
Last season: After Everett Golson got suspended, the team shelved all hope of a BCS team. Thankfully for the people in South Bend the team (thanks to coach Kelly) wasn't too bad as they beat USC again, beat Arizona State, and most importantly, gave Mich. State their only loss of last year.
I bet NBC will keep these guys around for quite a long time...

Good news: Everett's back, the defense will be good, and the Irish now is involved with the ACC. Guaranteed they'll take advantage of this and steal a few recruits annually from the southern schools. Plus, it's Notre Dame, so everyone will watch what they do.

Bad news: The schedule (once again) is BRUTAL. Plus, the pass rush needs improvement, and if things go wrong, they might be stuck in bowl no-man's land.

Key games: 9/6 vs. Michigan (The last time in a while these 2 fight each other, and it's a shame. I've always liked seeing 2 CFB blue-bloods greet each other, exchange stories, and then beat the snot out of each other.
10/4 vs. Stanford (Everyone is still making a fuss over how the Irish beat the Cardinal 2 years ago, but Stanford should be scared because of this: They hosted Notre Dame last year, and barely won).
10/18 @ Florida State (This could be very good or very bad for the Irish as they fight "Famous Jameis").
11/29 @ USC (The Irish have won 3 out of the last 4 here, including the last 2 in LA).

Bottom line: Last season, I followed a column on Deadspin.com called "FBS 125 teams ranked" (I can't remember who wrote the column), and the guy said in one of the latest columns that "If Brian Kelly gets fired, they'll point to 'Irish played in the Pinstripe Bowl' as Exhibit A".
That won't happen this year; the Irish will get to a fine bowl. But if Notre Dame wants in on a "Big 6 Bowl", the faster Everett returns to form, the better chance they'll have.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brigham Young

Preview segment: The BYU Cougars

Last season: Some good, some bad. The Cougars started the beginning of the end for Mack Brown and beat up Georgia Tech and Boise. On the other hand, they flopped in their bowl game against Washington. But they're still good friends with ESPN, so they'll be fine.

Good news: Everyone's expecting big things from BYU, and maybe for good reason. Tayson Hill is good, and the defense should be awesome. The November schedule is very favorable...

Bad news: ...but the first 2 months will be HARD for the Cougs. They also need to replace some defensive studs from last year, and there's no backup for Tayson if he goes down.

Key games: 9/6 @ Texas (In my opinion, this is make it or break it for the Cougars. If the Longhorns extract revenge for last year's bad loss, BYU's hopes will take a BIG hit).
9/11 vs. Houston (5 days later, a team BYU beat by 1 point last year will also seek revenge)
10/3 vs. Utah State (The Beehive Boot is on the line here, and Utah St. will also be good this year).
11/29 @ California (By this time, the bowl selectors will know where BYU stands).

Bottom line: The other critics like BYU, but I just don't trust them enough. Tell you what, Cougs: If you beat Texas in Week 2, THEN I'll listen to anything you say. 'Till then, I have you at 9-3.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Covering the Irish first, good start to your SportsHoopla career

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Navy

Preview segment: The Navy Midshipmen
Now before I begin, I'll be warning you that I have a cousin who's a member of the Navy. Thankfully, I'll try to keep this segment as neutral as possible. Now then...

Last season: A pretty good season by Midshipmen standards; they finished 9-4, won a bowl game, and beat 2 big east-coast teams (Pitt and Indy). This season will be the last before Navy joins the AAC as a football-only school.

Good news: The offense looks to be awesome, and so is the special teams. Plus, the schedule is favorable, with Ohio State the only sure loss I can see.

Bad news: Quick! Name me 2 defensive players for the Navy! ...See, you can't do it, mainly because they have to replace the whole defensive core.

Key games: 9/20 vs. Rutgers (Be careful, Scarlet Knights; over the last several years Navy has beaten at least one good east-coast team).
10/4 @ Air Force (The obvious one, because the military schools value the Commander-In-Chief trophy than anything else in football).
11/1 vs. Notre Dame [in Landover, Maryland] (By this time, Navy's QB Keenan Reynolds should be on a roll. Plus, Navy almost beat the Irish last year in South Bend).
12/13 vs. Army [in Baltimore] (Navy has won every game here since 2001).

Bottom line: If Navy finds answers on defense, I see them grabbing 10 wins this year, which will no doubt please the "global force for good".:clap:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Army

Preview segment: The Army Black Knights

Last season: A awful 3-9 season that ended Rick Ellerson's turn at running things in West Point. Enter Jeff Monken and his hard-nosed style, and fans (including me) are hoping that will help the team not lose to also-rans like Hawaii.

Good news: Monken is a winner, having led Georgia Southern to the FBS level. The schedule isn't overwhelming, and the defense should be good.

Bad news: Fans are getting annoyed about not beating Navy in OVER A DECADE (the longest streak ever)! This must change if Army wants to become relevant again. Oh yeah, and we don't know who's going to be the quarterback this season.

Key games: 9/6 vs. Buffalo (In-state season opener. An upset win here will help Army in their home state).
9/27 @ Yale (Ho-hum, just a FCS mat... wait, it's AT Yale? Great, now I'm nervous about this one).
11/1 vs. Air Force (Army beat the Falcons last time they played at West Point, plus they gotta start beating their military rivals with more regularity).
12/13 vs. Navy [at Baltimore] (Come on, Black Knights! Stop the bleeding and take out the Midshipmen, because this American classic is now getting boring. And no one in America wants that).

Bottom line: It's the 1st year for Monken at West Point, so expectations are a little low. But in my opinion, if the Black Knights improve enough to stun Navy for the first time since 2001, the college football world would be much happier.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida International

My look into all 10 FBS Conferences begins now, starting with Conference USA and Florida International.

Last season: Appalling; their only win was to 1-11 Southern Miss, and that was by 1 point.

Good news: They should be better thanks to a offensive line returning everyone, and a okay secondary.

Bad news: I can't think of any real way this team can do anything this year, as C-USA continues to be a challenge for them. Maybe this is what they deserve for firing successful coach Mario Cristobal.

Key games: 8/30 vs. Bethune-Cookman (Bethune beat FIU by 33 POINTS last year. FIU had better come in guns-a-blazing, or their season's over before it can begin).
9/20 vs. Louisville (At least FIU won't lose by 72 points this time around).
10/2 vs. Florida Atlantic (Gotta love these in-state rivalry games).

Bottom line: No, the Panthers won't go 1-11 again this year. But I think 4 wins is as high as they can get.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida Atlantic

Preview segment: The Florida Atlantic Owls

Last season: The Owls went 6-6 but didn't go bowling; however the kids at Boca Raton didn't care. After the HUGE mess with former coach Carl Pelini and his defensive coordinator Pete Rekstis, interim coach Brian Wright dragged the Owls to a 4-game winning streak to end things in 2013. Now with things stable at FAU, new coach Charlie Partridge is looking to give the Owls a chance to compete in C-USA.

Good news: Jaquez Johnson gives them something good at QB, and the secondary looks to be good.

Bad news: Somebody's gotta step up at the defensive line, because that's what helped them win 4 straight last November.

Key games: 8/30 @ Nebraska (Not a good way for Charlie to start his head coaching career. Things can't get any worse for the Owls).
9/6 @ Alabama (I take that back; it CAN get worse)
9/27 vs. Texas-San Antonio (After an awful start, the Owls will be gleeful to get conference play start- Wait, the Roadrunners want a C-USA title this year? Uh oh).
10/25 @ Marshall (By this time, FAU should actually have some momentum going into a big game. Plus, the Owls nearly beat the Herd last year).

Bottom line: A new head coach, plus a brutal September schedule, will equal no bowl for the Owls this year... no matter how good FAU gets at the end of the year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Middle Tennessee

Preview segment: The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders

Last season: A 5-game winning streak gave the Raiders a bowl invite, and they now hope to get people to care more about them this season.

Good news: The defense should be good, and the Raiders can run,run,run all day long if they want to.

Bad news: They may HAVE to run the ball because 3 quarterbacks are currently trying to kill themselves for the starting spot in August.

Key games: 9/13: vs. Western Kentucky (Their conference opener is against an old rival of theirs).
9/20 @ Memphis (In-state rivalry game where the Blue Raiders won 17-15 last year).
10/11 @ Marshall (This was their biggest win of last season, a 51-49 shootout over the Herd. Let's just say Marshall will look for payback).

Bottom line: It's gonna be a while before Mid Tennessee becomes a team people will really care about, but if they make a bowl again this year, they'll be on their way towards that goal.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama-Birmingham

Preview segment: The UAB Blazers

Last season: An awful 2-10 season. 'Nuff said.

Good news: The administration at UAB is upgrading the football facilities at the school, and new coach Bill Clark is ready to improve a defense destroyed by injuries last year. Plus, the running game is reason for hope.

Bad news: Clark only has 1 season of experience coaching college ball, and the team is still behind almost everyone else in the conference.

Key games: 8/30 vs. Troy (Again, gotta love these in-state rivalry games).
9/27 vs. FIU (This could be a fight to stay out of the C-USA basement).
11/29 @ Southern Miss (Losing 62-27 to a winless team at home last year will light a fire under the Blazers for this finale).

Bottom line: Sadly, I see only baby steps of progress for the Blazers. Bill Clark and UAB will be fighting to stay out of last place.:lame:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas-El Paso

Preview segment: The UTEP Miners

Last season: An awful 2-10.

Good news: Experience on the offensive side of the field will help, as well as experience with the coaching staff.

Bad news: There are depth problems EVERYWHERE on defense, and people like me are getting apathetic about the program.

Key games: 9/13 vs. New Mexico State (After an expected butt-kicking from Texas Tech, the Miners will seek any help in regional recruiting. This Sliver Spade rivalry game will be one of the games they HAVE to win).
10/25 @ UTSA (UTEP needs to put the new kids from Texas in their place).

Bottom line: As a college football fan, all I want is to see is great football action, regardless of where it is. Sadly, this means I can't like every team, and the Miners is one of the teams I can't see anything for.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisiana Tech

Preview segment: The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs

Last year: A bad 4-8 mark under new coach Skip Holtz.

Good news: The secondary should be fine, and people in Ruston are expecting great things from Kenneth Dixon and the offense.

Bad news: Uh, who exactly is going to protect Dixon on the offensive line? Plus, none of the QB's at Ruston have shown big-game talent, and the defensive line has to replace some good people.

Key games: 9/6 @ Louisiana-Lafayette (Again, you gotta love these in-state rivalry games).
9/11 @ North Texas (5 days after the 'Cajuns, the Bulldogs start conference play with this. Could be a chance to make a early splash).
10/18 vs. UTSA (Trust me, something will be on the line in this match).

Bottom line: Of all the "Who cares" teams in C-USA, this team has the best chance to grab some attention. Plus, Skip has experience winning this conference, so we'll see what happens if he gets some passing help for Dixon.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Dominion

Preview segment: The Old Dominion Monarchs

Last season: The Monarchs were sharpening their teeth in the FCS, and riding high with a cool mascot and Taylor Heinicke as their QB. Now the kids from Norfolk, Virginia, are here to try their luck at the highest level.

Good news: I already mentioned Taylor as the QB, and he will have help with a good receiving core.

Bad news: Excitement is high in Norfolk, but it will take a while before the team adjusts to a full FBS schedule. Plus (and I found this out only a week ago), the maximum number of scholarship players a FCS team can have is 63 (FBS has 85); there's gonna be depth issues EVERYWHERE.

Key games: 9/6 @ NC State (Old Dominion's first big game as a FBS team).
9/20 @ Rice (The first ever C-USA game for the Monarchs is at the defending conference champs).
11/22 vs. Louisiana Tech (From what I heard, the crowds at Foreman Field are loud and lively. Imagine what it's gonna be like for the team's first Senior Day at the FBS level).

Bottom line: These are newcomers, and the depth isn't up to FBS levels yet, so don't expect too much from Old Dominion this year. But something tells me that they'll make themselves at home quick thanks to good ol' Big Blue.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Western Kentucky

Preview segment: The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers

Last season: Fans were not happy, but not because of a bad season. On the contrary, they were mad because they went 8-4, had Bobby Petrino as their coach, and STILL didn't get a bowl invite. Now they move from the Sun Belt to the stronger C-USA with hopes of getting that elusive 2nd bowl invite. Plus, they still have one of the greatest mascots anywhere.

Good news: The aforementioned mascot, a offense that can score against anyone, and a harder schedule means they won't get bypassed for a bowl berth if they qualify.

Bad news: The Hilltoppers have to replace LOTS of defensive starters from last year, which means they should prepare for a few shootouts. Plus, Petrino left for Louisville again (more on that when I preview the Cardinals), and in his place is former O-coordinator Jeff Brohm... who has no head coaching experience.

Key games: 9/6 @ Illinois (I'm not fooled; the Hilltoppers has the tools to pull the upset here).
10/18 vs. Old Dominion (Come for the QB fight between Brandon Doughty and Taylor Heinicke, stay for the inevitable fight between Big Red and Big Blue)!
11/22 vs. UTSA (Trust me, something will be on the line here).
11/28 @ Marshall (This finale could be another QB duel; this time between Brandon and Marshall's Rakeem Cato).

Bottom line: I think the Hilltoppers originally joined the FBS level so that more people can enjoy the wonder of Big Red. But now they have a high-octane offense and some momentum, and if they find some answers on defense, they won't get passed over for a bowl this time.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall

Today's preview segment: The Marshall Thundering Herd

Last season: It was a breakthrough season for the Herd; they made the C-USA title game and recorded 10 wins, including a Military Bowl win over Maryland. Now with lots of starters returning, everyone has them pegged to win the title in 2014.

Good news: It all starts with Rakeem Cato, who is ready to set records across the nation in passing alongside his main receiver Tommy Shuler. Also, the schedule is kind, the defense returns most of it's pieces, and the team will be hungry to grab the title they lose to Rice last year.

Bad news: Wouldn't hurt Marshall to find a backup just in case Rakeem gets banged up; finding a running back could be the answer.

Key games: 9/13 vs. Ohio (The Battle of the Bell rivalry game may be Marshall's first real test of the season).
10/11 vs. Middle Tennessee (The Herd's only conference loss was to the Blue Raiders, who may be the toughest threat to Marshall in their division).
11/15 vs. Rice (A rematch of last year's C-USA title game, and a possible preview of this year's title game).

Bottom line: Hmm... solid defense, great QB, good coach, favorable schedule... WOOHOO! Marshall's gonna hit the jackpot this year. I see them not only winning the conference, I got them being the "Group of Five" representative in a "Big 6" bowl come December! And when that happens, Jack Lengyel (that coach from "We Are Marshall") is going to be so proud.:10:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern Mississippi

Preview segment: The Southern Miss Golden Eagles

Last season: Remember that "125 FBS Teams Ranked" column from Deadspin I mentioned in my Notre Dame preview? The guy that wrote it went to Southern Miss, so it must have been hard for him to see the Eagles lose 41-7 at home to teams like FAU on it's way to 23 straight losses. But hey, they won their finale last year, so better times are ahead... right?

Good news: The defense has way more experience than last year, and the offense hopes to be way better too.

Bad news: The Eagles served up more turnovers than your local bakery shop last year, and if things don't change they can say goodbye to any movement this year.

Key games: 9/6 vs. Alcorn State (In between whippings from Miss. St and Alabama, the Eagles have a chance here to match their win total from last year).
9/20 vs. App. State (And here, they'll have a chance to pass that win total).
10/25 vs. Louisiana Tech (Maybe the best chance for the Eagles to get a home conference win).

Bottom line: With that defense of theirs, at least the Eagles won't be as wretched as the last 2 years (after winning a C-USA title in 2011). 5 wins is the ceiling I have for them.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice

Preview segment: The Rice Owls

Last season: In October 2012, everyone at Rice University was ready to fire David Bailiff, knock him out, and then feed him to cannibal dogs while relieved football fans partied in the streets of Houston.
Fast forward 14 months later: Those same fans are parading David around the streets after Rice won it's first stand-alone conference title since the late 50's. Now they're hoping David can do it again this year.

Good news: They have players at the skill positions, especially at running back. Plus, the defensive coaches are saying that they'll have great speed on the defensive front.

Bad news: Their planned starter Driphus Jackson has had a history of injuries during his career, and some defensive positions hasn't been solidified as of yet.

Key games: 8/30 @ Notre Dame (Not a ideal way to start your season; yes, it's on national TV, but the Irish won't show any mercy).
9/20 vs. Old Dominion (After a likely 0-2 start, the Owls will likely vent out their frustrations in this home opener).
10/25 vs. North Texas (One of 2 games that will decide the West division this year. Plus, the Owls want revenge for last year's loss).
11/8 vs. UTSA (And here's the other one. By this time, Rice should know what to expect from the new kids from San Antonio).

Bottom line: I saved the top C-USA west teams for last, mainly because this will be a hard division to call a winner. But I think that Rice's first 2 games (Notre Dame and Texas A&M) will toughen them up for conference play, and I have them outlasting the young Mean Green and the upstart Roadrunners for another division crown... and the chance to repeat.:clap:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Texas

Preview segment: The North Texas Mean Green

Last season: Hey Denton, do you remember when you used to dominate the early days of the Sun Belt Conference? Oh, you do? I guess that explains the 9-4 season for the Mean Green, along with their first bowl win since 2002.

Good news: The offensive line and the secondary return some good starters.

Bad news: Those are the only positions solified, as North Texas lost a TON of players from last year. Big holes must be filled on defense (including the front seven), and who's gonna start as quarterback?

Key games: 9/6 vs. SMU (The Mean Green won't have a shot against Texas in the opener, but they CAN win their home opener against the team from Dallas).
9/11 vs. Louisiana Tech (A strong start in the conference is vital for these Denton youngsters).
10/25 @ Rice (The Mean Green should have momentum going into this in-state game, and they'll probably need it).
11/29 @ UTSA (The brand new hot rivalry game in the state of Texas).

Bottom line: This really could go either way; if the Mean Green can find some young players to fill the holes, they can challenge for the C-USA West crown. If they can't, they'll be fighting just to get a bowl berth.:noidea: