• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My college football previews 2014

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are you grabbing your previews from.

You couldn't possibly be doing one of these a minute.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas-San Antonio

The final preview segment in Conference USA: The Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners

Last season: Last year was only the 3rd official season of major college football for the Roadrunners, and the last two have been pretty good: 8-4 and 7-5. With a boatload of seniors on board, a lot of people have them going for the conference crown and their first ever bowl bid.

Good news: How many seniors do the Roadrunners have? 38 hard-nosed kids ready to go. Plus, coach Larry Coker has national title prestige.

Bad news: Eric Soza is gone, and he was the QB for the first 3 seasons in San Antonio. Plus, if the Roadrunners don't strike now, they'll be in BIG trouble next year replacing all those seniors.

Key games: 8/29 @ Houston (For these upstart Roadrunners, beating a team like Houston will be huge to get traction in a CROWDED football state).
11/8 @ Rice (UTSA wants to be a contender in C-USA? Okay guys, here's your big chance).
11/22 @ Western Kentucky (The Hilltoppers, like the Roadrunners, will be playing for something here).
11/29 vs. North Texas (See the Rice game).

Bottom line: I don't blame some people for thinking this could be UTSA's year with all those seasoned guys. But something tells me that the Roadrunners will succumb to the championship pressure...just enough for Rice to beat them and win the division. Still, a bowl berth will be coming to them for the first time ever.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction for Conference USA

Summary of my picks for Conference USA:

C-USA East:
1. Marshall (Conference champs, "Big 6" bowl game)
2. Middle Tennessee
3. Western Kentucky
4. Old Dominion
5. FAU
6. FIU
7. UAB

C-USA West:
1. Rice
2. UTSA
3. North Texas
4. Louisiana Tech
5. Southern Miss
6. UTEP

And beginning tomorrow, I start taking out the Sun Belt conference!

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it op. Welcome to SportsHoopla.

:cheers:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be great if Marshall got in to one of the big 6 games

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preview segment: The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders

Last season: A 5-game winning streak gave the Raiders a bowl invite, and they now hope to get people to care more about them this season.

Good news: The defense should be good, and the Raiders can run,run,run all day long if they want to.

Bad news: They may HAVE to run the ball because 3 quarterbacks are currently trying to kill themselves for the starting spot in August.

Key games: 9/13: vs. Western Kentucky (Their conference opener is against an old rival of theirs).
9/20 @ Memphis (In-state rivalry game where the Blue Raiders won 17-15 last year).
10/11 @ Marshall (This was their biggest win of last season, a 51-49 shootout over the Herd. Let's just say Marshall will look for payback).

Bottom line: It's gonna be a while before Mid Tennessee becomes a team people will really care about, but if they make a bowl again this year, they'll be on their way towards that goal.
Go Blue Raiders! :suds:

Will definitely try to make it to the BYU game this year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well actually, WhiteMamba, I took some of the older posts from a Facebook group that I'm in. Don't worry, I'll post things on an even clip from now on.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas State

The first preview segment for the Sun Belt Conference: The Texas State Bobcats

Last year: These guys from San Marcos went 6-6, but it coulda been better; They enter this season on a 3-game losing streak they ruined their chances of their first ever FBS bowl game.

Good news: Texas State still has their seasoned coach Dennis Franchione on the sidelines, the running game looks good, and so is special teams.

Bad news: Some passing threats may help the Bobcat offense, and so may a offensive line.

Key games: 9/20 @ Illinois (Maybe the most high-profile the Bobcats will have this season).
10/14 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (If they want to be taken seriously in their conference, they HAVE to win this Tuesday-night game).

Bottom line: Yawn... I can't really show much excitement for these guys, so unless they show people something early, I see them finishing right in the middle of the Sun Belt.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news: Everett's back, the defense will be good, and the Irish now is involved with the ACC. Guaranteed they'll take advantage of this and steal a few recruits annually from the southern schools. Plus, it's Notre Dame, so everyone will watch what they do.

Bad news: The schedule (once again) is BRUTAL. Plus, the pass rush needs improvement, and if things go wrong, they might be stuck in bowl no-man's land.

Not sold on the defense this year. I'm not really worried about the pass rush because it seems like we're going to be bringing extra guys all the time, but I am worried about the Dline in general. You're going to take a step back when you lose Tuitt and Nix. We need Day to turn into the stud we know he is.

As for bowl no-man's land, this is ND we're talking about, we'll be fine.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Alabama

Preview segment: The South Alabama Jaguars

Last year: The Jaguars were one of 4 teams that finished 6-6 (with no bowl berth) in the Sun Belt, yet this year some people have them challenging for the top 2 spots.

Good news: I guess this guy Joey Jones can coach, as he's still in Mobile like he has for the past 5 years. Plus, the personnel looks good with a lot of wide receivers and a proud secondary.

Bad news: All this progress has to show up sometime in the final W-L record. But a hard schedule and the need to find answers on the defensive line, could prevent that this year.

Key games: 9/13 vs. Mississippi State (Remember when the Jaguars almost beat Tennessee last year? Unfortunately, so will the Bulldogs).
9/20 vs. Georgia Southern (Their conference opener is against the most dangerous newcomer to the Sun Belt).
11/8 @ Arkansas State (By this time, we'll know if the Jaguars are ready to take the next step).

Bottom line: With a lot of newcomers to the Sun Belt, there's a good chance that the Jaguars can take out most of them and improve their record. But how they perform in the harder games will show if they're bowling or staying home this holiday season.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sold on the defense this year. I'm not really worried about the pass rush because it seems like we're going to be bringing extra guys all the time, but I am worried about the Dline in general. You're going to take a step back when you lose Tuitt and Nix. We need Day to turn into the stud we know he is.

As for bowl no-man's land, this is ND we're talking about, we'll be fine.

I think that defense is going to have issues. Whole new system going in place and it is not user friendly. Here is a great article on the change

Texas wants its gold back! Wait, what? - The Washington Post

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, OK. not like the 2 play this year, so whatever

Did you see that article you linked? It was something about Texas wanting its gold back. Hence the bad joke...

Last edited by a moderator: