• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My college football previews 2014

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia Southern

Preview segment: The Georgia Southern Eagles

Last season: After running roughshod through the FCS, Georgia Southern finished 7-4 in their final FCS season. If that doesn't impress you, then maybe this will: They won their season finale at Florida... as in the Gators of Florida!:clap: Thanks to that huge win, I think they're ahead of the curb in their transition to the FBS.

Good news: Kevin Ellison is the undisputed QB of the team, and he'll get good help in his offensive line.

Bad news: The coach who got them here, Jeff Monken, is gone. Plus the Eagles will be another team that must deal with depth issues in their first years in the FBS.

Key games: 8/30 @ NC State (The Eagles's grand debut at the FBS level).
9/20 @ South Alabama (A perfect way to start their first Sun Belt season; against a team still getting it's act together).
9/25 vs. App. State (The first bitter match-up in the FBS for these two rivals).
10/30 vs. Troy (By this time, we'll know if the Eagles can handle the grind of FBS competition).

Bottom line: I'm not worried about the Eagles; they beat Florida for crying out loud! That said, the depth issues and hard non-conference slate will hamper the Eagles... at least this year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appalachian State

The final preview segment for the Sun Belt Conference: The Appalachian State Mountaineers

Last season: In 2005, some school from North Carolina looked to strike up some publicity, so they made a commercial promoting their school as "hot hot hot":laugh3:. As evidenced by it's football team, it worked: The Mountaineers won 3 FCS championships and scored (in my opinion) the biggest college football upset in history by beating Michigan. Now the journey is complete; App. St has jumped to the FBS. So... what's left for these guys that went 4-8 last year?

Good news: Notoriety will help App. St out with recruiting, the offensive line looks to be good, and the defensive linebackers may be the best players on the team.

Bad news: The team needs to add depth to it's passing attack, and the defense must force more sacks... which will be hard given it's depth issues.

Key games: 8/30 @ Michigan (Somewhere in Ann Arbor, some bitter football fans are seeing App. St as their opening game and rubbing their hands going "MWAHAHAHAHAAAA!").
9/25 @ Georgia Southern (What better way to start life in your new home than kicking the snot out of your hated rivals for the 2nd year in a row?)
11/22 @ Louisiana-Lafayette (This may be a game where the Mountaineers can play the spoiler).

Bottom line: From middling FCS program to one of it's biggest success stories, App. St is ready to see what it can do at the FBS level. They're not bowl-eligible, but the rest of the Sun Belt better not sleep on these guys.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction for the Sun Belt

Summery of my picks for the Sun Belt Conference:

1. Louisiana-Lafayette
2. Arkansas State
3. Troy
4. South Alabama
5. Texas State
6. Louisiana-Monroe
7. Georgia Southern
8. Appalachian State
9. New Mexico State
10. Georgia State
11. Idaho

And starting tomorrow, the MAC previews begin as I have a few harsh words for one team... and it may not be who you think.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowling Green

The first preview segment for the Mid-American Conference: The Bowling Green Falcons

Last season: They won the MAC East and ruined Northern Illinois's chance at the BCS by winning the MAC title (no doubt angering some of those MAC bigwigs). Now a lot of people expect the Falcons to win the MAC again... but for some reason I'm not one of them. Why?

Good news: Matt Johnson is the runaway best QB in the conference, and with new explosive schemes he should torch opponents. The Falcons's new head coach Dino Babers has a successful track record, and the special teams are good, too.

Bad news: Dino wants to install aggressive schemes on both sides of the ball, and I think that will take a bit of time. And with only 11 starters returning, expect some growing pains. To make things worse, there are holes EVERYWHERE on defense that needs filling, and those newbies might get torched in the first year of this "Falcon Fast" gameplan.

Key games: 9/13 vs. Indiana (First major test for the "Falcon Fast" plan, as the Falcons wants this meeting with the Hoosiers to go better than the last one).
10/4 vs. Buffalo (It's at home, but don't sleep on the Bulls).
11/19 @ Toledo (The battle of I-75 takes place this year in Toledo, with the Falcons wanting to return the favor after the Rockets beat them 28-25 in Bowling Green).
11/28 vs. Ball State (If the defense isn't good and spent going into this game, it will afterwards).

Bottom line: Slow down, guys! The coach that helped you win the MAC last year (Dave Clawson) is gone, and implementing a new system takes time, especially with so many newcomers to the team. The offense can't carry the team forever, so I see the Falcons stumbling late... just enough to cost them the MAC East title.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buffalo

Preview segment: The Buffalo Bulls

Last season: After 3 rebuilding seasons, Jeff Quinn and company hit pay-dirt with 8 regular season wins and a bowl berth. And even though they lost some people, I think they can contend again.

Good news: Joe Licata is back to lead the offense, and he has a line that's strong and experienced. Plus, the front seven of the defense is steady.

Bad news: None of those front seven is Khalil Mack, who went in the top 10 of the NFL draft. The secondary must plug up some holes, and so must the running game.

Key games: 9/20 vs. Norfolk State (Wait... why these guys? Well, this is the game Buffalo will play after Baylor, and last year after the Bears whacked the Bulls they played Stony Brook. The Bulls won, but it took 5 OT's to do it! That's why).
10/4 @ Bowling Green (The Bulls should be 4-1 entering this one, and by then we'll know how both teams operate).
11/5 @ Ohio (A very tricky Wednesday night game).
11/11 vs. Akron (The other contender to the MAC East comes to Buffalo).

Bottom line: I can understand why people don't think the Bulls will do anything thanks to Khalil's absence, but Joe will do well guiding the offense and some surprising newcomers will keep the defense relevant. Combine that with Bowling Green sinking late, and I have the Bulls claiming a surprise division title.

Hey, I'm entitled to at least one crazy pick... right?

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Akron

Preview segment: The Akron Zips

Last season: Everyone thought so little about the Zips at the beginning of last year, and that guy who wrote the "125 FBS Teams ranked" Deadspin column had the Zips finishing dead last of all the teams.
But wait... Last year the Zips scared Michigan, finished on a 3-game winning streak, and ruined Toledo's bowl hopes all thanks to coach Terry Bowden. Now Akron fans are looking for the team to get their first bowl berth since 2005, when they were MAC champions.

Good news: Unlike previous years, the Zips come in with some optimistic vibes as Terry's still here and the defensive line looks good.

Bad news: The offense needs to find a playmaker to take the next big step, and the secondary could be better.

Key games: 10/18 @ Ohio (The Zips should be 3-3 entering this critical division game, and they want to avenge last year's 43-3 loss).
10/25 @ Ball State (Arguably the toughest test Terry's boys will have in 2014).
11/4 vs. Bowling Green (The Zips should be so thrilled; they've been invited back to the famous ESPN early-week MAC games. And if the Zips are prepared, the Falcons better watch out).
11/11 @ Buffalo (And if the Zips surprise the Falcons, they can vie for further glory against the Bulls).

Bottom line: Are you starting to get the picture? That stretch of the schedule I showed will be key in the Zips taking another step back to MAC contention. It's up to Terry to get the team ready for a bowl push.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kent State

Preview segment: The Kent State Golden Flashes

Last season: Remember having a tremendous party in which you could do no wrong, but the next day you're sleepy, droopy-eyed, and sound pretty stupid? That was Kent State over the last 2 years; in 2012 they were a couple of plays away from the Orange Bowl, then last year they sleep-walked to a 4-8 record. Now Kent is hoping that the hangover has stopped... and so is the team.

Good news: The defense is experienced and has the push to be one of the MAC's best. Plus, the RB Traylon Durham and WR Chris Humphrey are reportedly good.

Bad news: A hard early schedule, plus concerns with players' health after a injury-plagued season last year, will not help a offense that has question marks despite Durham and Humphrey.

Key games: 8/30 vs. Ohio (This opener is HUGE for both teams, not just to get a early conference win, but also to gain needed momentum).
9/27 @ Virginia (After a expected whipping from the Buckeyes, the Flashes will get 2 weeks to prep for this visit to ACC country).
10/4 @ Northern Illinois (Kent's return to conference play is against the kingpin of the MAC).
11/12 @ Bowling Green (If Kent escapes the injury bug that got them last year, they can stop the Falcons in this rivalry game).

Bottom line: Initially, I thought that the Flashes would be boring to cover. But the defense will keep the team in games, and if the coach gets a more stable offense going, Kent State could surprise. The trick is surviving a hard early slate.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio

Preview segment: The Ohio Bobcats

Last season: Another winning season and bowl berth under Frank Solich, and for a team from little Athens, Ohio, that is incredible. But some of the fans were miffed that another late-season dip ruined any grandiose plans the Bobcats had.

Good news: Derrius Vick may not be related to Michael Vick, but his athleticism will be a big help in the offense. Plus, the defense has a lot of pieces returning.

Bad news: Derrius may be forced to run like Michael, because the offensive line is the big question mark entering this season. Also, can he be a team leader? And if he can, will that help Ohio avoid a 3rd straight late-season swoon?

Key games: 8/30 @ Kent State (See my Kent preview).
10/11 vs. Bowling Green (Yes, I'm mentioning the Falcons again. But the Bobcats are another team that will look to stop the MAC champs).
11/18 vs. Northern Illinois (Oh, how neat! Ohio gets to host the top 2 MAC teams this year. Problem is, the Huskies will want another title).

Bottom line: Like Kent State, Ohio has some good pieces. That's why that opener on August 30th is so important; the winner becomes the dark-horse contender in the MAC East. So check back with Ohio after that game and we'll see if they will shoot for a 6th straight bowl.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the MAC, just saw that EMU is gonna install gray turf.

52GmiKs.jpg

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda like it. The gray's easier on the eyes than blue or red.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami-Ohio

Preview segment: The Miami-Ohio Redhawks

Last season: 0-12. That's all you need to know.

Good news: After their 3rd straight losing season, the Redhawks booted Don Treadwell out and brought in Chuck Martin, who (from what I've heard) is a genius from Notre Dame. This is great news for Andrew Hendrix (the new QB) because he played under Martin, so he'll understand the offense. Plus, a good deal of starters return on both sides of the ball, and they all want to forget last year's disaster.

Bad news: Some spots on defense are still unsteady, and their competitive image is in the toilet after last year.

Key games: 9/6 vs. Eastern Kentucky (The Redhawks SHOULD win this game and snap their losing streak. They SHOULD).
9/20 @ Cincinnati (It may be in Cincy, but this rivalry game means a lot to the Redhawks, so expect them to bring it).
10/4 vs. UMass (Another chance to gain much needed momentum).

Bottom line: Give credit to Miami-Ohio; they're forgetting an awful 2013 and moving towards the future. But how far they claw back upwards depends on Hendrix and the offense.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toledo

Preview segment: The Toledo Rockets

Last season: Things were fine in Toledo until they lost a shot at the MAC West thanks to Northern Illinois; the next game they lost to Akron and then got passed over for a bowl despite being 7-5. Now this season they have 16 starters returning. Combine that with a renewed sense of urgency, and Toledo has the fire to be a MAC power again.

Good news: The defense is deep, the special teams looks to be good, and the offensive line has 4 starters back.

Bad news: That offensive line has a tall task this year, because nobody is sure who will be the QB. And yes the defense has depth, but improvement is needed for them to challenge the Huskies.

Key games: 8/30 vs. New Hampshire (The Rockets needs to be careful in this opening game; the Wildcats are a great FCS team).
9/20 vs. Ball State (After dealing with Cincy, Toledo goes after one of the MAC's big tree-limbs).
11/11 @ Northern Illinois (This has been one of the headline MAC games for years now).

Bottom line: Will they be good enough to take the MAC West? With last year's disappointing ending as their motivation and a lot of return players, they have a chance... providing they get the QB's ready.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Massachusetts

Preview segment: The Massachusetts Minutemen

Last season: When UMass jumped to the FBS level 3 years ago, they knew that they would go through growing pains before they can hang at the highest level. But 2-22 in the first 2 years?!
To their credit, UMass booted out Charley Molnar as coach and hired back a guy named Mark Whipple, who led the Minutemen to a FCS title in 1998. Now the folks in Amherst hope that will help them get positive momentum.

Good news: Whipple knows how to win at Amherst, and some incoming talent will help too. The defense should be better.

Bad news: The talent is still not there for UMass to challenge. Plus, the schedule-makers saddled UMass with the hardest non-conference slate of all the "Group of Five" schools.

Key games: 8/30 vs. Boston College (It's an in-state game, so that's something. But Colorado, @ Vanderbilt, @ Penn State, and Bowling Green right after this?! UMass is gonna be spent by October).
10/4 @ Miami-Ohio (After that massive slate of games, UMass will savor this chance to get a win).
10/18 vs. Eastern Michigan (Ditto).

Bottom line: If the Minutemen are going to compete in the FBS, they need to do 2 things.
1. Be patient and let Whipple build up the problem slowly, and...
2. Fire the people who booked that brutal early slate of games.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northern Illinois

Preview segment: The Northern Illinois Huskies

Last season: The Huskies before the MAC title game against Bowling Green: "Wow! This is gonna be the best season we ever had! Two straight BCS games, Jordan Lynch's gonna win the Heisman... We're so happy!!"

After the Huskies lost the title game: "...Dammit."
The Huskies' mood soured more after being upset by Utah St. in the Poinsettia Bowl, but because of this sour taste they'll get over losing Lynch and contend again this year.

Good news: A great offensive line, great running backs, and a underrated defense all bode well for the Huskies in this "rebuilding season".

Bad news: It's not just the obvious (Who'll replace Lynch at QB); the secondary will need to step up big-time, and everyone in the MAC will bring their A-game against these guys.

Key games: 9/6 @ Northwestern (This is the first of 3-straight road games the Huskies will have in September; UNLV and Arkansas are the other two).
11/5 @ Ball State (Northern Illinois gets challenged by one of their biggest rivals... in Indiana).
11/11 vs. Toledo (And here's the other big rival; always a hoot when the Huskies and Rockets play each other).

Bottom line: With Jordan Lynch gone, you'd think the Huskies would fall down, and they will. But with a good number of returning starters and a culture of winning in Dekalb, the fall won't be far at all. In fact, I think last year's terrible end will just motivate Northern Illinois enough to find a new QB, and to win back their MAC championship in 2014.:suds:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eastern Michigan

Preview segment: The Eastern Michigan Eagles

Last season: A typical 2-10 season for one of the traditionally worse FBS teams; Eastern Michigan has not played in a bowl since 1987. Things won't change much this year, but the Eagles are getting a few new wrinkles... plus that whole mess with former coach Ron English looks to be over.

Good news: New coach Chris Creighton knows how to win at football; he's coached winners in Sweden, Ontario, and FCS program Drake. Plus (and thanks to WestEndVol for this tidbit), the Eagles are installing new gray turf for their field, aping mid-major powers like Boise and Eastern Washington.

Bad news: Chris knows how to win, but this will take more than a year to fix; the defense has a lot of holes and there's no experience at the QB position.

Key games: 9/20 @ Michigan State (This ends a road trip that includes a trip to Florida. Oh, and the Spartans will either be arrogant bullies or angry monsters in this in-state match).
11/1 vs. Central Michigan (Another in-state rivalry game, but this time the Eagles have a chance to win this one).
11/15 @ Western Michigan (The Eagles' only win over a FBS team last year was against the rival Broncos).

Bottom line: I must confess, when I started reviewing this team from Ypsilanti, I thought maybe they should drop down to the FCS level in order to get some winning vibes back.
But it looks like with the new field and Creighton as the coach, they want to stick around and rebuild the program. But I have Eastern Michigan in last place until further notice.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised EMU hasn't already dropped to FCS. Just look at their attendances last year.

vs. Howard - 7,668
vs. Ball St. - 5,402
vs. Ohio - 3,257
vs. WMU - 2,177
vs. BGSU - 1,751

That's beyond pitiful for an FBS program. My HS had better attendances than that.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were probably able to crack 7,000 for the Howard game so the fans could see their band play (assuming they travelled).

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ooooo... Didn't see that, WestEndVol. But let's leave them alone for this year at least; they're still trying.