• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My college football previews 2014

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FCS teams you should actually pay attention to

Now tomorrow I start with the AAC, but first I want to show you 5 teams from the FCS level that you should at least keep one eye on:

Grambling State: This once-proud school went through one hell of a bad season with player protests, financial woes, Doug Williams getting fired, the list goes on. We'll see if new coach Broderik Fobbs will have any effect, and if the program can start righting itself on the field.

Colgate: Gotta throw in the local reference from Hamiliton, New York.

New Hampshire: A little suggestion to CFB fans: If your early game gets boring, tune in to some action from the SEC of the FCS, the CAA. And the Wildcats may be the best of the 12-team conference.

North Dakota State: A dynasty has been created in Fargo, as the Bison got a College Gameday visit and won it's 3rd straight title in 2013. But almost everyone from those glory days are gone, including coach Craig Bohl.

Eastern Washington: Most people has these Eagles winning the FCS title this year, with Vernon Adams the big reason why. Let's just say Washington had better be ready for them on September 6th.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SMU

The first preview segment for the American Athletic Conference: The Southern Methodist Mustangs

Last season: A not-so boring 5-7 season that saw the usual gaudy passing numbers and awful pass defense from the Mustangs.

Bad news: The secondary REALLY needs to step up big as they gave up too many big plays last year. Also, Garrett Gilbert is gone and the RB position may be a issue all season. Oh, and remember UMass and their killer schedule? SMU isn't far behind with games against Baylor, TCU, and Texas A&M in the first month...

Good news: ...However, the Mustangs will host A&M and TCU this year, and June Jones found himself a QB in spring camp in Neil Burcham.

Key games: 9/20 vs. Texas A&M (Lucky SMU gets to stay in Texas all September, and they'll have 2 weeks to prep for the Aggies).
10/4 @ East Carolina (SMU's conference opener is against one of their former C-USA friends... who has an awesome QB).
10/18 vs. Cincinnati (The Bearcats will come to Dallas after dealing with Miami. This is SMU's big chance to stop a AAC heavyweight).
11/28 vs. Houston (Let's just say that SMU will remember getting whacked 34-0 at Houston last year).

Bottom line: Thankfully for SMU, June knows how to get a QB ready. And that might be enough to keep them ahead of such teams like USF, Tulane, Tulsa, and Memphis. SMU finishes right in the middle of the AAC, but I don't know if that's enough for a bowl berth.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East Carolina

Preview segment: The East Carolina Pirates

Last season: The people over in Greenville, North Carolina sure do love their football, so they had to been enjoying last year's 10-win season (including their bowl game). Now ECU is jumping from their long-standing home of C-USA to the sightly-more prestigious AAC... and I honestly don't know what will happen.

Good news: Have you heard of ECU's QB Shane Carden? No? Then please leave this forum now.

Kidding! Trust me, you'll know about him after this season. And he'll have a good receiving core (as it's always been at ECU) to help him. Coach Ruffin McNeill has improved the defense during his tenure...

Bad news: ...but in the move to the AAC, it needs to be much better. And that could be difficult with only 4 starters returning on that end.

Key games: 9/6 @ South Carolina (If Shane isn't on his game, the Pirates could get smoked by Spurrier and the Gamecocks. But hey, it gets worse for ECU as after this and a trip to Virginia Tech...)
9/20 vs. North Carolina (...they must host the Tar Heels, who will want sweet revenge after ECU beat them last year in Chapel Hill).
11/15 @ Cincinnati (Some people have the Pirates taking the AAC title, and this could be the game that decides it one way or the other).
12/4 vs. UCF (Or maybe this will be the game ECU needs to win).

Bottom line: If the Pirates survive a rough September, expect Ruffin to drag ECU to another bowl berth (the 10th since 2000). But his teammates will decide if they win the AAC on their first try.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now tomorrow I start with the AAC, but first I want to show you 5 teams from the FCS level that you should at least keep one eye on:

Grambling State: This once-proud school went through one hell of a bad season with player protests, financial woes, Doug Williams getting fired, the list goes on. We'll see if new coach Broderik Fobbs will have any effect, and if the program can start righting itself on the field.

Colgate: Gotta throw in the local reference from Hamiliton, New York.

New Hampshire: A little suggestion to CFB fans: If your early game gets boring, tune in to some action from the SEC of the FCS, the CAA. And the Wildcats may be the best of the 12-team conference.

North Dakota State: A dynasty has been created in Fargo, as the Bison got a College Gameday visit and won it's 3rd straight title in 2013. But almost everyone from those glory days are gone, including coach Craig Bohl.

Eastern Washington: Most people has these Eagles winning the FCS title this year, with Vernon Adams the big reason why. Let's just say Washington had better be ready for them on September 6th.

Grambling and Colgate? really?
I'll tell you 1 who you should watch though is SE Louisiana.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulane

Preview segment: The Tulane Green Wave

Last season: Despite having no big QB play, Tulane used a surprisingly good defense to make their first bowl game since 2002. Now they're moving to the AAC... and their first at-campus stadium in about 40 years (they've been renting out the Superdome).

Good news: Let's not underestimate that new stadium for Tulane: After dealing with that cavernous, barely filled Superdome for home games, Yulman Stadium will be most welcome for the students. CB Lorenzo Doss is another guy you might not have heard of, but you will once the NFL draft comes around. And the QB play HAS to be better than last year, it just HAS to.

Bad news: The move to the new conference, combined with a tougher schedule and depth issues means expectations are pretty low for the Wave.

Key games: 8/28 @ Tulsa (What better way to start your season and your tenure in the AAC by facing a rival that jumped from C-USA with you?)
10/31 vs. Cincinnati (By this time, we'll know if Yulman Stadium crowds will have a effect against opponents).
11/15 vs. Memphis (This might be a fight to stay out of the AAC basement).

Bottom line: There's a lot of youth on a team that's playing in new surroundings, so unless Tulane gets help from the "Tulane mummies" (look it up on Google), I don't see much of anything for this private New Orleans school.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Temple

Preview segment: The Temple Owls

Last season: A very Temple-like 2-10. But wait just a moment; Louisville and Rutgers are gone from the AAC, and there's a star rising in Philly? Uh, you may want to pay attention to Temple this year.

Good news: NOBODY heard of P.J. Walker until last year, when despite Temple's awfulness he showed some great talent throwing and running the football. And the defensive line is gonna be HARD for people to get through.

Bad news: On the other hand, the secondary is ripe for the picking in a passer-friendly AAC. And Temple might have good running backs, but a young offensive line might not give them a chance to run.

Key games: 9/20 vs. Delaware State (Because Temple, like TOO many teams last year, lost to an FCS school).
9/27 @ Connecticut (Hmmm, this could be a fun rivalry game if the schools choose to go that route with each other).
10/25 @ UCF (This, combined with a game at Houston 8 days earlier, will tell if Temple's secondary is any better than last season).
12/6 @ Tulane (Very weird way for the Owls to end their season: In New Orleans with the "Tulane mummies").

Bottom line: Oh, this one's SO hard; Temple's got the QB and the defensive line, but not much else. Look Temple, I'll check back with you guys on Halloween; by then everyone will know if you got a shot at a bowl or not.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preview segment: The Houston Cougars

Last season: After QB David Piland went down with a concussion, Houston was AWFUL: The defense tanked, the school rioted after finishing 1-11... :bullshit:
Wait, what's that? John O' Korn stepped up as QB and was great? And the team went 8-5 with both sides of the ball doing well? Oops, sorry about that.

Good news: With O' Korn leading the offense, the Cougars will be able to throw the ball all over the place (as usual). But what nobody's talking about is the defense: 10 returning starters will improve a unit that was 79th in total defense last year.

Bad news: In my opinion, the biggest concern for Houston is finishing big games; they lost by 1 score each to UCF, Louisville, and Cincinnati. Oh, and the secondary needs to do WAY better.

Key games: 10/2 vs UCF (Cougars, this is your big chance to take down the Knights. Don't blow it... like you did last year).
10/11 @ Memphis (Right afterwards, Houston will visit a Tigers team ready to pull the upset).
11/28 @ SMU (See my SMU preview)
12/6 @ Cincinnati (At least a share of the AAC will be decided here, but Houston better be ready not just for the cold, but for whoever Cincy's QB is).

Bottom line: If the Cougars learn how to close out the big games, they got a chance to swipe the up-for-grabs AAC.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati

Preview segment: The Cincinnati Bearcats

Last season: For only the second time in 8 years, Cincy didn't win 10 games in a season. That's not what was interesting about Tommy Tuberville and the Bearcats; it was how they can look so methodical and strong in most of their games, yet look mediocre against South Florida and North Carolina. But let's not nitpick, this will be a good team in 2014.

Good news: There are no big names on Cincy's defense, and I think they like it that way. Look for them to have another good year. Plus, a fine offensive line + good running backs = one of the best running teams in the FBS. The QB's are also good...

Bad news: ...but they're also inexperienced (except for Munchie Legaux). The special teams unit took a shellacking last year, and could derail the whole season if it doesn't get significantly better.

Key games: 9/27 @ Ohio State (Let's be blunt and honest; Kent State will not be the first Ohio school to beat the Buckeyes since the 19th century. Will the Bearcats be the one?)
10/4 vs. Memphis (A visit to Miami is right after this. Combine that with a Ohio State hangover, and watch out Tuberville!)
11/15 vs. East Carolina (This is where the AAC slate gets hard, as I think Shane Carden and the Pirates will be on a roll entering this game).
12/6 vs. Houston (If UCF stumbles, this could be for all of the AAC marbles).

Bottom line: I went back and forth between these guys and UCF for the AAC crown, but Cincy has a X-factor: once-highly regarded QB Gunner Kiel. If he steps up to the plate, the Bearcats will walk off with the AAC title... by a nose.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Central Florida

Preview segment: The Central Florida Golden Knights

Last season: Holy crap, was 2013 a GREAT year for UCF. They were the only masters of Teddy Bridgewater and Louisville, they stunned Penn State, and most importantly rode Blake Bortles and an underrated defense to a Fiesta Bowl upset win over Baylor. In fact, their only loss was by 3 points to South Carolina. So, what's left?

Good news: That defense returns almost everybody, and special teams might be even better. The wide receivers also look to be great, and established coach George O' Leary is still in Orlando.

Bad news: Let's forget about Blake leaving UCF early for a minute, because he wasn't the only dude to jump ship; Storm Johnson left early too. The offensive line needs to plug some holes as well, and remember this: UCF struggled to put away bad teams like Temple and South Florida last year... even WITH Blake.

Key games: 8/30 vs. Penn State [in Dublin, Ireland] (Playing in Dublin is a gimmick, but it will be fun. Playing an Penn State team seeking revenge with you breaking in a new QB will not).
10/2 @ Houston (Careful here, UCF; Houston will be ready to make a move for your title in 2014).
10/9 vs. BYU (And like Houston, the Knights will get a chance to ruin BYU's season. And I think they can do it).
11/28 @ South Florida (Regardless of how good or bad they are, USF will give 100% in this rivalry game).
12/4 @ East Carolina (See my ECU preview).

Bottom line: Although it may not look like it, I think UCF will be good and can repeat as AAC champs. But the slight edge goes to Cincy because of not just the QB issues, but the O-line... unless George finds answers at both positions.
:gaah: NOW do you see why I had so much trouble choosing between them and Cincinnati?!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulsa

Preview segment: The Tulsa Golden Hurricane

Last season: Can you believe that we used to care about Tulsa football a few years ago? Well, those glory days are slowing down: Tulsa went 3-9 a year after winning C-USA, and their lack of offense was the big reason. Now they're in the AAC... with most of their former C-USA rivals joining them (Which I don't think Tulsa really wanted).

Good news: At least the defense will be better; 8 starters return on that side. The special teams will be fine as well.

Bad news: But all this won't matter if their trademark offense stinks it up again... and there's a BIG chance it will; the QB position is still up for grabs.

Key games: 8/28 vs. Tulane (Like the Green Wave, Tulsa needs this win to build momentum for 2014. Unlike the Wave, Tulsa must play Oklahoma after this).
10/11 @ Temple (Tulsa in a conference game with Temple?! Now do you see what conference realignment has done?!)
11/14 @ UCF (Tulsa must be psyched; the jump to the AAC has restarted this rivalry series with the Golden Knights).

Bottom line: It's a transitional year for Tulsa, so you can ignore them in 2014 until they do something big.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memphis

Preview segment: The Memphis Tigers

Last season: These batch of Tigers hasn't done ANYTHING noteworthy, at least not since their last bowl in 2008. 2013 was more of the same as they went 3-9... so why is Memphis upbeat for 2014?

Good news: There's experience all over the team, and another year of coaching will hopefully get the WR's up to speed (they dropped a lot of balls last year. The defense has taken a big upswing in recent years, and it will be strong again. And QB Paxton Lynch will be better after a middling freshmen year...

Bad news: ...but if Paxton goes down, there's no big backup plan in place. And I have no earthly idea how you can miss a punter, but Memphis will miss Tom Hornsey (an All-American last year).

Key games: 9/20 @ Middle Tennessee (Sandwiched between games at UCLA and Ole Miss is this big in-state game for the Tigers).
10/4 @ Cincinnati (After a hard early slate, the Tigers must visit one of the AAC kingpins).

Bottom line: Yawn... Somehow I just can't muster enough excitement for these guys. And I think they will use that "under-the-radar" mentality to make a push for their first bowl in 6 years... but it won't be easy.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Florida

Preview segment: The South Florida Bulls

Last season: USF knew 2013 wasn't going to be ANY fun when they lost by 32 to McNeese State. McNEESE STATE!!
The offense continued to dampen the mood in Tampa en-route to a 2-10 season. And despite a strong recruiting class, that awfulness may continue this year.

Good news: The offense has just GOTTA to be better than last year's 120th overall ranking; a lot of returning starters will help with that. And oddly enough, so will the special teams (they're all set at every position there).

Bad news: The defense was the only thing USF football could trumpet about in 2013, and most of those players are gone (especially at defensive end). And until either Mike White or Steven Bench shows otherwise, QB play at USF will continue to be Snoozeville.

Key games: 9/13 vs. NC State (Two teams desperate to get a win for their conference, and I think blood will flow here).
10/11 vs. East Carolina (The Bull will have 2 weeks to prep for this, so hopefully they'll find some offensive magic).
10/24 @ Cincinnati (In-between getting their butts kicked, the Bulls caught the Bearcats napping for the upset win. Problem is, that won't happen this time in this Friday night game).
11/28 vs. UCF (See my UCF preview)

Bottom line: Yawnnnn... We'll see if Willie Taggart can get some mo... momentum for USF, but I... Yawn... can't really see anything for these guys until the offense gets... going... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Connecticut

The final preview segment for the AAC: The Connecticut Huskies

Last season: Like USF, UConn knew things were going to be bad in 2013 when they got P'wned by a FCS school (Towson). That, combined with Buffalo P'wning them too ended the Paul Pasqualoni era in Storrs.
On a personal note, I remember Paul when he made Syracuse a solid program during the 1990's, so I understand why UConn hired him. But I guess Syracuse got his glory years... ha!
Okay, back to 2013: T.J Weist stepped in as interim coach, UConn started 0-9, but won their last 3 games. Now UConn is hoping that's all the drama they'll have for a while as they try to return to a bowl game.

Good news: New coach Bob Diaco (and I just found out all this about him) was a great assistant coach all throughout the midwest, and his strong suit is defense. And at least 10 starters return on that end, which could mean dramatic improvement from last year's mediocrity...

Bad news: ...but the offense is another story as UConn has not settled their QB position. But that's not the biggest issue; the offensive line is. And all that could be trouble for a skilled set of receivers.

Key games: 8/29 vs. BYU (This Friday night opener will be quite interesting. Will Diaco have his team ready for the BYU offense right off the bat?)
9/19 @ USF (The Bulls kicked UConn when they were down last year).
11/1 vs. UCF (Man, UConn is lucky. They get to host both the Golden Knights...)
11/22 vs. Cincinnati (...AND the Bearcats. Beating either one of them would be HUGE for the Huskies).

Bottom line: This is a "wait and see" team in 2014, but oddly enough that may be good enough for a bowl invite in a AAC without Louisville and Rutgers. It all depends on how fast UConn's offense can get something going.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction for the AAC

My predictions for the American Athletic Conference:

1. Cincinnati
2. Central Florida
3. Houston
4. East Carolina
5. UConn
6. SMU
7. Temple
8. Memphis
9. Tulsa
10. South Florida
11. Tulane

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge news! Starting on Monday, we can talk about the teams you'll care about the most. Yep, it'll soon be time for the College Football Playoff "Big 5" Conferences!:yahoo:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia

The first preview segment for the Atlantic Coast Conference: The Virginia Cavaliers

Last season: Things looked so well for Virginia when they beat BYU in their opener. But by bad luck or sheer ineptitude the Cavs went 2-10, and now coach Mike London needs to do something quick before the school gets buried by all the other schools in the Coastal division.

Good news: Hey look, the Cavs found a playmaker in Kevin Parks (the first 1,000-yard rusher in a decade)! The defense SHOULD be better than last year's 65th ranking with 9 starters back, including most of the secondary. Plus, Mike continues to haul in great recruiting classes.

Bad news: But as we know, recruiting class rankings mean almost NOTHING; in my opinion it's what you do with that talent and how you develop it. And since Virginia went 6-18 the last 2 years, looks like Mike's not doing well on that end. Oh yeah, and the QB position needs to show some level of pizzazz, alone with the offensive line.

Key games: 8/30 vs. UCLA (Greyson Lambert looks to be the starting QB for the Cavs for this nationally televised opener. Here's hoping that arm is as good as everyone says it is).
9/13 vs. Louisville (The newcomer Cardinals come to Charlottesville, and I got a feeling it'll be a circus on at least one of the sidelines).
9/20 @ BYU (Hey Cavs, remember that opener you won last year? The Cougars will when you come to see them in Provo).
11/1 @ Georgia Tech (By this time, we'll know how much trouble Mike is still in. But either way, the Cavs will be in trouble in Atlanta, 'cause the "Jefferson-Eppes" trophy match with Florida State is right afterwards).
11/28 @ Virginia Tech (The Battle for the Commonwealth Cup could be Mike London's finest moment at Virginia... or his final one).

Bottom line: I think the ACC Coastal might be THE closest race of the whole 2014 season; all but one of those teams could win it. That unlucky one is Virginia, and that's only because of everyone's doubts about London and the future of the program. One thing's for sure, the Cavs won't go 2-10 again, but Mike must beat some big teams to calm the restless souls in Charlottesville.
And a little aside to the university if you DO can London: Don't be too upset. After all, in the great words of Colin Cowherd: "If you're gonna fail with a coach, make sure it's a coach that can recruit players."

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Carolina pep talk

Preview segment: The North Carolina Tar Heels

Announcement: Ladies and gentlemen, I have realized that harping on a school's academic and public-relations problems does nothing to actually help with anything. So this will not be a typical team preview, as instead I will give this school some words of encouragement.

Listen, North Carolina, I know things have been hectic with this whole fraud story and you don't feel good right now. But cheer up! Your football program is on the upswing, and I think it can surprise a lot of cynical people this year.
You know why? Because you didn't give up on last season, when you started 1-5. Nope, you pulled yourself up, won 5 in a row, and even won a bowl game!
:clap:

Quarterbacks: Having a good QB is important, and you have a keeper in Marquise Williams! Good for you!
Running backs: Looks like T.J. Logan had a good spring. Don't let his talent go to waste, UNC! Use it! Charges up the middle, option runs, the sky's the limit!
Wide receivers: Wow! You got a AWESOME collection of talent here! Quinshad Davis, T.J. Thrope, Ryan Switzer... you're gonna scare a LOT of teams with these guys!:10:
Offensive line: Keep trying!
Defense: You lost some playmakers from last year's defense, but you've improved a lot from 2012! Now you don't have to find the next Russell Bodine and Kareem Martin right away, but a good spring means you're on your way to another fine year.

Key games: 9/20 @ East Carolina (Come on, UNC! What did we say about losing to an also-ran like ECU? You're better than that!)
9/27 @ Clemson (UNC is 2-6 in their last 8 games with Clemson. Keep trying, Tar Heels!)
10/11 @ Notre Dame (The Irish has this game after Stanford, and before Florida State. Give those Irish a rude awakening, UNC!)
11/1 @ Miami (After throwing that game away, you drew a line in the sand and went on that 5-game tear. We know you can beat the Hurricanes THIS time!)
11/20 @ Duke (Assert yourself in this match, UNC. You WANT your little Tobacco Road rival to get a swelled head? Me neither!)

Bottom line: Yes, all the games I highlighted are on the road. But that's because I have faith in you at home in Chapel Hill. Keep plugging away, and you'll be basking in the glory of being Coastal division champions!
And if you keep your momentum going, why within 5 years I'll bet you can win a national championship!
:yahoo:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston College

Preview segment: The Boston College Eagles

Last season: Things were so boring in Chestnut Hill until a RB named Andre Williams came in and racked up over 2,100 yards in becoming a Heisman finalist. The Eagles finished 7-6 in 2013, but despite no longer having Andre (who got drafted by the NFL Giants), I think they can surprise a couple of teams in 2014.

Good news: There are only 3 starters returning on offense, but they're all on the offensive line. This will help a bunch of young running backs, and the Eagles found a QB in the spring in former Florida player Tyler Murphy. Plus, the defense returns 7 starters.

Bad news: Despite all those starters returning, BC is still worried about their defense; they lost a lot of talent to the NFL. Also, Tyler must rely on a VERY thin group of wide-receivers to help with the passing game.

Key games: 9/5 vs. Pittsburgh (One of those early-season conference games that may be ugly to watch, but will mean so much to the teams taking part).
9/13 vs. USC (Right afterwards, the Eagles host the Trojans from California... and I have no idea how this will turn out).
10/18 vs. Clemson (If the Eagles want to be taken seriously this year, they have to surprise a big ACC team).
11/1 @ Virginia Tech (See above game).
11/29 vs. Syracuse (A great game last year as the Orange scored the game-winning TD with only seconds remaining [and scoring a bowl berth in the process]).

Bottom line: Depth issues are never good, but despite this don't sleep on the Eagles. At best they'll pull a upset or two while pushing for a bowl. At worst they'll at least be better than Wake and NC State.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville

Preview segment: Louisville Cardinals

Last season: Louisville had one of it's best season EVER in 2013; they went 12-1, whipped Miami in a bowl game, and Teddy Bridgewater went in the first round of the NFL draft.
So why were the Cardinals feeling not so happy? Because that one loss (against Central Florida) cost them a BCS invite and a chance to finish in the AP Top 10. Now they're chasing more competition and riches by jumping to the ACC... with some strange new wrinkles.

2014 X-factor: Wait wait wait wait wait wait... Louisville needed a coach after Charlie Strong left for Texas, and they hire back Bobby Petrino?:wtf2: The same man that left the NFL Atlanta Falcons with no warning? The same bozo that ruined a pretty good run at Arkansas by crashing a motorcycle... while riding with a college intern that he slept with behind his wife's back? And now you bring him back?!:L If you guys know why Louisville did this, let me know because I don't have a clue.

Good news: Say what you will about Bobby Petrino, but he can build an offense. And he's got good weapons right off the bat: Will Gardner is ready to step in as the starting QB, and look at all the talent at the skill positions! Plus, the front seven on defense will be fine despite losing some people.

Bad news: All of Petrino's baggage will haunt the Cardinals... at least for this season. And did you know that
Louisville had the best defense in the country last year? Well, 2014 will be pretty different thanks not only to the jump to the ACC, but because of a rebuilding secondary.

Key games: 9/1 vs. Miami :-)whoo: What a way to end the first week of the 2014 season; with the Cardinals' ACC opener against a Miami team that also wants national honors?)
10/11 @ Clemson (After a Friday night game with Syracuse, Louisville will have it's first ever meeting with Clemson... in Death Valley).
10/30 vs. Florida State (A Thursday night game with Louisville hosting the defending national champs? Superglue yourself to your couch, football fans!)
11/22 @ Notre Dame (The Irish's partnership with the ACC means they'll play a few ACC teams each year. And the Cardinals will be the last one... on Notre Dame's senior day. Uh oh...)

Bottom line: Look, Louisville has the talent. They have the drive. And they'll be good this year, they really will. But all of the baggage with Bobby plus some new challenges in their new league equals no chance in hell for Louisville to stop Florida State and Clemson in the Atlantic.