• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My college football previews 2014

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Carolina State

Preview segment: The North Carolina State Wolfpack

Last season: Awful with a capital A; the Wolfpack didn't win a ACC game for the first time since 1959. Worse, they couldn't make it look interesting as they lost by an average of 18.75 points per ACC game.

Good news: In their defense, NC State did have a number of injuries on both sides of the ball. And a second year working under Dave Doeren's system will help the team and it's big playmaker Shadrach Thornton, not to mention a young defense full of many new, hungry players.

Bad news: Thornton must stay out of legal trouble in order to really help the offense, and even if he does the offensive line (a now annual problem in Raleigh) must do their part. Plus a little suggestion to the defense: Get better with your tackling.

Key games: 9/27 vs. Florida State (The Wolfpack has a good chance to be 4-0 entering this Thursday night game, and let's not forget this: the Seminoles lost the last time they payed a visit to Raleigh).
10/4 @ Clemson (But the ACC schedule makers are sadistic monsters; right after the Seminoles, NC State must visit Clemson in the Textile Bowl match).
11/8 vs. Georgia Tech (The Wolfpack's bowl chances will either be enhanced or hobbled after this visit from the Yellow Jackets).
11/29 @ North Carolina (Uh NC State, there's no easy way to say this, but 2 days ago I gave a pep talk to the Tar Heels where I said they had a shot to win the ACC. So they MIGHT crush you like a roach in this in-state rivalry game. Sorry in advance).

Bottom line: A good start will help this young team (40+ freshmen on the NC State roster), but the rest of the ACC is too good right now, so I'm hard pressed to see them in a bowl game in 2014.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia Tech

Preview segment: The Virginia Tech Hokies

Last season: What the heck is wrong with these guys? From 1993 to 2010 the Hokies were the model of efficiency with 3 Big East and 4 ACC championships, and even fought for the national title in 1999.
But last year, their offense was pure garbage and it ruined any grandiose plans for the 8-5 Hokies (especially in their bowl game). Even worse their usual great special teams (affectionately known as "Beamerball") was not up to par. But I like to watch this program, so hopefully they can return to the elite of the FBS.

Good news: Once again, the defense is LOADED. The fastest defense in years will terrorize any opponent visiting Lane Stadium, especially with the secondary working on all cylinders. Plus, the running game will be WAY better than last year's 109th position... or at least Va. Tech hopes so.

Bad news: A starting quarterback has not been decided on yet, and whoever wins the job must deal with a questionable O-line.

Key games: 9/6 @ Ohio State (Another game that the CFB fans across the nation will drool over. Plus, props to Va. Tech for continuing to challenge themselves out of conference).
9/20 vs. Georgia Tech (One of the most closely-contested series in the ACC starts conference play for both the Yellow Jackets and the Hokies).
10/23 vs. Miami (Virginia Tech [and also Duke] ruined Miami's BCS chances last year in Miami. I'm positive Miami wants to return the favor in 2014).
11/15 @ Duke (Speaking of returning favors, Duke's stunning win in Lane Stadium propelled them to the Coastal Division last year. Lock your doors for this rematch).

Bottom line: They got the talent on defense, and they still have Frank Beamer, so if Virginia Tech gets the offense going they'll storm the Coastal Division and return to the ACC title game. But if they struggle again, maybe Beamer should join his old friend Jim Grobe in retirement.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke

Preview segment: Duke Blue Devils Football

Last season: Florida State's final ACC victim on their national title run was... Duke?! You mean the Blue Devils was the Coastal Division champions? DUKE?!:wtf2:
Oh, it gets even better; they almost ruined Johnny Manziel's final college game in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. DUKE?! Scaring Johnny Football? What an incredible run it was.

Good news: Duke's doing the smart thing with David Cutcliffe: Latch on to him and never, EVER let go. His offense returns most of it's big players, including QB Anthony Boone and WR Jamison Crowder, as well as a awesome offensive line. Plus, they miss Florida State and Clemson again in ACC play.

Bad news: But the ACC teams they WILL play will now take them seriously, especially Va. Tech and Miami (whose seasons Duke ruined last year). The defensive line must replace 3 starters, and they'll be concerns with depth until Cutcliffe proves otherwise.

Key games: 9/27 @ Miami (What an awful way to start your Coastal title defense; against a team that'll be snorting fire and screaming "REVENGE!"
10/11 @ Georgia Tech (Duke will get 2 weeks to prep for the Jackets' option game... which is never good for Georgia Tech).
11/8 @ Syracuse (Their first ever basketball game as conference opponents in the Carrier Dome was incredible. So imagine what it'll be like for their first ever ACC football game over there).
11/15 vs. Virginia Tech (It's in Durham, but Va. Tech will be rested and ready to extract revenge of their own).
11/20 vs. North Carolina (One of the best [but REALLY over-hyped] basketball rivalries is now fun in football; Duke's won the last 2 against the Tar Heels).

Bottom line: With Cutcliffe still there and a fun offense, Duke's got a chance to repeat as Coastal cham...
Wait wait wait... DUKE?! Duke's got a chance to REPEAT as Coastal champions?!?:omg: Well, that's modern-day college football for ya.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh

Preview segment: The Pittsburgh Panthers

Last season: For this, I'll once again reference that "125 FBS teams ranked" Deadspin column: "Pittsburgh has been so mediocre for so long, it would be more interesting if they were just plain bad".
It's a bit harsh, but I understand where he's coming from: Pittsburgh finished 8-5, 6-7, 6-7, and 7-6 over the last four seasons. They did win a bowl game and beat Notre Dame in 2013, but other than that they were treading water.

Good news: Coach Paul Chryst has his system ready to go at Pitt, and he found a diamond last year in WR Tyler Boyd. The defense looks to be better too...

Bad news: ...but Aaron Donald is not there anymore. Plus (and I'm asking them nicely), would it kill Pitt to inject some excitement in their running game?

Key games: 9/5 @ Boston College (The winner of this game gets some hope in climbing their respective divisions).
10/16 vs. Virginia Tech (This Thursday night game is big for both teams in the Coastal).
11/1 vs. Duke (Maybe the most exciting thing that happened to the Panthers last season was their 58-55 shootout win over the Blue Devils [which is the last loss Duke had before they took the Coastal]).
11/22 vs. Syracuse (One point. One stinking point saved Pitt from being home for the holidays in 2013).

Bottom line: In Pittsburgh's second year in the ACC, we're all hoping that they can inject excitement into their game. But until that day comes, I have Pittsburgh as the guys with the worst odds (excluding Virginia) to take the Coastal division.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia Tech

Preview segment: The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Last season: Like 2012 they went 7-6 and missed out on some big victories. In fact, since Georgia Tech won the ACC in 2009 the best record they've had was 8-5 in 2011. Now people are starting to get bored with this team, and that's NEVER a good thing.

Good news: The defense will be one of the best in the conference, and as it usually is during Paul Johnson's tenure in Atlanta the running game is top-notch. But the biggest surprise is the good WR's the Jackets have right now.

Bad news: Those skill players may have to do the offense all by themselves, because the critical QB position (even more critical when you run an option attack) is still unsettled. Even worse, the offensive line may be an issue all season.

Key games: 9/20 @ Virginia Tech (As I mentioned earlier, this game will start the madness in the Coastal division, and I can't wait to see it happen).
10/4 vs. Miami (The Jackets will have 2 weeks to prep for this, and they'll catch Miami at a good time [the Hurricanes play at Duke before this one]).
11/15 vs. Clemson (The Tigers have won 3 of the last 4 in this rivalry series).
11/29 @ Georgia (And like Clemson, Georgia Tech hasn't beaten their in-state SEC rivals since 2008).

Bottom line: The Jackets has as much talent as anyone in the Coastal, so if they find much-needed answers at QB and the O-line, they'll be a big factor in the race for the ACC title game in Charlotte.
But let me make a little suggestion to Paul Johnson: With all this talent at the skill positions, maybe you should use a more conventional offense. I'm just saying, it would REALLY improve your chances.:hope:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse

Preview segment: The Syracuse Orange

Last season: I'll be honest with you, I had no idea what was going to happen to the Orange when they jumped to the ACC. Things looked bleak early as Clemson and Georgia Tech teed off on the Orange, but they managed to get a bowl berth and a bowl win in Houston (21-17 over Minnesota).
But that was last year, and coach Scott Shafer was using some of Doug Marrone's leftover players. Now with his recruits coming in, he must show he's got a firm hold of the program.

Good news: Terrel Hunt won the starting QB role during the spring, and the O-line has experience. The defense returns 8 starters, and the special teams looks set.

Bad news: Syracuse has experienced players... just not a lot of them; the Orange HAS to get better at building depth. Terell must get more help from the skill positions to better the Orange's passing attack.

Key games: 9/20 vs. Maryland (This ACC opener... wait, Maryland's not in the ACC anymore?)
9/27 vs. Notre Dame [in East Rutherford] (A old-school game rivalry match in New Jersey. The Orange won the last time they played the Irish).
10/3 vs. Louisville (Okay, THIS is the ACC opener for Syracuse... against the newcomer that'll have 3 ACC games under their belt by October).
10/25 @ Clemson (This is Syracuse's first ever visit to Clemson... and I'm terrifled at what might happen).
11/22 @ Pittsburgh (This game and the finale against Boston College will determine where the Orange go this bowl season... or maybe if they go bowling at all).

Bottom line: This is a critical year for Scott Shufer. He needs to keep up the winning vibes that Marrone started, and we'll watch and see if he can. If he does, the Orange will be bowling again, and they'll be a little closer to the Seminoles and Tigers in the Atlantic.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seminoles next!

I'm warning you ahead of time; tomorrow I touch on your defending national champs:
Florida State!!

Oh yeah, I'll do Wake Forest too.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preview segment: The Pittsburgh Panthers

Key games: 9/5 @ Boston College (The winner of this game gets some hope in climbing their respective divisions).
10/16 vs. Virginia Tech (This Thursday night game is big for both teams in the Coastal).
11/1 vs. Duke (Maybe the most exciting thing that happened to the Panthers last season was their 58-55 shootout win over the Blue Devils [which is the last loss Duke had before they took the Coastal]).
11/22 vs. Syracuse (One point. One stinking point saved Pitt from being home for the holidays in 2013).

The Hawkeyes coming to town is not a key game?

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida State

Llllllladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce a powerful team from the Atlantic Coast Conference.

They are being led towards the forum by their head coach: a disciple from the coaching tree of the college football hall-of-famer Bobby Bowden, the incredible Jimboooooo Fisherrr...

With a young but strong secondary and your reinging Heisman Trophy holder, the kid that's full of surprises: "Famous" Jameis Winstonnnn...

They blitzed the entire ACC, and in Pasadena triumphed over Auburn in one of the greatest championship games in recent memories to snap the SEC's 8-year national title win streak...

Ladies and gentlemen, your defending national champions of Americaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... The Floridaaaaa Stateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Seminolessssss!

Seriously, what else can you say about what Florida State did in 2013?

Good news: Let's forget about Jameis and point out the other great players the Seminoles have... and there's a lot. Karlos Williams, Rashad Greene, Tre' Jackson, Mario Edwards Jr, a great secondary, the list goes on. But here's the REALLY scary part: Almost everyone from last year's offensive line returns for a chance to repeat.

Bad news: It's the usual problem you get when you're champions of a sport: Everybody will want to take you out, so they'll bring their A-game when you come around on their schedule. The WR's behind Rashad must be ready to step up quickly and we all know about Jameis's problems during the offseason. Think about this: Johnny Manziel may have been polarizing, but he only got into trouble at Texas A&M ONCE. Jameis has had major issues twice already, and that has to stop quick. Oh, and the schedule is harder than last time...

More good news: ...but FSU is a good enough team that they can drop a game and still get into the new 4-team playoff easily.

Key games: 8/30 vs. Oklahoma State [in Arlington] (Let's just say this opening game will be harder than Pittsburgh, and WAY harder than playing Nevada and Idaho last year out-of-conference).
9/20 vs. Clemson (This has been the premier ACC game for a couple of years, and imagine how much better it would be if Clemson shocked the world here).
10/11 @ Syracuse (No, I'm not brown-nosing here... Okay, it's 10% homering and 90% this fact: The Seminoles play Notre Dame right after this. I think this will be a trap game in which Florida State waltz in, thinking they'll blitz this team before a big game, but later they'll be like "Wait, we're down in the 4th quarter? PANIC!!!")
11/15 @ Miami (Let's just say that this year's game will NOT end 41-14).
11/29 vs. Florida (A interesting game every year no matter what the records are).

Bottom line: Yes, I said a lot, but there was a lot of things to talk about. But I think if Jameis stays out of trouble, the ACC will bow to the Seminoles's mercy and they'll get into the 4-team playoff for the chance to repeat as national champs.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wake Forest

Preview segment: The Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Last season: A 4-8 season that I think wasn't as bad as the record. But it was the end of the road for the legendary Jim Grobe as he retired afterwards. Enter former Bowling Green head honcho Dave Clawson, who must rebuild the program with the HUGE shadow of Grobe hovering over him.

Good news: The Deacons have a pretty good secondary and offensive line. And from an X's and O's standpoint, Clawson seems like a good fit in Winston-Salem.

Bad news: Not much else is newsworthy over there as they must break in a new offense while the rest of the teams in the ACC are improving.

Key games: 9/13 @ Utah State (How do you know that it could be a LONG season ahead? When you're worrying about going to Utah State).
9/27 @ Louisville (Wake's ACC opener is against the 3-ring circus that is Louisville. How can it get worse? A trip to Tallahassee is right after this.)
10/18 vs. Syracuse (Maybe the best chance for Wake to win a ACC game at home).
11/29 @ Duke (Wake actually had a chance to make a bowl game last year until Duke ruined everything in Winston-Salem).

Bottom line: Poor Wake... A new coach and a new offense would have equaled a hard season until any circumstances, but their ACC schedule will not help them get stronger. Let's leave them to their rebuilding and check back with them in 2015.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson

Preview segment: The Clemson University Tigers

Last season: Confession time, folks. During last Christmas me and my brother entered the HDTV era (with new Vizio TV's), and the first big thing I watched was the Orange Bowl where Clemson defeated Ohio State. There I saw what happened when Sammy Watkins was on point, and the ACC was all the better for it.
Now that the Clemson fans has a new binky-toy in that Orange Bowl trophy, it's time to see what's next for this South Carolina school.

Good news: The defense looks like it'll be even better than 2013's 25th ranking with a strong defensive line and a fine secondary. The QB position looks like a done deal with Cole Stoudt winning the job in the spring, which will ease the pain of losing Tajh Boyd.

Bad news: Tajh may be hard to replace, but Sammy will be even harder; the WR position has talent but not a lot of experience. More help from the running backs would be appreciated too.

Key games: 8/30 @ Georgia (Last year's game between the 2 was the first truly great slobber-knocker of the season, with offense and big plays galore. This year's game will also be good... but for different reasons).
9/20 @ Florida State (Good: Clemson has only lost 2 ACC games over the last 2 years.
Bad: Both losses were against the rival Seminoles.
Worse: Both losses cost Clemson ACC championships).
10/11 vs. Louisville (If Florida State runs off with the Atlantic [and they might do it by this date], this will be for second place... and I see Clemson pounding the new guys in Death Valley).
11/15 @ Georgia Tech (This rivalry series has lost some heat, but it still will be big for both of these teams)
11/29 vs. South Carolina (Dabo Swinney has the Tigers thinking national honers now. The last big step he needs to take to have the Tigers thinking about winning national titles? Stopping the Gamecocks in the Palmetto State).

Bottom line: The defense will carry the Tigers, but how in the world can they stop Georgia and Florida State in the first 3 games with a rebuilding offense? It's hard, but if they stop one of those 2 I think they can make a run at a "Big 6" bowl game... providing Dabo keeps the offense rolling.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami

The final preview segment for the ACC: The Miami Hurricanes

Last season: One of the most infamous programs in the FBS (if not THE most infamous) saw some flashes of their old glory days. They started 7-0, got to #7 in the pools...:clap: and then old rivals Florida State and Virginia Tech ruined everything with 2 butt-whippings. Things got even worse when DUKE pushed them out of the ACC title game, and the season crashed and burned in their bowl game against Louisville.:doh:
Experiencing some good times was great for Al Golden and the Hurricanes, but I think things will get worse for Miami before they get better.

Good news: When it comes to raw talent, Miami is the closest to the Seminoles thanks to their recruiting staff. The defense HAS to be better than last year's, and the running game is set with Duke Johnson and a good O-line.

Bad news: None of that will mean a lick if the QB position isn't settled, and Miami's is FAR from settled; the Day 1 starter could be a true freshmen. Oh, and maybe Miami should rush the passer a little bit more in 2014.

Key games: 9/1 @ Louisville (As I probably mentioned earlier, this is the Week 1 game I'm personally most interested in... and it could be a nightmare for Miami if they can't get a QB going).
9/20 @ Nebraska (Just warning you guys ahead of time: If you watch this game, be prepared to hear about their previous encounters over and over and over again).
9/27 vs. Duke (How do you know when your glory days are far away? When you're worried about playing DUKE! In all seriousness, this will be a revenge game for Miami).
10/23 @ Virginia Tech (See above game).
11/15 vs. Florida State (This is one of those that could be REALLY good or REALLY bad for the Hurricanes).

Bottom line: Look, Miami will be a good team... eventually. But if answers on offense are not found, the dream ACC title match between Miami and Florida State will not happen... AGAIN.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction for the ACC

My predictions for the Atlantic Coast Conference:

Atlantic Division:
1. Florida State (Conference champions, Playoff)
2. Clemson (Maybe "Big 6" game)
3. Louisville
4. Syracuse
5. Boston College
6. North Carolina State
7. Wake Forest

Coastal Division:
1. Virginia Tech
2. North Carolina
3. Duke
4. Miami
5. Georgia Tech
6. Pittsburgh
7. Virginia

Tomorrow I start looking at the Big 12... and LORD it won't be easy for me!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas State

The first preview segment for the Big 12 Conference: The Kansas State University Wildcats

Last season: The Wildcats lost so many good players from 2012's Big 12 title team that they lost to North Dakota State in their opener (which I [and Lou Holtz] kinda saw coming).
But leave it to Bill Snyder: He gave us Reason #89,437 why he should be on the Mt. Rushmore of college football coaches as he found a QB and a defense that dragged K-State to 8-5 and a bowl win over Michigan. Now expectations are high again for these guys, and why not?

Bad news: We all know that defense in the Big 12 is mostly a myth, and K-State's may be the biggest myth in the conference; their defense got gutted by graduation and NFL defections.

Good news: But let's calm down, because that happens when you go the junior-college way of recruiting. And this IS Snyder we're talking about, so let's not bury the defense fully yet. Besides, the offense will be awesome with Jake Waters returning, alongside his big target Tyler Lockett.

Key games: 9/6 @ Iowa State (The Cyclones won't be awful until later in the season, so K-State should be careful in their Big 12 opener).
9/18 vs. Auburn (One of the most anticipated early games in 2014 is in the "Little Apple" of Manhattan, Kansas, and K-State needs to bring it. Otherwise, Auburn will shred that new defense into pieces).
10/18 @ Oklahoma (The Wildcats will have 2 weeks to steel themselves for this trip to Norman, but it's still going to be tough. But hey, what can make things worse?)
10/25 vs. Texas (Going up against the Big 12 wild-card team right afterwards, that's what!)
12/6 @ Baylor (If Oklahoma fouls up [and there IS a chance that can happen], this could decide the conference).

Bottom line: The Big 12 slate is always tough (especially now that everyone plays each other), but since Snyder's still in Manhattan don't count out K-State on ANYTHING.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State

Preview segment: Oklahoma State University Cowboys

Last season: "ARRRGHHH" is what most O.K State fans said after that Bedlam Game with the Sooners, and I don't blame them. They were SO DAMN CLOSE to capping one of their best-ever seasons with a Big 12 title until the defense rolled over and died at the WORST possible moment.
So thanks to that, Oklahoma takes a BCS berth, Baylor won the undisputed Big 12 title, and the Cowboys were left to get shot down by a old foe (Missouri) in the Cotton Bowl. Now what will happen to Mike Gundy and the Stillwater faithful in 2014? I have no earthly idea.

Good news: This time, O.K State is looking to stick with J.W Walsh as their quarterback, and the RB and WR positions are pretty stacked with talent as well.

Bad news: The defense is a different story. Don't get me wrong, it has talent, but not a lot of experience (only 4 starters from a pretty good unit last year returns). Actually now that I think of it, the WR position is pretty inexperienced as well along with the O-line, and how much will last year's disappointing finish affect the program?

Key games: 8/30 vs. Florida State [in Arlington, Texas] (This will be great publicity for the Cowboys, but I think the only way they can win this one is to out-shoot the Seminoles... and I can't see that happening).
9/25 vs. Texas Tech (Oooo... the Cowboys' Big 12 opener is against a team that wants forward progress in the conference).
10/25 vs. West Virginia (Last year in Morgantown, the Cowboys suffered a hiccup (30-21 for the Mountaineers) that would later douse any national title talk in 2013).
11/22 @ Baylor (After the Longhorns, Gundy must have his team ready for a Baylor team that'll be rested [after playing the Sooners]... and wanting revenge for the Cowboys ruining their 2013 national title dreams).
12/6 @ Oklahoma (Gulp... O.K State has won in this series only once since 2002, and if the Sooners are in the Big 12 hunt they won't show any mercy).

Bottom line: Teams like the Cowboys are one of the reasons I dreaded previewing the Big 12, because if they're good things will go haywire. How well the defense adapts to all their new pieces will determine if they challenge for the conference gold, or just be a 7-5 type of team.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New member, just seeing if I can post a comment.