• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My 49er mock draft rounds 1-7

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to that in Calvin's junior year he had 76 receptions for 1,202 yards and 15 TDs. He posted those numbers with a RB by the name of Reggie Ball throwing him the ball, since they didn't have a QB on their team. And he was consistently being double teamed by every defense in the ACC.

Very true. Don't get me wrong guys. It was just the wow factor from the film that made me post that. I would never actually say and mean someone's comparable to him. Because its never going to happen. Just like nobody will ever be comparable to Moss or Rice. Those kinds of WRs, you just can't emulate again.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a big stance to take. I applaud you for that :suds: What would your definition be then? Because I'm sure there are quite a few teams that would love to have Kaep. His natural talent is undeniable. I do agree that talented doesn't = established. His numbers: 31 TDs, 16 Turnovers. Almost 2 to one ratio. I'd say that's pretty established as good QB play. I understand that he does have his erratic times where he does something baffling, but every young QB does that. Even Luck.

This has been rehashed a lot lately so I won't go too in depth with it. But Kap hasn't done nearly as much as he should have given the team around him, and he has struggled with some of the bare basics of QB play and hasn't given any indication that he will improve at all. If anything he regressed this year. Based on potential he certainly has value (perhaps a lot of value). But based on pure QB play? There's probably about 15 QBs I would take over him. Manning, Manning, Luck, Rodgers, Brady, Romo, Ryan, Foles, Stafford and maybe Wilson, Tannehill, Cutler, and RG3 all come to mind without thinking about it too hard.

I want a QB who is better than average.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been rehashed a lot lately so I won't go too in depth with it. But Kap hasn't done nearly as much as he should have given the team around him, and he has struggled with some of the bare basics of QB play and hasn't given any indication that he will improve at all. If anything he regressed this year. Based on potential he certainly has value (perhaps a lot of value). But based on pure QB play? There's probably about 15 QBs I would take over him. Manning, Manning, Luck, Rodgers, Brady, Romo, Ryan, Foles, Stafford and maybe Wilson, Tannehill, Cutler, and RG3 all come to mind without thinking about it too hard.

All of your points are valid, and make sense. If I was in your shoes, I would have a similar opinion. I mean, he came out of an option offense and has had to adjust to everything pretty much. I would point to his running ability and say that is a huge redeeming quality, but he is not smart with the ball when it comes to running(9 TDs, 10 fumbles). So I completely understand. I just look at the numbers. Being thrown into the fire and coming out with a QB rating of 98.3(2012 season) means a lot to me. Maybe its a product of the team around him though. But I've seen QBs still play badly with a great team. So he deserves some credit for at least putting up good numbers.

And then it comes down to who you can take at QB in the draft, and what needs you have. The Niners need more explosiveness on their offense obviously, so one WR will more than likely get drafted. Also need to look at your secondary. Besides Reid and Brock, you have a lot of questions. Depth on the interior lines too. You've got some aging players there. So I just don't see how taking a QB early would be the right decision here unless you get a golden opportunity on somebody that drops, and I still don't know if I would do it.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Many of you know that I was not the biggest supporter of the Corey Lemonier pick in the draft last year. Even though I had given him a 3rd round grade (and he was drafted within that range) I wasn't fully comfortable in getting him there. I always questioned his lateral movements and knew he'd have a hard time containing RBs on the edges if/when it was only he and the back facing each other in the open field. Also, I wasn't too impress with his overall pass rush skills, even though it wasn't bad at all.

Anyway, I don't envision Lemon ever becoming a viable threat for us that opposing teams have to gameplan against on any given Sunday. Unlike most of you, I am still looking for that OLB monster to lineup opposite of Aldon. A 2014 prospect that I think could reach that level (of course not as good as Aldon, but at least better than Brooks who's actually a good player) is Boise's Demarcus Lawrence. The guy has everything that Lemon lacks. The lateral movement, the agility, the instincts, and ability to keep up with shifty backs in the open field, an array of pass rush moves, etc.

If we could manage to draft this guy in the 4th round, I will be very happy. Not many people know of him but he will soon start to climb the draft boards very rapidly. Knowing that I think we should at least consider him in the 3rd (since we have three picks in the 3rd round), since we could afford to "reach" (for lack of better words) for him at that spot. I do question his closing speed though - maybe because I've been spoiled by Aldon's talent over the years and try to compare every OLB to him. Which is somewhat unfair...

Highlights really means crap when evaluating prospects, but certain things you can see in the film that does not deceive the eye. Things like his movement skills, and relentlessness/motor:

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You'll see the light on Lemonier soon enough Bingo. Dude was one of the best athletes in the 2013 draft, and he was also one of the youngest players in the draft. With those long arms & quick first step he'll have no problem setting the edge in time once he gets stronger & learns better technique.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You'll see the light on Lemonier soon enough Bingo. Dude was one of the best athletes in the 2013 draft, and he was also one of the youngest players in the draft. With those long arms & quick first step he'll have no problem setting the edge in time once he gets stronger & learns better technique.

He's a member of our team now, so I sure hope so. I would love to see that happen. Will he get better, of course he will. We managed to develop Brooks to become a very good OLB, I think it's possible Lemon gets to Brooks level. However, I don't think he will ever be that brute force opposite of Aldon that we are still searching for as an organization. Despite how good Aldon is (he has a chance to be the best ever), I think a combination of Houston/Hali is better than Aldon/Brooks or Aldon/Lemonier. Don't get me wrong Sick, I am rooting for him, but at the same time I am not losing my sense of reality knowing the facts about him.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of OLB pass rusher do you want though? Houston is more of a speed guy, he's like a bullet untouched from the snap...

Does Aldon need that bullet opposite him or powerhouse on all areas like himself?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ugh! Don't remind me about Justin Houston! I wanted him pretty badly.

...I wanted Greg Little more though, so I guess I can't be too upset about it. Between-the-ears problems with that guy. :redface:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jernigan has a first round grade in every ranking..........much less sliding to end of 2

Jernigan is a fat, lazy slob who can't even play three plays in a row without a rest.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind 49ers taking a shot at Michael Sam from Missouri. He just came out and said he was gay. He led the SEC in sacks. People have him going in the 3rd-4th rd. For someone who led the SEC sacks you would think he would go higher.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know its a homer pick but:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLceQLeY2f8]Official Highlights | Georgia Tech DE Jeremiah Attaochu - YouTube[/ame]

Attaochu is the all-time leader for sacks at Georgia Tech with 31. Dominated in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 defense. Played 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE, and 4-3 OLB. Was dominant at all 3 positions. He was double teamed by many teams, and still couldn't stop him. A little undersized for a 3-4 OLB, but he can adjust. He's proven it by playing 3 different positions. I think he could end up being a 1st round pick if he has a good combine and workouts.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind 49ers taking a shot at Michael Sam from Missouri. He just came out and said he was gay. He led the SEC in sacks. People have him going in the 3rd-4th rd. For someone who led the SEC sacks you would think he would go higher.

And thus effectively ended his shot at an NFL career. Pretty stupid of him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
And thus effectively ended his shot at an NFL career. Pretty stupid of him.

As usual you typed words; and the opposite of what you say is true. Cudos for the consistency.

The guy's still gonna get drafted. Mizzu knows how to produce pass rushers. There's a bit of a Manny Lawson factor because Ealy is clearly the better prospect, but he's still a quick, firey guy who projects well in a 3-4.

This is a weak DE / OLB class. Someone will draft him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, good thing it was Michael Sam instead of Virginia Tech's James Gayle.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As usual you typed words; and the opposite of what you say is true. Cudos for the consistency.

The guy's still gonna get drafted. Mizzu knows how to produce pass rushers. There's a bit of a Manny Lawson factor because Ealy is clearly the better prospect, but he's still a quick, firey guy who projects well in a 3-4.

This is a weak DE / OLB class. Someone will draft him.

You don't think his advertising his personal business is going to effect his career in the NFL? I do. I think they'll find a way to get rid of this guy just like they did with Kluwe.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is this millenium's Randall Cunningham.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You don't think his advertising his personal business is going to effect his career in the NFL? I do. I think they'll find a way to get rid of this guy just like they did with Kluwe.

You didn't say "effect his career," (and it's affect) you said, "ended his shot at an NFL career."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When people brought up distractions, as in media and cameras all over the place asking players what they thought, I thought that it'd eventually go away. But then when you mentioned Kluwe, and someone else mentioned him too, this could be a problem if Michael Sam does not live up to where he thinks he'll be. I think that it's a built-in excuse, even if he doesn't want to use it.

In the short-term, it's an excuse for being picked later even if he's not. The only way to see whether this was a true factor is if Clowney said he was gay. A number one pick or top-five pick saying he's gay and plummets that might have some cause-and-effect. But a midrounder? Some would acknowledge that he was a midrounder already and some could say he was a mid rounder because his stock fell after coming out.

One thing that bugs me about the media is how they will lament on media distractions and then continues to do it. They'll say that it's unfair for the kid. And then they are the first ones there. I understand that if you do not cover something and others do, you lose ratings, but it just seems like it's a nonpoint then. Don't act like you don't want to cover it if you going to cover it. A good example was the Favre and Tebow coverage. ESPN obviously had good ratings for them, but they truly didn't want to cause distraction, them leaving would have lessened the circus.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me of the Valerie Plame incident. The Bush Administration leaked information about her being an agent and it was supposed to be top-secret. Some reporter reported it and her career was ruined. They went to go punish the Bush Administration, as they should, but I thought that the reporter got off easy.

The reporter apparently knew that it was classified information and reported it. Yes, the Bush Administration leaked the information, but if nobody had printed it, her career could still be going. There was a chance that if that reporter did not report it, somebody else would, but it seems like when you're playing with someone's career, you let someone else ruin her career, not you. But it's all about the ratings making a name for yourself. They could have private action before a closed court to get the Administration in trouble. There are ways to do it, though it would be very difficult, nearly impossible. Again, weighing the choices of getting the Administration in trouble versus ruining the career of an agent, the choice should've been clear.