• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's Tried To Trade Ackley

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dear lord some people are stupid. and they just love to demonstrate it over and over again.

wow.

:clap: says the guy who doesn't know the difference between a 2 and 4 seam fastball.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is kind of ridiculous. If the M's or Marlins are really willing to get rid of a couple of the best young players in the league in some stupid trade then the respective fan bases should just burn down the stadiums and be done with MLB once and for all.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like going back and reading old articles on players. Here is a clip from after we drafted Ackley.

Ackley, who hit 22 homers this year while playing the bulk of his games at UNC's cozy new ballpark, has been compared to Wade Boggs, George Brett and Todd Helton at the high end, and Darin Erstad more realistically. Zduriencik said he had his own comparables, but declined to name them to avoid putting pressure on Ackley.
"He has a very nice set of skills," Zduriencik said. "He can run, he's a good hitter, he has power; all the things you like in a hitter, he possesses."

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More:
Tom McNamara, the Mariners' first-year scouting director, telegraphed his intentions with their coveted No. 2 overall pick in mid-May when he summoned his boss to Boston.
North Carolina was playing Boston College, and McNamara wanted Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik to see the player that McNamara was increasingly focused on: Dustin Ackley, the Tar Heels' left-handed hitting machine.
"There were a couple of other guys in the mix, but he stood out for us," McNamara said. "When you bring your GM to a game, you're pretty much making a statement."

--------

Makes you wonder who the other two ere that they had in mind. Trout? LOL.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23uKZcbMeoA]Dustin Ackley HR vs. Greg Reynolds - YouTube[/ame]

Ackley hitting video from college. He swings at the 49 second mark. His balance is completely different. When he swings now, he pulls his head and is so off balance almost falling on the follow thru. He hit .401 over 3 college seasons!!! Go back and watch your own, old video Ackley!!!!!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's strange that johnson hasn't addressed the head movement at the very least

ackley is just lost

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. My wife and I watch all the games and she can pick out when he is going to ground out to the right side vs getting a hit. He pulls his head and his lead leg goes towards first instead of the pitcher. When he corrects it, it is right up the middle or the other way. He has to learn he can pull the ball without stepping out of the bucket.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. My wife and I watch all the games and she can pick out when he is going to ground out to the right side vs getting a hit. He pulls his head and his lead leg goes towards first instead of the pitcher. When he corrects it, it is right up the middle or the other way. He has to learn he can pull the ball without stepping out of the bucket.

Yea all the pitchers have picked up on it. Just paint the outside corner and he either takes it for a strike or tries to pull it. When he is taking them for strikes he eventually gets down 2 strikes and swings at junk in the dirt

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. The other thing I hate about him (I was a energitic player in my day) is his demeanor. I hated playing with or coaching emotionless players. I know they can still be productive, but I hate them. I want fire. I rarely even see him talking in the dugout with others. You see Felix, Cano, Seager, and even Rodney talking and joking. Him? No.

Okay I am done ranting over him.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. The other thing I hate about him (I was a energitic player in my day) is his demeanor. I hated playing with or coaching emotionless players. I know they can still be productive, but I hate them. I want fire. I rarely even see him talking in the dugout with others. You see Felix, Cano, Seager, and even Rodney talking and joking. Him? No.

Okay I am done ranting over him.

I say that at least a few days a week. However days keep passing, and he keeps getting run out there so its hard to resist.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More:
Tom McNamara, the Mariners' first-year scouting director, telegraphed his intentions with their coveted No. 2 overall pick in mid-May when he summoned his boss to Boston.
North Carolina was playing Boston College, and McNamara wanted Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik to see the player that McNamara was increasingly focused on: Dustin Ackley, the Tar Heels' left-handed hitting machine.
"There were a couple of other guys in the mix, but he stood out for us," McNamara said. "When you bring your GM to a game, you're pretty much making a statement."

--------

Makes you wonder who the other two ere that they had in mind. Trout? LOL.

To be fair, every other organization would've chosen Ackley if they had the number 2 pick. Drafting Hultzen on the other hand is a different story.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, every other organization would've chosen Ackley if they had the number 2 pick. Drafting Hultzen on the other hand is a different story.

I don't know that and not trying to be flip. Based on stats, yes. But some teams dig deeper than stats and look to see if players have peaked and fit the college game better or actually have the ability to grow and play at the next level with the same talent.

It would be fun to see other teams boards after the fact.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that and not trying to be flip. Based on stats, yes. But some teams dig deeper than stats and look to see if players have peaked and fit the college game better or actually have the ability to grow and play at the next level with the same talent.

It would be fun to see other teams boards after the fact.

Maybe but I just recall it was a consensus that Stasburg and Ackley were 1 and 2.

That is one reason why I'd hate being the director of scouting because scouting baseball players is so much harder than scouting any other sport.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that as well, but just saying all teams under the top two, especially in Ackley's case, would say Ackley would be #2 for both reasons; 1) They mean it. 2) They don't want him so they want M's to take him leaving their players still on the board.

There is no doubt he was the second best college player that year, but my point is that not every great college player, in all sports, makes the great pro player. That is where good scouting has to take over and say, 'This guy looks good now, but will be over-matched or not athletic enough at the next level". It is just too easy to say he was the next best college player so let's take him.