• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's Tried To Trade Ackley

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a quick mention on 11/22. Why a catcher when they are high on Zunino?

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"11/22/2014","JL spoke with Jack Z. Jazk Z said he's getting a lot of calls from Clubs asking him if he can get Castro from us. Jack Z asked if we would do Ackley for Castro. JL said no, we wouldn't do that. Jack Z asked if there was someone he could add to Ackley. JL said he would take a look."

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a quick mention on 11/22. Why a catcher when they are high on Zunino?

If I am interpreting correctly, I think it was essentially going to be a 3 team deal. They were going to acquire Castro and ship him elsewhere for something else.

Castro is a nice player but I think it goes to show how little Ackley's value is. And that was before this year after he hit nearly .300 in the 2nd half.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wrote the same thing on another M's thread I posted this on. Last weeks article said that other GM's were amazed by what Jack wanted for Ackley and Smoak. He is trying to dig himself out of the hole he fell into with these two guys. Not going to happen. Cut bait and move on.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other part I took from the article which ticks me off is where Miami offered Stanton for Springer and their young SS. I knew Stanton could be had and I said offer them the farm. One stud MLB player is worth 5 'prospects' all day long with very few exceptions. ERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't try hard enough. Ackley has shell-shock.

Ackley - plenty of hitting ability, zero confidence
Smoak - plenty of confidence, zero hitting ability
(Sigh)

Jack Z - plenty of confidence, zero sense of reality.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other part I took from the article which ticks me off is where Miami offered Stanton for Springer and their young SS. I knew Stanton could be had and I said offer them the farm. One stud MLB player is worth 5 'prospects' all day long with very few exceptions. ERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Most definitely, Walker, Paxton, Seager, Ackley, Smoak and some other fringe guy like Almonte should get that done in my opinion. 2 young ace ability pitchers, an all star caliber 3b that Miami could flip at a deadline then two dead ends that have potential. Either way, offer the farm. They need pitching but they need that star to go with Cano and Felix.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most definitely, Walker, Paxton, Seager, Ackley, Smoak and some other fringe guy like Almonte should get that done in my opinion. 2 young ace ability pitchers, an all star caliber 3b that Miami could flip at a deadline then two dead ends that have potential. Either way, offer the farm. They need pitching but they need that star to go with Cano and Felix.
I would trade a lot for Stanton, but not all 3 of Walker, Paxton, and Seager, plus others.

More like Walker, Peterson, Franklin, ++

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would trade a lot for Stanton, but not all 3 of Walker, Paxton, and Seager, plus others.

More like Walker, Peterson, Franklin, ++

As a fan, I would trade Walker and Paxton in a heartbeat for Stanton. Seattle will have a much easier time finding guys for the rotation than they ever will for a player like Stanton. Having a rotation like the 90's Braves is excellent and all but they don't need a bunch of aces or number 2's, they need the type of pitching they have currently with a more potent offense. Not just hope and pray they can scratch across a couple of runs. They are relying too heavily on Cano, Seager, Jones and Zunino. if those 4 have a bad night at the same time they lose. They need another guy like Stanton who even if he has an off night his threat will lead to an opportunity. Right now, other pitchers can walk Cano to get to Seager, no team will ever walk Cano and Stanton to get to Seager. Threats are just as good as actually hitters IMO.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising, just shows that the Astros GM has a plan with his rebuild and isn't an idiot like Jack Z.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan, I would trade Walker and Paxton in a heartbeat for Stanton. Seattle will have a much easier time finding guys for the rotation than they ever will for a player like Stanton. Having a rotation like the 90's Braves is excellent and all but they don't need a bunch of aces or number 2's, they need the type of pitching they have currently with a more potent offense. Not just hope and pray they can scratch across a couple of runs. They are relying too heavily on Cano, Seager, Jones and Zunino. if those 4 have a bad night at the same time they lose. They need another guy like Stanton who even if he has an off night his threat will lead to an opportunity. Right now, other pitchers can walk Cano to get to Seager, no team will ever walk Cano and Stanton to get to Seager. Threats are just as good as actually hitters IMO.
Walker and Paxton is a different trade than Walker, Paxton, Seager +++

Like I said, I wouldn't trade all 3 of them plus others for Stanton.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker and Paxton is a different trade than Walker, Paxton, Seager +++

Like I said, I wouldn't trade all 3 of them plus others for Stanton.

That is alot no question, but we eventually have to realize that Seager is going to be on the block and as a fan if he would have to be a part of a deal then I would be ok with it. I'd love it if he were going to be a Mariner for 10 years but fact is they drafted Peterson and given the choice between Seager and Ackley/Chavez types or a Peterson (with an Ackley type bust) with Stanton I would choose the latter.

As AZ pointed out there is no sure thing that Walker and Paxton are going to fulfill their potential. Ideally I'd toss Hultzen in a deal before Paxton or Walker but not sure if he is even tradeable at the moment.

As a fan, I would feel a whole lot better with Jack if he went at it with Peterson, Stanton, Cano then round out the rotation then Seager, Cano then the potential of Walker and Paxton.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is alot no question, but we eventually have to realize that Seager is going to be on the block and as a fan if he would have to be a part of a deal then I would be ok with it. I'd love it if he were going to be a Mariner for 10 years but fact is they drafted Peterson and given the choice between Seager and Ackley/Chavez types or a Peterson (with an Ackley type bust) with Stanton I would choose the latter.

As AZ pointed out there is no sure thing that Walker and Paxton are going to fulfill their potential. Ideally I'd toss Hultzen in a deal before Paxton or Walker but not sure if he is even tradeable at the moment.

As a fan, I would feel a whole lot better with Jack if he went at it with Peterson, Stanton, Cano then round out the rotation then Seager, Cano then the potential of Walker and Paxton.

How bout Seager and Peterson? It's not like Peterson is locked into 3B or something.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way we trade Seager. Trading your second best offensive player for more offense is not a good idea, especially when he's about as good as it gets for his position.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way we trade Seager. Trading your second best offensive player for more offense is not a good idea, especially when he's about as good as it gets for his position.

I think the people who suggesting trading Seagar are suggesting it with the assumption that he does not have a long term future here. We haven't heard a damn thing from him nor the Mariners concerning a multi-year deal. Most players in their third year, that are as good as Seager, either have a contract that carries through their arbitration years or they are negotiating one. But, again, nothing from the player nor managment conccerning a Seager contract extension. Why not? It isn't too soon. No way in hell that it is too soon.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the people who suggesting trading Seagar are suggesting it with the assumption that he does not have a long term future here. We haven't heard a damn thing from him nor the Mariners concerning a multi-year deal. Most players in their third year, that are as good as Seager, either have a contract that carries through their arbitration years or they are negotiating one. But, again, nothing from the player nor managment conccerning a Seager contract extension. Why not? It isn't too soon. No way in hell that it is too soon.

We have him under team control until 2018 so there isn't a pressing need to extend him. I'm sure that once arb. kicks in there's going to be some movement. It would be absolutely stupid not to resign him.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dear lord some people are stupid. and they just love to demonstrate it over and over again.

wow.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not advocating for Seager to be dealt and Peterson isn't a lock for third. Seager should have a future with the club but if he is what Miami would ask for Stanton I wouldn't bat an eye.

But yes, I will admit a Seager, Walker and Paxton deal for him would be idiotic deal unless Miami gave something more back.