• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mozgov just signed by the lakers for 64 million

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wrote a church sermon in the Lakers forum about it but for all you heathens in the General forum, the TLDR version is:

It's a terrible deal. Mozgov is a career best bench player. He does not fit any of the attributes of the supposed style of play for Luke Walton. 4 years is terrible, should be 2 at most. Even with the new cash, its still an overpay. He should be in the Al Jefferson range if not lower. Totally stupid to rush into it the way they did. No one is bidding for fucking Mozgov at 12:01am. At least field a call to Biyombo, who is a better fit. See if you can pry Bogut for cheap if GS signs Durant. Guys like Mozgov would still be available days from now. Nene, Mahinmi, Humphries, etc can all be had over the next couple of days likely for cheaper prices and all are better options imo. Hell, Hibbert is a better option. Mitch saw his top free agents not even give him a meeting and decided to just go for a guy knew for a fact would say yes. That's what this move is and its dumb. Worst deal of any team so far (Turner to Portland) might be 1b

Hibbert isn't a better option by any fucking means.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Luke wanted him more than the FO, so I'd guess he has a plan for him. Been hearing folks say that he'll be the Lakers version of Bogut.

I agree that it's an overpay, but I don't think it's as bad as you are making it out to be. Of course, the proof will be on the court this coming season. If Luke truly has a plan for him, it may not look nearly as bad. If he isn't able to fulfill whatever role Luke has in mind, then it may end up looking even worse.
On the other hand - it's not impossible for Mozgov to make a full recovery and play good - I remember Jason Kidd went through some injuries, bounced bag and won a championship with Dallas. If Deng and Mozgov were to earn their stripes for the Lakers, anything is possible. There is always hope

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Luke wanted him more than the FO, so I'd guess he has a plan for him. Been hearing folks say that he'll be the Lakers version of Bogut.

I agree that it's an overpay, but I don't think it's as bad as you are making it out to be. Of course, the proof will be on the court this coming season. If Luke truly has a plan for him, it may not look nearly as bad. If he isn't able to fulfill whatever role Luke has in mind, then it may end up looking even worse.

Those folks are just lazy. "Hey, Luke wants to run the Warriors system and they just signed a white foreign center. He must be like Bogut!". The two players' skills aren't remotely close. Bogut is a far superior passer and post player with a much higher basketball IQ. Mozgov hasn't demonstrated one skill of Bogut's well enough to even say he could be a "homeless man's Bogut". Considering he's 30, its highly unlikely those skills will surface.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those folks are just lazy. "Hey, Luke wants to run the Warriors system and they just signed a white foreign center. He must be like Bogut!". The two players' skills aren't remotely close. Bogut is a far superior passer and post player with a much higher basketball IQ. Mozgov hasn't demonstrated one skill of Bogut's well enough to even say he could be a "homeless man's Bogut". Considering he's 30, its highly unlikely those skills will surface.
Well the Warriors didn't exactly play defense with a big center - they played mostly small ball which is fine, but I expect much from Luke Walton consider who his dad is and was.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Warriors didn't exactly play defense with a big center - they played mostly small ball which is fine, but I expect much from Luke Walton consider who his dad is and was.

Bill Walton was possibly the most versatile true center in the history of the NBA. (for about 2 years before he got hurt -- not the ancient Bill with the 85/86 Celtics) Mozgov & Bogut are in no way comparable.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Walton was possibly the most versatile true center in the history of the NBA. (for about 2 years before he got hurt -- not the ancient Bill with the 85/86 Celtics) Mozgov & Bogut are in no way comparable.
Don't need him to be that - just need him to get us enough wins for the next two seasons to build the Lakers up. Ingram and Russell will be in the summer league developing their games, Randle and Clarkson will gain some experience playing for the USA in the Olympics. This season if these two veterans can provide leadership and stability - that's all we need. In about two years, our front court will be Randle - Ingram - Russell - Clarkson and possibly Zivac - all young and all good players(hopefully)

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They did not play "mostly" small ball. Their death line up, while their most effective line up, was used in specific situations against certain opponents. Bogut is very much apart of their defensive identity because he's a very good defensive center. You're foolishly selling Bogut way short on that.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did not play "mostly" small ball. Their death line up, while their most effective line up, was used in specific situations against certain opponents. Bogut is very much apart of their defensive identity because he's a very good defensive center. You're foolishly selling Bogut way short on that.

The Warriors came up short though - they choked three games in a row

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogut averaged 5 ppg and 7 rpg - that's not exactly a talented center. Last year the Warriors did better without him. Just saying

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way - I am saying the Lakers don't need Deng and Mozgov to be comparible to Bogut and Green or whoever. The Lakers need them to patient teacher to the kids on the block and help win some games with veteran leadership. We all know these two guys will be getting over paid in two years - By then the kids will be almost ready and getting us to the playoffs. Three years with a team option for the fourth year would have been perfect then four years guaranteed imo

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogut averaged 5 ppg and 7 rpg - that's not exactly a talented center. Last year the Warriors did better without him. Just saying

This statement proves you don't understand basketball.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This statement proves you don't understand basketball.
I do understand basketball - I know the difference between a Shaq Oneal and Bogut. Like I said before - the Lakers don't need a Bogut - they just need some veteran leadership to fill in, be a leader until Russell, Randle, Ingram and Clarkson get developed completely. I've already said Mozgov and Deng will be toast after a couple of years - I expect that, but if we two good years out of them, the kids should be close enough to carry the team to the playoffs. I don't expect to win titles in three years, but making the playoffs will equal big names signing with the Lakers. I said last year that there was no way in hell the Lakers would be contenders in Jim's timeline - they got pissed at me, but that was reality.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Mozgov got a full 4 years guarenteed.

Rumor is Lakers had a Bazemore deal in the opening salvo as well.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They offered Bazemore a contract before Deng. I liked Bazemore when he was with the Lakers. I was hoping they would keep him and Ed Davis.

So disappointed that all 4 years are guaranteed for both Mozgov and Deng. However, that just may be what it took to attract decent players to a 17 win team.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would've been fine with Bazemore, but I think Deng is the better fit to groom Ingram. Plus, he can play the 4 if needed. Bazemore is more of a SG/SF.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Deng deal is a solid deal, even at 4 years. He is versatile, and he can stretch the floor, and is a solid veteran. You could package Deng for a sign and trade or a straight trade and the other team might find his ROI fine.

The Mozgiv deal made little sense unless it was a short contract. Nobody will want Mozgiv when he is 33, 34 or 35. That contract just eats up 4 years.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do understand basketball - I know the difference between a Shaq Oneal and Bogut. Like I said before - the Lakers don't need a Bogut - they just need some veteran leadership to fill in, be a leader until Russell, Randle, Ingram and Clarkson get developed completely. I've already said Mozgov and Deng will be toast after a couple of years - I expect that, but if we two good years out of them, the kids should be close enough to carry the team to the playoffs. I don't expect to win titles in three years, but making the playoffs will equal big names signing with the Lakers. I said last year that there was no way in hell the Lakers would be contenders in Jim's timeline - they got pissed at me, but that was reality.

Saying that you know the difference between Shaq and Bogut is not really an indication of basketball knowledge.

Bogut is a quality player, but his contributions don't always show up on the stat sheet and he did not match up well at all with the Cavs.