• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mozgov just signed by the lakers for 64 million

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Equivalent of approx $11M per under the old cap. Still overpaying, but not as egregiously.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange to sign and back up center to such a deal. Lets see the details before going to biserk. Must be a team opt out in this

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange to sign and back up center to such a deal. Lets see the details before going to biserk. Must be a team opt out in this
It's a desperate move made in panic, but not that bad for the Lakers. Their core is so young that they will have to over-pay at any level and this guy from what I have heard will bring the Lakers some much needed defense and if he lives in the paint will be in the position to score more. With Lebron and Irving - he wasn't given much of a chance in Cleveland

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a desperate move made in panic, but not that bad for the Lakers. Their core is so young that they will have to over-pay at any level and this guy from what I have heard will bring the Lakers some much needed defense and if he lives in the paint will be in the position to score more. With Lebron and Irving - he wasn't given much of a chance in Cleveland

The problem with this "panic" move was it came right as free agency began. It's not like the Lakers settled on this, they sought after him. That's whats most troubling about the signing. No one would have any qualms with it if it happened a week or so into free agency after a lot of key player were signed. But they basically outbid themselves for him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with this "panic" move was it came right as free agency began. It's not like the Lakers settled on this, they sought after him. That's whats most troubling about the signing. No one would have any qualms with it if it happened a week or so into free agency after a lot of key player were signed. But they basically outbid themselves for him.

That's why it wasn't a panic move. The Lakers have their priorities (rim protection and shooting) and targets, and moved on the next big on their list after they couldn't get a meeting with Whiteside or Noah.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why it wasn't a panic move. The Lakers have their priorities (rim protection and shooting) and targets, and moved on the next big on their list after they couldn't get a meeting with Whiteside or Noah.

Yeah I could see it I guess as a panic move in that aspect.

The problem I have with the deal isn't so much that they went after him right away it's that they had no bidders out there against them. They set their own market price. If the Lakers sat back and saw the two deals for centers right now, Noah for 72, and Jefferson for 30, they would have much more leverage.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like the Lakers settled on this, they sought after him.

Not exactly true. They weren't getting a meeting with Whiteside and Noah was going to the Knicks. Those were the centers they had the most interest in. So, they actually did kind of settle on it.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly true. They weren't getting a meeting with Whiteside and Noah was going to the Knicks. Those were the centers they had the most interest in. So, they actually did kind of settle on it.

Well when you call the guy at 12:01 as your first call, you're pretty much seeking after him. Being not afforded a meeting with Noah or Whiteside doesn't make it so that you settled. That's like saying the Blazers are settling for offering Parsons the max because they couldn't get a meeting with Durant. They were realistic about their options and went after him right away. Same for the Lakers. They were realistic in the market of players they could get and went after Mozgof right away. Even though there wasn't any real market for him yet established.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The details of the deal is what matters. Is it 2 years and an opt out? I can see that. The Dwightmare deal in Boston if it takes place is rumored at two years with one year gauranteed and an opt out. So Mozgov is only overpaid if it is a long term deal

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that - but it's like firing the first shot and in this case it fired a round to all of the free agents that the Lakers hope will notice them

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible. Lakers will continue to be part of the NBA dumpster with the Sixers and Suns

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well when you call the guy at 12:01 as your first call, you're pretty much seeking after him. Being not afforded a meeting with Noah or Whiteside doesn't make it so that you settled.

I disagree. The fact that they knew they weren't getting a meeting with their first 2 choices and went to a 3rd choice, is the very definition of settling. They settled on a 3rd option.

They were able to call Mozgov quickly because they already knew they weren't getting Whiteside or Noah, who were their first choices. If you know you're not getting a meeting with your top 2 choices, there's no point in wasting time. They aren't looking at Mozgov as a long term solution anyway. They needed a couple of solid vets to help with all of the young guys and Mozgov provides that.

I also think that part of the reason they chose Mozgov is that they drafted Ivica Zubac, so he can help with his development as well.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The details of the deal is what matters. Is it 2 years and an opt out? I can see that. The Dwightmare deal in Boston if it takes place is rumored at two years with one year gauranteed and an opt out. So Mozgov is only overpaid if it is a long term deal

I have heard 3 different rumors. I heard it has a team option on year 4, I've heard it has a team option on years 3 and 4 and I've heard that it has no options because they can amnesty him after 2 years.

So who knows? :noidea:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually think it's a good move even though I think they made it in panic mode somewhat, but he also is an attention getter

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The fact that they knew they weren't getting a meeting with their first 2 choices and went to a 3rd choice, is the very definition of settling. They settled on a 3rd option.

They were able to call Mozgov quickly because they already knew they weren't getting Whiteside or Noah, who were their first choices. If you know you're not getting a meeting with your top 2 choices, there's no point in wasting time. They aren't looking at Mozgov as a long term solution anyway. They needed a couple of solid vets to help with all of the young guys and Mozgov provides that.

I also think that part of the reason they chose Mozgov is that they drafted Ivica Zubac, so he can help with his development as well.
That's what I have been thinking and saying - If the Lakers get two of those four years, they will have got their money's worth. They got the other draft pick for two years from now. By then he will be with the Lakers and will be playing.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats why the duration is the key. I am ok with Dwight on a short deal, although truthfully its Al Horford and a max deal I want

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is mozgov had some type of surgery and was never the same as he was that first season we got him

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats why the duration is the key. I am ok with Dwight on a short deal, although truthfully its Al Horford and a max deal I want

Dwight might go to boston?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is mozgov had some type of surgery and was never the same as he was that first season we got him

Word is that the problem was that he came back too fast and wasn't completely healthy. I expect that he did or will pass a physical and he has the off-season to heal completely.