• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mountain West seeking partnership with PAC12

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, what the SEC does is quite smart, and deliberate. By not playing any more tough games than they need to, the SEC assures itself of having a better overall W/L record (since by definition the average winning percentage of conference play will be .500). Thus a win over a bad Auburn or Kentucky goes down as a victory over a 4 or 6 win team instead of the zero or two wins that these schools actually earned over decent teams.

Florida has long been the dominant team in the state of Florida, and even when playing in Miami or Tallahassee, they know that many Gator fans will be in attendance, so they know that all other things being equal, they still will have a much better situation than if they were traveling across the country to a different region. Florida hasn't done that since 1990 or 91, if I'm not mistaken, when they lost to Syracuse. They swore to never do that again, and true to their word, the Gators haven't had an out of state non-conference game since.

While no one disputes that the SEC schedule is challenging, by carefully limiting interdivisional games to a set rival, Mike Slive has made it very advantageous for the top teams in each division. The truth is that in any given year, only a few games are going to be truly challenging, and that the odds favor the top teams in most cases. Thus the path for a Florida, Georgia, Alabama, or LSU is easier than it would be if they traveled more or played more of a true round robin conference schedule involving all the teams in the conference.

But all of this truly avoids the real issue. What business do teams with the finest players, biggest budgets, and best coaches in America have playing teams with budgets and players a tenth as good? What these teams do, plain and simple, is purchase easy wins. This in no small part has helped butress the perception of SEC superiority.

Like I said, it is working the system to the hilt. I can hardly blame the SEC for doing it, after all, if one can do the moral equivalent of picking on children and get away with it, why not?

Well, other than the fact that it is morally bankrupt, of course.

tumblr_m46vsaWDyL1qfwos3o1_500.gif

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His job is to get to 1,000 posts in less than three weeks, smiles......and he's on pace.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, what the SEC does is quite smart, and deliberate. By not playing any more tough games than they need to, the SEC assures itself of having a better overall W/L record (since by definition the average winning percentage of conference play will be .500). Thus a win over a bad Auburn or Kentucky goes down as a victory over a 4 or 6 win team instead of the zero or two wins that these schools actually earned over decent teams.

Florida has long been the dominant team in the state of Florida, and even when playing in Miami or Tallahassee, they know that many Gator fans will be in attendance, so they know that all other things being equal, they still will have a much better situation than if they were traveling across the country to a different region. Florida hasn't done that since 1990 or 91, if I'm not mistaken, when they lost to Syracuse. They swore to never do that again, and true to their word, the Gators haven't had an out of state non-conference game since.

While no one disputes that the SEC schedule is challenging, by carefully limiting interdivisional games to a set rival, Mike Slive has made it very advantageous for the top teams in each division. The truth is that in any given year, only a few games are going to be truly challenging, and that the odds favor the top teams in most cases. Thus the path for a Florida, Georgia, Alabama, or LSU is easier than it would be if they traveled more or played more of a true round robin conference schedule involving all the teams in the conference.

But all of this truly avoids the real issue. What business do teams with the finest players, biggest budgets, and best coaches in America have playing teams with budgets and players a tenth as good? What these teams do, plain and simple, is purchase easy wins. This in no small part has helped butress the perception of SEC superiority.

Like I said, it is working the system to the hilt. I can hardly blame the SEC for doing it, after all, if one can do the moral equivalent of picking on children and get away with it, why not?

1272964790_glenn-beck-crying.gif

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi, my name's Smiles. I think it's unfair that we can't be in the Big 12 or Pac 12 and that an AQ team with more losses can get a BCS bowl bid over us just because we are in a conference that sucks.

It's not our fault that we play a bunch of scrubs. Nobody will play us because we are too good and we don't have enough money to lure a team like Alabama up here. And that's unfair.

We won't take a one-and-done because we are too proud. (Boise AD laughs as he knows he's got Smiles totally conned!) We won't take a meager ordinary payout because we are worth way more money than that. (Boise AD laughs again at Smiles.)

270312_man_who_cant_stop_laughing_t.jpg

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you represent the ACC. The most pitful AQ conference since the inception of the BCS in 1998.......by a landslide, more pathetic than the Big Least even. A shithouse conference just like the MWC. And yet you're on here talkin'. Unreal.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you represent the ACC. The most pitful AQ conference since the inception of the BCS in 1998.......by a landslide, more pathetic than the Big Least even. A shithouse conference just like the MWC. And yet you're on here talkin'. Unreal.

The ACC has 2 teams that have won the BCS title since its inception and a third team that lost the title game.

You were saying...

For you to say that the ACC is a shithouse conference and worse than the AAC is just your anger talking again. C'mon B4L you know better than that.

MWC had 6 teams out of 10 finish < .500

ACC had 5 teams out of 12 finish < .500

:fail:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC has 2 teams that have won the BCS title since its inception and a third team that lost the title game.

You were saying...

For you to say that the ACC is a shithouse conference and worse than the AAC is just your anger talking again. C'mon B4L you know better than that.

MWC had 6 teams out of 10 finish < .500

ACC had 5 teams out of 12 finish < .500

:fail:
The ACC has those team now but only FSU was actually part of the ACC when it won the BCS NCG. Miami and VT were not.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one "sober that is" is going to compare the MWC to the ACC or PAC 12 top to bottom over the last 10 years. However, the top half of each is a different story. Isn't that where the top 10 or 15% of the elite teams in the country claim separation from the rest anyway? News Flash...the bottom half of the MWC sucks more than the bottom half of the ACC and PAC 12 sucks.

Regardless, shouldn't a top tier team in any conference clobber the weakling in thier conference?

Research before you claim dominance.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I note with great delight that since they cannot refute what I say (since it is correct), they resort to slapstick.

It's kind of cute, I like it.:lol::laugh3::peace2::deadhorse:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smiles, there is nothing factually incorrect about any of that. Well, except for the last line of course. But BSU also games the system and has taken advantage of it for years. By playing one really decent team to open a season and playing 11 mostly terrible opponents and then playing their bowl and claiming they deserve a nod for the title for being undefeated. Well, the years where they didn't accidentally lose in their one or two good games.

BSU takes advantage of the holes in the system and the SEC plays as light of a schedule as they can, but still keep winning titles. Nothing wrong with either of these if the teams involved are getting what they want.

So, why you mad bro?

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smiles, there is nothing factually incorrect about any of that. Well, except for the last line of course. But BSU also games the system and has taken advantage of it for years. By playing one really decent team to open a season and playing 11 mostly terrible opponents and then playing their bowl and claiming they deserve a nod for the title for being undefeated. Well, the years where they didn't accidentally lose in their one or two good games.

BSU takes advantage of the holes in the system and the SEC plays as light of a schedule as they can, but still keep winning titles. Nothing wrong with either of these if the teams involved are getting what they want.

So, why you mad bro?

Plays a light schedule? Horse SHIT!! The Gators, played Texas A&M, LSU, South Carolina, Georgia, & FSU last season? That is 5 of the toughest teams in the country. Additionally, Tennessee was ranked when we played them, and Vandy is much improved and a bowl winner last season. What the fuck do you people expect? This year, we play all of those teams again, except for TAMU. However, we replace them with Arkansas, AND play Miami. Again, what the fuck do you expect? This whole argument is just pure, unadulterated horse SHIT!!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plays a light schedule? Horse SHIT!! The Gators, played Texas A&M, LSU, South Carolina, Georgia, & FSU last season? That is 5 of the toughest teams in the country. Additionally, Tennessee was ranked when we played them, and Vandy is much improved and a bowl winner last season. What the fuck do you people expect? This year, we play all of those teams again, except for TAMU. However, we replace them with Arkansas, AND play Miami. Again, what the fuck do you expect? This whole argument is just pure, unadulterated horse SHIT!!

lolumadbro?

Seriously, stop looking like a retard.

The SEC plays 8 conf games. True? If they went to 9 (like the other power conferences) then half the conference would tally up an extra loss (need that math given to you?). So they CHOOSE to have 4 non conference games. And who did the gators play in the games they get to CHOOSE (hint: you don't choose your conf games bro): Bowling green, Louisiana–Lafayette, Jacksonville State, and of course the annual Florida State game.

So of the games you can control the conference as a whole chooses to lighten its load by playing less than any other power conference and Florida plays no one of any real challenge in 3 of its 4 games they get to pick. 3 of the 4 of those at home of course, as if those cream puffs could win those games at their houses even.

The point was so what? If the SEC is rewarded under the current system for making things as light as they can then wouldn't you call them idiots for not doing so? I sure would.

It was brought up at the Pac12 meetings and several head coaches expressed their desire to go to an 8 game schedule to lighten their seasons up, but there is no plans on making that change. It is expected that under the new playoff system that SoS will play a more important role and thus any school who wants to be taken more seriously will have to improve their schedules. Yes, this means the SEC will likely go to 9 within the next few years if they want their best chances at invites.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously thought the SEC fans I had met on this board so far were more realistic than the major trolls we left at cBS. I know I've seen a few who agree the SEC schedules light so I know there are smart SEC fans around these parts.

Question for tony is wouldn't you rather see them drop the 3 terrible games a year as a fan? Do you like paying full price for season tickets when 3 of your home games are total garbage? Seriously man?

I'd like to see an end to all D1 top programs EVER playing FCS teams. I'd be in favor of the ideas around the so-called super conferences where 64 teams break off and ONLY play each other. Those small schools may make some money on those games, but no one, even their own fans, can enjoy the product on the field. No one really wins with those shit games bro.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude. Mad? No. I love trash-talking about CFB. Retard? Troll? Look in the mirror.

Let me teach you something, here. It doesn't matter what your preferences are, and it doesn't matter what my preferences are. There is a system in place, and every school in the nation is obligated to work that system in a way that benefits their school to the max. Despite any of your arguments, or the Boise boys', SEC teams play just as tough of schedules as any other conference, and we don't need to play tough OOC opponents to do so. Why in the world would any smart AD want to make his schedule harder, when it is already one of the toughest in the nation? How many other teams, in this whole country, played 5 of the toughest teams in the country last year? Come back with your argument when everyone else is playing that tough of a schedule.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida cannot win games on the road outside the SEC and Florida.

So they make up every excuse in the book as to why they are smart and cowardly.

But Facts are Facts.

Floridas Road Record vs the Pac 12, Big 10 and Big 12
Pac 12 = 1-1-1 Last Win in 1958 vs UCLA
Big 12 = 0-1-1 Have Never beaten a Big 12 team on the Road in its History.
Big 10 = 1-1 Last Win in 1965 over Northwestern

That is a 2-3-2 Record. No Win since 1965.
USC is 4-4 At Ohio State.
USC is 3-1 At Oklahoma.
USC is 2-0 At Texas.
USC is 2-0 At Nebraska.
USC is 2-0 At Alabama.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida cannot win games on the road outside the SEC and Florida.

So they make up every excuse in the book as to why they are smart and cowardly.

But Facts are Facts.

Floridas Road Record vs the Pac 12, Big 10 and Big 12
Pac 12 = 1-1-1 Last Win in 1958 vs UCLA
Big 12 = 0-1-1 Have Never beaten a Big 12 team on the Road in its History.
Big 10 = 1-1 Last Win in 1965 over Northwestern

That is a 2-3-2 Record. No Win since 1965.
USC is 4-4 At Ohio State.
USC is 3-1 At Oklahoma.
USC is 2-0 At Texas.
USC is 2-0 At Nebraska.
USC is 2-0 At Alabama.

Seems to me that we beat a Big Ten team on the road for the '06 NC. And I think we might have beat a Big 12 team on the road for the '08 NC.

Nonetheless, that has nothing to do with the strength of the Gator schedule.