• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rivalry week in the Mtn. West?

Bronco754

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last week of the regular season in NCAA football is known - throughout the country - as "Rivalry week". BUT apparently those in control of the football game schedule in the Mountain West Conference just don't GET what the term "Rivalry Week" means. There are three games this week in the Mtn. West that are in fact qualifiers for "Rivalry Week" but most of the games in the MWC this week simply are NOT.

1. Boise State AT Colorado State - Boise State and Colorado State didn't start playing each other in football until Boise State joined the Mtn. West until nine years ago (in 2010). Since joining the MWC Boise State and Colorado State have played 8 times (9 after today) and the won loss record between these two teams is Boise State 8 wins - Colorado State 0 wins. So THIS is absolutely NOT a "Rivalry Game".

2. Utah State AT New Mexico - These two teams first played against each other in football back in 1951 yet the all-time won loss numbers are New Mexico 13 wins vs Utah State's 12 wins. That's a total of 25 games in 69 years (including this year). Hardly what I'd call a rivalry.

3. San Diego State at home vs. B.Y.U. The all-time record between these two schools is B.Y.U. 28 wins vs. only 7 wins for San Diego State with 1 tie. And the current SDSU coach has mentioned publicly that he wishes San Diego State never play B.Y.U. again in football. If this is a "rivalry" then it is a very lopsided one.

4. Hawaii at home vs. Army...............no need to expand on this. I think it's pretty clear this is NOT a "Rivalry Game".

Wyoming vs. Air Force, U.N.L.V. vs. Nevada and Fresno State vs. San Jose State - yes those three games do qualify as "Rivalry" games. Admittedly so. But what I would have preferred to have seen this year in the way of a rivalry game would be Boise State vs. Utah State and New Mexico vs. Colorado State and possibly Hawaii vs. San Diego State. To ME that would make a HELL of a lot more "sense" than how it worked out this year.