• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mountain West Power Rankings Week 2

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a strong week 1, the Mountain West didn't follow it up the best in week 2. Maybe I'm being picky because the conference as a whole still had a winning record against the Pac-12. Not as good as I would have hoped though.

1. Hawai'i - The jokes all week have been that Hawai'i currently leads the Pac-12 standings, I guess I'll put them atop these power rankings as well. Hawai'i started off the game poorly, but came back to win in the 2nd half. We only have the Oklahoma State game for comparison but the good news for Hawai'i is that it does seem like Oregon State can hang for a half at least. Cole McDonald also cut down big time on the turnovers. The next game is a much bigger test in Pac-12 play, not only is Hawai'i on the road for the first time this year but they're playing a much tougher team in Washington that is probably not pleased about their loss last week.

2. Wyoming - Wyoming was solid and took care of business against Texas State, nothing to write home about really but their win over Missouri looks a lot better thanks to Missouri crushing West Virginia. Next up is what should be an easy win over Idaho.

3. Boise State - I might continue to homer the Broncos in the top 10 of my SportsHoopla top 25 ballot, which by the way it's absolutely astounding no one has called me out for it. If only 4d20 was still around. Anyway while I have this safe space in this MWC board that barely anybody reads, the shine on the Florida State game is definitely gone. The strength of the team appeared to be the offense, then came the absolute stinker against Marshall where the offense was a comedy of errors. To follow that Florida State couldn't even stop UL-Monroe! Not great, this team needs to get better against Portland State who did give Arkansas a tough time in week 1 then won 70-7 over some guy named Simon Fraser.

4. Utah State - this is where they rankings really go downhill. Utah State recovered from snatching defeat from victory by blowing out Stony Brook like they should. Unrelated but does anyone remember Marcus Lattimore? I'm currently watching the replay of 2010 South Carolina vs Alabama because I was expecting college football tonight only to find that we have nothing but a currently delayed NFL game. Marcus Lattimore was so good, such a shame his career was derailed by injuries. I didn't have much to type here because Utah State has a bye this week.

5. San Diego State - their offense looked better this week. Not sure how much to read into it, on one hand UCLA's defense sucks, but on the other maybe San Diego State waited to reveal some things. They're undefeated with a win over a Pac-12 team so that will put them here for now. Now they go on the road to take on a New Mexico State team that's recovering from an Alabama beatdown.

6. Air Force- they had a bye this week but are still undefeated that puts them here for now. Big game coming up as they take on Colorado who's coming off a big win themselves. This is an in-state battle that hasn't been played since 1974!

7. Fresno State - maybe I'm punishing them too much, the good news is them giving USC a tough time looks better after USC pretty much made Stanford obsolete. Still losing to Minnesota isn't great, especially at home. Come on Fresno! They have a bye week to think about the damage they have done to this league.

8. Colorado State - Finally, Colorado State managed to handle a FCS opponent. That's progress, but they take on Arkansas on the road this week. Arkansas doesn't appear to be good so Colorado State needs to pull this off.

9. Nevada - 77-6???? I definitely didn't think they stood a chance against Oregon, but really?? They couldn't even keep it within 70!! What an awful performance. Next up is the Weber State team that lost 6-0 to San Diego State in week 1. So many repeat FCS opponents, we're just recycling them now I guess.

10. New Mexico - They had a bye week, still 1-0 currently which is forgetful for some. Can't imagine the Notre Dame game goes well.

11. UNLV - well so much for that, I mentioned their game against Arkansas State was a toss-up they needed to win. UNLV answered that by being blown out at home. Blake Anderson, who's been going through a lot did visit his team prior to the game, maybe that motivated them. UNLV plays Northwestern next, Northwestern's offense looked awful in week 1 but UNLV's defense will probably fix that.

12. San Jose State - ah yes San Jose State, thanks for reminding us why you bring up the bottom of these rankings. Hosting a Tulsa team that had a ludicrous negative 73 yards rushing the week before, San Jose State gave up over 250 yards rushing in a loss. They have a bye week this week, probably the best week they'll have the rest of the year.