• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mora Calls Mariota A "Sure Thing"

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Luck has a ridiculous number of late game comebacks under his belt already. The big problem with Luck, imo, is that he has played a lot without a running game or offensive line and thats going to lead to a short career with no championships if the Colts continue down that path.

Yes Colts need to improve overall but to get smashed like he did this year against the Pats isn't a good thing. A lot of that was on him and last year in the playoffs he threw what 4-6 Ints. Way too many Ints.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it inaccurate? Kap is the guy that everyone keeps comparing MM to. Looking at them coming out of college, MM is a faster, smarter and more accurate version.

He isn't smarter, he doesn't have Kaps arm and Kap is more suited for the NFL. Faster doesn't mean better running QB. This judgement can't be made until he plays in the NFL. In my opinion I just don't see him doing well in the NFL. After watching the OSU game he looked lost and scared.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota might be really good. Mariota could also struggle mightily in the transition to the pros from the Oregon offense; which is why Jameis vs Mariota is a legitimate debate for who the #1 QB in this draft is. I really can't say I agree with Mora here about Mariota at all. I will say this though, if there is 1 QB I'd put stock in being a franchise QB 10 years from now, it's probably Mariota.

I have a feeling both will be busts. MM may have a better chance depending on where he lands. But I think he will be average at best.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mora is an idiot.

Mariota is a great college player, great character guy, and honestly I'm rooting for the kid in the NFL (nothing against him and he seems like a good guy) but his playstyle just doesn't fit the mold. Option 1 and run QBs just generally don't pull it off. You need pocket presence and ability to progress through your throw options, something of which Mariota has not proven. I can't recall the last QB (if ever) that developed that once in the NFL. The game moves so fast at that point, it just needs to come natural as you play the position.

Maybe if Philly really goes full derp and trades the farm (would take like 3 1st round picks, multiple 2nd/3rd rounders - to go from 19 to 2, 19th overall isn't even 1/3 of the #2 overall and future 1st rounds are worth less) and gets Shady/Chip/Maclin/Ertz/Matthews he'll stand a chance, but if a team currently drafting top 10 takes him I just don't see it.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mora is an idiot.

Mariota is a great college player, great character guy, and honestly I'm rooting for the kid in the NFL (nothing against him and he seems like a good guy) but his playstyle just doesn't fit the mold. Option 1 and run QBs just generally don't pull it off. You need pocket presence and ability to progress through your throw options, something of which Mariota has not proven. I can't recall the last QB (if ever) that developed that once in the NFL. The game moves so fast at that point, it just needs to come natural as you play the position.

Maybe if Philly really goes full derp and trades the farm (would take like 3 1st round picks, multiple 2nd/3rd rounders - to go from 19 to 2, 19th overall isn't even 1/3 of the #2 overall and future 1st rounds are worth less) and gets Shady/Chip/Maclin/Ertz/Matthews he'll stand a chance, but if a team currently drafting top 10 takes him I just don't see it.
That's more of the curse of the high expectation QB's coming out of college anyway. The higher your stock going into the draft, the more likely you end up on a bad team in a bad situation where you have to be a savior and might not be given the same amount of time to develop and grow that the better teams give the guys behind their stars.

Any of the guys going in the top 10 are probably in that same position. College skills and perception or not.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College and the NFL are completely different. Before anybody says dynasty and super bowl you have to see them play. Mariota last year had 50 tds and 2 ints that's amazing but he's not going to do that this year. Very few qbs come out of college and tear it up from day 1 which is Peyton manning and Andrew luck. What makes them great not with their ability but they're smart - they know where to go. that's a trait Mariota has. Peyton does not have a great arm now but he can get by because he knows where to go with the ball that's how mariota will have success he won't beat anybody with arm strength but he will beat how Peyton beats teams now. If you want to look at another player Tom Brady he's aged and his arm has too he only throws deep down field in the middle of the field and short out side but most of his throws are short to intermediate passes and he gets away with it because he can out smart defenses and throws the ball where it needs to be. It proves you do not have to have all the athleticism in the world I mean look at Jamarcus Russell he was gifted with all kinds of talent in the world anylists said when he got drafted raiders were going to be turned around and he was going to be an elite qb but he wasn't he turned out to be a huge bust just like Ryan leaf. So this proves my point you have to wait and see what mariota can do before you go calling him elite or bust because you have yet to see him play.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College and the NFL are completely different. Before anybody says dynasty and super bowl you have to see them play. Mariota last year had 50 tds and 2 ints that's amazing but he's not going to do that this year. Very few qbs come out of college and tear it up from day 1 which is Peyton manning and Andrew luck. What makes them great not with their ability but they're smart - they know where to go. that's a trait Mariota has. Peyton does not have a great arm now but he can get by because he knows where to go with the ball that's how mariota will have success he won't beat anybody with arm strength but he will beat how Peyton beats teams now. If you want to look at another player Tom Brady he's aged and his arm has too he only throws deep down field in the middle of the field and short out side but most of his throws are short to intermediate passes and he gets away with it because he can out smart defenses and throws the ball where it needs to be. It proves you do not have to have all the athleticism in the world I mean look at Jamarcus Russell he was gifted with all kinds of talent in the world anylists said when he got drafted raiders were going to be turned around and he was going to be an elite qb but he wasn't he turned out to be a huge bust just like Ryan leaf. So this proves my point you have to wait and see what mariota can do before you go calling him elite or bust because you have yet to see him play.
I think comparing MM to Brady and Peyton is setting the bar a wee bit tall. I think he will obviously struggle this year and probably at least part of next. However, if he can stay healthy I feel he has the tools to be an upper tier QB 5 years from now.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow, that was one long sentence.....

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't they say that about a lot of prospects these days of them being a "sure thing." Pretty sure RGIII had that title when he was drafted. Heck JaMarcus Russell by a few analyst were called the best quarterback they had ever seen at his pro day. That worked out well. Every year those words are thrown out and almost every year it seems guys have to eat those words.
Yeah. Throw Blaine Gabbert in there, too.