• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mora Calls Mariota A "Sure Thing"

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which again is just another example of how stupid it is to throw those words out. There are just so many things that can go wrong in the switch from college to the pros. Some guys can hack it and some just can't. Throw in injuries have sidelined a few very good prospects as well before their careers could take off.

Now believe me I actually make Mariota but the issue for him is he needs a year or two to just sit on the bench and spend the entire time with a quarterbacks coach learning the pro game. Most of these college guys could use that big time but with it being a win now league teams just can't seem to wait like they used to.

Anymore, QB's taken in the 1st round is pretty much expected to play year one. That is a far cry from the NFL of the past and a lot of guys with enough talent get left behind.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. So true. To tell you the truth, without any hindsight, I thought it was pretty much a toss up between those two.

So you endorsing Mariota here doesn't give you that much credit if you thought Leaf was on that same level. Now given here I do think Mariota has a decent chance to outplay Winston of the two quarterbacks but more because Winston has the higher chance of doing what Manziel has done this year of partying away his opportunity. Again I like Mariota but it depends where he goes of whether I actually think he has success. If Cleveland trades up for him like there is talk then I don't like his chances. If a team like say the Texans traded up for him then I would like his chances a bit more (just thinking of teams that are in need of a quarterback).

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is this Mariota guy? Are there any relevant threads? Can I find them in the Nebraska team forums?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone checked mettenberger success in the nfl lately? How about the titans? Second overall draft pick for 2015? What's that mean?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anymore, QB's taken in the 1st round is pretty much expected to play year one. That is a far cry from the NFL of the past and a lot of guys with enough talent get left behind.

Well I would think more teams would realize the need to invest in a quarterback that can sit a year or two considering the best quarterback in the league was one that sat a few years while learning the game. I honestly am surprised more teams haven't adopted this style of getting a quarterback of the future. You are starting to see though teams do it a little more in Denver and New England both using a 2nd round pick on a quarterback to develop for a few years while their HOF quarterbacks finish up their career. I think if both of those situations work out well for the teams you will see that quickly become the norm again of trying to develop a quarterback.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the draft has produced 8-10 Franchise Qbs in the past 10 years depending on your definition of Franchise QB. Saying any QB is a sure thing is ridiculous.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you endorsing Mariota here doesn't give you that much credit if you thought Leaf was on that same level. Now given here I do think Mariota has a decent chance to outplay Winston of the two quarterbacks but more because Winston has the higher chance of doing what Manziel has done this year of partying away his opportunity. Again I like Mariota but it depends where he goes of whether I actually think he has success. If Cleveland trades up for him like there is talk then I don't like his chances. If a team like say the Texans traded up for him then I would like his chances a bit more (just thinking of teams that are in need of a quarterback).

I really wasn't going that far out on the limb to say that anyone is a "sure thing". I think Mariota does have a good chance of being an above-average to outstanding Pro QB. But like stated before, the QB position seems to have the biggest "bust factor" of any other position. Only time will tell.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking marcus Mariota here people, the heisman winner, this isn't Tim Couch.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the draft has produced 8-10 Franchise Qbs in the past 10 years depending on your definition of Franchise QB. Saying any QB is a sure thing is ridiculous.

:agree:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota might be really good. Mariota could also struggle mightily in the transition to the pros from the Oregon offense; which is why Jameis vs Mariota is a legitimate debate for who the #1 QB in this draft is. I really can't say I agree with Mora here about Mariota at all. I will say this though, if there is 1 QB I'd put stock in being a franchise QB 10 years from now, it's probably Mariota.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is a sure thing. But MM is a pretty dam good football player. I'll take him at #10 overall if he's there.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking marcus Mariota here people, the heisman winner, this isn't Tim Couch.
Mariota's NFL career wouldve been better if he left last year and backed someone up learning the NFL game.

Manziel won a Heisman.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do we know though? I mean Tim Couch was considered by many to be the next big quarterback to come into the NFL and boom failed miserably. This happens all the time of a quarterback getting hyped up and then failing big time. I mean look at Tim Tebow as one could make the argument he put up way better numbers passing and running compared to that of Mariota and was a Heisman winner yet he is out of the league. RGIII is another heisman winner hyped up big time with a big arm and some of the fastest speed seen at the quarterback position since Michael Vick yet he could struggle to find even a possible job this upcoming season.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is a sure thing. But MM is a pretty dam good football player. I'll take him at #10 overall if he's there.
I would, too, just to move on from Bradford getting hurt every year. He is the Teddy Bridgewater of this draft. People are picking him apart but he still has what you're looking for even if its not going to show up in Week 1.