• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mora Calls Mariota A "Sure Thing"

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't even put luck as a sure thing. He hasn't done well in playoffs.
From a prospect standpoint, Luck was considerably less risky than Manning. Peyton was not a sure thing which is why we was being matched up with Ryan Leaf and a lot of the teams that didn't actually get Peyton in to look at him had Leaf higher on their boards.

As far as I can tell, Luck, Eli and Carson Palmer are the only guys in recent memory that have been 'sure things'

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, so a college head coach that failed to make it in the NFL himself and has zero credibility at that level is thread/newsworthy for his assessment of a kid he never coached why? :noidea:

Duck fans may have entirely taken over the CFB general board, but really fuck off with this lame shit on the NFL board.

It is relevant because Mora has watched pretty much every snap that Mariota has taken in his college football career as he has had to game plan for him for the past two seasons. It has been his job in trying to figure out how to stop Oregon and MM. That is the relevance. It is not a Duck thing. It is an NFL thing and it is relevant. It is a viewpoint from an opposing coach, who is also a coach with NFL experience. Why wouldn't that be relevant in the upcoming NFL draft where MM is expected to be a top 10 pick?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, think Mariota's going to be a good 1 going forward.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a prospect standpoint, Luck was considerably less risky than Manning. Peyton was not a sure thing which is why we was being matched up with Ryan Leaf and a lot of the teams that didn't actually get Peyton in to look at him had Leaf higher on their boards.

As far as I can tell, Luck, Eli and Carson Palmer are the only guys in recent memory that have been 'sure things'

I'd go so far to say as there have only been two prospects in almost 50 years that have truly been sure things: Luck and Elway.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember some funny Tebow comparisons a few years ago because of that. It really does call into question what expectations are for the drafted QB's these days.

QB is the most fickle position for sure. The Free Agency Era has brought about some lofty expectations for them for sure. No longer do teams have the luxury of drafting one early and then having 2-3 years to develop them as a starter which, I think, brings in the "bust" factor to a higher degree than it used to be.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go so far to say as there have only been two prospects in almost 50 years that have truly been sure things: Luck and Elway.
Kiper would agree. I remember watching Mayock break down Luck and said that while he was a great prospect, he was on the same level as Bradford coming out so its not like he was a guarantee lock that others were predicting.

Also of note in this thread: Mora puts Mayock on a pedestal he doesn't really deserve anymore

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiper would agree. I remember watching Mayock break down Luck and said that while he was a great prospect, he was on the same level as Bradford coming out so its not like he was a guarantee lock that others were predicting.

Also of note in this thread: Mora puts Mayock on a pedestal he doesn't really deserve anymore

I agree, Luck still has a long ways to go. He needs a lot of improvement to move up in that Top Tier. His problem is late in games and decision making. His decision making isn't great. Throws a lot of big time Ints. He is very talented and once he improves he will be fine.

1 Problem; can he improve? Everyone has been waiting for Dalton to turn that corner and he hasn't. In a way Luck is some what like Stafford.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A faster, smarter, more accurate Kaepernick

Nope, come back when He can reach the levels Kap has already, 2 NFC championship games, a super bowl and a winning playoff record. Please stop being a idiot. No one mention Kap and u have to go ahead and try to throw an in accurate statement.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, come back when He can reach the levels Kap has already, 2 NFC championship games, a super bowl and a winning playoff record. Please stop being a idiot. No one mention Kap and u have to go ahead and try to throw an in accurate statement.

How is it inaccurate? Kap is the guy that everyone keeps comparing MM to. Looking at them coming out of college, MM is a faster, smarter and more accurate version.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Luck still has a long ways to go. He needs a lot of improvement to move up in that Top Tier. His problem is late in games and decision making. His decision making isn't great. Throws a lot of big time Ints.
Pretty sure Luck has a ridiculous number of late game comebacks under his belt already. The big problem with Luck, imo, is that he has played a lot without a running game or offensive line and thats going to lead to a short career with no championships if the Colts continue down that path.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Luck has a ridiculous number of late game comebacks under his belt already. The big problem with Luck, imo, is that he has played a lot without a running game or offensive line and thats going to lead to a short career with no championships if the Colts continue down that path.

Football Outsiders would lead us to believe the Indy O-line is actually underrated when it comes to pass protection with an adjusted sack rate of 4.8% to rank 7th. Meanwhile, their run blocking had a predictably mediocre composite score of 15th.

Not saying it's valid, but it's an interesting perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football Outsiders would lead us to believe the Indy O-line is actually underrated when it comes to pass protection with an adjusted sack rate of 4.8% to rank 7th. Meanwhile, their run blocking had a predictably mediocre composite score of 15th.

Not saying it's valid, but it's an interesting perspective.
Maybe putting the blame on the offensive line isnt quite right. Luck had:

107 QB hits in 2014 (4th worst), 16 more in the postseason.
109 QB hits in 2013 (3rd worst), 14 more in the postseason.
116 QB hits in 2012 (2nd worst), 10 more in the postseason

A lot of those teams who were worse didn't have a regular QB. Its a big issue for them, imo, if they want to avoid what has happened with Aaron Rodgers.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what Hundley thinks of his coach gushing over another QB.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a sure thing Mora ? Isn't that why you drafted the Aaron Curry the surest thing of them all ....??